Edwards allows UT to make push for OL Hall

Tennessee is making a late push for Marcus Hall.

The 6-foot-5, 290-pound offensive lineman from Glenville High School in Cleveland, Ohio, will visit UT this weekend.

Hall, who’s also considering Ohio State and Miami, said he still has a lot to learn about UT.

“Tennessee kind of made a late push for me because they kind of got their coaching staff together late,” Hall said. “I’m just looking to see what they have to offer.”

UT’s coaching staff was able to convince Hall’s teammate, cornerback Mike Edwards, to commit to the Vols during his official visit last weekend.

Edwards said after his visit that he would try to sway Hall toward UT.

“I’m going to try to get him to be a Volunteer,” Edwards told the News Sentinel.

Hall is still getting to know UT’s coaching staff. He said his closest relationship was with former running backs coach Stan Drayton, who left for Syracuse earlier this month.

Hall said he’s building a nice relationship with head coach Lane Kiffin and offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Jim Chaney.

“Coach Kiffin is really down to earth and good from what I’ve seen,” Hall said. “They have a great coaching staff. They should be heading for success.”

Miami had a successful time hosting Hall last weekend.

Hall said he enjoyed his trip to Miami. He also found the pros and cons to signing with the Hurricanes.

“It’s a private school and not a real big campus,” said Hall, who claimed he doesn’t have a leader. “There aren’t so many people that you’re going to get lost in the crowd.

“Obviously with Miami there’s warm weather and a lot of distractions around the campus. That’s the negative thing about it.”

Ohio State is widely thought to be the team to beat for Hall’s services.

Glenville, which is coached by Ted Ginn Sr., annually sends top prospects to Ohio State.

“A lot of guys from here go there,” Hall said. “It’s a real good school. They have a real solid coaching staff.”

Hall said Edwards hasn’t applied too much recruiting effort.

“He just talked about me seeing it for myself,” Hall said.

Hall said he plans to make his college choice after he returns from UT and announce his decision on Monday.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GreenDevilVol writes:

This is one we need to get. Hall would possibly be a starter next year.Here's to reeling in the big boys this week !!!!!

bluetick writes:

Seems to be working. Thanks Mr. Edwards! I'm sure if the coaching staff wants him bad enough they will fill his ears with some good sounds. With no clear leader it seems the stadium and workout facilities would be enough to sway him. We sure need him.

dvhill100 writes:

If it is based on facilities, we will be hands down winner. Let the schmoozing begin.

txvolsfan writes:

Kiffin sure is sparking some interest, next year could be scary with a full year!!!

bobbytodd writes:

I bet we lose him. You know why? We don't give out stickers for good plays. My 1st grade teacher did for good grades and I did very well. Ask my mom.

hotrodvol writes:

He is probably one of the top five players left on UT's board. Great size, great school, and someone in the trenches.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Kiffin is still battling even with the late start.

utmdm writes:

in response to bobbytodd:

Personally not interest in seeing helmets covered with stickers. I like to see that Big Orange T.

utmdm writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Kiffin is still battling even with the late start.

Hey PD, Quit mailing all our fritters out to TJ. Reckin they will have any orange iced in honor of the big signing day?

rckymtngator writes:

Keep dreaming, this kid is not going to sign with UT. He wants to go someplace where he can play for a championship. He is just coming to Knoxville for the BBQ.

blitzshoot writes:

Getting Hall would be huge. Going to be a good one.
The rumor is that all defensive lineman must present a
Hall pass before getting by him...
try the veal, I'm here all week.

invisiblekid writes:

Hall would be a tremendous pickup and, if Edwards helped to land him, would automatically earn his scholarship if he never played anything but special teams.

We need big guys for trench warfare in the worst way. Next year's class may wind up being 20 offensive and defensive line prospects.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to blitzshoot:

Getting Hall would be huge. Going to be a good one.
The rumor is that all defensive lineman must present a
Hall pass before getting by him...
try the veal, I'm here all week.

Nice one Blitz...I am a sucker for cheesey jokes!!!

bobbytodd writes:

in response to rckymtngator:

Stick it rckymtnoyster...See how I did that?..Now that had some whit to it. Your post on the other hand lacked thought. Thanks for playing.

utchris writes:

He would be a great grab, but I bet our OL will look a lot better next year. Word that I have heard is that their conditioning on a daily basis consist of them getting told they are FAT and out of shape. Then they run sprints until someone pukes.

DennisVols writes:

This staff has been behind the 8 ball. Following a bad season, having to put together a staff while struggling to keep the current commitments CLK has done a good job to this point.
If CLK an company can bring UT back to being competitive this year next years recruiting class will be a top 5 class.

BillsBrother writes:

Picking up a top prospect like this next Monday would be huge! His commitment would certainly be a positive impact on those that are waiting until Wednesday to announce.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to bama987:

Good point, Bama. Our OL was a failure last year for 2 reasons

1.) Horrendous offensive schemes, aka "The Clawfense"

2.) A first year starter that had trouble making reads, thanks to said offense, and subsequently held the ball tooooo long. Not to mention the rest of the problems he had.

When we were running Cut's O, it was one they were comfortable with, plus the fact that we had a senior QB that could get the ball out of his hands quick. Our O line will me substantially better this year, maybe even comparable to the squad that only gave up 4 sacks in '07. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

tngivem6 writes:

in response to bobbytodd:

Who's saids we don't give out stickers?..Maybe Coach kiffin bring in a new tradition..
bunch of lil smokeys on the back of the helmet
tiny lil power T's would be over kill..
can see black stars..
that would make all the people wanting black in the uniforms happy

tngivem6 writes:

in response to tngivem6:

bunch of lil smokeys on the back of the helmet
tiny lil power T's would be over kill..
can see black stars..
that would make all the people wanting black in the uniforms happy

or how about tiny checkerboards..orange and white .
can you image what Eric Berry's helmet would look like after the season..
of course UT has a few stickers already from what I can remember

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to Scotty_Hopson32:

I have been to the shoe,it a very nice facility for sure. I believe what gets them here is the back drop to Neyland..Tennessee River,The Hill,just a better over all atmosphere.

I hope you are right,some quality players have come from that school.

ThaiVolFan writes:

in response to bobbytodd:

Hilarious! Nice post

givehim6 writes:

Have to hand it to CLK has attattracting some bid fish, may not real them all in but with every cact of the line he makes, hes building a bridge fo r UT's future.

BuckheadVol1 writes:

in response to bama987:

First thing I have ever heard Bama say that made sence. Actually agree with you for a change.

Vol_fan_in_Tampa writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

I hope you are right,some quality players have come from that school.

It's also kinda nice to think that the largest stadium in your conference @ 100K+ fans is full of the ones cheering for you!

Unlike Michigan.

Come on Hall.... You will see why the South is soooo attractive this weekend!

1vol writes:

This would go a long way in getting Brown...

yeavols#228407 writes:

Don't respond to the interlopers...they are coming at a faster pace now..knowing that we are gaining ground with the recruits and our staff has national recognition..they are wringing their hands and having an anxiety attack.

ALL_VOL75 writes:

be a VOL

Vol4life77 writes:

in response to bama987:

It was the same exact line, but the main difference was Clawson vs. Cutcliff. The stupid a** blocking assignments Clawson had the mdoing obviously was not productive. Now with a pro-style offense these boys will be eating pancakes every Sat!!! GO VOLS!!

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to bama987:

Clawson is a strange cat when you first meet him...but he does come around. And given a chance to implement his system and get the correct personnel in place, success won't be far behind. It took him a couple years in Richmond and then they were near unstoppable. He has a VERY complex offensive scheme and it takes a while to get it going efficiently. All our guys were recruited to Cut's offensive style and those skillsets just didn't translate to Clawson's. Best of luck to him at any rate.

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to bama987:

Dead on...couldn't agree more.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

we won't get him, and it's a shame. If we had better success in the last couple of years, maybe.

we need strong o and d linemen. I don't give a rat's a## about skill players. they are a dime a dozen.

Look at the last 3 NC's. each one of them could DOMINATE the line of scrimmage when they needed to. We can't, not like we used to do when we owned the states of SC and GA in recruiting.

govols22231 writes:

My contact in Columbus Ohio says Tressel will be in Memphis tomorrow to see Mr. Brown...

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

Rich,

Good Post as usual!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

Falls in love,that is the whole point rich.My wife is from the Columbus area,came here to visit family and has been here ever since.

Yes, OSU does have nice facilities,stadium, etc. but, they don't have the VOL NAVY,The Tennessee River ,The Hill, and 100,000 + fans in the stands. The river behind the Shoe is nothing more than a creek,no hills what so ever in Ohio(only east).

Hall will fall in LOVE with all we have to offer,especially the Great Smokey Mountains,and us wild adoring fans of UT VOLS !!

Volunatic writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

It's pretty rare for a freshman OL to be a starter in the SEC. Do you think Hall is up to the task?

Volunatic writes:

in response to bama987:

The '07 OL at UT was good at pass-blocking, but were poor run-blockers. The '08 edition didn't do much of anything well, though.

Volunatic writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

If we are "gaining ground", as you say (and I hope you're right), then that's all the more reason to respond to the so-called "interlopers".
Despite the name "GoVolsXtra", this isn't really a Vol site, it's a KNS site. KNS covers the Vols because Vol news is Knoxville news, but KNS has never shown any loyalty to our team.

Volunatic writes:

in response to UTVol4Life80:

Clawful was sold to us as a guy who could modify his offense to suit the players he had. It was pretty obvious he wasn't capable of doint that.
That said, I'd LOVE to see UT have the same luck Richmond had-- winning a championship the year after Clawful LEAVES.

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Hall has the size and capability do just that. His team mate Edwards was way under rated too.

TommyJack writes:

in response to utmdm:

Do not encourage fritterus interruptus.

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

Rich,

Everything you say is true,but once a Hall,Edwards,comes our way,and they see what this area really and truthfully has to offer,its hard to turn down.Most of these CITY kids still get the feel of home,but know that the mountains can offer that get away feeling too.

BTW,I have seen a body or two floating in the Erie as well.Seriously,I feel knowing that immediate playing time and coaches that can assure a player like Hall will be watched over and given the necessary tools to go beyond the college level.

Have this gut feeling we get Hall,Brown,Myles,Patterson for sure,and a couple more we will not know about until NSD.Have to feel good about some that have went soft on verbals and are looking UT's way,Jeffery,Graves,Kirkpatrick,Randle,Moore.

GreenDevilVol writes:

Is under rated on word.."underrated" lol.

dehvols writes:

I am pumped about the group of visitors we are hosting this weeked. Today also happens to be my birthday and I would be perfectly satisfied with landing Marlon Brown and Marcus Hall without recieving another gift. Of course I wouldn't object to getting committments from any of the other guys visiting. Get 'em in here. Go Vols!

Volunatic writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

If he's one of the elite few that can pull that off, then I sure hope we get him.
I definitely agree with your prior post about OL being an immediate need.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to utmdm:

True story- When TJ's frau asked if he wanted to split one, she got the "not on your life look".

They have that impact and are lethal with vanilla ice cream.