'Little brother' Hall is standing tall

Incoming freshman adjusting to college

Hall

Hall

Tennessee incoming freshman Kenny Hall takes the floor each time with a chip on his shoulder.

"I know my opponents look at me and think they'll push me around,'' said Hall, who at 6-foot-8 weighs only 215 pounds. "But you're gonna have to really overpower me if you want to do that.''

Hall, who enrolled in UT in June for the first term of summer school, averaged 15.7 points per game playing in the Pilot Rocky Top League, hitting shots at a .535 clip.

"I feel like I'm improving every game out,'' Hall said. "I feel like I've learned a little bit of what it takes to play at the next level.''

Hall signed with the Vols out of Stone Mountain, Ga., last November after earning All-State honors and being ranked No. 55 overall in the nation by ESPN.

He admits it has been a challenging transition. He's the only freshman signee and has to learn the college life on his own.

"I'm not used to working out first thing in the morning, going to class, then working out again, then back to class, then papers and homework,'' Hall said. "Really, I'm still adjusting to all of that.''

Hall said he's viewed as the "little brother'' to most all of the players in the program. UT returns every player from last year's SEC East championship team except Ryan Childress.

"They've taken me in, and I really look up to them and try to emulate the things they are doing on and off the court,'' Hall said. "I'm just now getting to know Tyler (Smith) better, and I'm anxious for him to teach me a lot of stuff.''

Hall appears as though he could contribute immediately. He defends fiercely in the paint, moves his feet relatively well on the perimeter, he's a quick leaper and he can run the floor.

"I take my craft pretty serious,'' said Hall, who projects as a power forward. "This is my life, right here, on the basketball court.

"I have a passion to win, and I'll do whatever it takes for us to win.''

Swiper Boy: UT rising sophomore Renaldo Woolridge - known as "Swiper Boy'' on his hip-hop CDs - had a good summer in the recording studio but a rough go of it in the Rocky Top League.

Woolridge strained his left knee while working out at his father's pre-NBA camp for 10 days in Greenville, S.C., then got knocked out for a game in a collision with former UT star Chris Lofton.

"I just got the stitches out of my chin, but it's kinda cool to have a scar from Chris Lofton,'' Woolridge said with a smile. "I tried to get back in the swing of things, but it has been a tough month.''

Woolridge averaged a modest 11 points per game - lowest of the current Vols who played in the Rocky Top League.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bluetick writes:

He has the right attitude if nothing else. Should take him far.

Volzo writes:

I like Hall's attitude!

Go Vols!!

Chris4Vols22 writes:

Hall is legit. He was showing some great post moves in the consolation game. What's wrong with being 6'8 and "only" 215 lbs? T. Smith is an inch shorter and weighs 215 lbs but he's not underweight. If there's any concern about weight on the team, I would say Scotty is underweight...unless it hasn't been updated, he's listed below 190 and he's in the neighborhood of 6'7.

movol53 writes:

All need be done is to get Hall in the weight room and build him up a little. He does not have to get huge; like in football; just tone up and add little more muscle. With our new strength coach (does he work only with football or all sports?)he should be fine. He's only 18 - 19 heck he might even grow so more!!!

BasketVols writes:

Can't wait to see what this kid brings to the team.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Good posts. Good attitude. Keep it up Vols (players and fans).

Orange_Swarm1 writes:

Hopson is now 206 lbs. Here is a bit of the article about him.

"This year, I have more confidence," Hopson said. "After working on my game, it gave me confidence. I always had the ability to do it, but now I've got the confidence to go out and get the job done.

"I really took off when Coach (Bruce Pearl) gave us some time off (after the season). When I got back in the gym, I just wanted to go 110 percent and get better."

Hopson, who said he's up to 206 pounds and "a lot stronger," has made an impression this summer on JaJuan Smith, who's still looking to earn a spot on an NBA roster.

"He's put a lot of work in this summer," JaJuan Smith said of Hopson. "I've been in the gym with him. He's a real hungry kid right now. Last year, it was all his high-school name. Now, he knows where he stands, and he's ready to go."

-------------------------

Link:

Orange_Swarm1 writes:

in response to bamacheats:

He is dead?!?! Its not like I havent seen a Michael Jackson tribute all over tv or anything like that...

b_neas writes:

sorry but i do not ever see Renaldo contributing....he is not quick, does not jump well and shoots a set shot from 3pt line....with all the talent coming in next year, im thinking he may be a bust

txvolsfan writes:

Bruce just continues to bring in the quick athletes that fit his system. We will have more waves this year coming off the bench!!!
Tyler Smith Kenny Hall Renaldo Woolridge
Scotty Hopson Cameron Tatum Emanuel Negadu
Wayne Chism Brian Williams Steven Pearl
JP Prince Josh Tabb
Bobby Maze Melvin Goin

Wow, we will be able to go a good 10-12 deep with not
a lot of drop off in talent.
This should be the first year that Bruce really runs,runs,runs,runs!!!
As TO would say, "Better get your popcorn, cause this will be a show"

VolFanNC writes:

Good article. This is the best chance I have seen for TN to make a run into the great 8. Can't wait to see the Kentucky/TN games this year now that Meeks is gone and it is a brand new lineup for KY.

wagee12 writes:

bamacheats writes:
BREAKING NEWS!

Jimmy Hyams is now reporting that Michael Jackson has died.

Also being suggested by HiYams and Griff that new Tennessee football staff somehow involved!

Chris4Vols22 writes:

Have any of you seen this guy? He's not skinny.

kiffownsfla writes:

Sad day TN SPORTS FANS STEVE MACNAIR SHOT and died not sure how.: wsm nbc reporting out of nashville

BasketVols writes:

God just got a new starting QB...

RIP Air McNair, you will be greatly missed by all fans of football...

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

seems like a lot of bad things happening to Tn. related sports stars. Prayers to the families.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to A_VOICE_OF_REASON:

who is this totally ignorant dummy that only posts negative lies???

Ringleader writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

He all but says that he is going to USC, but would like to make official visits before announcing. He lists UT third, and the Gators second.
We should have known he was not commiting to UT when he refused to work out.