Terry Moore, who played football for Clinton and UT, killed in tree-cutting accident

CLINTON — Terry Moore, who starred in football at Clinton High School and later played fullback for University of Tennessee in the early 1970s, died Saturday morning in an apparent tree-cutting accident. He was 55.

“He loved the Orange, and he loved his family,” said his wife, Brenda. “He loved the Lord, and he used his life to serve the Lord. He was ready.”

Moore was using a chainsaw to clear some trees near his home on Daysprings Lane outside town around 10:30 a.m. when one of the trees fell and “jerked back on him,” his wife said.

“It hit him in the chest,” she said.

A helicopter carried Moore to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville, where he died, the wife said.

Moore played football at Clinton from 1970-71 and at UT from 1972-76.

“He was the first freshman who ever played on the varsity team,” she said.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TD_4_UT writes:

Very sorry to hear about this. I think I can remember seeing him play, but my memory is not what it used to be.

OldSmokey writes:

Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

He was a very good athlete...sad to see such a tragic accident

MaxPower writes:

I heard him speak at church a couple of times. Seemed like a great guy. Very sad to hear.

mattingly writes:

Terry was a teammate of Larry Seivers and was probably the more heralded prospect. The other Clinton product that came with Moore and Seivers was Russell Williams. This is a sad, sad story.

WhitePineVol77 writes:

He played while I was at UT with Greg "Hasai" Jones, Larry Seviers anD Condredge Holloway. He was truly an athlete and a great role model for younger players.

MillisaAnn writes:

Prayers are with his family.

teampenny#658108 writes:

Sorry to hear, another Vol passing.

chad_t31 writes:

Another tragic loss. Prayers are with his family.

"he was ready"....sounds like he had his life in order.

jsnewman writes:

Terry was great guy and everyone who ever met him loved him. He was a Pastor, Father, Husband and Volunteer but the one thing that mattered most, he was a follower of Jesus Christ. This morning surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, I bet it was allot like running thru the “T” at Neyland Stadium… instead of hearing, “It’s football time in Tennessee” I’m quite certain he heard, “Well done thy good and faithful servant”

Down_The_Field writes:

a special prayer to the family of a fellow Dragon alum and letterman.

we'll miss you Terry......GOD's called you home......you're work here is done.

tnbud62#231266 (Inactive) writes:

my prayers to the Terry Moore family,Iremember him well at UT playing all 4 yrs and giving it his all every game,my prayers are with his family and he is looking down from streets of gold now

volsoutwest writes:

in response to jsnewman:

Well said js. Thanks and God bless the Moore family.

FWBVol writes:

I knew Terry at Calvary Baptist. I wish I had known him better as he always had a smile on his face and was willing to reach out and help those around him in service to his Lord.

This is a tragic loss, but Terry Moore has fought the good fight and finished the course. Now he has entered into the joy of his Lord. I look forward to the day when I join Terry in Heaven.

My prayers are with Brenda and the family that God's grace will comfort them in this time of loss.

golfballs03 writes:

He was such a good person. I'm glad that he was able to touch so many lives with his time here.

rockytopatl writes:

Terry was overshadowed by classmate Larry Seivers at UT, but he was one of the greatest Dragons ever. We alums of old CSHS were proud of him and mourn his loss.

crimsonviper writes:

Sorry for the loss VOL fans.Prayers for peace for the family.

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Sorry for the loss VOL fans.Prayers for peace for the family.

Classy post,Crimsonviper.Seems that most Bama fans are alright people.Unlike most Gator fans.

rockyknox writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

It was my understanding that Moore had a condition on signing with UT. Offer a scholarship to my teamate Larry Seivers as well and I will come. Of course Vols fans know the rest of the story. All of Clinton and the Vol Nation mourn his passing.

voloffaith writes:

I remember Terry as a student as well taking classes with him on the Hill. Was a follower of Lord Jesus then as I recall. May the Lord Jesus comfort his family and increase their faith!

suzq0406#248526 writes:

My heart was absolutely broken in two when I heard the news about my dear brother and former pastor yesterday morning...just couldn't believe what I was hearing. So many wonderful memories of this very special friend. There are no words to describe what kind of man Terry was. It will take me a very long time to fully grasp that he's gone and that I won't see his smiling face again until I join him in Heaven around the throne. I loved him with all my heart, as well as his precious wife, Brenda. May the God of all peace bring much-needed comfort to his family, as well as all who ever had the awesome privilege to know this man and call him friend. Suzy Beard

DennisVols writes:

I knew Terry well. Went to Clinton HS with him and Larry Seviers. His mom and my mom worked together in O.R.. I used to have one of his game tear-away jersery's from a Bama game.
He did missionary work for years following college.
He was a great man and a great Vol.
My prayers go out to his family and church.

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

I played with Terry in Jr High at Norwood (along with Russell Williams, David Fritts and against Larry Seivers). Worked out with Terry, Russell and David in Terry's basement the summer prior to our first year at Clinton (at that time David Fritts was by far the best prospect but had knee injuries that limited his HS career and I believe he ended up at MTSU). I wasn't close to the athlete they were but they made me feel welcome. Soon after that our paths went separate ways (a slow small guard doesn't last too long even at Clinton) and I mover west after HS graduation, but I remember Terry well as a kind and considerate classmate. From the above posts it sounds like he grew into a fine man as well.

My condolences to his family.

IdahoAl writes:

in response to NorthwestVol:

My condolences to his family.

Yes, Terry was a great guy. He treated everyone with great respect. I was the first "reporter" to cover Terry, Russell, David and Larry. This is Alvin Bunch. I moved West after I graduated from UT. If you read this, contact me at alvinbunch@gmail.com. I'm in Boise.

fanofmw writes:

This is so sad. My prayers and thoughts go out to this family. Yes it has been a terrible year so far. At least for me starting with the loss of my mom then going to sister and now others following along. I dont think I like this 2009 yr.

BigOrangeVol writes:

in response to rabidvolfan:

It truly is a terrible loss but please don't mention McNair in the same sentence regarding a story about Terry Moore unless it is in contrast.