Edwards likes competition in UT defensive backfield

Aside from quarterback, which position has the most pressing need in terms of recruiting?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Mike Edwards is ready to prove he belongs at the University of Tennessee.

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound cornerback from Glenville High School in Cleveland, Ohio, will begin summer classes and workouts at UT today.

Edwards said his high school success won’t mean anything when he begins his UT career.

“I haven’t done anything yet,” he said. “I feel like me coming down there, I’m just another person that’s trying to succeed in football. I have to work harder than I’ve ever worked in my life.”

Edwards knows he’ll have to work hard to earn playing time in UT’s crowded defensive backfield.

He is one of five defensive backs signed in 2009, joining Eric Gordon, Janzen Jackson, Darren Myles and Nyshier Oliver.

Marsalis Teague, another 2009 signee, could see time at defensive back if UT’s staff decides he’s better suited to play defense than offense.

Edwards said the competition among the incoming defensive backs should make everyone better.

“It’s always great to have great defensive backs around you because sometimes you have to be the best athletes on the field,” he said. “It’s just pieces that we have to put together, but I believe it’s going to be a great group of defensive backs.”

Edwards said he began building relationships with his fellow signees after he signed with UT in February.

Edwards said he and his teammates are determined to play well for coach Lane Kiffin. who has spoken confidently about rebuilding the Vols since arriving in December.

“That’s what we’re supposed to do as players, is back up our coach in any situation,” Edwards said. “I believe with him deciding to pick us to come to his school that he will back us up in any situation.

“It’s all up to the players and the coaching staff to make this program work.”

Edwards comes from a program that has worked as well as any in the country.

Glenville has produced a number of NFL players, including wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. (Miami), safety Donte Whitner (Buffalo) and former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Troy Smith (Baltimore).

Edwards said he believes his experience at Glenville has prepared him to play at the college level.

“Glenville’s program is on the level of a college program,” he said. “I’m going to be advanced in some areas, but there are going to be some areas I’ll definitely need some work on and definitely need to improve on.

“I’m ready to know what I’ve got to get better in and what I have to work on.”

Edwards hopes his work will result in championships for UT.

He said he believes that will happen if his teammates have the same mindset.

“I just want people that are on the same focus as I am and that’s winning a national championship down there in Knoxville,” Edwards said.

hotrodvol writes:

I hope he likes competion, because the DBs that Monte will keep bringing in will always be top notch. Here is a good read on three UT prospects UT needs.

tngivem6 writes:

This article could shed a little light on Scroggins..isn't he supposed to announce his decision this week instead of July 25th as originally planned?

Might be why he moved his choice up..so others can climb aboard the BIG ORANGE EXPRESS!!!

ZacharyUTK writes:

THIRD!!!!

tngivem6 writes:

The article I'm referring to was actually the link hotrodvol posted not the KNS article..
nice find hotrodvol..

gohawks1 writes:

Can't wait to see these young guns in action. Pay attention to Eric Berry, fellas. He'll make you an even better student of the game. Go Vols!

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to ZacharyUTK:

THIRD!!!!

Is that your prediction on our finish in the East of SEC?

qspr91iz writes:

Welcome to UT young man. You will be playing for a national championship in the next two to three years. This coaching staff is rebuilding our talent and I think UT will be powerful in 2012.
GO VOLS!!!!!!

tngivem6 writes:

If Leifheit is to end up in orange, the Vols will have to continue their full pursuit, but also land a top line quarterback.

"I think it definitely helps," said Leifheit, who is rated by Rivals.com as a 4-star offensive tackle in the class of 2010.

"(Scroggins) is a top tier quarterback and as an offensive lineman I always wants to protect a good quarterback. Plus I think it helps recruiting because other players will follow a quarterback."

voloffaith writes:

in response to ZacharyUTK:

THIRD!!!!

WOW Your post was an accurate assessment of the Vol secondary and helped me to better understand.Your stating the objective of each player gave me great insight into how the position is to be played. Let me be the FIRST to congratulate on this monumental achievement.

I think you meant third down right?

ON TOPIC, Vol secondary all need the attitude that they need to be better and do so by pushing each other to excellence.

GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows writes:

in response to tngivem6:

I hope your right but I heard that USC is putting the pressure on him to commit right away. I saw a little of Mike Edwards play in a OH vs. PENN high school all star game and he played with a lot of emotion. His attitude reminded me of Fred Weary. He was jumping up and down in between plays and getting his teammates fired up. He will be fun to watch.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to hotrodvol:

Thanks for the link

gohawks1 writes:

Nice link, hotrod. Enjoyed the read.

chad_t31 writes:

I still have to question scroggins' decision if he does choose USC. They are set for atleast the next three years. If another top flight qb surfaces over the next couple of years you know USC is going to be all over him.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to chad_t31:

I agree. I read that dad is applying pressure for him to become a trojan, though. If he chooses that path, he could find himself in a backup QB role for most of his college years. Sounds like s bad career move to me, when he could become a Vol and be the goto man almost immediately.

chad_t31 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Is this for 2010 recruiting or the upcoming season?

GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows writes:

in response to gohawks1:

I read that Scroggins would redshirt his first year and that Barkley would probabley go pro after his Jr. season. That would leave Scroggins two years to start and just down the road from daddy.

Irwin_Linker writes:

in response to gatorz7:

hahahaha...do you ever get off the computer? Sad my friend...very sad

hotrodvol writes:

in response to GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows:

That is Scroggins' logic in choosing USC, if he does. But I think he is mature enough to say the right things on all three schools that are after him.

Here is a little something on rivals about each coach, who they are recruiting etc., it's preaty cool.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows:

That makes a little more sense now. I still believe the competition will be stiff as they have several QBs on board already with more on the way.

txvolsfan writes:

If Scroggins goes to SC that says a lot about him not being afraid to compete, but I say if he does he will never be a starter. I think he could come to UT and be a rock star but he's 18 and everyone is telling him he is the greatest thing in the world, so you never really know what they will do!!!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to gatorz7:

Get used to it that is where the Gators will be very, very soon....

GreenDevilVol writes:

Scroggins and his bud, will be coming to UT on an unofficial this coming week,to announce that he ............

IS ALL VOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

y9since80 writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

IS ALL VOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure do hope you are right.Do you have information or is this a predicition?

GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

IS ALL VOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's Great News! What I have been reading hasn't been looking that good.

hotrodvol writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

IS ALL VOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greendevil, have you got a source or are you just throwing that out there?
By the way I graduated from GHS myself, '84.

vol_chaz writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

IS ALL VOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why come all that way just to announce you are choosing UT? It doesn't add up....but i hope you are right..

the10sevol writes:

in response to GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows:

i think your source may be overly giddy about barkley. already deciding to enter the draft? in three years, without having seen bcs competition? why not just go now, skip the whole usc thing?
i think jesse needs to control his own destiny, not base it on "what if this guy leaves, that guy signs", or, as in the recent reports, "they're changing their offense to suit my skills".
there's one obvious choice, and i hope he becomes all-Vol. if not, sad for him and sad for us, but we'll have solid options. he may not.
GBO

belayvol writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

That would be your alma mater. Our Lady Of Immaculate Diversion. Fondly known as O'LOID. Almost time for your 5 year reunion.

AllVol1 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I hope so, too, but a source, even undefined would make such a fantastic claim more credible. I would like to say this does not get my hopes up...I am waiting to hear it from Jesse. If he does wait for the Elite11, July 21-24, that's still an "early" decision and I am grateful not to be waiting until February. I hope he is considering how much publicity he would get for helping rebuild a program with Bryce, Oku, CLK, MLK, Coach O, etc. With the amount of media interest we have already had in the off-season, the Vols will be of interest for as long as CLK is coaching. If the Vols are surging during the next five years, then the QB of that same time will be granted Orange Immortality and national recognition. I hope he is considering the implications...SWARM!!

AllVol1 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Is Milton fast? 6'6" is great, but way better if he is fast and can get up for balls.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Matt Milton 5.7 6-6/192/4.57 Thats fast for 6-6

chad_t31 writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

My question was not intended for u to answer. 1:30 in the morning? Really? Get a life man..ur addicted to this site.
As for the "what's to question remark"..I'm not questioning USC, I'd question scroggins' decision to sit for two years in the weak-10, possibly more. Read the post again and reply with an useful question or comment rather than an idiotic one. Good day, lizard boy.

ctownvol writes:

in response to GREATVOLSAFIRE:

Matt Milton 5.7 6-6/192/4.57 Thats fast for 6-6

That's plenty fast when he is being covered by 5'9" cornerbacks. 7 yard slants thrown high is an easy completion.

hotrodvol writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Hey Rich, I believe Milton is a lock, if UT puts the full force on him. Prater is tops on their list, I also beleive we get Ambles, not so sure on Prater, Demarco Cobbs out of OK, would be great also. Of course if Scroggins comes, recruiting WRs will open up. Here is a QB that is being mentioned maybe as a plan B.

Also thanks for asking, she is just finishing two summer school classes and will go back to clinicals in Sept.. She has said she wants to go UT medical as one of her first hospitals to visit.

atomicvet62 writes:

Hey Vol Fans,
Spoke with one of the staff members at govolsxtra,and was told if you have a problem with any of the trolls that are off topic,defamatory,obscene,or abusive in any way,all you have to do is click on suggest removal,if enough of the vol fans do this, govolsxtra will look at the comments and if they feel the trolls are out of line,they will be banned and removed from this site.
Oh by the way,I wonder what has happen to utwinesalot? (SMILE)
He may come back as something else,but he will not be back with that silly name.
Maybe it will be UTBANSALOT!
Thank you govolsxtra for seeing what a real jerk this troll was.
Have a great day and ........................GO VOLS.

TommyJack writes:

in response to atomicvet62:

Hey Vol Fans,
Oh by the way,I wonder what has happen to utwinesalot? (SMILE)
Maybe it will be UTBANSALOT!
Thank you govolsxtra for seeing what a real jerk this troll was.
Have a great day and ........................GO VOLS.

Good work.

appalachianvol writes:

would soneone out there please explain as to why Michael Palardy has no stars? Since he is one if not the best kickers in the 2010 class why is he not rated?
Thanks for any help.

hotrodvol writes:

in response to appalachianvol:

Thanks for any help.

Jimbo, Palardy is a 4* per Scout, Rivals has not listed special teams players yet.

EB4Heisman writes:

for those who dont have a rivals account Scroggins said he is going to announce the week of July 21-25 at the Elite 11 camp and claims all 3 are even.....also Matt Milton (a 6-6 WR from Illinois for those who don't know him) said the Vols are his clear cut leader and he's coming back up for his second visit on July 24 and he might not even bother to go see any other schools

crimsonviper writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I have been keeping up with Ambles for a while now RR2.I think you are probably right about him.From all i have read the most convincing thing to me was the way he hit it off with Scroggins at the recent Vol camp.I read his comments somewhere and it was obvious if scroggins committed so would he.We shall see.

appalachianvol writes:

in response to hotrodvol:

Thanks for your help.

yeavols#228407 writes:

Hey everyone, having a great summer and thought I would stop in. I couldn't help but notice that the gator viruses are still around. I have to say how sad it really is that these bubbas would hang out on a VOLS site all summer with nothing else to do but belittle and disparage the bloggers. Haven't kept up much, but the season is getting closer. Excitement is building and hope we have a great year. Keep up the faith and the good posts! GO VOLS!!

DC_Vol writes:

Interesting that reports suggest that Scroggins Father is pulling for USC. I would think that you would want your son to go to the best possible school for future success. Clearly, sitting on the bench for two or three years at USC and only starting one year is less beneficial than playing three or all four years at UT. Game experience should be one of the top considerations for choosing a school. Further, at UT Scroggins will have one on one coaching instead of receiving coaching as the second or third choice. He will receive more reps in practice at UT. Also, we have several coaches with NFL experience. UT obviously would provide a better chance for a future career in the NFL.

DaVols writes:

in response to atomicvet62:

Hey Vol Fans,
Oh by the way,I wonder what has happen to utwinesalot? (SMILE)
Maybe it will be UTBANSALOT!
Thank you govolsxtra for seeing what a real jerk this troll was.
Have a great day and ........................GO VOLS.

It seems uf2006bs has the same tone as ol'whiny. He's back... suggest removal before somebody responds to the troll people. Just say no to lizard trolls.

MountJulietVol writes: