Scroggins says he'll announce July 25

Tennessee quarterback prospect Jesse Scroggins is set to announce his college destination on July 25 at the Elite 11 quarterback camp in Las Vegas.

The highly rated quarterback from Lakeland (Calif.) High School has long been considering UT, along with Southern California and Florida.

As comfortable as Scroggins has been with the Vols, he does have one concern.

“Just basically all the hoopla that’s going on — all the violations and stuff,” Scroggins said on Monday.

UT has self-reported a handful of secondary violations, none of which is expected to result in any serious action from the NCAA or the SEC.

“I think they’re coming through it,” Scroggins said. “I think they’re going to be pretty good this year.”

He said the timing of the announcement is based on many factors.

“It’s not too late but it’s not too early,” Scroggins said of his decision to announce later this month. “It’s the perfect time for me.”

Scroggins said he will analyze his decision and make his mind soon.

“I’m going to start getting into the pros and cons this week or next,” he said, declining to name a leader.

The offer from USC came after he won a skills competition with a handful of other quarterback prospects at a Trojans’ camp earlier last month.

“It was very big just because it’s my home, right down the street,” Scroggins said. “Parents could some see me. Coaches and former teammates could come see.”

Scroggins reaffirmed that he has no qualms about coming across the country to play football, whether it’s for UT or Florida.

He is more willing to play in Florida’s spread-option offense than most would have predicted considering he has long said he wanted to play in a more pro-style offense.

“Most people don’t understand,” Scroggins said. “Florida has changed their offense around their quarterback. (Senior Gator quarterback Tim) Tebow is a running style of quarterback so they use that. With (former Gators quarterback) Chris Leak, they passed the ball and used more pro-style.”

The athletic Scroggins doesn’t run much in high school football but is thought to be a better runner than Leak yet not nearly as physical a runner as Tebow.

“I can run the ball but it’s not my forte,” Scroggins admitted.

Scroggins believes that UT and USC’s offense will be very similar.

Another factor: much of his family lives in the Memphis area.

“There are so many things to say about Tennessee, especially that it is my mom’s home state,” Scroggins said. “That’s what really helps.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

1BigOrangeVol writes:

Come to Knoxville young man!

burntorangeVOLffle writes:

Those violations look like they may be coming back to haunt us.

berryballer writes:

he will be a volunteer

NoogaVol55 writes:

Sounds like other coaches are trying to put in his ear that the secondary violations are a big thing that will put us on probation.

belayvol writes:

He is worrying about a handful of secondary violations vs the NCAA ready to drop the hammer on USC over the Bush incident? PUHLEAZE.

tapeworm writes:

I'll be sure that I'm glued to all of the media sources at my disposal on that date. How could any sane person carry on with their lives without knowing what he's going to do? Lord help us all if he doesn't choose the Vols.

NoogaVol55 writes:

If he is hoping his commitment will help boost his future school's recruiting...I have a hard time thinking he is talking about UF or USC. USC doesn't need him...and UF is getting just about anybody they want these days...so they don't need his help recruiting either.

(Incase you all haven't noticed I am trying to rationalize in my head why he has to choose us!!)

belayvol writes:

Clearly, the gators are irrelevant in this race. They are just a smoke screen for where he is going. Between UT and USC.

pms151 writes:

Doesn't sound like this kid is coming here to me.

Down_The_Field writes:

jesse......do you want to play for flar-duh or do you want to beat flar-duh?

come to tennessee, young man and you can do the later.

GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows writes:

19 more days I dont know if I can make it that long. I hope it is us but my gut says it will be USC.

kiffownsfla writes:

Who the h3ll knows what this kids gonna do.GO VOLS!

MusicMan25 writes:

I pray that Scroggins not only becomes a Vol, but announces it with national publicity. He has the change to lead the charge of 108,000 screaming orange fans. He is cool, calm, collected, and confident. Much like the coaching staff.

Come join Tennessee Jesse, bring it home.

ctownvol writes:

in response to GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows:

I'm afraid your gut is right. I hope the kid comes here, but I just think he's staying home in California.

rubbervol writes:

We need you in Orangeland.
Was good for Tee Martin and will be good for you.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

I don't think he comes to UT. I want him to be a Volunteer, but this does'nt sound too promising. In my mind he needs to realise that USC and Florida want him, but UT needs him. At USC & UF he is really just another blue chipper, here he can be on the ground floor. The stakes are high and the competition is first class. We'll see if Scroggins has a sense of adventure and wants to roll the dice. One other point, his family might not have the monetary resources to travel to Knoxville as much as might be needed. bonzaivol

fredricks writes:

I think it will come down to UT or USC. In the end, USC gets the nod for hometown advantage.

volfan7 writes:

No kidding!!! If UT loses this excellent recruit, the blame will fall squarely on two men: Lane Kiffin, who does not know how to stay out of trouble and cannot keep his mouth shut, and Mike Hamilton, The Enabler. Believe it or not, there are plenty of good young citizen players out there that do not want their names associated with scandal.

I hope we get this guy but, after reading his comments, I now have little faith we will. Someone needs to keep Kiffin on a short chain and preferably fitted with a strong muzzle.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to ctownvol:

i think you're right.

but then again, i never thought we'd get both brown and oku.

DownTheField writes:

Welcome to your home away from home, Jesse. Come to Tennessee!

belayvol writes:

in response to volfan7:

Yeah let's work like heck and watch some film.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

Where is this being held at? I live in Vegas. I want to go represent the 105,000 orange-clad die-hard UT fans that can't wait to see him run through the T on Gameday!

Come to UT Jesse. You know the program is on the rise! It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Yep your right id say!Go vols!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to gatorz7:

I guess jail doesn't bother him if he goes to Gay-tor ville!!!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to gatorz7:

I say you should move along and go bail out a Gay-tor!!!

belayvol writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

Rettig is just a step away.

TnScooby writes:

in response to belayvol:

Yeah let's work like heck and watch some film.

Now that's funny!! LMAO

CoverOrange writes:

Regarding Florida changing it's offense to fit the QB, somebody should show Jesse some video of Utah when Meyer was there. Meyer played Chris Leak ball because Chris Leak, and the rest of the UF Off, couldn't play Meyer ball. So said some visiting UF fans.

I think he stays in SoCal and transfers after the 2010 season.

GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Somebody was posting last night that Scroggins and a friend were coming to Knoxville this week. Anybody else heard anything like that?

gohawks1 writes:

It's between USC and UT. The University of Felons (UF) has never been a serious consideration for him.

utwick writes:

How many violations does USC have? Probably only slightly less than they have quarterbacks on their current roster. Come to Tennesses and be THE MAN and not another number in the depth chart. Also, if you want to compete, there is no better conference than the SEC. Come experience football the way it was meant to be played.

2001_Volunteer writes:

He will be a Vol, mark it down.

ctownvol writes:

in response to GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows:

I read that on here as well, but have yet to hear it anywhere else.

GaytorsSuckAndBamaBlows writes:

in response to volfan7:

volfan7 = gatorz7

TnScooby writes:

IMO, if we do get him, it will be a MAJOR coup and if we don't, then he was just another Southern California kid who stayed in-state at USC. Either way, I still think we will be fine with whoever we get and with what we have.

Go Vols!!

Goodvol writes:

First, it is NOT clear where he is leaning. He has done a good job of keeping all his teams even. Obviously USC has a couple of clear advantages in location and his father wants him at USC. Will his family support him if he says he really wants to go to UT? I hope so. I'm biased but I believe after his college days are over, he would be happiest if he wore the Tennessee orange.

chrisw2967 writes:

Tn is the only school he can help recruit ,fla,USC doesnt need his help in recruiting.Common sense says go to the school where he can be a starter from day one or he can go to a school where he wont see the field for 2 years , if that.
hope he becomes a vol but I also see him going to USC.

belayvol writes:

"Scroggins said he also decided on July 25, in part, because of the television coverage that ESPN will provide. He hopes his commitment will help boost recruiting for whichever school he chooses."

Notice this quote from the article? Now which team would his announcement help on recruiting others? Which team has elite players waiting on a QB to announce? Especially top receivers. Hmmmmm.

belayvol writes:

in response to D_to_the_C:

Sure gatorz. And gators are clean like bright orange jumpsuits and cold bologna sandwiches.

belayvol writes:

in response to gatorz7:

Sorry DC, the only thing you have been right on was the size of Teebows.

FWBVol writes:

Scroggins is wrong about Meyers molding his offense to fit a quarterback he recruits. Meyers tried to use Chris Leak in the spread, but Leak was afraid to take the number of hits required running the option. Meyers was stuck with Leak because he was already a junior when Urban arrived.

Scroggins needs to look long and hard at the other quarterbacks Urban has recruited and how he used them. I would be shocked if Meyer didn't run the spread with any quarterback he recruits.

TnScooby writes:

Wow!! The ignorance of trolls on full display tonight!!

Phowell23 writes:

It's either go to USC and sit on the bench for 2+ years or come play in the SEC and have a good chance to get major playing time your freshman year. That or go to Florida and watch your teammates get arrested.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to D_to_the_C:

That has to be the most hilarious thing I have ever read in my life!!!
I bet you started laughing before your first key stroke!!!
What a joke
and Cryer won't be there anyway!!!

belayvol writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

That's some funny stuff Bear

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to D_to_the_C:

UF doesnt stand for University of Felons for nothing.
Its been how many days since the gayfers have had an arrest ?

tums writes:

in response to volfan7:

So he should go to Florida where he will start hanging with the players that will get him arrested and such? Or, go to USC where they are currently being investigated with major violations regarding Bush? Yeah, 6 minor secondary violations (That everyone has!) should surely scare him off.....

TnScooby writes:

Any news on Lamaison?

beachvol1 writes:

Sorry, this guy wants to much hoopla around him....Lights, camera, action.....A Trojan he will be(parents want him closer to home) as you know where you want to go...don't give me that phooey about "Nobody is my clear cut choice"...Playing the game....Too much ego for this guy....is he that fabulous???

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

That has to be the most hilarious thing I have ever read in my life!!!
I bet you started laughing before your first key stroke!!!
What a joke
and Cryer won't be there anyway!!!

Go vols may have to get rettig.