State's Top 10 prospects: (No. 8) Alcoa's Robinson can't wait on Vols forever

In a lot of ways, Tyler Robinson fits the stereotype of a typical East Tennessean.

A bit laid back, he’s in no rush to end his college recruitment. He’s also a diehard Tennessee football fan.

Yet that passionate fandom could soon overcome his laid-back approach. Robinson wants to be a Vol. But he doesn’t want to wait forever to get that opportunity from UT’s coaches.

“I wish if they were going to offer me that they would go ahead and do it just because I’ve wanted to go there forever,” said Robinson, the News Sentinel’s eighth-best prospect in the state. “I hope they’re not being like ‘He’s a hometown boy. We can wait until the last minute.’ ”

If that happens, the Alcoa High School star could go elsewhere. The 6-foot-4, 255-pounder already has scholarship offers from Virginia Tech, Kentucky and Tennessee State.

“I’ve been a Tennessee fan my whole life,” Robinson said. “It sucks that the other schools have offered me already and they (the Vols) haven’t, but hopefully it will come pretty soon.”

UT has certainly taken a long look at Robinson. He attended the Vols’ lineman camp in early June where UT’s coaches worked him extensively at center.

“They said I really showed out there,” Robinson said. “…I’ve been talking to Tennessee a lot. I’ve been to two of their camps. They seem to like me whole lot.

“Still no offer but they’ve been talking to me a lot so hopefully that will come soon.”

Robinson has played tight end, defensive end, defensive tackle and long snapper. He would prefer to play tight end in college but he’s realistic. He’ll play whatever position will get him on the field.

“If center can get me on the field faster, I’ll play center,” Robinson said. “I’m not the fastest tight end but I’m a fast center.”

College coaches have different opinions concerning Robinson’s future. UT is thinking center. Virginia Tech projects Robinson as a tight end.

“They like big boys like me,” he said.

Kentucky isn’t sure what position Robinson will play but plans to start him at tight end before determining if he’ll grow into an SEC lineman.

Blount County has plenty of interest in where Robinson will end up.

“Everywhere I go that’s all I hear ‘Where are you going to college. Go here. Go there.’” Robinson said. “I get a little irritated but I’m always nice about it.”

Robinson has more camps to attend this summer. All the while, he’s trying not to let recruiting control his last summer as a high school student-athlete.

“I’m just trying to live life and not think too much about it,” Robinson said. “I’m trying not to let it run my life, especially not in the summer.”

At tight end, Robinson caught 32 passes for 560 yards and 18 touchdowns last season. Playing defensive end, he had 90 tackles and 10 sacks.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Phowell23 writes:

Coaches probably have leads on better prospects and he's further down the list at the moment. Hopefully he'll end up here but if not they probably got someone that fits what they need better.

imw8n4u writes:

I say offer him - I want the guys that bleed Orange and actually mean it when they say "I will give my all for Tennessee today!" This is part of building that wall around the state.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Phowell23:

ditto

FWBVol writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

They can't sign him until February, but it does sound like this a kid they need to offer a scholarship.

It's great to get the David Okus and Bryce Browns of the world, but give me a kid with decent college talent, heart and who wants to wear the Orange any time.

chrisw2967 writes:

I thought kiffin wanted to put a fence around the instate players ? then sign him already.

beachvol1 writes:

What is the deal here....that supposedly fence around the state is getting shorter...keep messing around and let another SEC rival pick him up....come on Kif....we need lineman and especially centers....can't blame him if doesn't want to wait...would you???

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

All you guys whinning about Kiffin and his promise to put up a fence around Tennessee need to realize that Tennessee does not have a deep bed of in state recruits. This kid while his heart is good is not nearly as talented as some of the other kids the coaching staff is looking at and wants to get. I mean look at the schools that have offered the kid, not exactly power house schools. He is not being recruited by the Florida's, Bama's, USC's of the world. If he was, we would have offered him already. There are bigger fish to fry and most of them are outside the state.

Ironcity writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Give me talent over heart. Actually I prefer talent and heart over just heart. If the kid can't get a scholly from UT and he is suppose to be the 8th best player in the state, and plays a position of need, it says a lot about the state of Tennessee football and why we spend so much time elsewhere recruiting.

Cherokee writes:

in response to FWBVol:

If you have a roster full of kids with "decent" talent, heart and a desire to wear the Orange, you will have a "decent" football team. If we want to win SEC titles and compete for national championships, that is going to take elite talent. The unfortunate reality is that UT can't afford to use scholarships on every homestate kid who wants to play for UT. Obviously this kid is a good player - he's one of the top 10 prospects in state, but if UT is going to get back to the top of the heap, we won't do it by beating out Va Tech and Kentucky for players. We're going to have to fight the Gators, Dawgs, Tide, etc.
IF the staff decides that this kid merits a scholarship, then welcome aboard. If not, then life goes on and he will have an opportunity elsewhere.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to Cherokee:

I'm glad there are a few other sensible people on here.

Cherokee writes:

in response to smokeydog:

I think this talk in recent years of building "walls" is pure nonsense. Nobody has done it. Every major school has had good players leave the state. But if we want to talk about a wall, then fine - of course such a "wall" would be for certain players only. That's the very nature of recruiting. We're trying to select the best players we can get, and though it's not an exact science, that will mean that sometimes a player who would like to play for UT doesn't get a schollie offered.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Va. Tech is NOT a powerhouse school. Certainly they are a great school, but not an elite school and they are not in a great football conference. Certainly they are nothing to put your nose up to, I would be overjoyed if I ever had a kid that had the opportunity to play football there, but I would be overjoyed if I had a kid that could play football at any BCS school. That being said they are the only decent school to offer them. I don't think there is any reason for people being upset over this kid not being offered by UT yet, like I said I would hope we would want more talented kids than this. If we got this kid and missed out on a top tier O-lineman because this kid got a scholly the same group would be complaining.

Cherokee writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Va Tech is a good program, but no, I would not classify them as a powerhouse. They have had a handful of seasons where they were truly in the national picture, and their record against top 10 teams is not remotely close to good enough to be classified as a power. In fact, it's actually embarrassingly bad. They are definitely in a different class from Kentucky, but aside from an occasional strong season they really aren't a top 15 type program. JMO.

elsinoresam writes:

He will get an offer before August 15th.

FWBVol writes:

in response to Cherokee:

The point I was trying to make is a lot of decent players with heart turn into great players because they know the value of hard work. And by decent I mean a 3 star kid. Yes, I'd love to get as many great players (4 and 5 star guys) as possible, but I'd like to see some Tennessee guys have a chance to show their stuff.

There are a couple of guys on the roster right now left over from CPF that Kiffin has basically said he wouldn't have offered, but have turned out to be much better players than he thought they were. These are kids that wanted, really wanted to play for Tennessee.

There are what, 120 DI programs and 30 NFL teams. That tells me every kid isn't an NFL prospect. I want the kid that will give his all for Tennessee. I'll take an Andy Kelly that bleeds Orange any day over some kid like Pryor at Ohio State.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Being in a BCS bowl does not officially make you a powerhouse school. Is Boise? Utah? Again, the ACC is not a strong conference, but they are a BCS conference and they will get someone into a BCS bowl every year because of that. As I said, they are a good football program with decent coach, but they aren't elite. I agree being from Memphis or Nashville shouldn't mean anything, just like being from Alcoa shouldn't be held against you, however I have to believe if this coaching staff felt like he fit the system and could be a star they would have already offered him, he may yet get an offer and if he does fine. The point is we need the best players in the country, not just TN to be able to be an elite team in the SEC and to do that we need more players than the state of TN has to offer.

MrBamSeydu writes:

I'll say it again..... EAST TN FOOTBALL SUCK!!!! I could care less if he wants to go to UT or if he's a "hometown boy". Lane Kiffin wants the best players in the nation, not the best players in Alcoa. Give me a break. He needs to shut up and go to Tennessee State where he can get some playing time.

Goodvol writes:

I don't remember too many posts on any forum that says, "I hate that we lost the football game but I'm sure glad we have a lot of Tennessee-born players on our team!" I want Kiffin to get all the Tennessee-grown talent that is good enough to help us win. If Robinson gets an offer (and I hope he does) then it will be because he is talented and not because he was born in Tennessee. As a Tennessee kid I would want to feel like I was selected for my talent and not where I live.

Cherokee writes:

in response to RichRollin:

To answer your question, our record against the top ten the past ten years is...irrelevant in regard to the point that was being discussed.

SuperVolfan writes:

The last kid from Tennessee that said he was waiting for an offer from UT, got the offer then committed elsewhere. I'd say CLK is making damn sure these in-state kids are for real now!

gnm53108 writes:

Sounds like a good kid.Gotta like the "diehard Tennessee football fan"

And if what RR says is true,he's got a good chance of gettin an offer from Lane.Im a believer RR but it isnt me that needs convincing.

Cherokee writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I didn't dodge anything. I have read Va Tech's historical record against top 10 opponents several times and it is not good. If you want to know the exact numbers, you're welcome to look it up yourself. I really don't care. I gave it a quick search on stassen and didn't find the data that I've read before (records against ranked opponents). My point was not that this kid can't play. My point is that if the staff thinks he merits a scholarship, they will offer one, and if they don't, he'll be fine. But I don't think there is much to be gained by offering a kid just because he is in state or his heart bleeds orange. If we think he is better than what we already have or another recruit, then let's offer. Otherwise, no.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Exactly iron. If the "8th best player" in the state is considered borderline by the Vols, that says everything you need to know about the depth of talent in this state. Heart and no talent will just get you beaten up.

govols082859#1369959 writes:

Everybody chill.
Kiffen has yet to offer a 1 star recruit who only has offers from KY and VT.
Big Deal!
Had we offered, Have Hooker would be slamming Kiffen for wasting a scholarship to a 1 star lineman so early in the year.
We need to shut up and let the pro's do their job, and bring in another top 10 class. Save your fireworks to write about how you can't believe we pulled a miracle out of the swamp in September.
BTW, I went to Gwinnett Braves(AAA baseball) game tonight and sat by a typical gator fan. Why is it they smell just like the swamp water, even in baseball season?

gnm53108 writes:

in response to govols082859#1369959:

Everybody chill.
Kiffen has yet to offer a 1 star recruit who only has offers from KY and VT.
Big Deal!

Might want to see your doctor tomorrow,just to make sure you didnt catch anything.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

The kid has raw talent....but he could be a good long snapper on special teams.....think out side of the box....think U.S.C. TROJAN caliber lineman/TE's.

This is why he doesn't have an offer yet....they don't see that level of skill versus the others on the board available right now.

It sucks because he bleeds orange and white but that is the level of athlete this staff desires....stars or no stars.

NTNSTY writes:

in response to 1stAndGoal:

I agree

panavol writes:

in response to govols082859#1369959:

Everybody chill.
Kiffen has yet to offer a 1 star recruit who only has offers from KY and VT.
Big Deal!

Smell is one of the signs!
Might want to get tested for "Gator Flu".

belayvol writes:

in response to govols082859#1369959:

Everybody chill.
Kiffen has yet to offer a 1 star recruit who only has offers from KY and VT.
Big Deal!

Man i hope you did not catch Gayd's. Next time, put on a raincoat.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to Cherokee:

EXACTLY! It is a sad truth that coaches have to BUILD a great team with minimal scholarship allowances! I am certain the coaches have already evaluated his talent and while "heart" goes a very long way, if the kid has to keep his "heart" on the bench for four years, then that is a scholarship that has been wasted!

rockytopman writes:

in response to MrBamSeydu:

Are you kidding me....We all know that E.Tenn is not a hotbed for D-1 talent, but you can't fault the boy for wanting to play for his hometown team. It was all of our dreams to play for the BIG Orange, he just happens to be good enough to garner attention. Lay off the kid.

jimr07 writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

study the film.

golfballs03 writes:

Just like the kicker Acosta, from Christian Brothers. Would you rather have him than Michael Palardy? Acosta bleeds Orange. I think it's great that in-state kids want to come to Tennessee, but I'm more interested in getting the top talent in the country - and come gameday, I know the rest of you all will too.

RoadTrip writes:

Folks - don't forget we have Kevin Revis already on board who prejects to be a center that will be ready to start in 2010. CLK and staff have to fill projected needs and probably want to see what else Tyler can do before offering.

VolFanNC writes:

Hopefully they offer in a few weeks. I think after QB plays out they will know who is coming for the most part. This kid seems to be in line with what they are looking for. (Quick Athletic Linemen.)

He won't start in 2010, but 2011, 2012 can certainly have a chance. He has quick feet, just needs a little size. I do agree however that there is still better talent out there, but at the end of July if some of the guys we are waiting on don't pan out, he certainly has the ability to play.

BTW: VT with less talent every year than most SEC schools, Miami and FL State somehow is always in the BCS conversation and always competing for the ACC championship. I would put them as one of the elite schools or at least as elite as an ACC school can be in football. Agree with Rich on this, if my son was offered by VT would be very happy.

footballfan34 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

They are not going to offer anytime soon. He is way down on there board. He will end up at Kentucky.

belayvol writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Pound the fritter!

appalachianvol writes:

If a scholarship is available I think he should be given preference. Simply because we need to educate our local kids first and foremost. If he needs coaching up, that's why the school is paying the high salaries. I trust what you guys are saying,he is SEC material.
I know, we all scream if we're not winning and want the best for our team. Heart can't be measured. He bleeds Orange!
Go Big Orange!

TommyJack writes:

Trust the staff. Bleeding orange does not a D-1 player make.

girlthatlovesfootball writes:

I think some of you need to give this young man a break! He is young and has alot to learn in life. He has a dream of playing college football and I believe that he will, since he does apparently have talent. He may not get to play for the VOLS but that shouldn't stop him from reaching out for his dreams. I am sure he has so much pressure at this age. Didn't you?

QCVol writes:

Question - Do you think hometown kids would tend to play a little harder than out of staters? I personally do.... I believe that as a coach, you have to take above normal talent in state, especially locally...and not neccessarily superior talent, but as long as they're top 10 talent, take them! Its your job to coach em up! I really believe those kinda kids have more pride and more to play for than some kid from out of state that has no idea of the history and passion. Look at Al Wilson - in state guy - he took that team on his own shoulders, mainly because he was a TN guy...He had more to play for, more passion to win....I hate that so much local and in-state talents gets shipped away, when these kids could really benefit their hometown football team!

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

Like most Tennesseans I like to sprinkle the state's best with the nation's best, but the coaches have seen this kid in two camps and should be pretty familiar with him so chill out. Our coaches know how to evaluate talent and if he's better than others that we are recruiting then we'll offer, if not then they won't. We want to win the NC and you do that with the better talent, not with who bleeds orange the most. IMO ky might be a better fit, particuarly since a couple of Alcoa kids are playing there.

Fossilfiction writes:

Okay did we not recently have QB from Memphis say something very much like what this young man is saying? Hmmmmm how did that work out once we offered?

givehim6 writes:

in response to imw8n4u:

Yes, I remember CLK saying not too long after becoming HC talking about building a wall around the state. Was you just talking?

TrouserCough writes:

I'm confident the staff can evaluate talent better than the lot of us. I would like TN guys on the team as well, if they are good enough.

cmoore7 writes:

18 Touchdowns? Good lord, he must be a handful in the red zone if he caught 32 passes total.

seventysevenvol writes:

in response to Fossilfiction:

If that's the QB from MUS, UT didn't offer him...

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to seventysevenvol:

If that's the QB from MUS, UT didn't offer him...

His name Brunetti and yes we did. On Tuesday June 9 KNS reported that we offered. Would you like a link to verify that or can you figure out the search bar?

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

If he's #8 in the State, he must have star talent. He's a homegrown local who wants to be a Vol. Sign him up already! I know the coaching staff knows their shi!!, but we should get the kid from next door. Heart goes a long way, along with talent. Sounds like he has both.

GO VOLS!!

hueypilot writes:

in response to GainesvilleVol1:

GO VOLS!!

I think we probably ought to let Kiffin and Clegg figure out what our personnel needs in the offensive line are and let them make the offer or not. Isn't that their job? The notion that the fan on the street knows better than the coaches is a little dim, don't you think?