Clausen convinced Rettig has the tools

QB was impressive at camp in Hawaii

Chase Rettig

Chase Rettig

Casey Clausen doesn't look at Chase Rettig as just a backup plan for Tennessee.

The former UT quarterback rates UT's newest recruiting target as highly as the nation's other quarterback prospects. Clausen points to the Super Seven Quarterback Academy in Hawaii earlier this month as proof.

"He was making throw for throw just like everybody else was - with consistency and accuracy," said Clausen, who has worked with Rettig along with noted California quarterback guru Steve Clarkson.

Recruiting analyst Tom Luginbill agreed. He called Rettig's performance in Hawaii one of the best by a quarterback whom he has seen this spring and summer.

"What impressed us so much about Rettig was his drop speed, set up and balance on five- and seven-step drops," Luginbill wrote on ESPN.com. "He also was skilled in pocket movement in drills tailored to test one's ability to throw on the move or off balance.

His accuracy and ability to make any type of throw were off the charts

Tom Luginbill, Recruiting analyst

"His accuracy and ability to make any type of throw were off the charts on day three. At one point during the workout, he nailed seven or eight throws in a row, displaying terrific footwork and mechanics."

The competition was stiff for the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Rettig. Blake Bell, Phillip Sims, Austin Hinder and Nick Montana were some of the other participants. All have multiple scholarship offers.

Rettig, however, has only two. Boston College offered weeks ago. UT jumped on board Tuesday after missing out on a handful of other prospects that committed elsewhere.

Most believe a tough junior season - in which many of his receivers suffered injuries - is to blame for the relative lack of interest.

"They had to change the offense from a passing offense to more of a running offense," Clausen said. "He ran the ball pretty well but his numbers weren't as good as his sophomore numbers.

"The team was 1-9. All these other top quarterbacks were winning games and putting up big numbers. He kind of flew under the radar his entire junior year."

Rettig also had to overcome a first-year coaching staff at La Salle High School in Pasadena, Calif. That won't be the case this year. Rettig transferred to San Clemente High School in Sierra Madre, Calif.

He is expected to deliver some big statistics this fall. That wouldn't surprise Clausen, who said Rettig has all the intangibles and intelligence that a quarterback needs. The ability has never been a question in Clausen's mind.

He's a good athlete and I think he has one of the strongest arms in California.

Casey Clausen, Former Vol quarterback

"He has the physical skills too," Clausen said. "He's a good athlete and I think he has one of the strongest arms in California."

Clausen has worked with Rettig since his freshman year. He saw Rettig improve physically before his second high school season.

"We knew he had a real strong arm," Clausen said. "He grew about three or four inches from his freshman to sophomore year."

Clausen is convinced that Rettig has it all - especially after what he displayed in Hawaii.

"No doubt," Clausen said. "We just saw it in person side-by-side with all those other guys."

Surveying Scroggins: Clausen has also seen another UT prospect during an off-season camp.

"I like him," said Clausen of the Lakewood (Calif.) High rising senior. He's got a good arm. Good kid. Real bright kid. I think he's got a real bright future."

Scroggins is set to announce his decision on July 25 from the Elite 11 camp in California. He is considering UT, Southern California and Florida. He is thought to be undecided and will choose between the Vols and Trojans.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

Land him, Casey! Make him a VOL.

ivyvol writes:

Is Clausen getting paid to train these kids?

gnm53108 writes:

Reel em in.

walter1998 writes:

Is it me, or does this story seem to be contrived? I mean, they are going all out to get Vols fans to accept this guy.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to walter1998:

It worked on me.

bobbarbilly writes:

So offer him a ride

kman29 writes:

His team went 1-9 last year??? uh huh!

Vol_fan_in_Tampa writes:

rettig could be the silent stud we're looking for. Rumors have been flying on this kid for some time outside of VOL discussions. My SEC buds here in Tampa knew of him and talked highly of him. I must admit... I had no clue who he was until a few months ago. Now I do. I would love to see this kid wear orange. Not that I don't want Scroggins to commit too.

stayingorange writes:

Is it possible instead that he's actually really good and we should be excited to get him? Everything I've seen about him sounds good, including reviews of his visit to UT's camp.

DisorientedVol writes:

I hope they are setting us up for a Rettig commitment soon. We can hand out this article to other recruits. Scroggins may be headed for UF with Ambles imo (sickening thought). Go Vols.

chargervol writes:

I think we have to take Casey's word on Rettig. He seems to like his abilities, and he has been around him quite abit. I still wouldn't give up on Scroggins. Its a long time till the ink hits the papers. GO VOLS!!!

txvolsfan writes:

I trust in Stones Kiffin to get the right QB on the hill!!!

Great to hear from the Iceman!!!

RockinTop writes:

Who knows about JS....but watching Rettig's films he reminds me of Big Ben at Pittsburgh.... Big kid running and shuffles well and still makes the throws..... I like what I see..... Either one of these guys would be great!

teampenny#658108 writes:

Hope he has a better season this year. Camps and throwing pass routes are not the same as playing in games. Go Vols

gnm53108 writes:

in response to stayingorange:

From everything I've read and seen it's very possible.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

I trust in Stones Kiffin to get the right QB on the hill!!!

Great to hear from the Iceman!!!

In Stones we trust.

And yea,it's good to hear Casey is still a Vol.I loved watchin him on the road,especially in mulletville.

FWBVol writes:

in response to kman29:

His team went 1-9 last year??? uh huh!

Jeff Francis, who started at quarterback from 1986-88, played on a team that was 1-9 or 0-10 his senior year and was all but overlooked. UT took a chance on him and he turned out to be a very good SEC QB.

The fact a kid is on a 1-9 team doesn't concern me much in football as football is the ultimate team game. Very few players, no matter how good, with the exception of perhaps a running back, can put up big numbers without help. A quarterback needs guys that can get open a catch the ball and linemen to protect him in the pocket. A receiver might be a young Jerry Rice, but without a quarterback to get him the ball won't be able to properly display his talents.

If the kid was a basketball player on a 2-20 team I would be concerned as a great basketball player should be able to take over a game at the high school level even if he doesn't have a lot of help.

VolDad4Life writes:

Bring him on.

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

That may be true 0406,but,as the article said they had to change the offense due to injuries.

The more I hear and read, Rettig and Lamaison are the ones we need to get this show rolling for '09 and beyond !!

qspr91iz writes:

I think Rettig can be successful if we improve our o-line depth. I'm not worried about Scroggins. It is very important that we land about four 300lb athletes to bolster our o-line. No qb will be successful if we don't improve our o-line depth for 2010.
GO VOLS!!!

senracjr writes:

Like most of the dumbarses don't seem to realize a good quarterback is only as good as the team he plays on... If the rest of the team sucks, then the Qb isn't going to have good numbers.Put him with some decent tallent and he could be a great QB.

GreenDevilVol writes:

Here is one that is in our backyard..check out those stats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GreenDevilVol writes:

Here is another one that Kiffin and Chaney are high on for the '11 class....

drvol writes:

in response to gnm53108:

It worked on me.

Worked on me too. At this point though, given the combination of our lack of scholarship QBs next year (just one, right?) and missing out on so many prospects already this year, I'll take any guy that's had someone with a little know-how say something good about him. I know we had to be patient getting our staff in place, but getting our team's future in place is taking a little longer than I'd like. Hope Scroggins, Rettig, or both come through for us, or I'll start getting VERY nervous.

By the way, this is my first post. Been reading everyone else's comments for months now, finally got myself to join!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

Here is another one that Kiffin and Chaney are high on for the '11 class....

prideofthesouthland writes:

"Drop speed" is very important in Kiffin's system. No joke.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to drvol:

Dont see any reason to be nervous.We'll get us a good one.

Remember we've got Nick for thru 2010.And that baseball player,but dont know much about him.

And welcome to the orange jungle.Watch yer step,there's usually some reptiles underfoot.

volmattna writes:

Come to ROCKY TOP Reddig!! Please! GO VOLS!

voltan writes:

in response to drvol:

welcome to the discussion drvol. I like you do not post very often, but read posts often. I also agree that we should have at least one or two commitments by qb's by now. I think we could have had Brunnettie (spelling) if we had offered and still might. Rettig has a very good reference in Clausen. Get him on board. Then if we do strie out with Scroggins, we still have a qb. I understand that it is hard to get more than one top qb in a year, but we need more than one this year because of depth. I personally thought we should have kept Tai Boyd on board. He did great in all star game. I also would not give up on AL qb commitment Bell I think, because of probation could make someone think better of committing to AL. Plus it would be nice to stick it to Satan. The OL and WR's will follow the qb's. Get the QB committed and the rest will follow. As for this year, I hear all the talk about JC, but do not forget Nick Stephens, IMO he is the better of the two from what I have seen. I just have a hard time thinking about JC again this year. I have faith that the new championship staff we have now will put the best man on the field whether it be JC or NS. I cant wait till it is football time in TN. Go Vols and Titans so says voltan.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

in response to kman29:

His team went 1-9 last year??? uh huh!

Just so you know La Salle High in Pasadena, Ca was TRULLY plagued with injuries last year....he transferred to San Clemente to play on a little bigger stage and show Div.1 he is at the very least a true 4 star recruit.

Don't hate on him...if he could be GOOD enough to possibly play for Pete Carroll & end up at USC then he is GREAT enough to be a VOL guys.

He has also been attending Steve Clarkson's QB camp....some 3 boys by the name of Clausen, Nick Montana, Rothliesberger, JP Losman, Matt Barkley, and Matt Lienhart spent alot of time working with this man to take their game to the next level. Check it out:

This kid at every camp he attends blows away the scouts. He is a legit big time big arm QB. He is a gunslinger and I honestly think he would be committed already if he had been offered sooner.

This video is of him as a Sophomore:

I hope we get this kid....Scroggins is good no question but Rettig was tied for my #1 spot with Hendrix....Scroggins was my #2.

I hope Casey Clausen stays in his ear and helps sway him to Knoxville. With Rettig getting asked to play at the Under Armour All American game will help get some game breaking WR's and offensive lineman too. Having this kid committ is WAY BIGGER THAN JUST PICKING UP AN AWESOME QB.....OTHER PIECES COME WITH IT...GET IT.

Bigger_Al writes:

I hope he becomes a Vol. And I hope he has that ice in his veins like Casey did (cold and wet weather aside...).

CoachFulmer writes:

DC, you bring humor to this site. So clueless...

gnm53108 writes:

I dont care what the recruiting services or any other coach thinks of him. If he has Casey's seal of approval and coach Kiffin's,I'll take em.

txsvol#372416 writes:

in response to voltan:

If you guys remember, after Taj Boyd and Kif had their conversation, CLK told Boyd that he did not have what it took to play QB in his system. Somewhat later, when CLK was asked what he was looking for, he said that he needed someone bright enough to learn his system. So, Rettig is bright enough, but his 1-9 record last year is worse than Bryce Petty's! SAVol

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to voltan:

We did offer Brunetti. Nobody seemed to visit this site on June 9 or failed to remember reading about us offering.

tennezz writes:

in response to drvol:

Welcome aboard, This is a great time to be a Vol fan! It`s going to be fun sitting back and watching Kiffin build this team!

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

in response to txsvol#372416:

La Salle High sucks....to put it bluntly....that is why he transferred to San Clemente...to get some exposure for his senior year. Trust Tom Luginbill for Scout/ESPN...he has been doing this job for awhile:

Also...depending on what Scroggins does...he could end up a Trojan...I think Pete Carroll wouldn't waste time evaluating him if he didn't think he could play.

After playing on such a God awful team last season....he'll rip it up his senior year...he threw for 2500 yds and 25 tds his sophomore year.

Stars don't mean much really....a 3 star recruit won the Heisman last year...but Rettig will have 4 stars before 2009 is over...you don't get invited to play at the Under Armour All-American game if you suck something nasty man.

bigaldaddy writes:

in response to ivyvol:

Is Clausen getting paid to train these kids?

I don't know but Casey is one tough dude.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to bigaldaddy:

I don't know but Casey is one tough dude.

Yep.

Any qb that can go thru 5 ot's in Tuscaloosa and come out on top is one tough sob.

Vols4Ever writes:

Casey was in the same mold of Dewey, Bobby S., Phil Pierce, Conredge, Jimmy S., et al., tough MFSOBs. He beat the hated Gators in their house, the cheating Tide in their house and almost took us to the Rose Bowl.

Why does this matter in this discussion? If Casey says the kid can play at the Hill, the kid can play. Rivals, Pete Carroll, Extra Special Pus** Network have no clue what it takes to succeed in the toughest conference.

If Casey is willing to place a star on the kid, the kid is a star.

Welcome to Rocky Top, Mr. Rettig.

old_number1 writes:

clauson was always underrated by opponents and vol fans alike. But he really performed on the field. I think he knows his stuff about the qb position. I don't think he would steer the vols in the wrong direction.

MidTennVol writes:

I completely trust Cassey's judgement too. Would love to ask him which QB he would take if he had to choose -- Scroggins or Rettig.

patmd writes:

Clausen wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer while at UT, brother ended up at Notre Dame, and now he is recommending a fellow who only won 1 game last year because something happened to his receivers. Doesn't exactly instill confidence. On the other hand, we don't seem attractive to the other potential quarterbacks.

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Never more a truer,honest post !!!!!!!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to D_to_the_C:

And apparently your opinion does not matter to us,the VOL NATION !!!

So, if you would of read the story behind it all,then you wouldn't of been making the same ole same ole stupid,asinine comments that you always do !! His former team was riddled with injuries,changed the offense due to said reason.

Casey has given his opinion on Rettig,and speaking for myself,he is one tough,smart,opinionated former player that should know talent.

BTW,D C; Clausen was good enough to handle your swamp lizards !!!!!

VOLinAthensGA writes:

in response to patmd:

Right on. This Vol still wants Scroggins. There is a reason we are in competition with USC for Jesse and not this guy. This whole transition we have gone through this past year is not for us to land an "OK" Quarterback.

GerryOP writes:

It's almost 7 months to NSD and no one has seen a single game under Kiffin. If Crompton/Stephens show up well this year, if we get wins against WKy, UCLA, and look good in the SEC, a bunch of kids with rock-solid-verbal-commitments elsewhere will be dialing/texting/twittering/whatever Kiffin & Co ... real fast.

58 -- Fear The Kiffin...

give_him_6 writes:

in response to kman29:

His team went 1-9 last year??? uh huh!

There's a lot of varibles that could lead to a 1-9 record in high school. If the kid had all of his recievers hurt and had to change offensive philosophies that means a lot. Also, it sounds like the defense was off as well. These things happen at that level plain and simple. I've seen some tape on the kid and he looks really good. Now think back, all the names being tosesed around, and scroggins wasn't in the first or second batch. We started hearing his name later on. Just like this kids. We all got "on board" with Scroggins as the end all be all of what was left out there. There is always another good kid out there. This kid looks to be in the same league as all those who have already commited. I trust Casey to let Kiff know if the kid is legit. And by all accounts he is. The world doesn't end if Scroggins waits to commit or goes to USC. I think it'll be USC though because his friends and family can watch him and it's only 20 miles from home. 2000 miles is something else. Also, Boston College wouldn't have offered if the kid didn't have something. Like Casey said, he's just flown under the radar a bit. I would be real happy with Rettig.

Go Vols!!!

gatorzwearstebowpanties writes:

in response to D_to_the_C:

are you saying he is a nobody like you

lildhoss76ut#638162 writes:

The more I hear about this kid the more confident I become.A 1-9 season is not the best thing that could happen to a kid trying to get recruited but you have to take into account the injuries on the team and the overall talent on the Cali teams he was playing against.I have a good feeling this kid will commit then put up huge #s this season on a better team.Iceman steer him our way he will be a great addition to what can be a very good team.GO VOLS!