A new knoxnews.com and govolsxtra.com design

Dear readers,

This afternoon we launched a new design a new design for knoxnews.com, knoxvillebiz.com and GoVolsXtra.com.

We hope you will like the new look but will bear with us through the afternoon switch-over. Because of the changeover, you won't be able to post comments on our Web site this morning or modify your account setting and information.

... this new design will make it easier for users to quickly scan the site for interesting and engaging stories ...

Jack Lail, Director of News Innovation

What do you think about the new look for knoxnews?

See the results »

View previous polls »

We expect some hiccups, some things that aren't exactly in the right place and some things that just won't work. But we'll correct those as quickly as we can.

After it launches and you've had a bit of time to give it a once over, we'd love to read your comments.

E.W. Scripps' Web usability experts and we at the News Sentinel believe this new design will make it easier for users to quickly scan the site for interesting and engaging stories, photos, videos and blogs. But you, the users, are the real usability experts.

- Jack Lail

Director of News Innovation

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

give_him_6 writes:

So we won't be wearing black uniforms but GO VOLS will be it looks like!!!

Different, but ok.

hhimes writes:

Like the new checkerboard background better than the old one. Looks tighter.

TnScooby writes:

So far so good...just don't change the uniforms to black!!!!!..lol

jigsha (staff) writes:

Thanks for the comments. We'll be checking this space to see if there are things we've missed.

Jigsha Desai

OrangeAppeal writes:

It would be nice to be able for those of us who like to read the comments to ignore particular users like those that just stir up trouble.

That way, we could enjoy the comments without having to endure those who logged onto Mama's computer while she was asleep.

BuckheadVol1 writes:

will take a little adjusting but it is nice looking

ctownvol writes:

Neither hot nor cold. Missing the one thing it needs....

IamScaredOfTrees writes:

Seems to work better with Opera now (No more adds on top of the text!!!). Love the darker look. Much more sleek. However, I find everything a bit too large and have to scroll a lot to find what I'm looking for (which isn't good if you were trying to make it easier to find stuff). Plus, Basketball should not be before Football... Period. Overall, everything seems layed out much better.

TommyJack writes:

Where's the Ignore Button?

RockyTop876 writes:

There was too much black in the old design. When I heard GVX was getting a redesign, I was thrilled because I thought we'd finally see a return to actual UT colors. Instead, we got even more black! Arrrggghh!!!!!

Also, why keep the "Xtra"? GoVols.com became GoVolsXtra when you guys decided to add premium subscription content. Now that the subscription stuff is gone, you don't need the "Xtra" since there isn't any "Xtra" anymore!

GoVols.com is a nice, simple, easy to remember domain name. Why not capitalize on it and market that instead?

jmatt62 writes:

Like the changes. Change is good.

teampenny#658108 writes:

not sure yet-least you are not sitting still. Miss getting the Knox paper in Johnson City

OrangeMan_86 writes:

Don't mind the new colors but I'm not sure I like the new layout really.

CoachFulmer writes:

If its not broke, don't fix it.

FearlessFreep writes:

Wow, what a really, really bad redesign. And newspapers wonder why they're losing eyeballs.
Let's see:
-Less information on pages
-Tremendous wastes of screen real-estate
-Lots of information buried beneath the scroll
-Many elements way oversized (BREAKING NEWS !!!!!!, 24 point headlines, etc.)
-Information stilted in boxes with no relation to one another.
-Hideous color scheme(s) [for both KNS and GVX) Tip: get rid of the black (this is a goth paper?)
-Performance now stinks (page loads take 3x that of old site)

But if you're after driving people away from your site, then you've succeeded.

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to RockyTop876:

Good points, but we kept all the extra stuff that was the paid version of govolsxtra.

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Where's the Ignore Button?

We never said there was an ignore button. We said you could hide comments, but that was a feature that's been on GVX for awhile (but not knoxnews). If commenters cross the line, click "suggest remove."

appalachianvol writes:

Either way I love the ink.

panties4tebow writes:

A big letdown, no ignore button!

Everyone already had the option to not read the responses by just not reading them. I don't want to read the trolls comments but I want to read other VOL FANS responses. Nothing changed except the look which I am not really impressed

The Knoxville Journal was always the better newspaper!

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to panties4tebow:

A big letdown, no ignore button!

The Knoxville Journal was always the better newspaper!

GVX had the feature, but knoxnews did not. It does now. Also, after a "troll's" comments are flagged by several different users, it's hidden and if that happens often enough, they're auto-banned without site staff being involved.

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to robvols:

We have made it more difficult for some "troublesome" commenters to quickly return. You may see some improvement there.

Volomatic writes:

I for one am a UT fan and prefer my UT sites to have a lot more orange. Not to big on the black checkerboard. I for one would rather have the old layout back, just without the ads.

Volomatic writes:

And also the headlines are in way too big bold need to be scaled down a bit. There is no longer a home tab at the menu section, whats up with that? The more I think about it and look through the site the more I see that I don't like. I for one think that this new page layout just flat out blows, In my very deepest humble opinion.

walter1998 writes:

in response to lail#204076:

Wow...that ought to stifle debate and turn it back into a homer site. I like reading alternative posts, and as long as they are on topic and clean, we ought to be able to read them.

Why does someone else get to censor what I might want to read? I hope the auto-ban takes a lot of flags. How many does it take to trigger the auto-ban feature?

golfballs03 writes:

actually, i like some of the new features, but I really don't like the color scheme. black checkerboard is gross.

oh, and does it seem slower to anyone else?

eb502us#225637 writes:

I think the layout is much better but overall, the bold black headlines are WAY over the top and hard on the eyes.

I guess most newspaper writers have gone blind from proofreading their stories. Anyway, it makes it very difficult to scroll the site. This definitely needs to be changed to a palatable shade of Tennessee orange as it's a definite turnoff.

BasketVols writes:

Looks like the News Sentinel decided to go with the black jerseys. Mike Hamilton must have not been in on the decision.

Looks good KNS! I can't wait to ignore a bunch of comments, now. Wait, WHAT? Shiny new clothes but no new Ignore Button?

Oh well, it's free, right?

BasketVols writes:

in response to give_him_6:

So we won't be wearing black uniforms but GO VOLS will be it looks like!!!

Different, but ok.

Sorry give him 6. I just read your comment after posting mine about 3 hours later. You're a very funny guy all the same!

gohawks1 writes:

in response to CoachFulmer:

If its not broke, don't fix it.

"If it ain't broke, your not trying." - Red Green

gohawks1 writes:

in response to golfballs03:

oh, and does it seem slower to anyone else?

Seemed slower to me too when I first logged on after the change, but I figure it was because there were a lot of new cookies and temporary Internet files that had to be downloaded. Things are moving faster for me now.

gohawks1 writes:

Isn't there going to be a "Home" button to quickly reach the home screen of GVX?

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

in response to lail#204076:

We have tried the "Suggest Removal" button and for some reason it does not work.

We still have to put up with the same junk as before. If we respond back, we get deleted or lose our posting rights.

It seems that KNS is doing all it can to keep this going just to increase the number of posts on each article.

Surely you can do better than this.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to gohawks1:

Never mind... found it... we must click on the GoVolsXtra logo to reach the home site.

BigOrangeVol writes:

Looking at some other newspaper websites I'd off these suggestions:

* Spell Check
* Highlight/Bold
* Color options
* Underline
* Signature tag line
* 4-Color Icon pics

Still...100x better than The Tennessean!!!!

gnm53108 writes:

I duno.

Lets kick the tires and give it spin.

We'll let you know after a few k miles...
Or so...

panties4tebow writes:

in response to lail#204076:

Thank you, since knownews does have that feature now will it become available soon on this site? I am aware of the suggest removable button and do use it but that's not enough and when the trolls get banned they just come back under another username. Those are my concerns.

IndyVol writes:

What's with the burnt orange?

burntorangeVOLffle writes:

Just my 2 cents:

1) Agree with everyone that said the black is too much for a site called GoVols. In fact where did the orange go? There is barely any on the site now.

2) Agree that the font size for headlines. Way too big. And are we really going to have to stare at that huge WKU no score for the next 2 months?

And for those asking about the home button just click on the GVX logo. That works for most other websites too.

Vol43 writes:

Just wanted to see what it looks like in Orange.

tngeoff2 writes:

Looks great.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

The new layout with various sized and typed fonts are a major distraction. The site is too dark. Way too much black. Dark and drab looking - marketing to the goth crowd? The article organization is better, but that is all that is better. IMHO, this was a step backwards in readability. Oh yeah, and it is slooooooooooooow to load now. I give it a C-

lshiple2 writes:

The new layout is pretty nice. The color scheme seems a bit dark, but it's not terrible and I can see the appeal. I can also see why some people aren't thrilled with the large font sizes. Personally though, I like them because I'm legally blind and it's nice when the size of any font increases.

By far though, the best part is the mobile site. It's a joy to use on my iPhone. All in all, not perfect but pretty good nonetheless.

1manningfan writes:

Can we ask Kiffin what he would suggest on the new layout?

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to 1manningfan:

Can we ask Kiffin what he would suggest on the new layout?

Isn't talking to the media a secondary violation? :)

golfballs03 writes:

This site is slow as molasses to load! I've got a new mac and it is much slower than the last site

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to lshiple2:

The iPhone would normally load the regular site instead of the mobile site. Have you bookmarked them for readability purposes?

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to Volomatic:

Clicking the GVX logo will take you home!

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to gohawks1:

Just click the GVX logo to go home.

1manningfan writes:

in response to lail#204076:

Isn't talking to the media a secondary violation? :)

Yeah your right maybe we should ask him to tell us through twitter. Oh wait thats right....nevermind, lol:)

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

Looking at some other newspaper websites I'd off these suggestions:

* Spell Check
* Highlight/Bold
* Color options
* Underline
* Signature tag line
* 4-Color Icon pics

Still...100x better than The Tennessean!!!!

Good suggestions. I'll pass along that wish list to the developers.