State's Top 10 prospects: (No. 6) Harrison Jones has plenty of ties to Alabama

Harrison Jones

Rivals.com

Harrison Jones

Like a lot of younger siblings, Harrison Jones seeks the counsel of his older brother from time to time.

A 6-foot-4, 225-pound tight end at Evangelical Christian School in Memphis, Jones talks to his brother a lot about the recruiting process. His brother, Alabama offensive lineman Barrett Jones, offers words of wisdom — and the occasional recruiting pitch, too.

“We for sure talk about a lot of stuff about recruiting, about what’s good in schools and what’s interesting,” said Harrison Jones, the News Sentinel’s No. 6 prospect in the state. “What he’s told me basically is to go to a place that has good people that I like, to go where I’ll feel the most comfortable spending the next four years of my life. Don’t look at just the facilities, the buildings, but more the people and where you fit in.”

And it’s Barrett’s opinion that Alabama is that place.

“Obviously being at Alabama, he’s telling me he wants me to come to Alabama,” Jones says, “but he knows it’s my choice.”

ECS coach Jim Heinz said that’s the case, despite connections to Alabama. In addition to his brother, who will be a sophomore this fall, Jones’ father, Rex, played college basketball at Alabama.

This is not a tied-in thing with Alabama. I think people need to realize that. Sometimes you have to be careful, because you don’t want that stigma, ‘That’s all I want is one school.’

Jim Heinz, ECS coach

“This is not a tied-in thing with Alabama,” Heinz told the Commercial Appeal. “I think people need to realize that. Sometimes you have to be careful, because you don’t want that stigma, ‘That’s all I want is one school.’"

“Alabama’s a great school. Don’t get me wrong. … But I think (Jones) has got a wide-open mind about it. He’s an excellent student, and I think those other schools are right there on the line with them.”

Jones said he’s closing in on his decision and hopes to commit by the end of summer.

Tennessee hasn’t extended Jones an scholarship offer, but the roster of suitors is still impressive. Alabama, Arkansas, Florida State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Stanford and Vanderbilt are in the running for his services.

At times, the recruiting process has been hectic, but Jones isn’t about to complain.

“At first, it was fun and new, getting to talk to all these people,” he said. “I don’t really like it much any more. But it’s been fun, and I’m really fortunate to be in this situation in the first place. I certainly won’t complain about it.”

A few opposing teams might complain about Jones this fall, though.

Heinz raves about Jones’ conditioning. And although his future lies at tight end, Jones sees action at wide receiver in four-receiver sets and other formations at ECS. Jones said colleges have told him he’d work best as an H-back, slot-receiver type than a traditional blocking tight end.

In short order, Jones expects to settle on a school. In the meantime, he’s enjoying a family trip out West — and the rest of his summer.

“I guess I would say I’m pretty laid back,” Jones said. “I love going out to Wyoming. It’s probably one of my favorite places. In Memphis, I just like to workout and play football, hang out with my friends and stay active as much as I can.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

beatlecakes writes:

He hasn't committed but the family has...not that we dont need him but a pappy and brothers influence are stronger than any any coach trying to recruit...

gohawks1 writes:

I guess Memphis is on the other side of the fence.

tennezz writes:

I wonder how much alabama offered him?

bigaldaddy writes:

When did Memphis become part of the great state of Tennessee?

bluetick writes:

Can't get them all. I just hope they get the top ones that we NEED.

tdtnsee writes:

Did any one else notice from number 10 till 6 we haven't offered one kid. What happened to getting the best players in the state and keeping them home, not happened so far , there's still a big hole in the so called fence we put up. Still under construction I guess.

utvolz#637682 writes:

Don't need to waste an offer on a kid who will clearly end up in Bamaville!

hueypilot writes:

Not disparaging these kids but when I see them offered by Vanderbilt, Kentucky etc. I have to wonder. Let's see how we do on the 1-5 in the state vs. the 6-10

chad_t31 writes:

Apparently we're not building a fence...we're building a stone wall but have barely laid concrete.

utchris writes:

If you watch this kid play in person, you would see why UT has failed to offer him. I think this kid goes to UNC based on some things that I have heard.

volpreacher writes:

Did anyone notice what big brother said? He said to not look at the facilities. In other words, UT's facilities are a lot better than bama but you have to come here because we are your family and you owe it to us.

AF_VOL writes:

I can see how not having to pay for books at Alabama would be an appealing recruiting tool.

watchdog writes:

in response to bigaldaddy:

When did Memphis become part of the great state of Tennessee?

It sort of is, but only just barely. Fun facts courtesy of Google Maps:

Memphis to Ole Miss - 85 miles
Memphis to Mississippi State - 173 miles
Memphis to Vanderbilt - 212 miles
Memphis to Alabama - 235 miles
Memphis to Arkansas - 319 miles
Memphis to LSU - 380 miles
Memphis to Auburn - 381 miles

Memphis to Tennessee - 392 miles

Memphis to Kentucky - 423 miles
Memphis to Georgia - 455 miles
Memphis to South Carolina - 634 miles
Memphis to Florida - 713 miles

Every SEC west team is closer to Memphis than we are, and so's Vandy.

dtacker#607308 writes:

Alabama = free books

volunteermailman writes:

blow tide blow

secsecsec writes:

in response to AF_VOL:

Heh- actually the books are free to all scholarship players at all SEC schools. At Alabama, the problem was that the players were giving their books to their friends after the semester (or quarter) had ended- when they should have been returning the books to the university.

chargervol writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

He was just pointing out the obvious. Tennessee's facilities are superior to alabama's. Apparently, you don't go to alot of games. If you did you would know that Tennessee's facilities take a back seat to none. alabama's facilities rank middle of the road in the SEC. If you have been around the other teams facilities, this is something that you cannot argue about. And, if you try, next time actually look at the other teams facilities. I'm sure you will understand his brother's plea. GO VOLS!!!

transplantiam writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Tell me Roll-Tide, What position does Jason Witten play for the Cowboys? And where did he play his college ball? I forget.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Wow...how many comments do you have on here? You a seriously a loser buddy. No arguing that.

NashvillePreds writes:

"are"

700Nitro writes:

in response to hueypilot:

What about Oklahoma and Fla.St.?

abnermc writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Actually they SOLD them to their friends,Parole,Tide,Parole.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

The number one "facility" is the stadium, and Neyland beats Bryant-Denny like a big old bass drum. We have superior game day offerings Bama will never be able to offer ... 104,000 capacity, better skyboxes, and fans who boat to the stadium. Overall, Ktown is a much more pleasant experience than Tuscaloosa. B-D holds only 92K and all Tuscaloosa can brag about is a second-rate BBQ joint.

tennrich1 writes:

Great family...known them for some time now..much prayer has gone into it..Harrison will probably wind up at Bama with Barrett...they have ever right to want to play at Bama were Rex played......