Gordon can't wait to get going

UT freshman corner knows it's big step up

Eric Gordon is ready for a bigger challenge.

The 5-foot-11, 189-pound cornerback from Hillsboro High School in Nashville began summer classes and workouts at Tennessee last week.

Gordon helped guide Hillsboro to a Class 4A state championship his senior season. He became used to being the best player on the field.

Gordon knows that won't be the case when he enters the SEC, and he's OK with that.

"I'm just ready to get in and see what it's like to play against guys that are on my level of competition," Gordon said. "I can't wait to prove myself."

Gordon can't wait to work with his new coaching staff, either.

Gordon said he believes UT's staff will help him develop a better understanding of the game.

"I always had good coaches in high school," he said, "but playing on a college level I'll be working with these guys all week so on game day I'll feel like I'm unguardable."

Gordon will be more confident on game day thanks to head coach Lane Kiffin.

Gordon, who was the first player to commit to Kiffin after he arrived at UT in December, said Kiffin's demeanor has rubbed off on his players.

"I'm glad I have a coach that's full of excitement and full of energy," Gordon said. "I love the energy he brings to Tennessee.

"Of course I want to play for him. Who wouldn't want to play for a coach like him?"

There was a point during Gordon's senior year when he didn't know if he'd be able to play right away at UT.

Gordon said he spent extra time working on his grades and preparing for the SAT test in order to become eligible this year.

Gordon said the effort was worth it.

"It made me feel pretty big that I accomplished those things," he said. "Now I'm able to attend the University of Tennessee."

Gordon knows there's a lot of attention on UT thanks to Kiffin's off-the-field efforts.

Gordon said Kiffin's arrival at UT should increase the already high intensity level in the SEC.

"I expect for a lot of teams to be gunning for us anyway, especially Florida," he said. "I just can't wait to prove myself and get on that level to play against those guys and those kinds of teams."

Josh Ward is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FlaVol2 writes:

Man, I am really disappointed with these great Tennessee kids wanting to go to out of state schools and not Tennessee! A bummer!!!

teampenny#658108 writes:

Very few great Tennessee football players but I would guess all states feel the same way. Go Vols

papavol writes:

in response to teampenny#658108:

unless you live in FL.

gohawks1 writes:

Love this guy's attitude. Can't wait to see him on the field.

DennisVols writes:

Keep hearing about the excitement and players stating they will back their coach.
Got to believe this is a good thing. By the end of the UF game last year UT was beaten mentally. No confidence un the coaching staff or in each other.
I know it will be a story written on the field once the season starts but the confidence level appears to be back with both the current and new players coming in.
Go Vols!!!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

great to hear all the excitement, but we have to remember, UF is the defending champion, bringing everyone back (almost) and are a 25 point favorite. Can't expect miracles, just hope to stay close until the fourth qtr to see how our conditioning program works.

give_him_6 writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

My feelings as well. IF, and it's a BIG IF, we get good QB play and we can run the ball well. Then we can keep the ball away from Tebag and co. The less that they have the ball the better it is for us. We have to play great on D and just don't make mistakes on offense. I agree with jhayes, we can keep it close till the fourth quarter then it's a moral victory. And I think we'll need some of those this year. Rome will not be built in a single season. But, we can darn sure lay the ground work for next season.

Go Vols

OakyVol09 writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

That was embarrassing.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

I believe that happened because they backed Phil. Funeral week.

Hounddog writes:

Eric Gordon, let's play football. Hounddog

Psychovol writes:

Wyoming was the final nail in the coffin. I think even the players knew Phil had to go and they helped him out; literally. Clawson was the worst hire ever and if Phil's ego wasn't so big he could've hired big names like we have on the staff now. That's providing he could find anyone that wanted to get on a sinking ship.

givehim6 writes:

Great! Now go make Mama & Dad, and the rest of the Vol nation proud! GO VOLS!

StroVol writes:

Hope he works out, defense will need to kick butt for the next few years. Rettig commits to BC as of yesterday. Scroggins won't come to Tenn.

transplantiam writes:

in response to grvol:

Something is wrong here! I thought for sure this thread was about Gordon being excited about becoming a Vol. Did I miss the page?

volboy81 writes:

in response to grvol:

Remember....Hamilton fired Fulmer BEFORE the Wyoming game. Probably the shock and dismay caused the Wyoming loss, although theres never any excuse to lose to Wyoming in football!