State's Top 10 prospects: (No. 2) Maclin, LSU a perfect fit

Memphis Ridgeway star can play linebacker, end

Maclin

Maclin

Justin Maclin can't say he's 100 percent certain he'll end up playing his college football on the bayou. However, he seems sure he won't end up in Knoxville.

"I think I'm pretty much firmly committed, but you never know what's going to happen," said Maclin of his commitment to LSU in late June.

One would think Tennessee would be in the hunt if the 6-foot-4, 225-pound linebacker from Ridgeway High School in Memphis reconsidered his college destination. Not so.

"I really don't know," Maclin said when asked why the Vols didn't even make his final four. "I don't think it was for me."

That's quite a defeat for the Vols considering Maclin is the News Sentinel's second-best prospect in the state.

Maclin also considered (and might still be considering) Southern California, Alabama and Illinois. He took a trip to USC for a camp in late June. The visit seemed to help the Trojans' chances of swaying Maclin.

"Since I went to USC, they would probably be No. 2," said Maclin, who had 92 tackles and 19 sacks as a junior in 2008.

It's probably not time for LSU to panic. Maclin still speaks highly about the SEC West powerhouse.

Justin Maclin

"Everywhere I've been, it's been the most comfortable," Maclin said. "The coaches are nice. I love the area - the Louisiana type of people and the atmosphere. It just seems like the perfect fit."

So perfect that Maclin couldn't keep his decision to himself as he had planned.

"It kind of just hit me and happened," Maclin said of his announcement.

It's easy to envision Maclin playing for former UT defensive coordinator John Chavis, who is at LSU.

Maclin has the versatility and speed to play all three of Chavis' linebacker positions. He also can slide to defensive end occasionally in pass-rush situations - a maneuver that Chavis has used with athletic linebackers, most recently with Jerod Mayo.

"They said they were going to try me at a few positions," Maclin said. "At LSU, they let you play all three linebacker positions so I'll probably play all three of those."

Maclin plays outside linebacker and defensive end in high school. He said he's more comfortable playing end.

"It's pretty simple," Maclin said.

Maclin also has a former teammate, kicker Josh Jasper, playing at LSU. The familiarity certainly influenced his decision.

"It makes it easier to choose (LSU)," Maclin said.

If Maclin does sign with LSU, UT will have to be prepared to guard West Tennessee or risk the Tigers building a pipeline into fertile, in-state recruiting ground.

Maclin's just enjoying the ride.

"It's kind of ending," Maclin said, "but it's been a lot of fun going through the process."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FlaVol2 writes:

Man, what is going on? Kids like Maclin need to stay and play for Tennessee.

gohawks1 writes:

I don't get it, Big Dan.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

would be nice if he were to reconsider UT, but we have several lb commits already with several more on the board considering UT (LUC for one).

I live in Memphis and can tell you, most Memphians despise UT (mostly from envy). Doesn't matter which sport. It will be hard for UT to get a stronghold here, especially with Orgeron at UT. I don't think they care for him much here, and don't underestimate the black/white issue of west tn. vs. east tn.

volzcrushm writes:

in response to 1stAndGoal:

It's really good to see you guys commenting with good information. And like the comment posted before you, 'it anin't over til it's over'.

BigOrangeJeff writes:

With his size, there's no way Maclin ever plays a down of LB in a Chavis system. He likes them undersized and fast. How many big LB prospects like this did we bring in and convert to so-so DEs? Similar to the number of hard-hitting HS safeties that were converted to LB.

Obviously, Chavis' scheme works for him, based on his success with turning out NFL LBs. It would've been nice to have a giant run-stopper filling in at the Mike. I just think it's a little sleazy for the tractor salesman (Miles) to lead him on.

Psychovol writes:

I thought Memphis was in Arkansas.

RollTideJoe writes:

1. I thought Lance Thompson said that he was going to control Memphis.
2. I thought the Dream Coaching Team was going to build a fence around the state.

chad_t31 writes:

Someone needs to put a fence around govolsxtra.com.

hotrodvol writes:

Has anyone got the scoop on Rettig? Has he commited to BC?

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

1. I thought Lance Thompson said that he was going to control Memphis.

Who wants a undersized de? John Chavis will take 'em all day long. When this kid realizes that playing lb is only plan B, he'll reconsider. I wouldn't count out Tennessee or anyone else just yet.

givehim6 writes:

I don't really think of Memphis as part of UT's recruiting zone anyway there more like northern Mississippi. His loses if he doesn't want to play for a great D coach like CMK, anyway we have a few good linebackers coming in for 2010.

invisiblekid writes:

Rettig to BC per Farrell.

2001_Volunteer writes:

Chase Rettig to Boston College. Officially.

2001_Volunteer writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Actually, this is a very good thing. This thing will absolutely play itself out in bigtime favor of the Vols in Feburary. Mark it down.

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

We could have used this guy. Just goes to show that UT usually doesn't land high profile athletes from Memphis. Guess being so far from Knoxville does hurt our efforts there.

1974Vol writes:

in response to invisiblekid:

Rettig to BC per Farrell.

That’s way bad because I have it from pretty reliable source that Scroggins committed to USC while at their camp a couple of weeks ago but just wants make his public announcement July 25 for the pub. So it looks like CLK won’t get a top QB prospect for 2010 either.

2001_Volunteer writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

It hurts doesn't it? Knowing that the Big Orange is back on top in the recruiting world. A staff that was assembled for a total of 3 weeks before it reeled in a top 10 class nationally. Bama had the whole 12 months and more. What do you think is going to happen this year now that the staff is in place? How many recruits do you think Coach O, Big LANCE THOMPSON (he's the man), Coach Montie Kiffin, and Eddie Gran are going to flip? I bet they flip at least 5 BIG-time recruits that are already committed to other big name schools, including Alabammer. I cannot wait to see how it plays out!! It's like watching a great movie, but you already know the ending, and it's awesome!!!! We may not win 10 games this year, we will however win 9(mark it down) and all the while stock piling for 2010. Bama hasn'twon anything significant in how many years now??? (A lot) is the answer I'm looking for. The Bear has been dead for a long time bro, give it up. Coach Saban cannot compete with the staff that we have assembled on Rocky Top, hell, he couldn't even keep his best recruiter from leaving to go where.........?????? THE BIG ORANGE!!!!! Go get a drink with Kenny Stabler, it's going to be a long decade. Tell all the toothless rednecks we said hello.

someofmybestfriendsarevolsfans writes:

Chase Rettig committed to Boston College today. http://bostoncollege.scout.com

bluetick writes:

Yea I agree with Luc. I'd take him for sure. There is a much greater chance of that guy being GREAT in the SEC than any linebacker I have seen in some time. Most times you really can't tell how well they will do in College ball until you see them on the field. EB is an exception and Luc is too, but it would still be nice to keep these top in State guys in Knoxville for 3-4 years.

bluetick writes:

in response to someofmybestfriendsarevolsfans:

Chase Rettig committed to Boston College today. http://bostoncollege.scout.com

Wowie. Didn't see that coming so soon. Thought he'd give UT a stronger look. I know he was about to commit to them before he got the offer from Ktown, but WOW. Surprised.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

1. I thought Lance Thompson said that he was going to control Memphis.

Kiffin will get the Memphis players he wants. Building a fence around Memphis doesn't mean he'll sign every player just to have braggin' rights. If he doesn't sign them, it's because he doesn't have a need for them.

allntl1#565211 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

1. I thought Lance Thompson said that he was going to control Memphis.

Not a fence. I think he meant he was going to put bookends in Memphis to keep bama recruiters out.

allntl1#565211 writes:

Rolltidyrolls,
You are so full of phooey. No one can hit the reply button for fear of shutting down the site with your long winded bull phooey ramblings. Your school has an ugly history with cheating being just part of that history.
You loved Lance Thompson until he made a decision that bettered himself and his family.
The NCAA for all its faults will put a stop to saban's recruiting tactics eventually.

mbradshaw1#655539 writes:

I guess they told him he would need to bulk up and play on the offensive line or defensive line.

Or maybe he lost allot of money betting on us last year. Who knows.

transplantiam writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

You're right about 'Bama having the "richest", I just don't know if you're talking their "tradition" or their "richest car salesman that supply these recruits with their new Hummers and Escalades to drive while playing for 'Bama!
GO VOLS!!