QB Rettig picks Boston College over Vols

Tennessee removed another quarterback from its recruiting board on Monday.

Chase Rettig from San Clemente High School in Sierra Madre, Calif., committed to Boston College.

UT was the only other school to offer the 6-foot-4, 200-pound Rettig.

“I felt I didn’t need to wait any longer because I felt comfortable with my choice,” Rettig told Rivals.com. “BC was the first team to offer me and that showed their commitment to me.”

UT will now hope to receive a commitment from Jesse Scroggins of Lakewood (Calif.) High School.

Scroggins, who’s considering Southern Cal and Florida, is the only uncommitted quarterback with an offer from UT.

Scroggins plans to announce his college decision on July 25 at the Elite 11 quarterback camp.

UT decided to wait until last week to offer Rettig, despite his strong performance at Tennessee’s summer camp on June 2.

A more immediate offer from UT likely would have resulted in a commitment from Rettig.

“I liked Tennessee a lot and I felt I did good there, but I never heard back from them after a few days after the camp,” Rettig told Rivals. “I wasn’t sure how interested they were after that, but then they offered me right around the time I was thinking about committing to BC.

“It gave me something to think about and both schools are great, but I was already pretty much sold on BC.”

UT has been unsuccessful selling itself to several pro-style quarterbacks in the 2010 class.

Blake Bell from Wichita, Kan., committed to Oklahoma. Jake Heaps from Sammamish, Wash., committed to Brigham Young. Andrew Hendrix from Cincinnati committed to Notre Dame.

That leaves Scroggins, who visited UT on June 20.

The Vols are appealing to Scroggins because of their thin depth chart. Junior Nick Stephens is the only scholarship quarterback scheduled to be on campus in 2010.

If Scroggins commits elsewhere, UT could shift its quarterback search to Barry Brunetti from Memphis University School.

The 6-foot, 200-pound Brunetti is committed to West Virginia but told the News Sentinel last week that he’ll still consider the Vols.

UT could find a quarterback in the junior college ranks.

Cam Newton from Blinn Community College in Brenham, Texas, and Matt Sims from El Camino Community College in Torrance, Calif., are prominent possibilities who likely will be evaluated by the Vols this fall.

Nick Lamaison from Mt. San Antonio Community College in Walnut, Calif., is a more immediate option.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Lamaison could enroll at UT and be eligible to play this fall.

Lamaison’s only offer is from North Dakota State.

Josh Ward is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VOLKING writes:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Orangebrewbasher writes:

Now im getting nervous

garycg writes:

Dang

garycg writes:

Dang it

2001_Volunteer writes:

We are fine, trust me. Feburary is a long time from now.

NoogaVol55 writes:

Sounds like he didn't like playing 2nd fiddle. Can you blame him? Hopefully Scroggins gives us some good news in a week or two.

saveoursaints writes:

in response to 2001_Volunteer:

We are fine, trust me. Feburary is a long time from now.

True that February is along ways away, but QBs commit early, which sets up OL and other skill position prospects.

jackdup4vols writes:

I can't help but feel that the prospective quarterbacks know something that we don't -- perhaps that Scroggins is coming our way and they do not want to sit on the bench behind him. If not, why would he want to go to BC when he could play "right away" for a SEC school?!?

BigOrangeVol29 writes:

This is truly worrisome, and it makes the Scroggins decision all the more important for us. Hopefully, Crompton comes out and looks good this season and proves to QBs that Kiffin can help them get to the next level or we are in deep trouble unfortunately.

jackdup4vols writes:

I am a bit surprised by this -- really thought he would commit to the VOLS.

mattgb7c writes:

Scroggins or BUST!!!!!!!

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

"Cross off" I'm not crossing off anyone! GO VOLS!!!!

MadMax writes:

Not that it matters, but I always have to laugh when a player justifies his selection with a quote, "BC produces NFL quarterbacks" Of course the the current staff hasn't put any QB's in the NFL and currently both BC and UT have two qb's each on NFL rosters. Although UT has 44 NFL players to BC's 29. But what ever makes him feel good about his choice.

samjrr writes:

Coach Kiffin will pull something out.GO VOLS!

mattgb7c writes:

Actually, at this point, Scroggins would be crazy NOT to come to the Hill...he would sit at USC and FL...hope he is thinking the same thing...we'll see the 25th...

2001_Volunteer writes:

in response to saveoursaints:

Joe Boisture committed early as well............then de-committed and then committed to a different team. This just happened a week or so ago bro. How many more flips will there be before Feb? Alot. By the way, Bryce Brown, Nukeese Richardson, Marsalis Teague, and David Oku had no problem commiting to a school with no QB recruit.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Don't watch then! GO VOLS!!!!

mattgb7c writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Very true, and I believe it's just a calculated risk he will have to take...look, I can't imagine our offense being any worse than last year...I might have to go into hiding if it is.

rusty_shackleford writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Since none of us on the board are "recruiting gurus" we really don't know what this means. BUT, I do know this...

A bad day as a Vol beats a good day as a CrimsonTurd!

Phowell23 writes:

Even if we don't get Scroggins I think we'll be fine.

There are several good JC QB's out there waiting their turn...

1974Vol writes:

A reliable sourse close to the situation says Scroggins committed to USC while at their camp a couple of weeks ago but wanted to wait until 7/25 to announce for the pub. Like 2001 says its along time to Feb. 2010 and none of these guys has signed yet and as we know these guys can change their minds.

qspr91iz writes:

This staff will produce a serviceable QB. I think we have a more serious need for O-lineman. We need Stone, Leifheit, Tait, and a few more 300lb athletes to commit ASAP.
GO VOLS!!!

Mr_Brownstone writes:

this is the guy i wanted.

volzcrushm writes:

No reason to panic. Scroggins or not, we have a long way to signing day. We need to go out this season and kick some azz!! A winning season is a lot of promise to an up and coming QB. It shows that we have something to build on and who doesn't want to "win it all"?! I THINK WE GET A BIG NAME QB BY SIGNING DAY..... just like we got Bryce, David, and a few other contenders.

mattgb7c writes:

So, who are the best Juco QB's available?

AF_VOL writes:

Who is next on the list if Scroggins doesnt commit?? I remember Ainge not being a highly touted recruit....anyone like that who looks like we could mold them or are there any JUCOS ready to go?

GoVols2009 writes:

Half our 2009 class was committed elsewhere at this time last year. It means nothing untill they sign. He was not the one we wanted anyway, we will know 7/25 if we got the one! Go Big Orange

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to 2001_Volunteer:

We are fine, trust me. Feburary is a long time from now.

Better August 2010 is even further. Go Vols

VOLDoll writes:

Why are we having so much trouble getting a QB?

volzcrushm writes:

Hey, these guys haven't even played there senior years yet. Who will rise to the top by the end of the year??? Then we can get that guy or two!!

1974Vol writes:

in response to volzcrushm:

Good point - someone who was below the radar will be a four star by next Thanksgiving; its just the way it is.

OrangeCrush writes:

I guess we will be "pounding the rock" a lot more.

I really thought we had a good chance with Chase. Guess Not!

Good luck on whomever we get, that's if we get a QB at all. Not the news I was looking for.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Scroggins would be an IDIOT to go to USC. Him committing to USC says one of two things...

a.) He believes that no matter where he goes he will never develop into an NFL quarterback, or

b.) He thinks he could redshirt, and start the last two years at USC.

If he goes to USC, his behind will be glued to the bench for three years (one redshirt), and then he will have to beat out freshman and sophomores behind him. If he's not night-and-day better than the kids behind him, he will be benched in favor of a quarterback who has more time left with the program. I don't get why kids go to USC at this point. You're low on the depth chart going in, and by the time you might "get your chance" you've got 2 or 3 years of kids recruited behind you with just as much game experience as you, and a lot more future ahead of them to develop. It makes zero sense to me.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to mattgb7c:

Wouldn't he be playing on a team that is usually playing for the NC. That means alot to some players. We are a few years away from being able to say that. Go Vols

Phowell23 writes:

Cameron Newton 6'5" 225lb 4* QB who committed to FL but was dismissed from team leads potential Juco QB's

kdaff51 writes:

Maybe Scroggins told him something he did not want to hear like "Im going to Tennessee" and Rettig figures it would be bench time in K-Town.....

huntined#565710 writes:

He didn't fit our program as he thru long completed passes without a hop on the ground and he didn't throw in the stands would never fit in at U.T. ha ha WE WENT THRU THAT ALL LAST YEAR!!So when they do sign a Q.B. he will do fine I just worry about this year..next year is a long way off!!

1974Vol writes:

in response to OrangeCrush:

I guess we will be "pounding the rock" a lot more.

I really thought we had a good chance with Chase. Guess Not!

I like pounding the rock when the rock is rolling down the field! Remember the Travis'in big games '98 Arkansas (after the fumble) and 2001 Gator. But 3 and out on 3rd and 6 after 3 runs won't cut it in this leaque.

DennisVols writes:

As much as I would like for UT to get a "Verbal" commitment from one of the top QB's they have offered it is what it is. Just a verbal. A verbal commitment would help in recruiting some top WR's and maybe some other offensive poisitions.
What all of this will come down to is the performance of this years team. CLK is an unknown and even the QB coach is somewhat an unknown at that position. If we see, and I believe we will, an improvement at the QB position and in the offense as a whole the verbals will not be as strong as some might think. The QB's know they will have a chance to play early at UT. What they don't know is how this coaching staff will do in making winners out of this years team.
If Crompton has a break out year following last years performance you can bet the talented QB recruits will take notice and minds will change. Look at the top players that decided to switch to UT last year as proff that things and minds can be changed.

smashmouth98 writes:

wow, starting to get concerned. Scroggins would have no competion at qb. come on Lane, we need the Offense to produce & show these kids we can develop a QB

1974Vol writes:

in response to kdaff51:

Scroggins has already committed to USC - see my prior post

CoverOrange writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Chicken or the egg? QBs aren't committing because there is no one in front of them and the OLs aren't committing because there is no one to protect.

Personally, I would think OLs would be happy just to block for elite RBs but I never put my hand down on a college field so I don't know.

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to Phowell23:

How many years does he have left to play?

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

lol. You out of all fans should'nt be talking about QB's. Let's not forget Bama is back to square 1 with the QB position too. From what I've heard in Mobile, A.J.McCarron has a great arm but is dumb as a brick and has no leadership skills.

Phowell23 writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

How many years does he have left to play?

Well he was Tim Tebow's backup as a freshman QB in 2007, in 2008 he reshirted and that was when he was caught with the stolen laptop and dismissed from team. I'm assuming he'll have 2 years to play 2.

td10usee writes:

These QB prospects have their entire HS Sr year to play. Since all have probably effectively played only half their careers at that level, I would expect several to emerge as great prospects this year. We will be in a good position to get them. Also, don't count this staff out on changing some commitments. However, I do believe it hurts recruiting at other offensive positions, but again it's not over until the LOI is signed.

1974Vol writes:

in response to Phowell23:

JUCO's are JUCO's because they have academic and/or character issues. You can take a chance on a DT but a QB is the on field face of your program. This staff will not take that chance with their 1st QB selection.

huntined#565710 writes:

Scroggins looks BIG now!! but getting ole CAM would not hurt.

1974Vol writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

Scroggins looks BIG now!! but getting ole CAM would not hurt.

Scroggins ain't committing people! He may eventually come after de-committing to USC; but when announces July 25 he'll be wearing a trojan hat!

cgbtn writes:

in response to jackdup4vols:

Maybe it's Reaves and the quarterbacking nightmare that existed at South Carolina (yeah, I know Spurrier is nuts). Maybe,as a position coach, Reaves is not on a par with the rest of the staff. Maybe he's just a brother-in-law. What can he promise a prospect about preparing him for the NFL?