Pearl's U.S. team rolls by France 131-77

Coach Bruce Pearl’s Maccabi USA team raced past France on Wednesday, 131-77, at the 18th World Maccabiah Games in Netanya, Israel.

That was considerably closer than a 112-13 win over Mexico in the opening round.

“We continue to shoot the ball well,’’ said Tennessee’s fifth-year head coach. “We made 14 3-pointers.

“The next two games in pool play — Russia and Argentina — are both stronger than France.’’

Todd Golden, who played collegiately at Saint Mary’s, led the USA with 25 points. Dan Grunfeld, the former Stanford star and son of UT legend Ernie Grunfeld, added 23.

UT junior Steven Pearl had nine points, five rebounds and two assists.

The win avenged a loss to France here four years ago, which forced the USA to settle for bronze instead of silver.

“Our players certainly remembered that outcome,’’ Pearl said.

The USA meets Russia on Sunday.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ironcity writes:

in response to A_VOICE_OF_REASON:

Your nothing but bitter. Coach Pearl has been kicking your teams but (whoever they are) for the last five years and its clear your just bitter!

CoachFulmer writes:

in response to A_VOICE_OF_REASON:

Im pretty sure these games are for Jewish athletes, so saying that, Pearl is doing this for his country and his religion. I don't think he is doing this for his own personal gain or ego.

Phowell23 writes:

I can't believe Mexico scored 13 points, Pearl's defense must be soft LOL

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

CBP is serving The Orange,,,, The Red, White, and Blue! He is serving as an American Ambassador to the Jewish World of Sports, He is carrying the American Star of David so to speak.

Walking around with a Target on his back in a Combat Zone. Extremists would love nothing better than to blow up or kidnap the US Jewish Delegation to these games. (I imagine he took his other three children as well as Steven being there, and his almost wife).

We have a daughter that is a Senior at UT, she has studied for the last year in Israel. That place is a nightmare.

And NO! we are not Jewish, just simple Southern Baptist and Catholic. Damn attack CBP professionally, but to say he is feeding his Ego? Maybe some folks need to lear to hate the game, not the player.

As to working with his players at UT, that would be a major NCAA Violation at this time.

TkelynN writes:

in response to A_VOICE_OF_REASON:

haha, sounds like Coach Pearl stole your girlfriend, calm down man, she wasnt good enough for you anyway. There are other fish in the sea, your time will come. You know what they say, love will find you when you least expect it. Just lay off the bitter pill and appreciate the spokesperson the university has in Bruce Pearl. You shouldnt be complaining about him and his short comings in the tournaments, afterall we could have coaches like, Peterson, O'Neill, Houston, Green, then there would be no hype or big expectations.... ahh, simple minded you are... you will learn in time.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

in response to A_VOICE_OF_REASON:

You state that you have been a Tenn fan and supporter for years, if that was true, you would know that Bruce has done more for this basketball program then anyone thought was possible just a mere five years ago. Six or seven years ago I was told by someone who is very influential in college basketball that Tenn. would never be able to field a program capable of being a national power in basketball. I talked to him a month ago and he said that Bruce Pearl had done for Tenn basketball what most thought impossible. He said, not only was Tenn on the verge of becoming a national power in basketball but they will be there to stay as long as Pearl hangs around. In his words, Pearl promotes the University of Tennessee as well as anyone out there promotes their school in either college basketball or football and has created a relationship with many of the renowned high school hot beds of basketball talent. You say that he does nothing that doesn't promote himself. No, the fact is, he does nothing but promote the University of Tennessee and fortunately for those of us who are true Tenn. fans, this will bring us years of being a national power in basketball. Bruce Pearl has accomplished something most experts in college sports thought nearly impossible at a school known for football. He told me it would be like someone walking into Kentucky and building a national power in football. Chances are slim and none. Well Bruce has not only bucked those odds but he does it while promoting our great university. So sir, crawl back under the rock you came out from under because you know not of what you speak.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

First, I'm a long way from being a kid. Second, you have no idea what you are talking about. I happen to talk to people who know a little more then you, even though that obviously doesn't take much. You only show your lack of knowledge by continuing to make such statements. Ask the former players of Pearls. Ask them who and what he promotes. I guarantee you the answer will not be himself. Ask the administration over on the hill how well he represents and promotes the University. The answer will make your words sound as ridiculous as they are. You speak of something of which you have no knowledge. You might convince some others that your drivel is true but I happen to know better. So go convince someone who doesn't know the truth.

chargervol writes:

All I can say about these comments are, you only hate what you don't understand. Voice, you need to calm down a little bit. We don't want you to have a stroke. If Pearl is promoting Pearl, it still helps Tennessee's program. He brings attention to the program. Who is going to be the winningest coach in Tennessee's history when Bruce retires or tries another challenge? Answer is Bruce Pearl, you're just going to have to deal with it. It is what it is! Try not to get your blood-pressure up like that, it is not healthy. Chill! GO VOLS!!!

SmokyMTNVol writes:

in response to rclarkfork#639958:

UT a national power? LOL! As my kids would sat. What in hell have you been smoking? I think that is a lot of wishful thinking on your part young man.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

in response to RockyMountainVolunteer:

Well gosh if your friend who is a grad of Butler believes it , must be fact. LOL You are making a joke of yourself. I also did not say they are a national power yet but they are headed in that direction. In 3 yrs we will look and see where Tenn is. Guarantee it won't be in a league with Butler, Xavier and Dayton. But I'm sure I must be wrong, I'm not a friend of yours or an alum of Butler U. That has to be one of the lamest post I've ever seen. I'll throw out a couple of names that think they are headed towards being a national power. Try Grunfield and Packer....they might just have a little better understanding of what is happening then your Butler Alum...I have been rolling in the floor ever since I read that one. Can't wait to tell that one at the next get together. ROFLMAO I'm through posting on this subject, can't discuss with people who have alum friends from Butler....they know too much basketball up there

VOLDoll writes:

in response to rclarkfork#639958:

As much as I respect the job CBP has done here at UT, we are nowhere near the basketball school Xavier is. They have been in the national spotlight for a very long time and have produced many professional ball players.
So you sir have no right to call anyone a joke. It seems you write with your heart and not your brain.

Slystone writes:

Some one better call Pearl and tell him to get his butt back over here as rumour has it his top recruit Josh Selby has decommitted.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

this is a fact per rivals.com

Anyone know the reason or can anyone speculate on why the decommit??

Slystone writes:

Rumours have been said that it's a shoe thing, which makes no sense because Josh knew UT is and Adidas school, but he has some fondness to Nike. Also I heard that World Wide Wes may be involved, again just a rumour. If UK is involved this would be an ultimate slap in Pearl's face. On some other sites I heard he was wanting to be closer to home.