Juco QB Lamaison signs with Vols, school's Web site reports

Nick Lamaison, a first-team junior college All-American from Mt. San Antonio Community College, has signed with Tennessee, according to the junior college’s Web site.

Last season as a freshman, Lamaison, 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, led the Mounties to a conference and Southern California championship.

“We will truly miss Nick, however we are excited for him and his opportunity to play and challenge for the starting job at Tennessee”, Tom Craft, the Mounties’ offensive coordinator, is quoted as saying on the site. “Had he stayed for another season with us, he would have challenged many of the all-time community college records.”

Lamaison finishes his Mounties career with 3,479 yards of passing, 36 touchdowns and a passing efficiency of 166.5.

Tennessee has been hunting a top-flight high school quarterback, with only one scholarship quarterback, Nick Stephens, on the roster after this season. Signing the junior college standout should help ease the situation as UT continues to pursue a high school playcaller.

Lamaison played high school football at South Hills High School in Covina, Calif.

The college is located in Walnut, Calif., 25 miles east of Los Angeles.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volstuckinbama writes:

This is great news.........Just a day later. Way to be on top of things KNS.

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

I knew not to worry about the QB thing. I still think they might get one of the other blue-chippers too.

TSNSD4UT writes:

Welcome to Tennessee young man now get to work.

Hounddog writes:

Go Vols! let's play football. Hounddog

TommyJack writes:

A good thang.

GoVols_16 writes:

I hope this guy can play in big-time football environments!! Does this signal the death nail for Scroggins? Is it too late for BJ to come back?

voloffaith writes:

in response to GoVols_16:

Most believe young Mr. Scroggins has the hammer in his hand and it has initials carved on it that read USC. He will drive the nail himself. He has the right to pull back the hammer and don a UT hat if he so chooses.BJ burned the bridge behind him leaving no return possible.

On topic, welcome Mr. Lamaison(sp) to big orange country!

TSNSD4UT writes:

Forget BJ he made his on choice ,I'll take Scroggins or the Grayson kid and go from there.

golfballs03 writes:

in response to GoVols_16:

No this has more to do with Rettig choosing BC

golfballs03 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

On topic, welcome Mr. Lamaison(sp) to big orange country!

enough with the methaphors

OakyVol09 writes:

This kid getting to play a whole year in a CC in California is better, in my opinion, then sitting on the bench at a bigger school for a year. I think that experience will help him compete. If nothing else, at least it will add some decent quality depth to the QB position w/out scaring off top recruits since he will start playing in '09. This is good news. Go Vols!!

TSNSD4UT writes:

in response to durangokid01#608209:

No not hung up on him coaching staff wants him so I a Vol fan want him plain and simple ok.

BigOrangeVol writes:

It's sad when the Bama site had this news up 10 hours before KNS! Mt. SAC site had on their college site yesterday. I guess nobody from UT issued a press release to KNS on Wednesday.

hotrodvol writes:

Lamaison signing is just a product of our lack of depth. He also counts towards this past signing class and not the next. Who knows we could be down to our third string QB during the season and really need him. But he is a good safety net and could turn out to be a good player.

volnbig11land writes:

Welcome to the Vols Nick!

I realize he played for a CC last year but if those numbers are any indication of his skills, be afraid JC, be very afraid!

Go Vols!!

hotrodvol writes:

If Scroggins doesn't choose the VOLS, Grayson might be the next QB prospect.

Go4Two writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

Welcome to the Vols Nick!

Go Vols!!

I think you may have answered your question. "played for a CC last year".

BigOrangeVol29 writes:

This is certainly good news as Lamaison comes in as a true Sophomore and can provide at least some experience above the High School/Prep School level in the event we do fall to our 3rd QB and of course this is assuming that he doesn't shine this fall and win a spot higher on the depth chart. Sure, it would have been great if he could have made it in during the spring to help him learn the offesne, but hey at this point I'm just very happy to have him here. As for Scroggins, every one seems to think that USC is simply a matter of time for the young man and if that is the case, best of luck out there playing for the school he dreamed of playing for, so I say let's focus on Grayson ( a life-long fan of Peyton Manning and fan of UT) and Brunnetti (a claimed life-long UT fan although I have my questions about committing to WV with a supposed UT offer). Welcome LaMaison, look forward to seeing you on the field Saturdays.

SCarolinaVols writes:

Good Get, Welcome to the Hill

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

Whether Lamison was plan C or D or whatever, this is good news just the same. This gives us a healthier situation now at quarterback, maybe not what we had planned or preferred but better than nothing at all. I wonder too about the jc route but who knows, he may be a late bloomer and turn out to be a stud. Nice recovery there coaching staff and Go Vols.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to gbeejr#1354500:

Good post and I agree. Go Vols!

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Go4Two:

I think you may have answered your question. "played for a CC last year".

I hear ya Mike but I'm still hopeful that he can help us.

I know the Clawson offense (or lack thereof) was hard to adjust to, but I also think JC was rusty, bad or overhyped coming out of high school.

I truly hope JC has a great year, but I am not looking for him to bounce back like EA did. That's just my opinion and I'm certainly no expert.

At any rate, welcome Nick and Go Vols!

vscebail#247785 writes:

The CC's web-site says Lamaison was injured and didn't play in the play-offs last year. Does anybody have any information on this?

theone writes:

in response to wlvol:

casey was not good? eric looked alot of the time. we have had some good qbs after peyton.

StroVol writes:

in response to robvols:

I doubt Scroggins is going to lay down to Barkley. We need to go after 2011 QB and Coach up Stephens to make us competive this year. Also, Berry will play some offense against UCLA and Florida. He'll learn two plays. The 23 and 24 skidoo.

deakinbi writes:

in response to volstuckinbama:

This is great news.........Just a day later. Way to be on top of things KNS.

Same school as Steve Allitorie

BigOrangeVol writes:

I wonder if KNS has looked into the status or talked to either Munchie Legaux or Jeffrey Godfrey? Evidently they have been offered.

tennezz writes:

This guy has a live arm and is very good on the long throws! I can see nick and nuke making a lot of big plays for us! He should be very good in a pro style offense!

TheAuthority writes:

At least we got someone to add at the QB depth, especially if he'll be on the roster this season. Optimistically, there is still a lot of time between now and NSD for either someone to de-commit from a verbal elsewhere or even the guys who are currently off the radar but have monster senior seasons to materialize. You never know...

In an entirely un-authoritative opinion, I still like the ex-Red-Sock guy as my darkhorse for later this season or even next year or further into the future. He's got the size, maturity, work ethic and 4 years of eligibility...

And PS - We don't care what anyone from Bama or FL thinks. The Kiff wasn't hired for you or your team. Get a life.

TnScooby writes:

I think this kid is a solid signing...First Team JC All-American...CLK and staff are doing a great job recruiting and I still think we will be fine...All the negative stuff is just that-negative...Hope we get Scroggins but if not I have confidence in the kids we have who DO want to be a Vol...Here are 2 short clips of Lamaison...Best of luck Nick and welcome to Big Orange Country!!!!!

givehim6 writes:

OK, dumb question time. What year will Lamaison be available to play for UT? 2009 or 2010? I'm thinking becouse he is JC he could play this year, but it might be better to start Lamaison in 2010 that will give him a year to learn the system. Did he play pro style at JC?

td10usee writes:

in response to Krusty_The_Kiffin:

Well hello Coach Fulmer. Is that you?? Welcome back.

Volunatic writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

I just went to the Mt. San Antonio Community College website and didn't see this story anywhere.
Got a link?

GerryOP writes:

in response to Krusty_The_Kiffin:

Totally agree. Those other D-1 schools, all of them, are missing out big time! Good post.

Volunatic writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

I think he was being sarcastic, but your comments on the subject are still valid.

jimr07 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

or just stupid. i vote for stupid

Psychovol writes:

Does anybody know how many years of eligiblity he has left?

GerryOP writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Desperation? Guess you are not very good at reading people. Right now the anticipation, enthusiasm and excitement on The Hill is greater than it has probably ever been in the 21st century. Since you are on here all of the time, you must share that excitement and enthusiasm. No?

51 -- Fear The Kiffin...

auttat writes:

in response to VOLinCockCuntry:

Actually, that is DC

GerryOP writes:

in response to RollTideRoll987:

Or maybe he was at a Juco becuase he needed to get experience, mature a bit, develop good study habits, and spend a year with coaching above the HS level so that he could improve his opportunity for hooking on a with a bigger University? Ya' think maybe?

BTW, your last sentence? True, we don't care about your opinions.

BuckheadVol1 writes:

Nick could turn out to be our Kurt Warner. Welcome to UT Nick!

GerryOP writes:

in response to BuckheadVol1:

Nick could turn out to be our Kurt Warner. Welcome to UT Nick!

Agreed! At least he has played some ball above the HS level. That is more than these "rock-solid-verbal-commits" that everyone is drooling over can say. And ... he can suit up for us immediately!

dirty_don writes:

The Bear was a nerd

vscebail#247785 writes:

Still trying to find out about the injury that kept him out of the JUCO play-offs last season. Anybody have any information on this?

dirty_don writes:

Ankle injury i believe

Mr_Brownstone writes:

If we are signing him at this point, what does it say about the staff's confidence to win with Crompton or Stephens???

GerryOP writes:

in response to Mr_Brownstone:

Nothing.

tgw#509824 writes:

Interesting conversation about Lamaison. Attended the same J.C. as Kevin Craft at U.C.L.A.

BuckFama writes:

A-L-A-T-O-R-R-E.

Back to the business at hand ... I don't care who the Vols get at QB. I just hope that whoever they DO sign ends up breaking all of Peyton's records, and the other records, and has to work out in order to be able to raise his ring-wearing hand.

GO VOLS!!

abnerPeabody writes:

sign him up,coach him up and just win.