Scroggins sticking by July 25 announce date, coach says

Despite internet rumors to the contrary, Tennessee quarterback prospect Jesse Scroggins will not announce his decision this evening.

"No, it's not going to (happen today)," Scroggins' high school coach, Thad MacNeal, told the News Sentinel on Thursday afternoon.

MacNeal said that 6-foot-3, 200-pound Scroggins will announce his decision on July 25 from the Elite 11 quarterback camp as previously planned.

MacNeal said Scroggins is still deciding among UT, Southern California and Florida.

An earlier announcement could have spelled trouble for the Vols considering many believe the Trojans have made a strong push recently for the highly rated quarterback from Lakewood (Calif) High School. Had Scroggins' announcement been made today, it could have been paired with that of Scroggins' teammate, receiver Dion Bailey.

Bailey has shown limited interest in UT. Many believe he'll end up committing to Southern Cal. Bailey and Scroggins committing together would have the makings of a USC press conference.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Wauconda_Vol writes:

Interesting. I hope we have some decent alternatives to this kid.

chad_t31 writes:

Why put off the inevidable? It would be a MAJOR shock if he comes here.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Indeed...I don't expect Scroggins to come. I also still don't understand this postponing a decision he's already made.

Absurdity.

Rockford writes:

I've been reading about Scroggins every day on Google News and nothing that I have read would make me think he is locked in at USC. I think all three teams still have a shot.

dvhill100 writes:

Whatever. I have lost interest in the process. I'll check back on the 25th and see what he decides.

givehim6 writes:

Let's see should I ride the bench on the west coast or the east coast? Or go to the Mnts. and play right away?

ravensearay writes:

All I know is it's 50 more days till it's "FOOTBALL TIME in TENNESSEE!!!!!" GO VOLS!!!!!!

tennguyinengland writes:

Hope this article helps, and I do hope that this means we have a great shot.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I don't know why a blue chip QB would opt to go to a school where he won't play much when he has a cleared path to be the QB of a storied SEC program. But the desire to stay at home might be too strong. We'll see soon enough.

I hope he commits to UT, I'd love to have him, but I don't think it will be a disaster if he doesn't.

Psychovol writes:

If he's smart he'll come to UT so I hope he's smart.

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

I don't think Scroggins is coming. Perhaps the existing qb situation as it is at usc appeals to Scroggins and he favors the sit-on-the-bench-until-my-turn. Isn't that what Sanchez did and look what happened to him. I'm sure Scroggins is hearing plenty of that from the usc coaches. Also he may not be comfortable with so much pressure to produce so early and doing it in the SEC - the baddest football in the country. What Scroggins may fear is not deterring Lamison. Welcome young Lamison.

EB4Heisman writes:

in response to tennguyinengland:

Hope this article helps, and I do hope that this means we have a great shot.

what does the article say....dont have scout.com membership

golfballs03 writes:

Work some magic Kiffin

chrisw2967 writes:

would like to have scroggins but if he wants to ride the bench ,then so be it.If he goes to USC and rides the bench it may be longer than he thinks becuase next year they will sign 1 if not 2 more QB as good or better than him.
either way the sun will rise again on Rocky Top.

Hrockytop writes:

Bailey has shown little interest in UT??? If it wasn't for his better half we would have shown NO interest in him or any other major school for that matter! Well at least Jesse will have someone to cut up and share a milkshake with at USC while there both riding the pine.

VolunteerLifer writes:

In response to jbeerjr: "I don't think Scroggins is coming. Perhaps the existing qb situation as it is at usc appeals to Scroggins and he favors the sit-on-the-bench-until-my-turn. Isn't that what Sanchez did and look what happened to him. I'm sure Scroggins is hearing plenty of that from the usc coaches. Also he may not be comfortable with so much pressure to produce so early and doing it in the SEC - the baddest football in the country......."

Well, if he favors sitting on the bench for his first year, he could always sit behind Nick Stephens, who'll be a senior, in 2010. We'll be rebuilding our offensive line that year, so it might be good for him to be a back up and learn instead of trying to start as a freshman behind an inexperienced O-line. So he can always choose UT, too, if he wants to play back up for a year.

hotcarl writes:

in response to Hrockytop:

It IS Los Angeles. Maybe they'll hold hands on the sideline.

hotcarl writes:

It's been posted before, but THIS is why Florida sucks...

GerryOP writes:

Whatever ... 202 days until NSD.

51 -- Fear The Kiffin...

murrayvol writes:

There is a time to chill and this is it. In 9 days he will announce and the GVX Peloton can move on to the next obsession.

tdtnsee writes:

in response to Rockford:

Agreed!! I am so tired of all these negative posters on here saying he's made a decision just because he's set a press conference date. Quit saying he's not comming cause u don't know. I for one know he will be a vol. I have a guy close to his recruitment that says he will be a vol on the 25th. Scroggins is waiting til then so he can give UT a huge boost in recruiting cause a lot of prospects that he's been talking to will be watching and exspect some big name guys to follow soon after. JMHO I think Pete Carroll is just tring to show Lane Kiffin that he's still the man cause he doesn't need scroggins he just wants to get him to show Lane! GO VOLS!!!

Hrockytop writes:

in response to brownsvillevol:

I did and my mistake. Jerry Anderson is who I meant.

I stand corrected.

Thanks Brownsvillevol.

Volunatic writes:

I think he would be the starter at SoCal pretty early on-- he's that good.
If he simply likes UT better, then we will definitely be glad to have him.
He will immediately get "rock star" status here in Knoxville, and can be remembered as the QB that rebuilt Tennessee's tradition. That has to be pretty tempting...

txvolsfan writes:

I for one would be scared of USC, every sports person I hear lately talks about how bad it was for USC when the NCAA lumped the Mayo and Bush investigation together. A lot of people in the know think that the end result of this will be bad for Trojans football and basketball. I'm hear could be lose of TV, Bowls, Scholarships, it could finally get ugly in LA!!!

RockinTop writes:

Ok, I am sure it has been said 10,000 times, sort of....but here's my thinking....

It's pretty clear that USC has plenty of QB's and also pretty clear barring catastrophe, Barkley will be their guy...all speculation but it would appear it's going to be so.....

But, if all that's true, and it's a no brainer that if Scroggins comes to Tennessee he will be the man, pretty soon, barring catastrophe,....I just cannot imagine any father standing in the way of his son going where he KNOWS he will get to play very quickly, almost guaranteed.

Why would a dad do that? Because he is Alum at USC? That doesnt make sense to me. Because it's closer to home and less expensive to go see him? That doesnt make sense to me either....because they would likely be seeing him on the sidelines.

Anyway, I really will be shocked if Scroggins doesnt come here for these two reasons alone. Shocked that he and his dad would make such a risky decision with such talent....it just doesnt make sense to me that his dad would be influencing what is likely a poor decision if it's USC.

And dont let anyone kid you.....he can get a FINE education at The University of Tennessee!

Go Big Orange!

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

A chance to play for a National Championship and win the Heisman is another. He stands a better chance of this at this time with USC or Florida. Go Vols

arvolfan writes:

in response to TebowQuitTryingToCircumciseMeAndPutDownThatScalpel:

txvolsfan writes:

in response to MagicMan:

commits mean nothing, remember Teague, Richardson and Bryce Brown. They all were commits to other schools and now are Vols!!! So your point is mute!!! They mean absolutely nothing.
Go Vols
TXVOLSFAN

voloffaith writes:

in response to MagicMan:

Got a couple of questions fer ye. When is national signing day? How many of these have signed so far? Get the point? It really doesn't matter til the papers have been signed or faxed in to start bragging or in your case ragging. ON TOPIC, Young mister Scroggins will play this out and we will know his intentions for sure the day at elite 11 camp. Until then keep bobbing and weaving to miss the punches from your favorite VOL fans....

txvolsfan writes:

Give me the numbers in Feb. not July!!!

By the way doesn't your team have a site?

blitzshoot writes:

doesn't look good.

belayvol writes:

Actually, it looks great. Especially if he visit's this weekend.

HallowedHill writes:

Hmm, he only mentions UT in his most recent CBS interview. I'm crossing my fingers!!!

tennguyinengland writes:

in response to EB4Heisman:

what does the article say....dont have scout.com membership

The article is saying that it only betters the chances of us landing Scroggins, instead of him announcing today with Dion Bailey, since he is committing to USC. That would only likely mean that Scroggins is committing to USC. So hopefully all of this is true, because I know I'm getting tired of trying to keep track of what in the heck is going on. I'm gonna put my faith in the coaching staff to reel him in. Can't wait for the 25th to get here to get a top-notch qb, and getting back to focusing our attention back to the guys that will actually step on the field this year. Go VOLS!!!

give_him_6 writes:

Playing time with UT. Riding the bench for a few years, or longer with USC. I also think Florida is out of it. He seems to be, according to the press reports, looking for more of a pro style offense. The close proximtity to his home will be huge for UT to overcome. Good luck wherever he lands. I hope it's with us but I'm not real positive about it.

Go Vols

HallowedHill writes:

Check out the latest interview with Scroggins. He only mentions one team...

108236@kcbs.dayport.com">http://cbs2.com/video/?id=108236@kcbs...

HallowedHill writes:

Hmmm, seems I am not allowed to post my link. If you can make some sense of the link above, the 2nd part of the link is being injected at the front.

The video has Scroggins speaking highly of UT.

Salpointe writes:

I wonder if Scroggins understands that former Alabama coach Bear Bryant used to recruit really good football players in order to sit them on his bench so he wouldn't have to face them on the opposite side of the field. This couldn't be a USC tactic in modern college football today could it?

JayTee writes:

For those who think Scroggins is the answer to your prayers and the starting job is his in waiting, dream on.

He hasn't played a down of collge football even though he looks good on film doesn't prove a thing.

Until he is under fire in a real game at the college level no one knows how he will perform one way or the other.

Remember Sterling Hinton, best practice QB ever.

tdtnsee writes:

in response to Rockford:

Thank u!!! That's what I've been telling these negative posters on here. So negative, what if Scroggins did read some of these comments on here? Bad mouthing an injuried player or because USC has just offerd saying, its over now there's no way he's comming to UT now. Great Fan support Vol fans!!!! We all need to have faith this isn't the fulmer run Tennessee Vols,This is the LANE KIFFIN run TENNESSEE VOLS BABY, THE ERA of the TENNESSEE VOLS has begun. If we want the best players in the nation we as fans have to do our part, We need to support OUR Team and the players no matter WHAT!! Its time to rally around our University of Tennessee Vols! GO VOLS!!!!!

tdtnsee writes:

Has anyone wonderd why the lamison story leaked out yesterday or the day before? I'm just saying kind of strange, could Pete Carroll be worried and made a call to the CC and told them to break the story? Just to strange it leaked on the same day, this has a stinch to it!

tdtnsee writes:

in response to tdtnsee:

Cause it was rummered that Scroggins was going to announce yesterday!

InertGas writes:

Hey witchdoctor. What do the bones say ????

Rockford writes:

Nice post HallowedHill. One of the things Scroggins mentions is how awesome everyone was when he visited Knoxville. It would be nice if he made an unofficial visit some time next week. Get the Rock ready.

tdtnsee writes:

in response to tdtnsee:

I'm telling u he is a VOL, its a done deal. He is wanting to help UT in recruiting or he would have already committed to USC they were to late just as we were on Rettig, Lane Kiffin has sold the hell out of this program to these kids and when Scroggins commits on the 25th on ESPN all his other boys will follow!!! Mark it down. GO VOLS!!!!

BigAl writes:

You have to remember that these guys never think they are going to be on the bench for a few years. They all have egos, and think they'll go and win the starting job. Scroggins would be no different at USC. Jonathan Crompton was the same way; when asked about coming here though Ainge and Schaeffer were here already, he said it wasn't a problem, that he'd beat those guys out. USC is close to home for Scroggins, and that is likely to be a major factor in his decision.

Orange_Rush writes:

He is going to commit on Wed. the 22nd on ESPN live. From the things i have heard, i have a good feeling about it. We will see though.

txvolsfan writes:

If you read the buzz around the super 7 on espn recruiting, It says that the buzz around camp is that Scroggins will be committing to USC before the end of the month?
Not sure if it's true or not and again, he is 18 years old and anything can happen.