Scroggins to announce Wednesday

Jesse Scroggins will announce his college destination Wednesday.

The highly rated quarterback from Lakewood (Calif.) High School was originally scheduled to announce his decision this coming Saturday at the Elite 11 Quarterback Camp.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Scroggins has long been considering Tennessee, Southern California and Florida.

UT was long thought to lead for Scroggins’ services before he earned a scholarship offer from the Trojans in June after a standout performance in a USC camp. Now, most believe Southern Cal is in the lead. Scroggins lives less than 20 miles from USC’s campus.

The Vols, however, have a near vacant depth chart on their side. UT is slated to have only one scholarship quarterback, Nick Stephens, on its roster following this season.

UT will likely add Nick Lamaison to the mix. The 6-1, 200-pound quarterback from Mount San Antonio Community College in Walnut, Calif., declined to confirm that he had signed to be a Vol last week when reached by the News Sentinel.

Lamaison’s school Web site reported he was signed on Wednesday but the school later removed the story.

The Vols also have former minor league baseball player turned walk-on quarterback Mike Rozier on the roster.

If Scroggins does indeed commit to USC, he will be the latest of a handful of quarterbacks who spurned the Vols’ advances.

Jake Heaps from Sammamish, Wash., committed to BYU. Andrew Hendrix from Cincinnati committed to Notre Dame. Blake Bell from Wichita, Kan., committed to Oklahoma. Chase Rettig from Sierra Madre, Calif., committed to Boston College.

UT won’t likely give up on recruiting another quarterback for the 2010 class. It remains to be seen if the Vols will offer another high school, pro-style quarterback. More likely, UT could pursue another junior college quarterback.

Barry Brunetti from Memphis University School is also a possibility. The Vols pursued him heavily before he committed to West Virginia.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

sizematters writes:

i have read everything that i can find and have not seen anything saying he is going to usc .so y dont we set back and see who he chooses could be a surpise

givehim6 writes:

Thanks for the update KNS. I Don't think there's a Vol out there that does not know that.

vol_chaz writes:

Did Jesse ever make it to campus this weekend? Not sure what this means, that he moved up his announcement. I say lets offer Grayson.

chad_t31 writes:

And the soap opera continues...never liked them before and I don't like them now. I agree...carroll has him convinced to take the mark sanchez route. I don't blame the kid either way he chooses..let's just get on with it. Geeeez.

bluetick writes:

I wish I knew Kiffins thoughts right about now. He has a feeling one way or another or maybe he knows something all of us don't know. Maybe we will all be shocked like we were with Nukese and Bryce. Patrick Turner would have posted better numbers at UT in my opinion, and so would Jesse.

lomas98 writes:

Keep an eye on Kiffin's twitter account between now and Wednesday. I'm sure he will let the cat out of the bag before then.

hotrodvol writes:

One thing is for sure they are keeping it close to their vest, in Cali. I would say UT will not offer another QB until they can see some film and evaluate other prospects. That is if they don't get Scroggins.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to chad_t31:

First off, this is July of 09. This is not Bryce Brown Soap Opera stuff that last until post national signing day. Scroggins will do what he thinks is best for him and no one can fault him for that. Hopefully, he will choose UT. But to say a guy is being dramatic while he is planning on announcing before the start of his senior year is uncalled for.

DennisVols writes:

Right now it doesn't matter what they say because verbal commitments are NOT Binding.
It would help UT to land some more offensive players if they do have a top QB commit early but as we saw last Feb. This staff is more than capable of getting the star recruits even at the last minute.
Scroggins is just a likely to commit to UT on Wed. as he is to USC. The depth chart is a big plus here.
The biggest thing going against UT right now is there is no record to hang your hat on concerning the offense. Last year it was one of the worst in UT history. The new staff does signal a change but no one has seen it function as of yet in a real game.
Kiffin has a good resume as a OC at USC but this is his 1st stop as a HC in college. The #'s USC puts up many might question if they could compete against the SEC elite.
So we need to be patient. If this offense improves, I think it will be, then how signing day pans out will change for UT.
Scroggins, if he doesn't commit to UT, and any of the other top QB's will take another serious look at UT if Crompton shows the talent he did coming out of H.S..
So don't worry too much about the verbals elsewhere right now. The top recruits need to see to believe.

cowvols writes:

it does not matter, we got the brown man............ he will rush for 2000 yds his so. yr. i dont care if we ever throw another pass........ go big time BROWN!

chad_t31 writes:

in response to ArealVolFan:

First of all, thanks for letting me know what time of year it is. A big thumbs up to you. Secondly, when a player goes back and forth on the DATE on which he'll committ so he can bring attention to himself at an event such as the elite 11 camp, yes, that's being a drama queen, or king in his case. I never said he shouldn't, or won't, make the decision that's best for him. Understand the post next time before you call something "uncalled for".

tdtnsee writes:

Does anyone else wonder why last week the lamison story broke the same day that it was rummored Jesse was going to announce his commentment,and kmow he's going to announce wed. The start of S.E.C media days. Does this seem odd or is it just me ? Somebodys pulling the stings behind the sceens the question is , is it Lane Kiffin with the motive of him announcing before the media days so it could get a lot of press and so he won't get bombbarded with questions about the QB position or lack thereof. Or is it Pete Carroll wanting him to commit on wed to poke a jab at Kiffin or Does Myer what to Look across the table at Lane and rub it in that he stole a recruit from us like we did from him last year. It seems Myer would have the most to gain from this, even Kiffin would have a lot more to gain than Pete Carroll. At this point it has Lane Kiffin writtin all over this one. SCROGGINS=VOLS

mike_d writes:

I am scared of these people who rip some 18 year old kid over where he decides to play football. They are living their lives for themselves....not you. Sit in front of your computer and wish your life away and let other peoples kids do what they want.

golfballs03 writes:

The fact that he's moving his announcement up indicates to me that he's going to USC. But who knows, crazier things have happened.

stayingorange writes:

the fact that he's moving his announcement up to Wednesday means to me that he will let us know then instead of waiting until Saturday. Everyone can guess all they want, but nothing I've read or seen makes me feel any stronger about his decision one way or another. I hope he comes here and I'm glad that the wait will be over Wednesday.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

the fact that he's moving his announcement up to Wednesday means absolutely squat. do we have any more conspiracy theories out there? doesn't really matter what happens, it's not Feb. and anything can change by then. we are fine at qb. not to worry

BasketVols writes:

On the topic of quarterbacks, if Kiffin really didn't vote for "you know who" as the First Team SEC Pre-Season Quarterback, it's just funny. But, I think it was probably Houston Nutt. Jevan Snead is 1-0 versus El Teblow.

Who do you think it was?

GeneralSherman writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Well said!!

transplantiam writes:

Wonder who Coach K. is taking to SEC Media Days? As I understand it, each team can bring along one of their players. Maybe Berry? He could let Scroggins kinda tag along and show him a good time, after Scroggins commits to UT on Wednesday, the opening day of media days!! It's a good dream, and we're all allowed to dream, huh!!

Bufforange00 writes:

UT won't live or die with Scroggins decision. Heck, he may be another Brent Schaefer. Its a numbers game, and Kiff will make sure our needs are filled, via HS or JUCO route. Scroggins is just another in a long line of must-haves but UT will be fine regardless of which way this kid goes.

Perfektion_87 writes:

He will be a VOL!!!

VolunteerMan writes:

in response to vol_chaz:

Grayson can't play at this level. He'd be coming to K-town to get a degree and take part in the luxuries that come with being a UT QB. If we offer, it would be the first move by the new regime I don't fully support.

chrisw2967 writes:

I think Scroggins will be a Trojan and it will not surprise me.If he picks the Vols then I will be all for it but people dont need to get all worked up over this if we dont land him.He can come here and start his freshmen year and be a part of a team or he can go to USC and be a part of the practice team for 2 or 3 years.Pete isnt going to stop recruiting QBs if they do land Scroggins.

makessense writes:

HE WILL BE A VOL
I HAVE THE INSIDE SCOOP ITS A DONE DEAL
SO RELAX EVERYONE
BE HAPPY AND LETS GO GET HIM A LINE

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to chad_t31:

I understand the point perfectly, bud. I just don't see it as being a big deal when he is not even a high school senior yet. There is nothing wrong with the kid announcing at the elite 11 camp either. Announcing at the camp will help bring publicity to whatever school he chooses (again hopefully UT) so its not a bad move on his part. Not to mention I think moving the date up is being less dramatic with it since I think it shows he wants to get it over with. So I still think its unfair to get on his case about moving the dates around and being "dramatic." Let him have some fun with it. Don't get too eaten up with your lack of a life that you get upset about a decision someone is making in their own.

Seahawk writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

UT didn't overlook him. They offerd him early on and he committed to Bama soon after.

rockytopatl writes:

This scribe says to forget the denials: he thinks Meyer will leave Florida after this year. He cites past similar lies told by the Urban Legend:

cloudodust writes:

Which came first : The highly touted QB or a stable of outstanding WR's..?

All4Tennessee writes:

If we get Scroggins, this will pump new life into our 2010 recruiting. If he goes elsewhere, we'll be fine. At some point we'll find our next great QB.. It will just take time. Everything else seems to be falling into place.

BTW... All you folks who bash KNS for the articles they write should quit coming to this site. If you don't like the articles then go find what you're looking for somewhere else.

CheckerboardPhilosopher writes:

Everybody, we're really working hard on a series over at 3rd Saturday in Blogtober, counting down the top 50 Vols off all-time. Please come over and tell us what you think.

give_him_6 writes:

My heart says he's coming to UT. But my head says USC. To close to home and Pete Carrol probably told him what he wanted to hear to get him to sign. However, UT has the strongest tool to offer a QB...PLAYING TIME. Cross your fingers boys and girls cause this one will go down to the wire.

Go Vols

tigervol77 writes:

Are we going to get a QB or not????

chad_t31 writes:

in response to ArealVolFan:

It's called opinions, bud. If you don't like mine, don't read them. Not having a life? You mean like being on here at 2 in the morning?! Dumbazz.

volsfan1076 writes:

I kind of hope he picks USC because I am not sold on him. I'm sure he will since USC is 20 miles from his home. I'd rather see the Vols make a strong push for Jake Heaps, Blake Bell, or Phillip Sims and see if 1 of those 3 would decommit and commit to the Vols.

chad_t31 writes:

in response to ArealVolFan:

And another thing, if you're naive enough to think USC needs the publicity of scroggins' decision, you need to wake up. They've proved they can get who they want when they want. In my first post, I said that either way be chooses would be fine with me...wow, I was really hard on him. The fact of the matter is, the kid has known for awhile where he is going. Delaying the decision would only seem to benefit one school, us. I just don't see him coming here. I'm not here to argue, especially with so-called vol fans. It's an opinionated topic, although that gives you no right to say someone has no life simply because they disagree with the timing of a recruit's announcement.

VolFanNC writes:

I was pretty sure he would go to USC, but really have no clue now. Their depth chart is pretty scary and if he goes to USC, I don't see him ever playing QB. The real question is does he realize this?

bigorange101582 writes:

If I remember correctly, I read a while back that his dad really wanted him to go to USC. Scroggins has moved his announcement up to Wednesday so his dad can be present. If this is the case then I am sure it is USC.

volboy81 writes:

in response to RCanaMoonPie:

lets see...USC's record in the 90s...UT's record in the 90s...USC was all but forgotten til Carroll dropped in. Cycles, my friend, cycles....The Vols will be back, Scroggins or not. I hope we get him, but we've survived 115 years without him...we'll survive 115 more.

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to RCanaMoonPie:

or...
hold a clipboard for four years like the Arkansas transfer and never be heard of again

or...
gradually work into the system like Tyrell Pryor(who played some his Fr. year) at Ohio St. and develop into a solid SEC QB.

TommyJack writes:

Glad this board can give purpose to fake-gatorloper's lives. KNS should be commended for the public service.

TrouserCough writes:

You can win Jesse!

10cvolnga writes:

Don't think it's just a coincidence Scroggins changed his announcement day from Saturday to Wednesday. It's obvious he likes the limelight....and there will be a whole lot of limelight at SEC Media Days starting Wednesday! Would sure help deflect a lot of other non-sense garbage surrounding CLK. Let's go Jessee...the stage is all yours!!

PMC2726 writes:

It doesn't matter if Scroggins comes to UT or not. A lot of people will jump on that comment, but how many of those people knew who Tee Martin was before his senior year? Bob Davies said Casey Clausen wasn't good enough to play at Notre Dame -- ooops. In college, it's about having a QB who is consistent and doesn't lose games on big plays. I don't need or want a big name. I want a smart, consistent, winner/fighter.

gatorhator5033 writes:

Oh Man, It's my hero GatorBait!!!

The Year 2009, remember ole Fish Bait. It will be your last for a while.

Florida Football History:

Circa 2009

"Florida remembers the past before Meyer left for ND and Tebow left for bench sitting career in NFL worshiping Peyton Manning. The year of Florida's last great defense. Floria's last title run..........CIRCA 2010

Read this in a couple years....Oh I forgot you guys know this is coming.

I'll look for you next year when things start to change in this game.........Oh you guys know this too.

Ya'll be careful down there in the sunshine state: Lookout here come the Hurricane's behind you and Florida State about to begin a new era...Man the gators about to have their back drilled against the wall......and man the VOLS sure are beginning to crank things up this year in K'Town....

Man, you folks have somethings to worry about down there it seems, WOW.

Make sure you tell Urbie good bye this year, OK.

Can you spell ZOOK!

mtvols writes:

I think he picks USC, then Lamison will be officially announced as coming to UT for this year. Then I think, we make another run at Brunetti and try to get him to change his commitment from West Virginia.

rmw21273 writes:

I believe that if we don't land Scroggins, CLK has something up his sleeve. Look at what the staff pulled off in just 2 months. They will land someone by signing day that will carry this offense, they know they're doomed otherwise!! It may just take these young quarterbacks seeing what they have done with Crompton, because everyone knows he needed improvement!!!

dvols writes:

jim bob gave jesse a call to fill him in on how we do it!

TSNSD4UT writes:

in response to dvols:

jim bob gave jesse a call to fill him in on how we do it!

Jim Bob could let him know clipboard holding is not where its at.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to PMC2726:

Agreed,
I'll take a Casey Clausen, Tee Martin or Andy Kelly any day. John Parker Jingleheimer schmidt Wilson wasn't great, just didn't get you beat. Turn Bryce, Oku, Hardesty and Poole loose. Control the ball and give them a full Monte on defense!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOW THAT'S FOOTBALL
TXVOLSFAN

tdtnsee writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

U r an idiot. Hey let's all make fun of a prospect before he announces if will be playing here or not. If he chooses the Vols wed. You will be the first one to be on here talking about how great this kid is and so on and so on. Like I said before at least wait until he signs his LOI and we know where he's going before you make fun of a kid. You don't know who reads these sites. JMHO!!!!! GO VOLS!!!!!!