Selby de-commits from UT

UT's Jones: 'Something smells, right now'

Former Tennessee basketball commitment Josh Selby changed his phone number, his choice of schools and could very well change his brand of shoes this week.

Selby, the No. 2-rated point guard in the nation according to Rivals, informed the Vols’ coaching staff late Saturday night that he’s no longer committed to UT.

Selby, who has transferred from DeMatha High School in Hyattsville, Md., to Baltimore’s Lake Clifton High School, is expected to play AAU basketball in Las Vegas this week.

The three tournaments taking place in Las Vegas are The Reebok Shootout, the adidas 64 and the Nike Main Event. Selby’s choice of tournaments could offer a strong suggestion where he might end up playing college basketball.

Jordan McRae, who remains the Vols’ only Class of 2010 commitment, said Selby called him before posting news of his de-commitment on his Facebook page.

“He called me and told me and I was surprised,’’ said McRae, a 6-foot-6 shooting guard who committed to UT the same September weekend as Selby. “I asked him why and tried to talk him into staying, but his mind was already made up.’’

UT coach Bruce Pearl, reached via e-mail Sunday in Israel where he is coaching the U.S. team in the World Maccabiah Games, said the Vols will continue to recruit Selby. Pearl is not allowed to comment on the specifics of any unsigned prospect.

There has been a great deal of speculation among recruiting enthusiasts over the past 24 hours that Selby started to consider other options after attending LeBron James Nike skills camp in Cleveland, Ohio, the second week of July.

UT associate head coach Tony Jones and Vols’ assistant Steve Forbes attended the heavily scouted “Kings City Classic,’’ the tournament portion of the Nike camp.

“I’m not going to comment on any specific player, because I am not allowed to do that,’’ Jones said. “I’ll just say something smells right now.’’

Kentucky, a school with a Nike contract and John Calipari as head coach, has already landed the No. 1 and No. 2 rated players in the Class of 2009. Calipari, who enjoyed a strong relationship with Nike at Memphis, is believed to be involved in Selby’s recruitment. Tennessee’s contract is with adidas.

The Vols’ coaching staff, sans Pearl, will be in Las Vegas this week watching the top prospects.

Pearl is expected back in the U.S. on July 23, at which point he will go on the road recruiting through July 31.

Selby is the second player to de-commit from UT in the class of 2010, joining Aaron Craft, a point guard out of Findlay, Ohio.

Craft, rated No. 105 overall, has since made a verbal commitment to Ohio State.

The Vols are expected to have a full complement of five scholarships to offer in the Class of 2010.

Other point guards UT is believed to be interested in:

- Vander Blue, a 6-3 prospect out of Madison (Wisc.) Memorial who is rated No. 31 overall and recently de-committed from Wisconsin,

- Ray McCallum, a 6-1 player who’s the No. 46 overall rated player out of Detroit Country Day,

- Trae Golden, a 6-1 guard from McEachern High in Powder Springs, Ga., who is No. 74 overall,

- Andre Stringer, a 5-9 guard out of Forest Hills High School in Jackson, Miss., who is No. 94, and,

- Trevor Releford, No. 150 on Rivals Top 150 list, out of Shawnee Mission, Kan.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

DennisVols writes:

Ouch

bugman (Inactive) writes:

see ya

brokebackvol writes:

Not a big surprise considering its DeMatha - MD is very much ACC country, as well as the Big East. The SEC is down in basketball, so a hot recruit like that probably is better off personally going elsewhere. Sad to lose him, but wish him well elsewhere.

Hounddog writes:

Let's play football. Hounddog

utvolz#637682 writes:

If you don't want us, we don't want you either. How's that hotrod?

2001_Volunteer writes:

Later

utvolz#637682 writes:

And didn't have the ballz to do it while Pearl was in country, had to wait for his trip to Israel? Classless!

jimr07 writes:

sorry who is josh selby?

cc623 writes:

I agree with the "if you don't want us we don't want you" statement and I also found it classless to do it on an internet communication site instead of in person.It makes you wonder who exactly influences these kids or exactly who put their morals in place...

golfballs03 writes:

It's because UT isn't with Nike. The corporates got to him at the LeBron camp. So crooked

1vavolfan writes:

I'll be the first to address the 500 lb elephant sitting in the corner. This is the most important month in recruiting and our coach is in Israel. I'm a Pearl fan but I don't think this was appropriate. If Pearl is going to be our coach then he needs to be 100% committed to Tennessee. Our recruting class for next year is now non existent, remember the Craft kid decommited in May.

OakyVol09 writes:

This hurts, UT planned 2 years of recruiting around this guy. Hope we get Mr. Jackson.

the_1_don#407478 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

We don't really have scholarships to give bone head! And, I might add, this was a strong commit for weeks!

the_1_don#407478 writes:

Basketball players just simply don't decommit! Basketball has never been the excitement or drama that is college football.

FLAVOLS writes:

It may have to do with Nike az well.

Ironcity writes:

Somebody (Calipari) has offered a bigger contract. This is a disappointment but with a loss comes an opportunity for another point guard to really come in and make this team his.

TheREALFightSong writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

And have you seen Duke's recruiting classes of late? They've missed out on nearly all of the big-time recruits they were going after, especially John Wall. There's a reason Duke has consistently been losing to UNC and falling early in the tournament as of late, and I think it's all because of recruiting.

As for Selby, I had a feeling this might happen as well after Craft decommitted. And as far as I can tell from his interviews, Joe Jackson seems to be quite content in Memphis. This does not bode well at all for our recruiting future...

volfan2002 writes:

I like Releford. Hopefully we get him.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to the_1_don#407478:

The scholarship for Selby is for 2010-2011. Last time I checked we were losing Tyler, Chism, Prince, Tabb, and Maze after this season. WE have 1 commit now for 2010.Before you post you might want to know what you are talking about

1vavolfan writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

For the record, I am a big time Pearl fan.You have to look at this objectively, the Maccabi games or whatever is not exactly Team USA now is it.

Irwin_Linker writes:

I would put money on Selby committing to Kentucky. No real insight into it, only a guess.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

Yes it is a big blow to UT basketball, 2 out of 3 recruits decommit, but try telling it to the Kool aid drinkers on here

Weatherman writes:

Put Eric Berry in a point guard;)

FLAVOLS writes:

in response to itsme53792#1349745:

What an idiot! The UT - University of Tennessee was founded before Texas was even a State. Go back to Tiger High for more edumucation. Jackleg!

UTVolAlum writes:

NIKE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I_AmDumbAzz___I_MeanGaytorzz writes:

in response to itsme53792#1349745:

Haha, take a look at this kid. Says UT is in Austin, and then calls UT fans ignorant. The hypocrisy amuses me.

TommyJack writes:

I don't get the Nike bidness.

Slystone writes:

Lesson learned for Pearl. While you're coaching overseas on some meaningless US team, several elite coaches have been at several tournament games this summer. Memphis Coach Pastner was sited as being in South Carolina one night to see Will Barton and then the next morning in Memphis to watch Joe Jackson. Surprising no one mentioned or complained about Pearls absence at these Summer tourneys. What will be most embarassing is if Selby goes to UK or UM. UT needs a point guard and they just lost the best one they could have gotten. Also, Joe Jackson is not leaning to UT either. Remember recently when several recruits decided to attend the Memphis camp over UT's. Jaclson was one that mentioned UT was blowing his phone up wondering why he wasn't in Knoxville. Pearl should be on a plane right now trying to figure out this mess. Better hope no other recruits decommit. Oh well there is the JUCO route again.

trollhunter writes:

Several reports also show that NCAA investigators will be bolting to Kentucky after receiving word of Nike shoe deals and WWW involved in this developing story.

PrideOfTheSouthlandBand writes:

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but word is that he is a slasher pg/small 2g. Do we really need another slasher first of all and second we don't need another Bobby Maze. We need a Isiah Thomas, not an Allen Iverson. Iverson has never won a championship. We need a distributor. Someone that will lead the team in assists. A floor general. Right now we have too many chiefs and not enough indians. If we can get someone that is an excellent passer and that is it (preferred 3 point specialist too), then we have plenty of size and scoring. We will do amazing things.

Rick4UT writes:

That's the way the ball bounces.

GO VOLS !!!!!

chad_t31 writes:

in response to VolDog25:

He's no worse than anyone else we've ever had. In case you've missed it, we've never been known as a program that puts kids in the NBA. Elite basketball players are going to be found, regardless of where they go to school.

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

another glory ho that is all about himself.

BIGCHEVY3600 writes:

Sorry about your loss. See you in December.
GO TIGERS

go_vols_go writes:

sucks

lt4vols writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

It's for the best anyway......... we don't have a scolly for his Mama and even if we did, she'd cause too much trouble in the shower room...

volfaninwh writes:

wake up guys this sucks. our basketball team might not ever take it to the next level

dvols writes:

hmm, the mitch mustain of bball?

straightshooter writes:

I suspect he will wind up at Kentucky, else an upper tier ACC school. Calipari will likely rule the SEC like it's not been since the short Donovan domination which by the way, looks to be over for good. Basketball's top ten is about 80% recruiting the hotdogs. And if you don't get your share, forget about being at the front of the pack, its that simple. For that reason I have lost much interest in it. Only a handful of teams get enough to compete. Those being mostly North Carolina, Kansas, Conneticut, UCLA,Duke, and now Kentucky will join that list. Let's hope for an improved season of football. GO VOLS!

eduardo writes:

in response to lawyervol:

its idiots like you that put our bball team in the hopper for so many years! Go back to the courthouse and do some snake charming jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotrodvol writes:

in response to utvolz#637682:

If you don't want us, we don't want you either. How's that hotrod?

Sounds about right to me.

graphpro#231211 writes:

We've seen the best of Bruce Pearl. This is the the first step of the "Fulmeresk" slide to average or below average play. Oh well... it was fun to see Tennessee basketball #1 for 1 week.
I'm glad a meaningless tournament was more important than Tenn and the recruiting.

Ironcity writes:

in response to TheTarHeelsRuleBBall:

And you base this on what? Coach Pearl winning only about 100 games in 4 years? Coach Pearl getting UT to the NCAA's every year even though our program before his time rarely made it? The love that his players past and present show him? Ah yes you base it on coach Pearl not getting UT 25 wins last year with a team that had to replace 75% of its scoring the entire back court and six of its top 8 players. Idiots like you give North Carolina a bad name. By the way, I can assume that Coach Williams went right back to the final four the year after he lost the fab four? Oh thats right, that didn't happen. I guess you wanted him gone then.

GoldenWildcat33 writes:

I'm a Tiger fan first, then vol fan. There are several colleges that use the same abbreviated letters describing its school. When I hear UT I think of the Vols instead of the Longhorns. When I hear USC I think its the Trojans even though the Gamecocks consider themselves as the real USC. I believe the Tiger-Vols series will still be a good heated rival. When the Vols play Kentucky, that may be the only time you see a lot of Tiger fans rooting for the Vols. It will be more of the Vols against Calipari instead of Kentucky. Well we Tiger fans will be rooting for the Orange when they play Kentucky because that is the closest the Tigers will get a game against Kentucky unless we see them in the NCAA tournament because we know Calipari will not schedule the Tigers.

Slystone writes:

Bottom line is Selby is gone while Pearl was overseas. Several Elite Coaches have been following recruits over the summer as they play in different summer leagues. Where is Pearl? Looks like that new contract he duped Hamilton out of is really paying off. Folks the Vols just lost a High School All American. Vol Basketball will never make it to that elite class when that happens. And for someone to compare Selby to Maze is laugable in itself. So the question I have is who will Pearl focus on to replace the loss of Selby? Joe Jackson out of Memphis? Don't think so. I personally don't believe Pearl can't recruit the Memphis area! And if he brings in another JUCO to run the point Vol fans should call him out!

1vavolfan writes:

Lofton,Jujuan, and to some extent Bradshaw are the main reason for the hoops success the last few years.Pearl has ran off several of the players he recruited here (Ramar, Crews, Passley, MArques Johnson, Jurick), and of the others none of them progressed while they have been here.I am grateful for the enthusiasm and attention CBP has brought UT hoops but I am very worried about the future of the program.

Slystone writes:

Marc_Ash not so sure Kenlucky has dibbs on Selby. I hear that UConn and Kansas will be in the running for Selby. Memphis is more focus on Joe Jackson so the angle of Selby wanting to play with his cousins the Bartons I don't believe holds any validity. Anyway if they had wanted to play together as someone said the Bartons could have came to UT. Also if Scroggins commits to USC then we better get the paramedics out in full force cause the suicide watch will be on,lol.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to Slystone:

Selby will either play at Kentucky or Memphis according to my husband, whom has known for some time that Selby would not play at UT!
I am starting to believe my husband and his friends when they say Pearl came into the SEC at the right time and basically won the lottery.

trollhunter writes:

The person that goes by the name of MorristownVOL,

YOU ARE NOT A VOL FAN, YOU ARE A MEMPHIS TIGER FAN!!!! TAKE YOUR MASK AND REVEAL WHO YOU REALLY ARE!!!

PRETEND A VOLS FAN, I AM WATCHING YOU, AND YOU GUYS KNOW WHO YOU ARE. MY COUSIN GAVE ME THE BLACKLIST SO WHEN YOU SHOWUP, I'LL BE THERE WAITING.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to trollhunter:

The person that goes by the name of MorristownVOL,

Little boy, run on to bed!