Kiffin likes what he sees in Brown

Bryce Brown

Photo by Jaime Oppenheimer/The Wichita Ea

Bryce Brown

Kiffin on his dedicated staff and student athletes

Freshman running back Bryce Brown has already passed one test in his transition from high school to college football. He has passed the eye test.

“When you walk by Bryce and (see) his presence, he looks like the real deal,” UT head coach Lane Kiffin said at Tuesday’s media conference. “He’s 218 pounds right now and he looks like a guy who has been in the NFL for a few years.

“Bryce is built up so well. He’s got that superstar walk and presence to him. There’s a lot to that.”

Brown, of Wichita, Kan., was the prize signee in Kiffin’s first UT recruiting. He’s also expected to have an immediate impact on a running game that foundered last season.

As a running back, Brown demonstrated size, speed and elusiveness at the high school level. He was a consensus pick as the No. 1 running back in the country.

Kiffin talked as much about Brown’s intangible assets Tuesday.

“I think, through recruiting, people got the wrong image of him,” Kiffin said. “When you spend time with him, as you guys will, I think you’re gonna love him.

“I think you’re going to see that’s he’s a very special guy. For one, he’s a great student. I think he was a 3.7 GPA, graduated early and is very serious about doing things right.”

Brown’s dedication extends to his diet as well, according to Kiffin.

“He’s a vegetarian,” Kiffin said. “He ate a steak the other day, for the first time ever, at Coach (Eddie) Gran’s house. He’s very serious and very focused about being great.”

Kiffin knows what a great running back can do for an offense. He coached Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush at Southern California.

“Every call is not going to be great,” Kiffin said. “You see it on film all the time. They don’t block the Will linebacker because they’re overloaded to that side, they make the right call up front, and the (running back) is sitting there for a 2-yard loss. The guy then spins out and makes 10 yards, and everybody thinks it was a great play call.”

Even bigger plays occur when the right call meets the right running back.

“When you get a great back, those 10- and 12-yard runs become 60-yard runs,” Kiffin said. “When you block it right, there’s one guy sitting back there, the free safety. One guy is going to get tackled after 10 yards. One guy is going for a 60-yard touchdown.”

“It’s so critical to have a superstar back. And I hope we do.”

Sports editor John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

Brown going downtown for touchdown.....sorry....had too.

RPWhite writes:

Good article. Somewhere around first!

beachvol writes:

It's "Bryce", not "Brice". 3rd paragraph.

I'm excited about Mr. Brown more than any back we've had since Travis "Dad x 9" Henry.

hotrodvol writes:

He is CLK's marquee player right off the bat. Good times are coming with B.Brown.

huntined#565710 writes:

Saw Brown's films today and he looked fast and strong. He should bring that take it home type of runner this year'

CoachNeyland writes:

Go Vols!!!!

SLOBBER_knocker_U writes:

What can Brown do for you baby!!

46 MORE DAYS!!!

fivewides writes:

There's a potential nick...meat. Wonder if he got his first bowl of pudding?

golfballs03 writes:

Oh I can't wait to see this kid play

1974Vol writes:

Doubt we'll have to wait for Georgia game for his debut like CPF made us wait for Jemal Lewis

OrangeCrush writes:

Does anyone know, but will the incoming freshmen be able to talk to the media under CLK?

GahLee writes:

I think that they will be able to talk to the media...Kiffin is smart, he will coach those guys on what to say and how to say it...most of these guys love the spotlight and want to be able to put thier face out there...by the sound of things Bryce will be giving Hardesty a run for his money...Go Vols!!!

givehim6 writes:

I do hope UT gets a great QB this year, but our great running game is the reason I'm not real worried if we do not, I am concerned a bit adout the O line being able to open up running lanes. If our O line gels with Brown and Ouk plus the experencs runners we already have, well this year many be fun! GO VOLS!

ColeTrickle writes:

Bryce's speed and cut-back ability is amazing for his size. I would hate to be a 175-185lb college safety trying to tackle him barelling down the feild! BB runs a sub 4.4 forty and weighs 218 lbs. if he starts eating steaks at Coach Grans house and keeps pounding the weights he might be as big as Jamal Lewis by the florida game.

tngivem6 writes:

In 3 years he could become the all time leading rusher in Vols History..
ahead of multi-dad Henry..

Youtee1 writes:

Let me go ahead and beat the 'lopers to the punch.....I hope it's not a violation that he ate a steak at a coach's house. :) GO VOLS!!!

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to Youtee1:

how would that be a violation? A coach has a player over to his house to meet his family and feeds him dinner. somehow I would think coach Gran knows the NCAA rules and BB IS a player on the team, not a recruit.

Hunter writes:

I hope he can run through 9 men in the box unless we strike gold with one of these unknown QB's!

I_AmDumbAzz___I_MeanGaytorzz writes:

in response to ColeTrickle:

You obviously missed the jovial connotation in the post.

Some people on here need to learn how to decipher jokes and comments. Deciphering shares common ground with a thing called common sense..

bluetick writes:

Brown is from KANSAS, the heartland of great beef and doesn't eat steaks??? Almost unbelievable! I think I will have a Ribeye Caesar salad tonight.

DennisVols writes:

As the Great John Ward once said "I think he going to run all the way to the stae capital"

VolVegas writes:

in response to 1974Vol:

Agree..It will not take but a few series against Western Kentucky, I think, before we see him play.

Phowell23 writes:

Ouch, 218 lbs? Can't wait to unleash this guy very soon and see what he can do.

Waldorf writes:

Sounds like Brown may be starting against WKU.

I'm sure he would have seen the field with Foolmore after we were about 2-6 and had finally gotten down 100% of the offense.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Youtee1:

Depends on the steak.

14 ounce filet - secondary violation
6 ounce flank - no problem

Volsfan1984 writes:

I will have to agree with the whole eye test. I saw this kid the other day and can't wait to see what he can do on the field. He looks every bit the part.

buxavol writes:

If we can't pass at least somewhat effectively, we could have Jim Brown & Walter Payton in the backfield & it wouldn't make much difference. UF returns 21 of their 22, 2-deep depth chart on what was a very good 2008 defense. Eight, 9, 10 in the box is what we'll see unless Crompton can keep people at least somewhat honest.
I'm excited about who we have, and Hardesty, Brown, Oku & Co., may perform well this fall. If so, they'll do so because of an effective-not necessarily great-passing attack.

chaos001 writes:

in response to h8ag8r:

not really. gladiators during roman times and present day sumo wrestlers were/are almost strictly vegetarian.

LdyVolFaninKS writes:

Funny...I remember when he first announced that he was coming to UT for a second visit. There were all the issues revolving around his "manager" and you all said he sounded like nothing but trouble. Now that UT has him and he is the "real deal" you all talk about him like he will be the saving grace of UT football. What will be said after he fumbles for the first time...on or off the field?

StroVol writes:

Is Scroggins supposed to announce tomorrow? I thought is was Friday the 25th

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to ColeTrickle:

are you old enuff to remember what Herschel Walker did to Bill Bates back many yrs. ago?? Hope to see a lot of that this yr, with Brown being Herschel.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to buxavol:

don't think it will matter against Fla. they have a defense that the Colts would enjoy having. the rest of the league better watch out though. would still take 8-4 record.

vols4ever93 writes:

What can Brown do for you?

DA4BigOrange writes:

What can Brown do for you?

sizeDD writes:

He's to the 10, five four three two one, touchdown Bryce Brown Wichita Kansas GIVE HIM SIX! TD BIG ORANGE!

I miss the greatness of John Ward.

1stBaseHelton writes:

Scroggins is not announcing til 3pm Thursday.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to StroVol:

Is Scroggins supposed to announce tomorrow? I thought is was Friday the 25th

It got moved up to Wednesday, 22nd. Originally it was set for Saturday, 25th.

1stBaseHelton writes:

He was just on his myspace page and changed the date and time.

1974Vol writes:

in response to buxavol:

To get that many in the box you have to leave the middle open and have man coverage on the corners. I know based on last year its hard to see the advantage in that, but put 9 in the box against this "O" and watch one of our WR's catch a 5 yard slant and take it to the house.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to DennisVols:

"Willie Gault, ladies and gentlemen, is running ALL THE WAY to the state capital!"

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

1manningfan writes:

Is it me or is this the first time you guys have seen Coach Kiffin in a orange Tennessee shirt. It's good to see finally see sport the orange shirt. Not that white or black shirts are bad, its's just i haven't seen him in orange yet, lol.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Very interesting. Good link, marc.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Depends on the steak.

14 ounce filet - secondary violation
6 ounce flank - no problem

Heh heh! What's the penalty for pork rinds?

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Gosh, I haven't been this excited since we hired Coach Clawson.

Can't wait to hear how one of the coaches blows off Silve's order of no trash talking. It's gotta happen when all the coaches are in the same place.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to buxavol:

On the other hand, having a bull like Brown running the ball might cause a defense to stack the line, opening up the passing game.

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to I_AmDumbAzz___I_MeanGaytorzz:

You obviously missed the jovial connotation in the post.

obviously it got a huge laugh out of everyone. keep your joking or jovial connotation as you put it to yourself. dork.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DennisVols:

What he actually said was,that gentleman is running all the way to the state capital.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Sounds like Brown may be starting against WKU.

Don't you think it is about time to stfu?

MarbleVol48 writes:

in response to buxavol:

buxavol - You are correct. UF returns 21 of 22 starters and have good depth beyond that, buttt
Pretty boy Meyer continously reminds everyone, including his players that they are a one player show w/ timmy tebow (Speech at entrance to stadium).. If the outstanding (other) 20 players ever get fed up with being ignored... Who knows? Maybe implosion !!!

buxavol writes:

in response to 1974Vol:

Who's going to get the ball to our WR's? Sounds like many here have more faith in Crompton than do I. I hope you're right, that would be a pleasant surprise!
Crompton's proven nothing, except for his penchant for throwing it to a non-orange & white jersey, since he's been on the hill. There's a reason Cutcliffe favored Coleman over Crompton-we saw it last year.
Again, I hope I'm wrong. If Crompton lives up to his billing coming out of high school, we'll all be happy campers!! But he'll have to show this Vol fan, before I'll believe it...