Kiffin says he voted for Tebow

Kiffin: 'I don't talk (to QBs) about last year'

Coach likens Crompton's '08 season to a ...

Tim Tebow

Photo by AP photo

Tim Tebow

If you are still wondering which SEC football coach didn’t vote Tim Tebow first-team all-SEC, you can cross Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin off your list of suspects.

Tebow won the 2007 Heisman Trophy and has helped Florida win two national championships. But he wasn’t a unanimous selection on the coaches preseason All-SEC team, which was announced last week.

When asked about his vote at Tuesday’s media conference, UT’s first-year coach said he did vote for Tebow. He also endorsed Tebow as a future NFL quarterback.

“I recruited (Tebow) out of high school,” said Kiffin, who was then an assistant coach at Southern California. “I spent the whole weekend with Tim (and his family). It’s a real special family, and he’s a real special kid.

“I knew back then that no matter where he went, he would win a ton of games just because of his presence. He has a superstar presence and a confidence about him.”

Kiffin believes Tebow’s talents will carry over into the NFL, despite what some critics have said.

“I remember being there at Nease High School watching him, and some other coaches being there,” said Kiffin, who was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders. “I talked to some people when he was at the Elite 11 (quarterbacks camp). I loved him on film.

“(Others said) ‘I don’t know, his motion is a little bit funny. He’s good in high school, but he’ll probably have to play fullback (in college).’

UT football head coach Lane Kiffin

Photo by David Luttrell

UT football head coach Lane Kiffin

“I said, ‘I don’t know what you guys see, but I think he’s great.’ Does he throw a perfect spiral all the time? No. But so what. A lot of great ones don’t.

“The guy’s a winner. I read where someone says he’s potentially the greatest college player ever. If he does it again this year, that’s probably the right statement.”

“I think he will be a great NFL quarterback.”

Kiffin is aware that others won’t concur with his NFL assessment of Tebow.

“I’m sure there will be nine million articles written about how he can’t play quarterback in the NFL,” Kiffin said. “And he’ll go there and win a Super Bowl.”

Sports editor John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jmillran writes:

I'm sure the gators are all gonna say that Kiffin only said this so that Meyer & Co. will take it easy on the Vols in the Swamp. BTW...FIRST!!!

VOLinNYC writes:

If it wasn't Kiffin who didn't vote for Tebow, then who do you all think it could have been?

dirty_don writes:

spurrier

jmillran writes:

in response to VOLinNYC:

Houston Nutt trying to get Snead in the picture?

dirty_don writes:

or bear bryant

dirty_don writes:

since they are in bama he still gets a vote

chargervol writes:

I think Lane meant what he said about Tebow. He tried to get him to go to U.S.C.. He watched alot of film on the guy and was impressed. Tebow doesn't throw the ball well everytime, but he still manages games well. Like Kiffin said, he saw a winner. I don't think he would have tried to get Tebow to go to U.S.C. if he didn't think he could win. Here's a question, what would U.S.C. have been like with Tebow running that show? I am glad its his last year. GO VOLS!!!

olozbal#646632 writes:

Good call Kiffin. He's learning isn't he guys?

By the way, it was Spurrier.

dirty_don writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

Now that's funny. LCHS class of '80

VOLinNYC writes:

seventysevenvol writes:

in response to jmillran:

Houston Nutt trying to get Snead in the picture?

That's the word out of the sports department at the Commercial Appeal in Memphis...

Bigger_Al writes:

People really care about this?

just4utk writes:

I think Meyer is the one that didn't vote for TT.

Bryce4Heisman writes:

You can't vote for players on your own team so it hasn't Nutt.

jmillran writes:

in response to Bryce4Heisman:

You can't vote for players on your own team so it hasn't Nutt.

Maybe he voted for Stafford to take a vote away from Tebow? Was this for last season or Pre-this season?

Volunatic writes:

in response to jmillran:

Houston Nutt trying to get Snead in the picture?

Coaches can't vote for their own players, so Nutt couldn't pick Snead.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Bryce4Heisman:

You can't vote for players on your own team so it hasn't Nutt.

What KiffinBrown08 said...

jmillran writes:

Does anybody else wanna tell me that coaches can't vote for their own players? I don't think I completely understand yet.

TommyJack writes:

My guess is Mark Richt. Which is his right. Blaming CLK is just more fun for the press.

tdforvols writes:

Maybe who ever did it actually didn't think Tebow was the best SEC quarterback (and that was their only motive). Oh...the outrage!

UTVol39 writes:

in response to jmillran:

Considering the fact a coach can't vote for their own player has been posted on this site no less than 1,000 times prior to your comment...maybe people thought it would take multiple times before you grasped the subject.

Pay attention people.

UTVol39 writes:

in response to BadNewsCafego:

I assume either the coach abstains from voting on that particular position, or his vote is excluded when determining whether the selection is unanimous. Probably the latter.

UTVol39 writes:

in response to tdforvols:

Oh the horror. You mean to tell me that a coach might have a different opinion in this completely subjective vote? How is that possible?

I agree with you. It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities that a coach simply thought another athlete was a better QUARTERBACK. Not that they don't think Tebow is the best PLAYER/ATHLETE, just that he isn't the best QUARTERBACK (there is a difference). Staying true to the position of QB, it's possible someone though Snead or someone else was a better pick.

voloffaith writes:

in response to LawCoVol:

SUGGEST REMOVAL!! OFF TOPIC for one. Two it is DEFAMATORY and CRUDE! I 'll let the spelling police help you spell unconvincing better.

On topic, I believe Houston Nutt as I said the other day. If it ain't him I would venture the 'visor' man in garnet and black as my second choice. Goodday gents.....

dma38256#264746 writes:

No question about it....Tebow should be there.

UTVol39 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Get a life dude. It was hilarious.

4EST writes:

So does anybody else realize what Kiffin said here...??

He couldnt recruit the QB of his choice at USC either!

He wanted Timmy TEBAG...but when it came down to it..he lost him to another team....sounds alot like what has happened lately. :-(

UTVol39 writes:

in response to DestinVol:

To preface, I have no real knowledge of how it works, other than you can't vote for your own player. So my first assumption works like this:

In the case of Eric Berry, Coach Kiffin knows Berry is the best at his position, but also knows he cannot vote for his own player. So instead of voting for another player he doesn't really believe is the best, he simply doesn't vote for anyone in that position.

Like I said, just one of the possibilities I was thinking of. More than likely, though, it's that the coaches vote is excluded if every other coach votes for one of his players.

What are your thoughts?

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Who gives a hoot!

Rockford writes:

I think it was Les Miles. Sleeper pick! We'll probably never know though so WHO CARES.

voloffaith writes:

in response to UTVol39:

Get a life dude. It was hilarious.

I have a life sir. It is a great life and enjoyed ,but not at the expense of others. I try not to denigrate others by trashy(might be ok culturally) humor. Oh btw, it wasn't hilarious as you say. Yet you are entitled to your opinion as such.

On topic,who is the mysterious coach who didn't vote for Mr. Tebow?

I will briefly respon to majicman's comment that Tebow did not go to USC and coach Kiffin. Let,s see Tebow lives in Florida and USC is in California right? Do you think he might have grown up a gator fan moreso than a trojan fan? Family would have to travel more and incur greater costs going to which school to see their son play? For the record family is very important to the Tebow's. So I believe it wasn't so much that coach Kiffin couldn't get his man for qb, but rather these other variables played a larger role. Goodday gents....

UTVol39 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

On topic,who is the mysterious coach who didn't vote for Mr. Tebow?

ColeTrickle writes:

maybe Nutt voted for Snead...just kidding lol. I think Nutt voted for someone other than Tebow since he couldnt vote for Snead or Jessica Parker Wilson...maybe he voted for Jon Crompton??? what was his motive in this crazy conspiracy???

UTVol39 writes:

in response to DCFloridaGator:

Maybe someone is harboring a grudge against Mr. Tebow. Maybe one of the coaches wife asked for a pair of Tebow panties and he got mad and his way of getting back at him was to not vote for him. Who knows?? I understand it's difficult for you to comprehend that some people out there may not have the same obsession with Tim Tebow that FU I mean UF fans have.

paradisetaxi writes:

Tebow has done more to help his team win games than anyone i can think of..all these sports fans on here dont know awesome talent when they see it ...thats too bad..but then again some just like to show how stupid they are...tennessee fan for 44 yrs !

Ironcity writes:

in response to gatorbait65:

I am surprised you guys haven't figured it out. Coach Saban hates Meyer, his program doesn't play UF this year so he is picking someone from the West (Snead). It will come out soon enough.

99gator writes:

UTVol39 writes:

in response to DestinVol:

It would be read Good Day Gents. If it was meant to be the Australian form it would be G'Day. Homeslice. Also it would not say Gents. That's English.

UTVol39 writes:

in response to DestinVol:

What the heck does "work on your American form mean?"

dirty_don writes:

The Bear's a nerd

Waldorf writes:

It was probably Bobby Johnson. He's sitting in Nashville just laughing about it.

gotvols writes:

Okay, Tebow is obviously the best all around athelete I have ever seen. He not only has the tools, but he also has the passion and desire to be great. He is a great motivator and inspires those around him and is a great role model; however, I don't think he is the best quarterback. He is a running back, but even so, how could you not put him in charge. A quarterback does not have to be a great quarterback, but he does have to be a great leader to get the most out of those around him.

tdtnsee writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Grew up in halls ? What year did u graduate from halls?

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

CLK said the right thing about TT. He's a leader, and a winner. After this season, he'll probably take over my #1 college player (Hershal Walker), and thats saying something. Hopefully UT will recruit a future player with his leadership, and talent. I'm no UF fan, but the truth is the truth.

GO VOLS!!

huntined#565710 writes:

Right off the bat everyone was sure it was coach Kiff...GOT TO THINK OLE BALL COACH KNEW THAT AND DIDN'T VOTE FOR TEBOW.. But the coach that didn't vote for him don't need to be a coach. They have got to know that he is the best Q.B. in the SEC period.. Just hard to believe that a coach would hate a player or program that much when they know the player deserves the award.

KevinMark writes:

in response to dirty_don:

spurrier

I think that's a pretty darn good guess.

1stBaseHelton writes:

Well Scroggins is not announcing til 3pm Thurs. now.

pammyvol1000 writes:

Greatest college player ever? I disagree!! He is a great QB but the best.. NOT!

BasketVols writes:

in response to 1stBaseHelton:

Well Scroggins is not announcing til 3pm Thurs. now.

Where did you hear that?

volball7222 writes:

See.........I told you Coach K was not perfect.