Slive getting tougher with secondary violations

HOOVER, Ala. - SEC commissioner Mike Slive delivered his annual "brag bag," Wednesday afternoon to open another SEC Football Media Days. But after extolling the conference's success in the previous year - including a national championship or runner-up finish in 11 of 20 sponsored sports - he spent a significant time talking about compliance.

Specifically, those pesky secondary violations.

An increasingly hot topic this offseason in large part because of new Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin, secondary violations made an appearance during Slive's opening comments.

Mike Slive, SEC commissioner

While acknowledging that secondary violations are a fact of life when dealing with the NCAA's sizable rules manual, Slive went on to say that not all secondary violations will be treated the same by the SEC office.

"There are other secondary violations which are more serious, especially in the area of recruiting," Slive said. "A key aspect of our review of secondaries is to determine if there's a pattern beginning to emerge at an institution, within a sport or around a particular individual, be it coach, administrator or prospect. When trends are detected, the penalties and corrective actions become more severe."

In fact, Slive told reporters he's already doled out some additional penalties to conference schools as a result of secondary violations.

Those measures include stripping an entire coaching staff from making recruiting calls for "an extended period of time" and limiting coaches from all off-campus recruiting activities. Slive also said an institution has been prevented from any recruiting contact with prospects for an extended period of time and teams have also lost practice opportunities.

"The way we had gotten our point across was by doing the kinds of things that I indicated earlier," Slive said. "Those things that I indicated earlier, we have done. Those were not hypotheticals."

Asked for more details on those punishments, Slive simply said, "They've been done."

It is unclear whether Tennessee received any of the additional sanctions from the SEC, however, since members of Tennessee's compliance staff could not be reached Wednesday afternoon through spokeswoman Tiffany Carpenter.

Tennessee has reported six secondary violations involving the football program since Kiffin took over in December, many of which made headlines around the country.

"We've had some secondary violations, but I don't believe it's been an inordinate amount," Kiffin told the News Sentinel last month. "They aren't deliberate, but unfortunately they happen."

Those secondary violations, combined with some verbal jabs between Kiffin and other league coaches, became a focal point during the SEC's spring meetings in Destin, Fla.

"I was concerned until we left Destin, but I'm comfortable that they understand now," Slive said. "And I thought that it was appropriate that I shared my thinking with all of you."

And while controversy - whether over coaches' comments or secondary violations - creates coverage, Slive said it's not always a good thing for the SEC.

"It's not a selling point, but people are interested in what our coaches, and what everybody does. The issue for me is that we don't wound ourselves," he said. "The only conference in my view that can stop the SEC from being successful is the Southeastern Conference. That's what I meant today when I said that we can't afford to wound ourselves. We've got to continue to take care of business, and do the right thing, and we'll be fine."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ALL_VOL75 writes:

suck it slive

jsm67vol writes:

How about reporting how many secondary violations each and every SEC school has instead of just how many UT has. 6 doesn't seem to be that many, but I'm sure Kiffin and Co. will work on it.

belayvol writes:

How do you know we are talking about TN. Drew? Maybe it is bama who has been Slived?

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Sounds to me like maybe Silve has had a hand in the QB recruiting process in Knoxville. Maybe this is why Brunetti and Rettig did not get UT offers any earlier in the year. I would hate to know that this slime ball is trying to shaft CLK and the VOLS.

wheatbarley writes:

What is this, NASCAR? If the commissioner makes a ruling, why would it not be available to every school in the conference? And if the SEC commissioner can make rulings that supersede the NCAA, then why the hell not make the SEC its own ruling body and ignore it and make it just like NASCAR? The last time I read something like this, Delta House just found out it had been on double secret probation.

surfmaster writes:

Slive has us in the crosshairs. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Slive hates our beloved vols with a passion. It all stems from when he was the C-USA commish and we had the issues from scheduling home and home with Mempiss in round ball. He never got over it. That is a fact. There has been a cloud hanging over UT ever since that weasel took over for Kramer. His support for the outback bowl after they shafted us, his "fine" on fulmer for skipping media days, now he has singled out LF to make an example out of, when other coaches have and are committing much more serious offenses. Slive is a first class, rat azz bastard and it will be a great day in Tennessee the day this dirtbag goes away.

stevefrommemphis writes:

I remember Slive saying he was going to move the Media Days out of Alabama after last year's debacle when the Alabama rednecks treated Phil Fulmer so rudely. Knoxville News Sentinel writers, please ask Slive why he has not kept his promise to move Media Days to a neutral location. Does Slime think we forgot?

Hounddog writes:

Let's play football. Hounddog

Volalumnus writes:

Slive is what does hold the SEC back.
The guy just isn't any good.

highVOLtage writes:

Why the secrecy from Slive? He brags about stopping the secondary violations, but clams up on the specifics. If he's in the right, why not put it all out on the table? I'm thinking that the SEC deserves a better commish.

volfan2002 writes:

Slive is the absolute worst and most biased commissioner the SEC has ever had. How we elected this douche bag to sit in judgement is far beyond my ability to reason. He has to go and soon. He is in love with Florida and he consistently kisses their a and does everything he can to see that have have favorite status.

txvolsfan writes:

Slive ain't going to hurt any of his programs after his $$$$$$ deal with ESPN and CBS
I love this phooey, he's not doin jack

TnScooby writes:

in response to rbrmoc:

CLK is young, no doubt, and growing pains will be part of the process...but so what? Don't concern yourself with CLK and don't pretend to speak for "conservative East Tennessee". LOL

RockinTop writes:

Until Slive shows some consistency in what he proclaims, I have no respect for him.

How about he does something about the viscious attacks that take place on visitors trying to watch a game in the swamp?

I met an older gentlemen the other day who's team isn't even in the SEC.....he went to a game just for the experience and opportunity. He told me for the first time ever he was in fear for his life.

THAT, Mr. Slive, is worthy of handing down punishment. How pathetic that you sweat the small stuff of coaches taking jabs at each other and yet totally ignore the safety of fan's LIVES.

rootin4volz writes:

Well golly gee whiz, that Mike Slive is one damn tough man, ain't he? Don't get caught with your hand in the cookie jar kids! You might just get that hand cut off with a machete!

PureOrange writes:

Slive is a lapdog for a few coaches in the league. He thinks he has to protect them so he throws his slurs at Coach Kiffen.

I say, get over it, Slive. We are certainly not too proud of you or your work.

Goodvol writes:

I would be very interested in knowing how the other schools have fared in the secondary violations department. I don't think you can hold all the coaches to the same standard in that new head coaches have a learning curve with respect to the rules while the older coaches should have a better handle on the rules. Kiffin and Chizek (sp?) should have some time to learn the rules.

the10sevol writes:

in response to wheatbarley:

i'd love to see the Tennessee group respond to commie slive on friday the way the deltas did, except march out of the proceedings whistling Rocky Top...
to your wheatbarley, i'd add some alfalfa...
GBO

atvolfan#654430 writes:

There's no way for him to enforce that. I bet the coaches just laughed in his face.

In other news, I'm glad I have a life and don't have to hang out on rival team sites. Good Night and Go Vols.

RJ_Vol writes:

Slive is a wussapotamus. Surfmaster 10:11, nice write-up. Hamilton needs to stand-up to the punk and mention last year's circus w/ the subpoena. Maybe we should subpoena Slive in some trumped up case, get him on the stand, and see what he knows about letting 'Bama off the hook. I'm ready for the wussapotamus to talk about the jail time the Gators are putting up. We need an AD willing to win the PR campaign...If we were sanctioned, take that rat to court and let's see if everyone was treated the same way.

BSweet writes:

So why doesn't Slime address other issues facing SEC teams, like, oh, I don't know, maybe off field issues with student athletes? Seems if your going to crack down on secondary violations because it's "the right thing", then you should address another team's legal problems. Doesn't that look bad on the SEC as well? Maybe favorites get a free pass. Meh, time for another commissioner IMO. Slime's biased agenda is transparent.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

*"# Slive you are a pice of garbage plain and simple.I will let the readers on a little secret.
Mark Richt and JAWJA had 13 secondary violations either last year or this year.I have never liked you or Slive if I could have my way you and Fulmer would have both been gone a few years ago.

I hate you Slive you hold the SEC back when you should let the NCAA do there job.How did this idiot get the job? What a moron!

BSweet writes:

And if the SEC is going to start handing out its own punishments, separate from the NCAA, what's the SEC punishment for Bama over the text book violation? Slime is a pathetic joke as commissioner. Could he be any more transparent? Anyone know what it would take to have Slime removed? Is it a majority vote by SEC schools or something?

spencer1989#206886 writes:

As long as every SEC school is treated in the same manner, then fine. But let's make sure ALL of them are recorded and reported. I think if all the facts were known, then some of those folks throwing stones would realize they live in glass houses.

HallowedHill writes:

Slive has to go. He lacks the ability, will and moral compass to fairly govern the SEC. Let him go back to chasing ambulances.

panties4tebow writes:

Time for the dummy to retire....

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

I love this phooey, he's not doin jack

txvols is right on the money here. Slive likes to play Patton and bark a bunch of gruff while wearing his commisioner sash like the mayor of Munchkin land. Even he has a boss and has to deliver the $ that only the schools can deliver.

scott_m99 writes:

The SEC league office needs to move to Atlanta. It's where we play our championship game and I'm certain that Atlanta is made up of fans from every school in the conference. I realize that Atlanta is close to Athens just like Birmingham is close to Alabama and Auburn, but atleast it is a major city that has a fair amount of representation for other schools.

GOVOLS123 writes:

I hate Mike Slive. He is a douche! He is up Florida's Foley and Urban Myer's A**. I guarantee it wasnt FL since they said the week before there could not be any media at Camps although FL did the very next week.

Also why would Slive hinder the SEC with a noncompetitive advantage. JUCO players must take an extra class to be able to play in the SEC. If I was a JUCO player id hold my middle finger up to the SEC because its hard enough for those players to pass class or they wouldnt be there in the first place. If they are good enough they will go to the league elsewhere.

Also why does the SEC have all these rules to make them look stupid. All these changes Slive and his puppet Foley do are awful. I just dont understand how it is good to automatically give your league a competitive disadvantage to EVERY other league. Slive will still get to keep his job just because he lined up the ESPN deal.

montanavolfan writes:

Albama is falling all over themselves cheating, and the one thing that this article can't wait to highlight is secondary violations of Lane Kiffin....
Florida players are waiting in line to get arrested, and Slime is worried about Lane's secondary violations. Guess we need to win more games so the Secondary Violations will stop..... Know what I mean.

hotrodvol writes:

Foley has Slive on a leash and he's barking our way.

UrbanCryer writes:

in response to Claudette:

why would the sec have media days in Miami?

Raynoch writes:

So the conference can hand out penalties that directly impact recruiting battles based on subjectively evaluating different secondary violations? That leaves a lot of room for preferential treatment and corruption. How about just fining the school or the coach who committed the violation. That seems easier.

richvol writes:

Slive is two things to me...an egomaniac and Florida's lap dog.

dvol writes:

Slive is out to get Kiffin and Tennessee. Better be careful Lane. This is Florida and Alabama's conference. Beating them on the field may be easier than off the field.

DaVols writes:

Slimey Slive... need we say more.

atvolfan#654430 writes:

Great point Bamaroid, doing things like using a smoke machine to wow recruits is much worse than free textbooks for athletes. Alabubba logic right there for you.