Kiffin says he, Slive 'on same page'

Secondary violations 'not done on purpose'

Coach Kiffin on the Vols' summer workouts

NASHVILLE - Lane Kiffin spent a few hours in Nashville on Thursday getting to know some fans and alumni.

A more pressing get-to-know-you session took place one week ago, however. That was when Kiffin sat down with SEC commissioner Mike Slive in Birmingham, Ala.

"I went down last Wednesday to meet with him over lunch to get to know him better," said Kiffin, the headliner at the Davidson County UT Alumni Chapter All-Sports Picnic at Lipscomb University's Allen Arena. "I think we're both on the same page."

One of the topics was the six secondary NCAA football violations Tennessee has reported since Kiffin, 34, took the job nearly eight months ago. The talk wasn't directed solely at UT, however. Other football programs with secondary violations in recent months include Ole Miss, Georgia and South Carolina.

"Any violation we created or committed was not done on purpose," Kiffin said. "We all make mistakes and there are different ways you look at things. Commissioner Slive, it's very important to him, the violations. He made a very strong statement."

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

TnScooby writes:

Very good visit by UT here in Nashville....makes me more excited for the season to start...Go Vols!!!!!

BasketVols writes:

Slive is good at one thing, gettin' the SEC a bunch of loot. Leave the Kiffer alone, Sliveball!

This is a great read about the Vols!

ZacharyUTK writes:

Kiffin is twice the media genius that Saban is. Probably going to be twice the coach, too.

FWBVol writes:

in response to BasketVols:

This is a great read about the Vols!

I refuse to give Slive any credit for getting the SEC money. Former commissioner Roy Kramer did a great job of starting the trend of getting big contracts for the league. But the fact is if SEC wasn't the best conference in the nation in football, basketball, women's basketball and baseball...especially football and men's basketball, the money wouldn't be coming in.

OldSmokey writes:

in response to BasketVols:

This is a great read about the Vols!

Thanks for the link. Was a good read.

dvols writes:

there is a kid in the state of tn that can throw a football and read coverage...im just sayin

go_vols2009 writes:

Slive has been stuck up Florida's rear end for years...

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to MagicMan:

You are still incredibly pathetic.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to ZacharyUTK:

Good luck on that !

gnm53108 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

10?

Sorry but tonight has been proclaimed a long island night.There aint no tellin where or if I'd wake up after ten.

Hounddog writes:

Let's play football. Hounddog

volatil writes:

I hope good ole Mike had same conversation with Spurrier , Richt , and Meyer .

musicjl#606296 writes:

in response to MagicMan:

FYI, Kiffin didn't lie about the JUCO guy. HE just didn't comment. And, I'm curious to hear how you are sure that he is on campus. I must have missed that somewhere. Do you have a link to that info?

stevefrommemphis writes:

Slive said he would move SEC Media Days out of Birmingham after the way those Alabama rednecks treated Fulmer last year. Why didn't he?

AF_VOL writes:

in response to BasketVols:

This is a great read about the Vols!

As much as I like what was said in this link...It sounded like this was coming from a fan and not someone who was looking at the Vols objectively. I do believe we will improve this season but I think he may be looking through rose colored glasses. His grades seemed to be a little inflated. I also believe he is overlooking some of our competition this year and how we match up with them. Also, he didn't seem to high on Poole...any thoughts on why this is? I hope he is right about the season!! I think it will be a good year if we go 8-4 and go bowling!

BasketVols writes:

in response to AF_VOL:

Yeah, Bleacher Report is a fan site where you can write your own articles. I just thought it was a good, and biased, pumper upper.

He's probably like the rest of us, and more intrigued with the possibilities of Bryce and Oku than what Poole can do. That's all.