Scroggins to pick Southern Cal

Quarterback Jesse Scroggins (6-foot-3, 195 pounds) has committed to Southern California, according to a source close to his recruitment.

Scroggins' announcement will be aired on ESPN this afternoon. It was taped on Wednesday.

Scroggins, from Lakewood (Calif.) High School, was also considering Tennessee and Florida.

Distance from home was said to be the primary factor according to the source.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Second_Year_Vol writes:

What a suprise

Phowell23 writes:

I hope this "close source" is wrong. I thought distance wasn't a factor. Either way we'll be fine. Go VOLS!!

volatil writes:

Maybe his close source should put him in contact with Mitch Mustain.

UTVolAlum writes:

Scroggins informed members of the Nike Elite Camp yesterday that he would be choosing USC. He made the commitment on a tape delay for College Football Live to air this afternoon. He is staying out West and playing for the Trojans.

tdtnsee writes:

Jesse is a chump and a sell out!!! This is ur choise not ur dads !! This will be ur biggest misstake. I hope u have fun sitting the bench at USC and I hope the minute after you sign they get put on probation for the bush and mayo ordeal.

WhitePineVol77 writes:

Big whoop...let's move on.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

There's no way to tell if this kid is serious or not. Let's move on, get a smarter QB next year (maybe one that's not 17).

Second_Year_Vol writes:

Everyone in Cali will love watching him...ride the bench!

yeavols#228407 writes:

No surprise...with every star wanting to go to Southern Cal, i would love to see who's on the bench.

SeanJean writes:

You guys are hilarious with your misguided and immature bitterness. The kid chose to play somewhere else. That's life. He didn't do anything wrong. Good luck to this kid.

GOVOLS123 writes:

Maybe the splinters off the bench will motivate him to try to beat out any of the other QB's there

tdforvols writes:

At least he didn't pick Florida.

BigOrangeScrew writes:

in response to tdtnsee:

I agree that IMO this is the wrong choice for him but how is he a sell out? He lives in LA. I think everyone just needs to settle down.

BTW, maybe he likes to sit on the bench. It could be relaxing.

Second_Year_Vol writes:

Is it wrong for us to vent just a little out of a little bit of frustration? I think not. By tomorrow it will be water under the bridge and I wish him the best. But for today, yes, I will be bitter.

Orangeblood13 writes:

rats

lomas98 writes:

Everybody dogged this kid for being full of himself and delaying his announcment for TV. If he announced yesterday and they are tape delaying it to show on TV is not the kids fault. ESPN is to blame for most of these kids being full of themselves. I am pretty confident USC is the choice if they taped it yesterday. Nobody can keep it under wraps that long.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to tdtnsee:

Why wish for bad things for a player? Why wish for bad things to happen to schools? Wouldn't you rather UT win by beating the best, not by having them disqualified for violations?

You have a 18/19 year old that is making the best decision he can with whatever input he is getting. He will get a great education in the classroom. It is 1 in 10 (or less) that he ever plays in the NFL. Get over it and move on.

chad_t31 writes:

Realistically we all knew he'd stay out west. Give me a 2 star that WANTS to wear the orange. Good luck mr scroggins....and your son too!!

OrangeCrush writes:

Keep working on getting a QB CLK. Disappointing, but expected.

smashmouth98 writes:

have fun RIDING THE BENCH!!!!!!!!

thebrainofj writes:

in response to UTVolAlum:

He may be staying out west, but I doubt he'll actually be "playing" for the Trojans.

Whammy

rootin4volz writes:

Try not to get any splinters in your azz, Scroggins.

Second_Year_Vol writes:

Can anyone honestly say they DIDN'T expect this?

volsAREgatorbait writes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WOW - it must REALLY suck to be you guys.

UF - 63
UT - 6

-write it down

tums writes:

in response to UTVolAlum:

Well, "playing" for the Trojans is relative. He wont actually be playing.

RJ_Vol writes:

Good luck to the young man. Truly, I think we are better off on this particular case.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to UTVolAlum:

You mean sitting for the trojans!!!
His lose, hope he loves being on probation
when the hammer comes down from the NCAA!!!

volpreacher writes:

Just remember guys and gals, it ain't over until the ink is dry. I have a feeling once the Vols are rejuvenated this year and the qb's show improvement under Kiffin's system, some of these guys are going to want to change their commitment. Remember a fellow by the name of Richardson, Teague, Brown, etc. None of these "commitments" are binding. Let the season play out and we shall see. What you think Witchdoctor?

miamiVOL writes:

please don't get butt hurt over a 17 yr old's decision. Last night at Texas Road House Coach James Cregg said he expected this, but the staff a surprise up it's sleeve for QB's (a-la a surprise last year at the RB position)

senracjr writes:

If he chooses USC then it shows just how dumb he really is,we don't need a dumb QB. Anyone that prefers riding the bench over a chance to play is to stupid to play for us.

mdvol writes:

in response to smashmouth98:

have fun RIDING THE BENCH!!!!!!!!

No doubt, Smashmouth. I mean, what is the logic in this decision playing behind 5 star golden boy Barkley? He could have been a 4 year starter at UT and broken Peyton Manning's records. I don't get why a big time QB is not dying to come to UT.

BigOrangeScrew writes:

in response to BadNewsCafego:

To be fair, it would be Daddy not Mommy.

Weatherman writes:

There's plenty of time between now and 2010. My forecast is that we not only get what we need, but a COUPLE of fine QB prospects as well...they just might not have the last name of Scroggins...watch and see!

GreenDevilVol writes:

Within the seven months of signing day, some other q.b. will emerge as a front runner. Some one that would come to UT with his ears laid back and wanting to be all ORANGE !!!!! I will give you three whom will REALLY WANT to be a VOL !!!, in other post, stay tuned !!

GreenDevilVol writes:

PROSPECT #1

This will be one to watch as time goes by in our search........ good arm, reads defenses well,and has an affection for UT...........

XFactor writes:

At least this won't be one of those deals where he goes somewhere else and we spend the next 4 years seeing how great he is on ESPN. I would be shocked if we ever heard the name "Jesse Scroggins" again after NSD.

johnsoncityvol writes:

I wonder who the source is? This article is only speculation at this point. I agree he will probably be all USC but why not wait until the announcement to post this article? If the source is wrong, KNS looks pretty dumb.

GreenDevilVol writes:

Prospect #2... Watch for Kiffin's interest to grow more toward this one as time goes on..his team mate is already a VOL !!!........

TnWalker writes:

Well, that's the last we'll ever hear of Scroggins!

linebam writes:

I can't believe he would choose to find himself (at least) fourth on the QB depth chart at SoCal when he's almost guaranteed to start as a freshman for UT in the biggest, best conference in the nation (with the most impressive TV deal going). I guess most star athletes believe they can beat out anybody and Jesse feels he's got a shot. Wow! Well... good luck to him.

XFactor writes:

in response to Weatherman:

The problem is, in the meantime Ambles and Stone probably go somewhere else. They were purportedly waiting to see if Jesse picked the Vols. I wouldn't be surprised if we still get Milton, though. Holding my breath . . .

UTfan4life2 writes:

Have fun starting as a SR...

kiffownsfla writes:

We will see. ALL VOL BABY!

Second_Year_Vol writes:

Has anyone seen or read anything the past month about him coming to UT? When is the announcement? I heard noon, I heard 3pm, which is it?

GerryOP writes:

OK, the drama is over. The sky is not falling. Take a deep breath and relax! Can we get back to Tennessee football? Fall camp opens in 12 days!

44 -- Fear The Kiffin...

rollreadyvol writes:

ALTHOUGH UT NEEDS A QB IN THE WORST WAY BASED ON THE FACT THAT THEY ONLY HAVE TWO SCHOLARSHIP QB's ON THE ROSTER THEY WILL BE JUST FINE. IF JOHN PARKER WILSON CAN MANAGE AT ALABAMA (I HATE ALABAMA) THEN I AM SURE THAT CROMPTON AND STEPHENS CAN DO THE SAME THING COACHEM UP COACH KIFF TENNESSEE WILL BE JUST FINE A NEW ERA OF WINNING IS COMING SOON.

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

It's sad how most of the posters on here act. It's like they are 8 yrs old again and playing ball at someones house, not getting their way and saying I'll take my ball and go home. Grow up. The kid grew up a USC fan. It has always been his dream to play for them. His dream has come true and you act like a bunch of kids because you didn't get what you wanted. Wish the kid good luck and move on and stop making Tenn fans look as bad as you are making yourself look. We should be showing these kids how much class we have as Tenn fans instead of this nonsense.

99gator writes:

some of you have lost your mind.

this appears to be a guy who was going to go to the school he wanted regardless of depth chart. several kids are "vols" or "gators" or "bulldogs" or "tigers", etc, way before they commit. all they need is for that school to say they want 'em, and it's a done deal.

hard to knock a kid for going to USC.

maybe, he thought.....i'll watch and learn, get comfortable, and when it's my turn.....i'll play well and go in the top 10 of the nfl draft like every other USC qb.

Second_Year_Vol writes:

in response to ImgonnaturnFloridainrighthereinfrontofyou:

Perhaps they are just happy to be rid of Fulmer? Im happy he is gone too, but in no way do I believe some of the things you said. UT will improve on the 5-7 mark but it will still take years to rebuild. I am frustrated that UT lost out on a good prospect and at the same time, other SEC schools are gaining commits daily. Its ridiculous that they cant get a QB. There is still time though, I think they can pull it together.

gnm53108 writes: