Vols finally sign Lamaison, offer Bray

UT moves ahead for QB after Scroggins decision

Lamaison

Photo by tennessee.scout.com

Lamaison

A day after losing one of its top recruiting targets, Tennessee’s quarterback hunt shifted its focus.

First, the Vols announced they had officially acquired Nick Lamaison from Mt. San Antonio (Calif.) Community College. The signing likely took place long ago but was held by UT to ensure that no other quarterback would be scared off.

“It’s a relief just to have it out there and have it official and everything be done,” the 6-foot-1, 210-pounder said Friday. “I’m excited to enroll in school and start classes this fall.”

Highly ranked quarterback Jesse Scroggins from Lakewood (Calif.) High School committed to Southern California this week after a contested battle with UT and Florida.

Following Scroggins’ decision, UT also upped their pursuit of Tyler Bray from Kingsburg (Calif.) High by offering the 6-6, 190-pounder a scholarship. Bray committed to San Diego State in July.

Bray was ranked as the fifth best quarterback in the Elite 11 camp held this week — one spot ahead of Scroggins — and was presented with the Golden Gun Award.

“Potential, potential, potential is the one thing that Bray bleeds,” according to Barry Every of Rivals.com “Once he fills out, his arm could be one of the strongest in the country.

“He already possesses laser-like precision and can see the entire field from a vantage point that very few signal callers can. Bray does need to work on becoming a slightly better athlete in order to buy more time in the pocket and avoid the rush.”

Lamaison should provide immediate depth for a school lacking proven quarterbacks. Lamaison becomes UT’s third scholarship quarterback, joining senior Jonathan Crompton and junior Nick Stephens. Lamaison is already in Knoxville and working on learning UT’s offense.

“There’s definitely a sense of urgency but I’m excited,” he said. “It’s a pretty simple system. I’m picking things up pretty quick. I don’t have a problem having to step in there.”

“Once I learn this offense, then I can really start to compete against the other guys. Until then I’m just trying to pick everything up and be the best sponge I can be.”

The 6-1, 210-pounder passed for 3,479 yards and 36 touchdowns with a 166.5 efficiency rating as a freshman for Mt. San Antonio last season.

Mt. San Antonio finished 2008 with a 12-2 record and won the Central Conference championship.

Largely overlooked coming out of high school, Lamaison is a graduate of South Hills High in Covina, Calif.

“My head wasn’t in the right spot,” Lamaison said, referring to his high school days. “That year (playing junior college football) helped me to not only refine my skills but get my mind in the right place.”

Lamaison said he was also pursued by North Dakota State and Utah State before deciding to enroll at UT. Lamaison said he believes his college interest was limited because most schools didn’t think he would be finished with his junior college requirements this early.

“I was able to finish a lot faster than the schools had thought,” he said. “They thought I was going to come out as a sophomore. I was kind of flying under the radar.”

Lamaison grey-shirted in 2007 before playing last season at Mt. San Antonio. Lamaison said the junior college experience changed him — both physically and mentally.

“A full turnaround,” Lamaison said. “I was a talented athlete in high school but my grades weren’t in the right place — and my mind wasn’t.

“I grew so much mentally on the field and as well as physically in strength and learning how to use my body to the best of my ability.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Thy_blood_runneth_Orange writes:

This is good news. But, I'd still like to Brunetti come aboard.

TSNSD4UT writes:

Welcome Nick now get to work lets see what you can do.

fredricks writes:

Finally, the truth is uncovered!

volever writes:

I knew this, hope he turns out to be a steal...GO VOLS!!

RJ_Vol writes:

When is the last time UT signed a juco QB?

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

Personally, I'd take a successful JC player over a successful high school player any day. The player is older and has proven himself against a level of competition that's better than high school.

Remember Charlie Garner?

Realist writes:

FARRAGUT0406
----------------------------
I believe you owe me an apology since I was exactly right! If you do not know the topic, it is best to not post!

armyvol22 writes:

Does anyone know why he went the Juco route?

orange_glory writes:

Was this Gran's "suprise"

tums writes:

I have been more excited with getting him than possibly getting Scroggins. He has played one year of better-than-high school competition and did excellent. Now he has 4 years to play 3. Next year will be his second in this system, where as it would be Scroggins first. Every recruiting guru has said that this is a down year for QB's anyway. There will be plenty more to choose from in the next coming.

RJ_Vol writes:

Good luck to the young man! I am looking forward to him proving his critics(me included during past posts) wrong. I hope he appreciates what an honor it is to wear the Power T. Welcome to Big Orange Country! BTW, I love those billboards that say that when you come into Knoxville.

10cvolnga writes:

Welcome to the VOL Nation Nick. You know what the situation is. Show the recruiters that questioned you they were wrong. Good luck in making the best of it!

orange_glory writes:

in response to tums:

I think I agree

Hounddog writes:

Now, let's play football. Hounddog

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

What little film I saw of this guy was pretty good..He throws the long ball with ease and has a nice quick release..My prediction is he the starter by mid season..Crapton will continue to throw INT's because of bad o line protection and lack of downfield vision..The second string guy is no better.. By the way I just watched 10 minutes of film on Mr. Brown and he's unreal great..Incredible accelaration from anywhere on the field and has a great spin move.I thought I was looking at Barry Sanders..Definetly something to get excited about..He looks ready for SEC ball..Play him now ready or not because he is a game breaker..Can hardly wait to see him in orange

VOL_in_Florida writes:

Does he have a realistic shot at becoming #1 QB this year? His accolades sound great for JC but will that be good enough at big boy school? What say the rest of you?

sizeDD writes:

in response to orange_glory:

I think I agree

Agreed. Might have a steal here.............

FWBVol writes:

in response to RJ_Vol:

When is the last time UT signed a juco QB?

I am thinking it was probably Steve Alatorre somewhere around 1980-81. I know that Cockrell was after Altorre, followed by Tony Robinson, Daryl Dickey, Jeff Francis, Sterling Henton/Andy Kelly, Heath Shuler, Peyton, Tee and that takes you up to 1999.

VOLorado writes:

don't forget... he WAS one of our first offers

volsgirl writes:

Wellcome Nick.......star learning how to sing Rocky Top!!!!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to orange_glory:

I think I agree

Good call man..Let's pray he's smart and learns fast..I think he'll be the starter by game 5 unless Reaves works a miracle coaching up Crapton

Bigger_Al writes:

Glad this is official. It is key to have a 3rd or 4th QB on the team immediately even if all they do is a) run the scout team, or b) throw to the receivers. Crompton and Stevens would throw out their arms trying to get reps to all our receivers.

And if he turns out to be a steal and a helluva QB, that is even better.

RockyTop1_old writes:

Just in the "Nick" of time!! GO VOLS!!

LDDFC912 writes:

Nick. Welcome to the Nation. 100,000 plus await. Go Vols

volever writes:

Now we are talking!!!now the QB competition will be fierce, let the best man win...GO VOLS

shoalcreekvol writes:

Sounds like 3 yrs of eligibility left (not sure how juco xfers are counted), so even if Crompton and Stephens split most of the time this year, this guy could esaily take over next year with 2 yrs to start while we train up a newbie from next yrs recruiting class. Good deal.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I see him as a back up this year and possible starter next year. Crompton and Stevens have both played SEC football, have been through Kiffin's spring training, are familiar with the receivers, backs and linemen, are the beneficiaries of offseason drills, work-outs and instructions, and will most certainly be better for all of that this year. It's unlikely that both of them will fail this season. If I'm wrong, it'll be nice to know we have Lamaison as a back-up. Most likely he will compete with Stephens and others for the 2010 starter. Yes, he's probably more advanced than a a freshman out of HS, but he's still never even practiced with an SEC football team yet. Give him a little time to get his feet on the ground before we have expectations of him.

mtvols writes:

I think CLK will give him equal opportunity to start with Crompton and Stephens. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts before the season is over.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to RJ_Vol:

When is the last time UT signed a juco QB?

Gary Valbuena back in the early 70's. He backed up Condredge Hollaway. Steve Alatorre in the early 80's, he was a 2 years starter. Both were from California. So it has been almost 30 years since we have signed a JUCO QB that played a lot.

oldsmokey67 writes:

I would still try to get Garrett Grayson or Cam Newton.I'm new to the site so don't bash me to much.Go Vols.

tnbanker_govols writes:

JUCO......who cares??? Has anybody ever seen our quarterbacks play??

oldsmokey67 writes:

WELCOME TO BIG ORANGE COUNTRY Nick.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

I am basing this off of what I have read elsewhere.

He was academically qualified coming out of high school and chose to go the JC route. He played one year of JC ball. Because he was academically qualified he did not have to graduate from JC in order to transfer to D-1 school and maintain eligibility.
He now has four years left to play three seasons of football.

StroVol writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Where did you hear the "run up the score" rumor?

volfanNPa writes:

We had the same problem last year that Auburn had. No one on offense knew what they were supposed to be doing. I really believe that we will see solid not great play from our QB's. I expect the vols to go 9-3. Close loses to Fla and Bama and an ugly loss to Ole Miss. Ole Miss is hungry. The gator fans better enjoy this year. Next year they lose just about everyone and it will be payback time in K town.

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to volsgirl:

Wellcome Nick.......star learning how to sing Rocky Top!!!!!

I`ll second that.We already have the two top RB`s in the nation.This guy looks like he might just be a pleasant surprise for UT.He looks like a pretty good passer on YouTube.Also,wait `til Bryce Brown and Oku get started!So much for Scroggins.He`ll be ridin` the pine for a long time at USC.Also,Brunetti will be a Vol before it is over.He knows it.

TommyJack writes:

Spin in how you like, but signing Lamaison was smart.

tnbanker_govols writes:

in response to volfanNPa:

You're right......Gator fans better enjoy this year. I'm predicting they'll be losing a whole lot more than just players. After another disappointing season in South Bend, Charle Weiss will be amongst the ranks of the unemployed leaving a nice vacancy for Meyer and a few of his fellow Gator staff. Meyer didn't take the job last year because he knew he had another great year at Florida left. Wait and see...

Realist writes:

in response to armyvol22:

Does anyone know why he went the Juco route?

Apparently he had a good junior year. His senior team won only one game. His stats were down with no supporting help. He fell out of the spotlight as his team fell. Went to juco to prove he is a solid quarterback. Had phenomenal stats at his junior college. Still an unknown, but Kiffin is willing to give him a try! Bring him on!

MidTennVol writes:

All of you guys, you might be forgetting the other Nick, as in Stephens from Flower Mound, TX. My gut tells me Nick Stephens is gonna surprise a lot of people.

I hope Crompton does extremely well -- he's paid his dues and earned a chance to lead us (again).

But Stephens just may have those play-making intangibles that wins football games.

Watch out for Nick Stephens., aka The Gunslinger.

Go4Two writes:

Are there no Quarterbacks east of the Miss River.

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to CrimsonTide987:

The two top "RECRUITED" RB`s.Give them time,Crimson Tide.They`s gonna be alright!

VolFanNC writes:

in response to VOL_in_Florida:

No. He has a lot to overcome as far as working out with the receivers and learning the plays. Stephens and Crompton should be light years ahead at this point. If they aren't then it will be a long season.

Lamaison, should have a chance next season or at the end of the season depending really on how Stephens does.

I do expect that we will see a much different JC and Stephens this year. NS is working on mechanics, so maybe by next year he will also be a top motch QB.

Realist writes:

Here is a few highlights of his juco team.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Claudette:

I want to commend you for being so delightful and cheery as an interlopre/troll can be.

I'm sorry mumsy didn't give you your cocoa and cookies and that made you upset and thus your post. Now didn't I wrap that up nice and neat?

Claudette has such a nice ring to it.....no I didn't say THUD!

On topic, welcome NICK to BIG ORANGE COUNTRY!!!

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to CrimsonTide987:

You could be right,CT.Correction noted.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to CrimsonTide987:

I'm sure you would, but given the track record with the top rated rivals players, I think we will be just fine at RB.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to Thy_blood_runneth_Orange:

This is good news. But, I'd still like to Brunetti come aboard.

Why Brunetti? Kiffin has already dismissed a carbon copy of Brunetti.. Let Brunetti go go WVA where he can possibly fit into their offensive plan..

tdforvols writes:

in response to CrimsonTide987:

The Vols will get more than that in the first quarter.

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

Watch out for Nick Stephens., aka The Gunslinger.

You are correct Nick Stephesn will be the primary starter of most of the 2009 games,the bowl game and 2010 and will play the first day of 2011 in another bigger bowl game...CLK will Crompton his last last last opportunity to succeed or fail...the signing of this JUCO CLK had to do it cannot put Berry or the G-Gun in play anymore...Nick Stephens will surprise everyone this guy has it, players know it, coaches know it, Crompton's parents know it and Crompton knows it...