Desmond Brown says he wants to play for Vols

Athlete Desmond Brown from Cherokee County High in Centre, Ala., said he wants to play for Tennessee. He made that clear during UT's football camp Tuesday.

“I would like to get that done today if possible,” said the 6-foot, 190-pound Brown.

Brown thought he was close to receiving a scholarship offer and was ready to commit following camp.

“I loved it,” Brown said. “I got to go against a lot of good guys. This is the SEC. You can’t get any better than SEC football.”

At the conclusion of camp, Brown received an offer from UT.

Brown reportedly has scholarship offers from Arkansas and a number of smaller schools.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Heck yeah!!! Let's go get em'!! I love he says he wants to get it done TODAY if possible. We'll see if TN reciprocates.

dvhill100 writes:

If LK thinks he's good enough, he'll get the offer. If not, he won't. LK is going to only get the kids he thinks can compete and play. I love the fact this young man wants to play for us. Hopefully his skillset matches his enthusiasm and want to.

UTKpremed writes:

There is word out there that he performed very well and has recieved an offer.

So all the haters who are dissing the kid because of his current lack of offers, just know that he may soon be a part of this team.

Trust the coaching staff. You think Monte Kiffin doesn't know what to look for in a defensive back?

Its not like his pass defense ranked in the top 10 either every year or every year but one during his time in the NFL or anything.....

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to nicksjuzunk#646117:

according to this link, he has an offer from UT.

WestTennVol writes:

6'0 190 and raw with a 4.5? hell blow up to 205-210 and get taht down to the mid-high 4.4's, cant have too many guys with natural tools when you got the coaching minds to really teach him the game, hes motivated, bring him in!

turningsummer writes:

I know, like some one sittin around the office or the house is so much smarter than the professional football coaches that I'm gonna trust THEM over Monte Kiffin, or Jim Cheney. You're right. What was I thinking? AND, farragut, why do you troll on here, if everything is so awesome down in Tuscaloosa? Nothing personal, just that I could care less about trolling on a Bama newspaper website. It's sorta embarrassing, isn't it?
I would almost guarantee you Bama and the barners will be all over this kid as soon as he commits to UT, if he is, in fact, good enough for our coaches. (Not neccarily the overweight, half drunk, illiterate, monday morning quarterbacks that post negative phooey all the time.)

bigorangefan79 writes:

He just got his offer.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to turningsummer:

kingsportvolfan writes:

in response to turningsummer:

i agree my friend. If Kiff and Co. think they have the skillset then i think so too!

IBleedOrange444 writes:

He got the offer today but didn't pull the trigger.

belayvol writes:

in response to nicksjuzunk#646117:

Classy. I went to Farragut. Feel better with your high school jokes?

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Ok, I recant. You have a couple of posts that are kinda putting a damper on a couple of great days by dogging recruits. I suspected you as a Bammer by some of your other posts. Let's be friends.

PepperGrinder (Inactive) writes:

Camp performance earns Brown UT offer

One of the headlines on rivals. So I guess GVX will report on this sometime.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Drunk on the orange kool
aid?

Is that cold and frost brewed?If so...I'm in!

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

I think the short term thinking on Meyer and Saban is more of wishful thinking. Maybe Meyer would jet... but who would want to leave what he has built? Even if it was for the Domers, you can't beat the recruiting fields of Florida.

Saban is probably locked in for a while. Yeah, he has run off before, but he also was moving upward the whole time. He left LSU for the NFL and didn't like his taste of the NFL it seems. Bama does have a history, passion, and is in the top conference. He is probably set there for a while.

We are definitely lower on talent than the top SEC schools... for the moment. We are also not quite as bad off as some would have us to be. Consistency is the key, and I hope that we are pulling out these unknowns before they blow up their senior year.

miamiVOL writes:

who cares what his offers were, according to reporters at the camp the guy was a beast

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Good post. The O-line especially needs help. The lack of QB play does cause the defense to key on the running backs which is probably going to be an issue again this year. Crompton should be much improved but not enough to strike fear in opposing D's. The one exception to poor QB play in my opinion is Casey D.ick. He was horrendous when McFadden and Jones were there but they were still a tough team to beat. Of course, there is no doubt it is a tall order for our stable of quality backs to be able to match those guys.

movol53 writes:

Hey, I went to Farragut also. Bill Bates, Neil Clabo and others have come out of that school. My parents and brother still leave in the area (Lenior City) since they moved. Now that we have the lopers off of here we can have a real discussion. You are right just a couple of injuries and we will be hurting in either line. And I don't see many freshmen that can play at the SEC level very often; especially on either line. The other boys have four years of growing, playing time and weight room on the freshmen.
I just hope we are respectable and are "in" every game.

belayvol writes:

in response to movol53:

I just hope we are respectable and are "in" every game.

From one Farmer to another, Howdy!

beachvol1 writes:

Good deal, glad that he graded out with the approval of the staff....you smart a---es think you know it all....why even go on and post negatives....just because an in-state school doesn't offer, doesn't mean you can't get it done....how short our memory is....I believe a guy named Patrick Willis from small town Bruceton Tn in west tn, has made it pretty good at Ole Miss and now in the pros...smoke that will you....

TnScooby writes:

Well what a mess...lol...Noone here claims to be a professional scout but everyone is entitled to there opinion...the only one that counts is CLK...Lots of big time college and pro players didn't get recruited by big time schools or have 4 or 5 stars as high school prospect rankings and still did well....Cortland Finnegan being one example I get to see every Sunday for the Titans. CLK and staff will make their own determination as to who they think is worthy of a scholarship so what we say won't matter. But we can still speculate, that's what makes a message board so much fun...lol.

utmdm writes:

in response to BadNewsCafego:

Well, Forrest wasn't so bad on the field once he got pumped up on that box of chocolate.

wildberry14 writes:

i went to farragut

belayvol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

At least now i have an idea who you are in real life.

Vol_in_Texas writes:

in response to nicksjuzunk#646117:

It's good to see some realistic yet optimistic banter between fans instead of my dog is bigger than your dog swaps that you get with all the 'lopers. It is a bit disconcerting that the kid has no offer from in-state yet that's not necessarily a reason to write him off. I can't wait till fall. GO VOLS!!

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

Hey, if this kid has the speed, size, and motivation, lets get him. Not all players out of high school who excel in college are "Five Star" immediately. We have the coaching staff to mold him, and mabye by his second year, get some major playing time.

GO VOLS!

BasketVols writes:

Guys, check out this young UT student's story for B/R. Really quality stuff. I didn't know the story of the '65 season.

Hickmc writes:

Another kid that Tennessee was able to get that Alabama and Auburn didn't recruit was Joey Kent. Sound familiar?

tums writes:

in response to BadNewsCafego:

No. Gump played for Bama. The bear wanted him. Sarcasm of course.

orangebloodgmc writes:

So, if we offer a kid BEFORE any of the other big schools, then he's just mediocre talent that the other big schools don't want?

And if we offer a kid AFTER a lot of other big schools, we are behind the 8-ball, playing catch-up?

Could it be that Kiffin, Orgeron, Chaney, Gran, Thompson, etc. know as much, if not more, about college recruiting as any other major college football staff? I'd say they have done well, so far.

Basketball_Jones writes:

I like howthis kid said he wanted to get it done TODAY, then we offered and he said he needed to go to Bama 1st. Looks like we called his bluff. Hope we get him but you shouldn't say you'll committ, then not

richvol writes:

Some seem to forget that these kids haven't even played their senior seasons yet which is usually their best. Additionally,some instate schools assume that since he's and instate kid that they don't have to recruit him too hard or early...especially in Alabama where almost every kid wants to go to Bama or sometimes Auburn.

Tyson Clabo also went to Farragut...plays for the Falcons.

Volunatic writes:

Glad to hear that Desmond Brown committed. GO VOLS!

Volunatic writes:

in response to robvols:

I stand (sit) corrected-- I misread the article. Thanks for the info.

smashmouth98 writes:

Orange Swarm, REEL THEM IN!!!!!!!!