Memphis QB Brunetti hopes Vols make offer

Tennessee’s coaching staff got an up-close look at quarterback Barry Brunetti from Memphis University High School on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Brunetti competed in UT’s skill-position camp.

With a list of scholarship offers that includes Mississippi State, Penn State, West Virginia, Clemson, Oregon and Marshall, he said he wanted to show UT’s coaching staff his ability to throw and run.

“My film doesn’t show how quick my feet are, but I have real quick feet,” said Brunetti, who was named one of the quarterback MVPs following his performance. “I wanted to come out here and show them in person my arm strength and that I have real quick feet. They know I can run.”

The question has been whether he can run UT’s pro-style offense. Brunetti, whose high school runs a spread offense, believes he can adapt to UT’s system.

“I feel like I can fit in any offense,” he said. “Even though I run a spread, I feel I can fit in a pro-style or any offense. I practice more pro-style by myself than even spread.”

UT’s coaching staff will next decide if Brunetti is worthy of a scholarship. He said he isn’t bothered by the lack of an offer from UT.

“I don’t have an offer yet but if I do I’ll love it, and I’ll have them up there because I’ve always loved Tennessee since I was a young kid,” he said. “Even if I don’t have an offer, I’ll still love Tennessee because it’s the hometown and I’m the in-state kid.”

Brunetti said he has visits scheduled to Ole Miss, West Virginia and Penn State in the next two weeks.

He said he plans to make a decision in July, and that he won’t wait into his senior season for an offer from UT.

“I don’t think I’d hold off,” he said. “Either way I want to get it done before my senior season.”

First Impression: Vic Beasley had a nice showing after meeting UT’s coaching staff for the first time.

The 6-4, 215-pounder from Adairsville (Ga.) High was named one of the linebacker MVP’s following his performance.

Beasley said he hopes his showing will convince UT’s coaching staff to offer him a scholarship.

“I believe they liked me a lot and I believe I should get an offer soon,” said Beasley, who has offers from Auburn, Vanderbilt, Clemson, Duke, Louisville, Stanford and East Carolina.

He said he believes he would fit into UT’s defense because of his size and athletic ability.

“I just wanted to impress the coaches with my outside linebacker skills,” Beasley said, “How I run and how I use my speed to help my athletic ability.”

He said he plans to wait until after his senior season to commit to a school.

He said he would certainly make a return trip to UT if he receives an offer.

“I like (Neyland) Stadium and I like this place,” Beasley said. “The coaches are great here and I just love being in this atmosphere.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

GatorHater326 writes:

just so noone says first

gohawks1 writes:

How does one go about practicing a pro-style offense by one's self?

teampenny#658108 writes:

well sign three or qb's Keep the news coming. Go Vols

belayvol writes:

in response to gohawks1:

How does one go about practicing a pro-style offense by one's self?

You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out, you put your right foot in, and you shake it all about. Sorry, Margarita time here.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to belayvol:

Mas Tequila!

I wonder if this guy can play himself in ping pong too?

byobbio writes:

Fifth!

JLeon04 writes:

Who else was there? Heaps or Scroggins? Appearently not...

kabzs writes:

in response to smokeydog:

Size does matter

baldfan writes:

Hey - if the kid says he's a UT fan and he is a homestate guy, I think we offer, but what do I know? I liked Jim Bob Cooter too.

By the way, how many scholarships can we offer in 2010?

Just say "no" to the lopers!

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to gohawks1:

How does one go about practicing a pro-style offense by one's self?

Throwing very high lob passes so you can go catch you own throws?

Hmm...that guy would have some blazing speed in that case!

cobbwebb writes:

the thing i really like is the new attitude of the recruits toward our university! these kids are now trying to impress our coaches and are now "trying out", rather than our coaches trying to impress them! the recruits are buying into this staff, and i like it! these kids are working for offers, and scholarships, rather than thinking UT owes them something! the mindset of this staff is totally different from our old staff, and they have made tennessee relevant in the recruiting game again! the days of settling for players is over imho!

txvolsfan writes:

Chase Daniels is 6'1" but that is a little short!!!

I still think we get one highly regarded QB, possibly
Scroggins but I'm a little concerned because of things I've read on this site.

Where is Savage when you need him???

cobbwebb writes:

sometimes you gotta offer a kid(instate) if he really wants to play for your school, regardless of measurements! kids with heart and "want to" often times make very good college players! i say offer this kid now! whats the worst that can happen? if hes as athletic as advertised he may be able to play safety! go for it!

cobbwebb writes:

in response to DestinVol:

expat- i am wondering the same thing!

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

I have to be honest, I really like Brunetti. He looks good. Looks like a competitor.

pammyvol1000 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

Chase Daniels is 6'1" but that is a little short!!!

I still think we get one highly regarded QB, possibly
Scroggins but I'm a little concerned because of things I've read on this site.

Where is Savage when you need him???

I was curious about SavageO too. What happened to him?

cobbwebb writes:

in response to pammyvol1000:

I was curious about SavageO too. What happened to him?

i think savage was tired of all the riff raff on this site! would love to read his post on recruiting!

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

in response to baldfan:

By the way, how many scholarships can we offer in 2010?

Just say "no" to the lopers!

They passed a rule capping scholarships to 28 at the SEC meeting last week.

Might as well call it the Ole Miss rule.

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to JLeon04:

Who else was there? Heaps or Scroggins? Appearently not...

Both will be at later camps.

chad_t31 writes:

in response to BadNewsCafego:

If that's where the really smart kids go, wouldn't he have said "really quick feet" rather than "real quick feet"? Just wondered.

OrangeBlood84 writes:

A 4 star recruit on rivals and scout. This kid looks like he can play on tape and won the mvp. With no qb in sight why has he not been offered a scholarship?

Perfektion_87 writes:

I think we should offer Victor Beasley, who also attended the camp.

At 6'5", 213 lbs., and running a 4.47 in the 40, we could use this guy somewhere on the field!

oldvolsfan writes:

in response to gatorz6:

hey numnuts go take a flying leep numnuts 4 5 6

ect1983 writes:

in response to gatorz6:

u are repeating yourself, Richard Head

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

Thanks for the post that's great news!

Heck, I bet we offer Brunetti. I was 50/50 earlier, but I bet the see Drew Brees in him... however, he will not be seen as the prize, they will still go after top dogs and have Brunetti as a fall back plan.

volstasis writes:

in response to gatorz6:

We'll remember that when Tennessee comes in to the swamp 9/19 and leaves the mirrors fogged with anger from the gator fans in disbelief. Nah, maybe not this year, but Tennessee's coming. The Gator glory days end is coming soon.

chaos001 writes:

He was quite the force for MUS as they went undefeated and won the Div. II-A State Championship. I don't think it would hurt to have a few extra QB's on the team.

murrayvol writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

Chase Daniels is 6'1" but that is a little short!!!

I still think we get one highly regarded QB, possibly
Scroggins but I'm a little concerned because of things I've read on this site.

Where is Savage when you need him???

Just guessing but I think he (like many others) tired of the inanity which has consumed this board for several months.

He may also be cultivating relationships with the new staff.....or at least trying to.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

I am just concerned what our strategy is going to be with all these QB's we are looking at all of a sudden.
I mean if we go after Heaps and don't get him and then Kiff tells another QB we are not interested that is pretty good and we lose him too.
I wonder how many we are going to try and sign?
3 or 4?
5 maybe?
I mean we are going to only have one after JC leaves.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

old_number1 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

I wonder how many we are going to try and sign?
3 or 4?
5 maybe?
I mean we are going to only have one after JC leaves.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I've wondered the same thing. But I go back to the fact that this very well may be the best recruiting staff ever assembled (and the're being paid like they are). This is not their first recruiting season. This is why they are paid the big bucks. I really think the QB situation is in good hands.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to GatorHater326:

just so noone says first

being second , third or fifth isnt going to keep our kindergardeners from saying first

Slystone writes:

Brunetti will be a Vol, book it.

miamiVOL writes:

Barry Brunetti (6' 200 4.5 Memphis, TN).

First off I have seen Barry live and he is very much a cut above most anyone around him in Memphis. He is much faster than the 4.81 reported by Rivals.com. He has a strong arm but isn't very accurate with it. He has very happy feet when standing in the pocket. Doesn't progress to the next option but rather will take off.

His vision while running is amazing and could very well be a running back. Most of his issues are easy fixes at the college level and his athletic ability more than makes up for his short comings (5'11"-6').

Home run threat every times he runs the ball. Takes charge of the situation and leads by example. Leaves it all on the field. Keeps the ball close to his body.

Ranking: - Not the #1 DT QB but has that IT that you like from a QB.

Evaluation: 90% Shotgun. He is very much a run first Dual-Threat QB.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to BigOrangeCrazy:

They passed a rule capping scholarships to 28 at the SEC meeting last week.

Might as well call it the Ole Miss rule.

The NCAA rule is that you can have no more than 25 scholarships per year and no more than 85 total scholarships.

Even if a school signs 28 in a year to Letters of Intent, they only have a max of 25 scholarships to give.

belayvol writes:

in response to DestinVol:

My perspective. Many more kids at this years camp and of higher quality. This year is way over the top more intense in actual coaching/drills. From everything i have read this year, it is very organized and designed to showcase a prospects skills while also teaching. Everyone is treated the same whether you are a 5* or 1*.

This is far and away more like a pro camp than the spring sleepover that Auburn held playing video games and singing Kumbaya around a campfire. This is business from start to finish with excitement everywhere. These kids are motivated by the staff at every turn. i cannot say the same from past years camps.

old_number1 writes:

in response to belayvol:

Good post, Belay. much better than the posts I've had to make today!! LOL

gnm53108 writes:

in response to belayvol:

Yeh,in my oppion we have upgraded in coaching,from an entire staff perspective.Which reflects on the head coach who put it all together.

belayvol writes:

This is just my opinion. From the things i have seen so far, the best way to describe this staff is a machine. Everything working at a fast pace but smooth. If this translates to the field, and i cannot see why it would not, it's almost like for every situation there will be an answer before it happens. Or maybe saying there will be several options pre-planned for each scenario.

I am not saying we are going sky high with results yet but i feel this staff will have every game plan developed to spin on a dime as things change. It is encouraging to think that we will at least be adaptable as the need arises and have a good plan before hand.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to belayvol:

Yep,thats the last piece of the puzzle.Will all this translate to the field.

I'm with ya.I dont see why it shouldnt.

tennezz writes:

You don`t have to be 7 feet tall to be a good guarterback, Anyone remember Condridge or Heath? How about Danny White with the Cowboys? He was 5/10!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Yeh,I'm with ya.

Remember the Georgia game,I think it was 93,where we had a 3rd down and forever,and he took off running.I was in Norfolk Va,with a buddy of mine who was a bulldog.I remember yellin dont run,dont run....run d#mnit,run.

Thanks for bringing back the memory.

jmillran writes:

in response to MagicMan:

What does being black have anything to do with anything??

panties4tebow writes:

Basketball_Jones writes:

I think they should offer him after we get another QB committed. He may be 6'0" tall but if the kid can play he can play.

TragicMan, Tahj Boyd is out for the year and by signing a 6'0 5 Star QB it would scare off other QB's. Brunetti won't scare off anyone

UTshib007 writes:

Check out this great article on the 1965 Vols!

VolFanNC writes:

Beginning to look like Brunetti, Munchie and Lamaison will be the 3 we end up signing if things keep progressing the way they are.

My best guess is that after the next camp with Scroggins and Hendrix and a few others we will have at least 2 signed QB's. Hopefully Hendrix and Scroggins are looking at the situation and will decide to sign early, but if not, worse case is we end up with the 3 listed above which isn't too bad at all.

So by mid-june we should have a pretty clear picture of the QB's coming on board which should help with the WR recruiting.

Does anyone know which OL's might be committing in the next couple of weeks?

wtnvol writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

I've seen Brunetti play every game for the past two years. No problem with him seeing over the line. He's also very adept at hiding behind a big lineman and waiting for a hole to run through. Barry has a great arm and is a "broken play" QB -- good at making decisions when a receiver or RB isn't where he's supposed to be.

Volunatic writes:

in response to baldfan:

By the way, how many scholarships can we offer in 2010?

Just say "no" to the lopers!

Jim Bob Cooter should have been named UT's starter in '05 before Ricky Clausen's bad attitude poisoned the team.
Jim Bob would have at least preserved the streak over Vandy.

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

in response to BillsBrother:

That's right as for the NCAA rule. UT could count 3 January enrollees against the 2009 class since we only signed 22 last year. So really we could sign the SEC max of 28 LOIs.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to MagicMan:

now just what does african americian have to do with your point ---- shouldnt your point just been the 5*-------are you suggesting somehow that we discriminating against the black athlete?????? and recruiting color instead of ability within the coaches system???????