UT camp important tryout for QB Rettig

It was clear that Tennessee's coaches were paying close attention to Chase Rettig, who flew in from California to be a part of Tuesday’s football camp.

The standout from San Clemente High School spent plenty of time chatting with UT’s offensive staff and often worked himself to the front of the quarterback line to make sure he got a proper tryout.

“It was important,” the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Rettig said of the chance to showcase his skills. “I feel like I didn’t get the opportunity to throw as much as I wanted to and they didn’t get to see me as much as I wanted them to so I was really excited that I got to throw in front of them.”

Rettig showed up for the afternoon session after missing the morning session because of a delayed flight.

Rettig doesn’t have a scholarship offer but is obviously enamored with UT. Rettig also visited the Vols during spring practice.

“I really like the school,” Rettig said. “I always had an interest in Tennessee. I’m just going to let it take care of itself and I think stuff will start to happen.”

Rettig and Brunetti appeared to be the best quarterback prospects at UT’s camp on Tuesday.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Get it done son! Prove yourself and get an offer. Lots of excitement on the Hill!!

ctownvol writes:

"UT is expecting some higher profile quarterbacks at its next camp on June 18-20."

Any early word on who some of these "higher Profile quarterbacks" are?

dvhill100 writes:

You have to love the fact the kids are wanting to come to UT.

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to Navalorange:

alond with Heaps,Legaux, and Hendrix should all be at the next camp.Unless heaps decides not to due to the commit to BYU !! Wait and see.

txvolsfan writes:

If he can be on a police blotter, I guess Cryer will sign them

kingsportvolfan writes:

If he has the talent sign him up!!

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Well done.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Tenn Vols will land the top 5 recruiting classes the next few years asnd win another NC in a few years.
You cannot spell Dynasty without Tenn Vols!
Besides Florida wishes they had the tradition Tenn does!!!
ha ha ha thats hwy they want to beat us so bad every year they are jealous cry babies ha aha he he ho ha ha!

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Anyway whats up with this Rettig kid never heard of him?

Weatherman writes:

in response to Navalorange:

LMAO...Go Vols!

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Thanks Navalorange!
I always enjoy your posts and info bro.
You always bring it!
GOVOLS(:

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

After reading what Navalorange posted about this Rettig kid I hope we land him.He is a QB that can turn it upfield and run.It says he is a pocket passer 1st so he would fit Kiff's System.

I just have always liked a dual threat guy that can run like Heath Schuler he was my favorite QB ever alltime when I was living in K-town in 1993 as a young wild party animal.

Man I miss those days being on campus fooling around.
The women were something else boys!
LOL!

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Yeah I hope we offer!
His senior year will be prob what it depends on.
Well that and all the QB's we are looking at.There are a buch all of a sudden and more on the way on the 18th.
I don't know if we will land Heaps but we will get somebody good!

Whiskey_Wizard writes:

Will Nick Laimison be there? Geez, there was a huge write up on him a day or two ago and now he's not mentioned. Just cause he is 6ft 1in doesnt mean he isnt a stud.....Fella's, he's got experience and doesn't make mistakes. He can play 3 out of 4 yrs. I think he can be what we need.

Voluvr writes:

Heaps or Scroggins will commit in June. Heaps is a midtermer and will start in January so he will have to commit early.

baldfan writes:

Quarterback is important, but with our backs, I would rather see info on potential O-linemen. We need some hogs and we need them quick! If we secure the linemen, hell our qb's can hand the ball off. I'll take a stout defense (Monte's got that handled) and 200 plus rushing yards per game. That's going to be our key to wins for the next couple of years.
What do you (Vol fans only) think?

BillsBrother writes:

in response to Navalorange:

So with Heaps being Mormon, will he be taking a two year mission trip at age 20?

Remember JT Mapu the former Vol defensive tackle did the same thing.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to baldfan:

What do you (Vol fans only) think?

Agree.We have a stable full of studs.

Freakin use em!

BasketVols writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

Andrew Hendrix
Pro-style quarterback
Cincinnati (OH) Moeller

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 220 lbs
Forty: 4.7 secs
Bench max: 225 pounds
Squat max: 385 pounds
GPA: 3.5

Rivals.com Rating: 5.8
Position Ranking: 11

This guy seems like the total package. I know we have offered, but does anyone know if he is leaning towards UT or not?

belayvol writes:

BTW, guess who is working with Mr. Rettig on QB skills? Our very own Casey Clausen. Think we have an inside track?

BasketVols writes:

Check out this very complimentary article about Coach O.

MrKnoxville writes:

Rettig is a sleeper...he has all the physical tools to be a STUD on the big stage. With the CLK's help he could be the next Carson Palmer...ok maybe that is a big stretch...but just gives you an idea of what this kid is capable of. But as you all can see...our staff knows talent...STARS OR NO STARS THIS STAFF CAN EVAL TALENT...PERIOD.

I would be surprised if he doesn't get an offer...and if he does I would be really surprised if he does not accept it to become our next SoCal VOL QB like the Clausen bros.

MrKnoxville writes:

in response to BasketVols:

Andrew Hendrix
Pro-style quarterback
Cincinnati (OH) Moeller

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 220 lbs
Forty: 4.7 secs
Bench max: 225 pounds
Squat max: 385 pounds
GPA: 3.5

Rivals.com Rating: 5.8
Position Ranking: 11

I agree...I put Hendrix above Scroggins and dead even with Heaps....watched alot of his clips...kid has it all and seems like he is a leader...folks close to Lakewood High out here just don't have alot of positive things to say about the character of Scroggins...but maybe they're all just jealous of him...who knows.

utvolz#637682 writes:

in response to BillsBrother:

Remember JT Mapu the former Vol defensive tackle did the same thing.

It's my understanding he does plan on taking his 2 year mission. Mapu had a fantastice freshman year and never was the same player once he returned from his mission. That really concerns me with a skill player missing 2 years.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to BasketVols:

Check out this very complimentary article about Coach O.

Basket, thanks for the link. The last line speaks volumes about where Fulmer's head was for the past 5-7 years.

troubleinc writes:

in response to Navalorange:

A++ buddy, great comment!!

panties4tebow writes:

WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Washington DEFEATS gators AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE TO SEE the gators CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click on link below to see gators CRYING!!!!!!!!!!!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

panties4tebow writes:

Way to go ali-----you deserved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You look so cute CRYING LIL-ali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did take it easier than pantie wearing tebow did when the gators lost ot MISSISSIPPI in football !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

IT'S CRYING TIME AGAIN IN gainesville AKA HOGTOWN!!!!!!!!!

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basketball_Jones writes:

Just finished reading Meat Market and man Coach "O" is crazy. He has taken alot of crp for his past but we have all been there at some point.

As far as these QB's go, I'm not as worried about their "Star" value or if we have a Top 5 class. I trust these people know how to evaluate talent and will bring in people to fit this system. Remember this senior class at UT was the #1 class in the nation, lots of potential that was probab;y never coached up

orangebloodgmc writes:

in response to dvhill100:

You have to love the fact the kids are wanting to come to UT.

Exactly what I was thinking.

givehim6 writes:

Tic, tic, tic. You know what that is? Compton's collage QB career coming to a close.

MrKnoxville writes:

in response to givehim6:

I usually reserve posting this site to all the Bama & Gator fans on here but since you can't spell COLLEGE here you go dude:

Volunatic writes:

in response to givehim6:

I like collages almost as much as photomontages.

old_number1 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I like collages almost as much as photomontages.

I think all of us are responding to the fresh air of 'no trolls'. That was hilarious!!

GreenDevilVol writes:

A look in the jump at the kid from Miami, Strauss; no wonder this staff is on to him,that and his team mate Williams !!!

Volunatic writes:

in response to old_number1:

It is pretty nice having the number of trollopers reduced.
Many thanks to Phil Kaplan for his efforts in that respect.

in response to BillsBrother:

Remember JT Mapu the former Vol defensive tackle did the same thing.

Yes, but Erik Ainge did not, lest we forget, as many seem to do. Neither did his uncle, BYU basketball All-America Danny Ainge. Not even Steve Young, a direct descendant of Brigham Young and an All-America at BYU, took a mission. Heaps has said that he does not intend to take a mission while he is playing football. Mapu did what he felt he was called to do, but not every Mormon has that same calling.

in response to utvolz#637682:

Maybe you are referring to a different source, but I saw an article, I think on Rivals.com but I'm not sure, which quoted him as saying that he did NOT plan to take a mission while he was playing football. Agree completely about Mapu; that mission seems to have taken him out of a potential pro career, but maybe that was not his aspiration anyway.