Former Florida defensive lineman commits to Tennessee

Tennessee received its eighth commitment for 2010 when former Florida defensive lineman John Brown told UT’s coaches he would be a Vol on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-2, 300-pounder is enrolled at Northeast Mississippi Community College after leaving Florida during the spring semester reportedly because of academic shortcomings.

Brown plans to be a part of UT’s 2010 class and will have two seasons of eligibility remaining once he arrives in Knoxville, likely in May.

Brown was one of the highest rated prospects in the nation when he signed with the Gators after a stellar career at Lakeland (Fla.) High School.

"I love the fact we play Florida every year," Brown told InsideTennessee.com, a Web site that covers UT. "Hopefully I can have a big homecoming game there."

Brown, who has aspirations of playing in the National Football League, said he is excited to play for UT head coach Lane Kiffin and defensive line coach Ed Orgeron.

"I want to get to the league; Tennessee is the best way for me to get there," Brown told the Web site. "I'm going to have to learn how to sing 'Rocky Top,' because we will be singing it a lot over the next couple of years.

"It's my goal to win a national championship while in Knoxville … Coach O is the best defensive line coach in the country and coach Monte Kiffin is the best defensive coordinator.”

Brown is the fifth defensive lineman to commit to UT for the 2010 class.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TurnUpTheVOLtage writes:

Nice

TurnUpTheVOLtage writes:

Love the O-Line!

sampears writes:

Can he play this year or when will his 1st year be....

TurnUpTheVOLtage writes:

Nice catch Tide haha I'll take D-Line as well I guess

OrangePower11 writes:

This kid is from my backyard, don't let the Florida trolls fool ya, this guy left UF because he was MISERABLE, he was not booted or lightly regarded by the coaches. His only problem was pad level, but CEO will have no problems taking care of that...once he figures it all out, look out!

DANVOL1 writes:

I love it!!! Go Vols!!! Another big ugly!!!

UTvols12342000 writes:

nice catch!

make me an "elite vol"

I NEVER feed the Trolls!

andy112382#209793 writes:

Former 5-star, ranked 4th best in the nation, I believe, out of high school.

Wonder when the first reptile follower will claim they didn't need/want him anyway.

wally writes:

in response to RollTide987:

Then I wonder why they recruited and signed him? btw, in case you didn't know, bama heavily recruited him as well.

DANVOL1 writes:

in response to RollTide987:

Florida is a little thin at DT, check it out for yourself.

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

Looks like a beast to me.
GO VOLS!

kiffownsfla writes:

Is he any good and when can he play 09 or 10?

kevin151 writes:

academic issues are no sweat for UT

99gator writes:

you all believe what you want.....

he's at a mississippi junior college for a reason.

i'll give you some choices.

1. florida "needs" him despite the fact he never played.

2. he had academic problems at florida.

3. he was doing well at florida and florida chose to keep him buried on the depth chart, making him miserable and forcing the kid to leave.

i'll let you all choose which option makes the most sense.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to OrangePower11:

Thanks op11 ! just what my username says lol! GO VOLS!

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

Was a 4 star and 10th best DT in 07 according to rivals. Recruited by our 3 biggest rivals. UF, Ga, and Bama.

cmoore7 writes:

If he has a decent career, other players from Lakeland will take notice. Lakeland has been Eyestye's bread and butter.

VolFanNC writes:

The complaint from the FL faithful after he left was work ethic, never ability. Definitely a big pick-up if he does the work.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

Actually, that was a fairly civil and astute post. Ease up Big. Take your loper-lert off autopilot.

turner_c writes:

He was a full qualifier out of HS and doesn't have to graduate Juco to come to UT, just get his academics in order (ala D-Mo). He will play at Northeast Mississippi Community College this Fall and plans to enroll Spring semester Jan 2010. No, he doesn't have to sit for the transfer rule, remember Brent Schaeffer at Ole Miss. He was an AA in HS and the #1 player in FL.

murrayvol writes:

in response to 99gator:

you all believe what you want.....

he's at a mississippi junior college for a reason.

i'll give you some choices.

1. florida "needs" him despite the fact he never played.

2. he had academic problems at florida.

i'll let you all choose which option makes the most sense.

I'll take door #2.

99gator writes:

in response to RichRollin:

not once in my post did i say he was a bad player.

i'm just reading all kinds of stuff being posted from people that isn't true.

while i don't think he was a bad player, i will tell you that 6 or more guys were ahead of him on the depth chart including, true freshman from 2008 omar hunter (who was injured) and matt patchan (who florida moved to offensive tackle)

being buried on the depth chart and his academics are the reason he left florida.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

Whats up big this guy will be GOOD! GO VOLS!

HallowedHill writes:

Thank you Mr. Meyer, may we have another?

txvolsfan writes:

in response to OrangePower11:

I heard it was because of lack of jail time that Cryer didn't want him. Not on police blotter, then you can't be on gay-tors team!!!

UTvols12342000 writes:

its just good to see that we are courting the top prospects AND probing all the various other options to fill various needs, i.e. transfers, Jucos,etc.

Its kinda like how I recruit on my college football game. Hit all the top prospects as hard as you can, see what sticks. THen fill in the rest of the team with all the guys you have been keeping in contact with, the average players.

I live in Holland and I miss my vols, so I kick FLoridas butt alot out of hatred and boredom. :)

GO VOLS! take em left, take em right! take em on that cool september night!

CoverOrange writes:

99g, when exactly did Brown leave UF? Before or after last season? How many years was he there?

caliGATOR writes:

Lacks motivation, I believe he never took a snap for UF.
Lets see what he does at UT, good luck to him though, not UT.

orangeoptimist writes:

why does everyone seem so happy to sign someone who flunked out of another university?

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to 99gator:

you all believe what you want.....

he's at a mississippi junior college for a reason.

i'll give you some choices.

1. florida "needs" him despite the fact he never played.

2. he had academic problems at florida.

i'll let you all choose which option makes the most sense.

Aw, come on 99. We know you're right but we haven't beaten you guys for 4 years. Let us have a little fun and humor us!

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

Hopefully he's used his time at JC to figure out he has to go to class to play football. Isn't is a country song "Sometimes goodbye is a 2nd chance"?

GO VOLS!

gibbypoo writes:

I was really excited about this get a few years ago and it just never materialized. Apparently nagging injuries and the academics put a strain that demoralized this huge guy. I hate to see him go to UT but I wish him good luck (just not against me Gators!).

99gator writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

he left during the spring of 2009, after the 2008 season was over (obviously)

he was redshirted, so he would have been a redshirt sophomore this season.

best of luck to him.

he was part of the seven lakeland players to sign with floirda in 2007 (as someone else mentioned)

he was believed to be the biggest recruit out of the group that came from lakeland.

dvhill100 writes:

To Vol fans.
Please try to keep it civil. The interlopers are being much better about it than the fans are. Granted there is history with some of them, but if they are civil, then you should respond in kind. We can have differing opinions on our teams and still be adult about it.

tums writes:

in response to 99gator:

you all believe what you want.....

he's at a mississippi junior college for a reason.

i'll give you some choices.

1. florida "needs" him despite the fact he never played.

2. he had academic problems at florida.

i'll let you all choose which option makes the most sense.

You're an idiot. All you tebag fans would love to have this highly rated kid there.

ect1983 writes:

in response to 99gator:

you all believe what you want.....

he's at a mississippi junior college for a reason.

i'll give you some choices.

1. florida "needs" him despite the fact he never played.

2. he had academic problems at florida.

i'll let you all choose which option makes the most sense.

You----giving options that make sense ? LOL

99gator writes:

in response to RichRollin:

yeah, that's how they were rated at the time.

rainey, brown, and the two pounceys were the biggest prizes.

rainey and brown were the highest rated and since brown was a defensive tackle (and the best lineman in the state that year), he was the biggest prize.

i don't think anyone saw ahmad black being the player that he has become.

kiffownsfla writes:

Wow like the way this kids thinking welcome young man. I didnt know rozier thats walkn on 4 us his dad won the hiesman 83 running bk nebraska mike sr and played nfl made pro bowl twice kids gotta good blood line ill say. GO VOLS Bookes say time for coke an rum lol!

ect1983 writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

Why do you Q what we are allegedly missing ??? If it bothers you, leave....oh no, that would mean getting a life.

ect1983 writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

If not understanding bothers you.....dont read and respond. Get a life, Dweeb

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Agree with this. Worse names than second chance U. Go Vols

littleorange writes:

Simple , If our coaches want him then that's ok with me! Don't care what Fla. and Ala. fans think......

Ironcity writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

I don't care if he isn't the brightest kid on the block (all of our schools have a number of kids that wouldn't be considered if not for sports). I don't care if he couldn't get on the field his Freshman year, most DT's don't mature until their junior years. What I like is that we keep adding talented prospects at a big position of need. We only need three or four of these guys to be what we think they can be. If its Brown great if not, then I hope its one of the other guys.

One other thing its likely that some of these DT's may change their mind or not qualify come January so the more we get the better.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

www.floridafansite.com/blogs.asp - Please go where you are wanted! GO VOLS!!!!

walter1998 writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

I am not sure Brown could have passed the on-line open-book music class either!

I mean, one of the questions was, how many strings does a 6-string guitar have?

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

You ever think that maybe the educators down in Lakeland may need to do a better job? Or that maybe he was so miserable at UF that his motivation to practice and go to class fell through the floor?

Personally, I was so miserable my first years of college that my grades were horrible and I had no motivation to go to class. After my time in the Army, I'm back in school, motivated, and making straight A's. Grades don't always reflect intelligence.

Quit making assumptions if you don't know the kid, and quit insinuating that UT cheats. It's getting old, dude.

murrayvol writes:

in response to ect1983:

If not understanding bothers you.....dont read and respond. Get a life, Dweeb

Unfortunately this is his life. The Great Pretender.

walter1998 writes:

in response to smokeydog:

OUTSTANDING! You will be the FIRST button-push.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

blogs.tampabay.com/gators

Volunatic writes:

in response to smokeydog:

Now, now. 987 has attempted to avoid being a mere troll for a while now. When he's not trolling, argue with the merits of his statements, or ignore.