Hooker: Look for UT to offer Brunetti

Dave Hooker

With Jake Heaps off Tennessee's recruiting board and headed to Brigham Young, the Vols will almost certainly be doling out some scholarship offers soon. Based off his performance in UT's skills camp, I think it's only a matter of time until Barry Brunetti from Memphis University School is a commitment.

I expect UT to offer and Brunetti to commit before the end of the summer.

Brunetti's height, 6-foot to 6-1, is the only concern. However, Brunetti showed enough pop in his arm and more than enough mobility to warrant a scholarship, especially for an in-state prospect.

Getting Brunetti doesn't mean UT will be done recruiting quarterbacks. Jesse Scroggins from Lakewood (Calif.) is still worth watching.

Mac Attack: Justin Maclin declared LSU the leader for his services.

"LSU is my number one team right now," the linebacker from Ridgeway High in Memphis told Scout.com. "They have let me know just how much they need me, and right now I feel like it is the school I could be most comfortable at."

Still, mama will get a say. Maclin said he hopes to get his mother to Baton Rouge for a camp in July in order to make a decision.

Knowing UT recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron's dedication to covering all his bases (such as family members and coaches), I figure he'll have a conversation with Maclin's mother before any decision is made.

After all, Maclin is still looking around - sort of. He'll visit Southern California's campus later this month. However, his comments to a recruiting Web site that covers the Trojans would lead one to believe that UT has some serious ground to make up.

"Basically the schools are LSU, Alabama and USC right now," Maclin told USCFootball.com. "I'm looking for a little bit of everything from a school. I want a nice environment, a place that has a great education and at the same time a great place to play football."

Tennessee's Tops: My preseason Top 20 prospects in Tennessee list will start running July 5. Not to kill the suspense but here are some thoughts:

n After what I saw at UT's camp this week, defensive end Jacques Smith from Ooltewah is all but a lock to be No. 1. Smith is almost as dominant of a prospect in this class as receiver Marlon Brown was last year. Smith was unstoppable at UT's camp.

n Maclin looks like he'll be second although Alabama commitment Keiwone Malone from Memphis Mitchell could make a strong push for No. 2.

n There's an battle brewing between James Stone from Maplewood and O.C. Brown from Manassas for top offensive lineman honors.

Stone struggled at times against the elite defensive ends in UT's camp. Both Stone and Brown look like locks to be in my top five.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

fredricks writes:

Lets get'em!

joshvols writes:

brunetti and scroggins would look good in orange.

Waldorf writes:

What about Rettig?

dvols writes:

we need both stone and OC

im just sayin

chad_t31 writes:

I guess these top kids in the state we really didn't want huh? What happened to "putting a fence around the state of tn"??

dvhill100 writes:

in response to chad_t31:

It takes time. The staff hasn't been here but 6 months. A lot of these kids have been recruited by these schools for years. Give LK and his staff time. They'll bring in the studs.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Marc have you heard anything about laimason lately?

hotrodvol writes:

in response to dvhill100:

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Dave I agree, UT has been out on the LB and the WR, it will be hard for CLK and staff to make up ground. The under classmen in TN will be important, and the 2011, and 2012 should be where this staff will make headway.

Pullingguard writes:

Somewhat disappointing that Vols have not been able to attract a mid to high profile prospect for QB... Seems like all the action is on defensive side of ball, and that is needed, but has to be a mix, and for sure there is need for offense line people... It will probably all work out.

gcscvol writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

IGNORE THE TROLLS!!!!!!!

newtonrail writes:

Dave: "Credit Brunetti's summer camp showings for his rising draft stock. Many, including me, didn't think he was what UT was looking for in a quarterback." I thought we were recruiting kids not "Drafting" for NFL.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to newtonrail:

Not sure if you were addressing me, but my take is the coaches saw something in him from first hand observation. I have to trust their judgment. Granted, they would like a 6' 5" 230# QB who can throw a pass 60 yards on a rope, but they will continue to play catch-up this year for the prize recruits. We may not get all the 5 * recruits, but LK has so far shown he knows what he wants.

I think they will bring in a top 10 class, maybe even a top 5 this year. Where we can really take off is success on the field. This year won't be a 12-0 season, but if we can show improvement and play SEC style football, then they will come. Winning solves all.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Now you got to believe in the lane Train. Ha Ha really. Why do you think a top Qb would be attracted to being lead by Lane. From day one he has zeroed in on JC most of us believe that. Go Vols

RJ_Vol writes:

in response to chad_t31:

Chad. Two things IMO. Memphis is obviously a fairly good distance from Knoxville. It's probably as easy(or easier) to drive to Alabama for a ball game as it is to drive to Knoxville from Memphis. Also, we know Alabama has had previous, well-documented "connections" in Memphis...I'm just sayin'. Memphis's location puts us in competition w/ schools in Mississippi, Arkansas, LSU, Alabama, Missouri, and even in Texas. I'd say Memphis-Dallas is similar to Memphis-Knoxville. Additionally, UT is going to have to put recruiting time into Memphis much like Pearl is doing now. But the biggest thing, UT needs to start winning...and showing some signs of life on the offensive side of the ball.

volsfaninlsucountry writes:

in response to RJ_Vol:

Myself living both just outside memphis and just outside knoxville (lived in clinton for 5 years) i know that it is a heck of a drive from memphis to knoxville, Now i live 45 mins from the gulf of mexico just outsdie new orleans, (Hence the name)But i will say this it is nice to be able to get Vols Info because god knows you wont hear anything good about the vols down here in LSU country, GO VOLS

gmoneyvol writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

You again??? Do you have a job?

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

For some reason, when I see Brunetti, I really have a feeling he is going to be one of those fiery, undersized competitors who gets it done. He may not be the most talented QB we sign, but having the heart and leadership still goes a long way. Bring him on!!

tennezz writes:

You don`t need all 4* and 5* recruits to have a great team, Ask Utah!

bjrhodes01 writes:

Inside word from MUS is that CLK isn't interested in Brunetti. Maybe that changed at camp?

JayTee writes:

We passed on Nick Montana because of being only 6' 1" so why would we offer a dual threat QB the same hieght to run a pro style offense unless its to play DB of safety.

in response to DCflorida3:

Whatchu talikn' about, DC?

What about Hendrix?

TommyJack writes:

And whatever happened to the Savage?

BasketVols writes:

Anybody see Lane and Layla on ESPN this morning? Just a rehash of things that have been beaten to death by the media. And that whole thing about the recruit being in his office while the camera rolled? Well, looks like ESPN was there for that reason; a hatchet job.

Since we're stating the obvious this AM: isn't Layla one of the prettiest women you've ever seen in your life?

beachvol1 writes:

Brunetti has all the tools to help us at the qb position...the quy reminds me a lot of Colt McCoy of Texas, and when you see him play, you will know what I mean...no fear in this young man whatsoever!!!

dvhill100 writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

I agree with all the above. It was a plainly, blatant, self-promoting, underhanded setup for them to mention the potential violation they orchestrated. Then to rub it in by talking about it before TN has even determined if it is a violation is ludicrous. I have always been less than convinced about the ESPN conspiracy theories than a lot of fans, but stuff like this does make you wonder if there is an agenda.

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Hey Marc,

Do you know why the talk has gone completely cold on Hendrix? The staff seemed high on him not long ago, and now I don't see his name even mentioned as a recruit anymore; any news?

in response to dvhill100:

You would think with the new SEC contract that the perceived bias would lessen, but it seems to be going strong. Honestly, the only new information contained in this report was the aforementioned possible recruiting violation. We already new about the secondary violations, what Kiff has said, that Hammy doesn't "disagree with his methodology", and that Lane doesn't care what others outside of the program and fanbase think.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to BasketVols:

As astute as summary as I have heard.

The television contract would seem to lean them toward at least being unbiased in the coverage, but who knows. Reporters can twist anything any way they want, and usually do to promote their own self interest.

in response to dvhill100:

As astute as summary as I have heard.

Exactly, I think these reporters had one goal in mind. They already had the story slated, and there was nothing new to dredge up, so they brought up this possible recruiting violation to spice it up.

I think Layla was right on in what she said about Lane not meaning to offend, and doing what he has done solely for the University and the team.

in response to DCflorida3:

Can't you at least take Sunday morning off? Can we make that the new rule; that you and the Others leave the real fans alone for one morning of the week, to discuss and reflect without all of the negativity and hate-mongering?

crappieking writes:

in response to BasketVols:

He can't. If you slept with gatorz5000 every night you would want to vent too.

in response to crappieking:

He can't. If you slept with gatorz5000 every night you would want to vent too.

I bet gaytardz is a big, big girl.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to dvhill100:

I agree 100, you look at what Satan did at Bama and his first year was bad but has improved the attitude a lot there.
Even though he buys his players!!!lol

ctownvol writes:

in response to BasketVols:

I bet gaytardz is a big, big girl.

She is. She's so fat she sweats grits.

ctownvol writes:

in response to utwhinesalot:

That's original.

montanavolfan writes:

in response to chad_t31:

Chad I am guessing you have never built a fence, you start with the first post then the second and so on. Only after all the post are in the ground you then have to strech wire. It takes a while to build a fence. None of the above can be done with out first deciding to do it. Its hard work and takes time.....

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Thanks marc keep us updated please. GO VOLS!

in response to MorristownVOL:

Go empty your sh-t bag, old troll, and pick on someone your own age like Bob Hope...

All you do is b-tch like a girl. I bet you lost your "abilities" and that is why you hate young people and Pearl so much. I've got your number, don't I, you pathetic old fart?

Where are the rest of the Walker Crew, and I don't mean Johnny Walker?

in response to biggestutfan:

He probably nodded off watching Lawrence Welk and is sitting there is his remote control recliner drooling on himself, smelling like old bacon and mothballs.

He always hates on young people and fans of Pearl. Imagine that: a University of Tennessee message board having young people and fans of the head basketball coach on it all the time. You would think that all these students would leave the discussion to a bunch of impotent old men that hate the basketball team....

And most importantly, if he hates young people so much, then why does he care about COLLEGE athletics?

in response to biggestutfan:

My dad is in his 60s, but he likes young people (especially his grandkids) and UT sports. He gets it that kids are gonna make mistakes and not always perform like you want. The coaches are accountable, but should not be talked about like they are on this board by members of a team's fan community. It became fashionable to bash Fulmer and now it seems that this may be taking place with Pearl, which is nothing short of delusional.

You, biggun', are always cool, and we are still going to have that beer before whichever game I can make it to next year. Know who this is now?

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Thanks Marc. As always, you da man!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

Kinda like the gators were when Cryer came in ?? !!

volunteers4life writes:

Hopefully, UT will no longer be an unknown to top QB's and offensive linemen after the start of the season. I am really hoping for a complete turn around by Crompton to open the floodgates to these positions. Seems we are doing extremely well on Defense and at Running Back (thank you Eddie Gran) but QB, OL, and WR have been our achilles heals on the recruiting trail thus far. I am sure that some great OL play, and a solid performance by our QB this fall will help line up the dominos for 2010 and certainly for 2011-12. Go VOlS!

tennezz writes:

in response to BasketVols:

I bet gaytardz is a big, big girl.

She wears size 54 tebows!!

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

I suppose that was an attempt at a size joke (polite laughter). Oh well, those that don't have...

Btw, doesn't Coleman have a rap sheet out in California following his "Different Strokes" days? If that's true, he's probably already committed to Florida.