25 things you don't know about Pat Summitt

25 things you may not know about Pat Summitt, head coach of the Lady Vols basketball team

Pat Summitt

Pat Summitt

Pat Summitt

Pat Summitt

The YWCA has chosen the eight women who will be named Lifetime Achievement honorees at its 25th annual Tribute to Women event on Aug. 20. They are all women who've led the way on their individual career paths:

Donna Cobble, the first woman on a number of local community boards and the first female chair of both the Greater Knoxville Chamber of Commerce and the United Way campaign;

Pam Fansler, the first female East Market President of First Tennessee Bank;

Sarah Moore Greene, longtime educator and first black member of the Knoxville City Board of Education;

Debra London, first female president of a major East Tennessee medical center, now Mercy Health Partners;

Barbara Reid, first black associate dean of the University of Tennessee's College of Nursing;

Mintha Roach, first female CEO of the Knoxville Utilities Board;

Liane Russell, a retired ORNL scientist and a leading researcher; and

Pat Summitt, the most winning coach in NCAA basketball history.

We've asked each of these outstanding achievers to tell us 25 things we don't know about them. Their answers follow.

Education? BS in physical education, University of Tennessee Martin, 1974; MS in physical education, UT Knoxville, 1975

First job? Head women's basketball coach, UT Knoxville

Mentor? Billie Moore, my Olympics coach in 1976

When I was a kid I wanted to be? A basketball player

Book I learned a lot from? The Bible

Philosophy of life? Treat others the way you want to be treated

If I didn't have my current position I'd be? A teacher

Someone I admire I've not met? Celine Dion

My greatest strength? Teaching skills

My greatest weakness? Over-scheduling

Introvert/extrovert? Extrovert

A good day is? A day at the beach

A bad day is? A rainy day at the beach

One habit I'd recommend to others? Exercise

Is caffeine a must? Not necessarily … but have at least one cup a day

Favorite time of day? Sunset

I eat at my desk? Rarely

Favorite work clothes? Sweats

Last vacation? Kona, Hawaii, August 2008

What makes a good boss? Someone who allows you to manage your own program

What makes a good employee? Loyalty and someone who possesses an excellent work ethic

Hardest part of my job? Losing a game

Favorite part of my job? Teaching on the court

A goal I've yet to accomplish? Nine national championships

Most important skill one needs to be successful? Great communication skills

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

pms151 writes:

Where are the other 7's 25?

RJ_Vol writes:

Great article!

chaos001 writes:

"A goal I've yet to accomplish? Nine national championships"

all in due time. should definitely have a shot at it after this next year.

n2thecheckerboards2 writes:

Best coach in any sport, period.

jigsha (staff) writes:

in response to pms151:

Where are the other 7's 25?

Click on their names in the introductory text to see that woman's 25 facts.

Jigsha Desai

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to n2thecheckerboards2:

Best coach in any sport, period.

She would not even agree with that. Go Vols

ps11824 writes:

What? We didn't know? I could have answered most of these. Except for the last vacation, and Celine Dion. Who knew that?

richvol writes:

Glad to see these pioneers for local women getting the recognition they deserve.

PureOrange writes:

Many people have a creed they really like for others to live by, but Pat Summitt actually lives by her creed of treating others as she wants to be treated. With the fame and success, she has stayed grounded.

I am very proud she is TENNESSEE!

dvhill100 writes:

Class act all the way.

in response to teampenny#658108:

She would not even agree with that. Go Vols

Only because, in addition to all her other great qualities, she is modest and recognizes that she always has room for improvement. She doesn't have to call herself the greatest coach because her record and countless other people speak for her on that.

in response to ps11824:

You must admit, 98, that not even every Lady Vol fan is quite as, uh, obsessive as you and I might be about knowing as much about Pat as possible(;-P)!

Even so, there were things I didn't know. For example, I was somewhat surprised to learn that Pat doesn't eat at her desk! She comes across as such a workaholic that I would not have been surprised to learn that she ALWAYS eats at her desk(;-D)!

Oops! The list said she "rarely" eats at her desk. Still, I would have expected the answer to be "frequently".

pammyvol1000 writes:

Pat's da Woman... She keeps on keeping on!!

ctownvol writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

You have no class at all.

4IDVOL writes:

uf2006bcs1:

You have absolutely no class. I am glad that the GVX staff removed your comment.

mississippi writes:

in response to ctownvol:

You have no class at all.

what else would you expect from a florida gator fan. they are almost as bad as that demon(BIG EAST SCHOOL)

BigOrangeJeff writes:

25 Things You Didn't Know About Urban Myth:

Education? BS in Narcissism, 1984. Got schooled by Houston Nutt in Gainesville, 2008

First job? Counselor at camp for troubled youth who display outstanding athletic tendencies

Mentor? Myself

When I was a kid I wanted to be? Football coach at Notre Dame.

Book I learned a lot from? My autobiography

Philosophy of life? Strict discipline, unless the offender can run a 4.3 forty.

If I didn't have my current position I'd be? Football coach at Notre Dame

Someone I admire I've not met? Tim Tebow, Jr.

My greatest strength? Ability to ignore transgressions of star football players

My greatest weakness? Inability to secure job offer from Notre Dame

Introvert/extrovert? Self-trovert

A good day is? Any day I get to see Tim

A bad day is? A day I don't see a mirror

One habit I'd recommend to others? Ignore character when recruiting

Is caffeine a must? No need. I get a rush from the smell of my own sweat.

Favorite time of day? Shaving. I get to look at myself.

I eat at my desk? I don't eat. I get sustenance from my own sense of self-worth

Favorite work clothes? Teebows

Last vacation? Circumcising Filipino boys with Tim

What makes a good boss? Treating all players equally, without regard to background or athletic ability... LOL, just kidding

What makes a good employee? Employee? I don't have employees. I do this on my own.

Hardest part of my job? All those recruiting rules I have to follow... LOL, just kidding again

Favorite part of my job? The way the mindless Florida fans actually believe I won't bolt for ND as soon as they offer

A goal I've yet to accomplish? Getting the ND job offer

Most important skill one needs to be successful? Be just like me

packie56 writes:

BOJ----LOL, and then some!!! You are a comic genius. Keep up the good work.

BigRMan writes:

I was surprised about the Celine Dion answer, some of the rest of the answers to the questions you would either know or could guess. I thought she'd be the type to eat at her desk (I was wrong) but I'll bet she'd still a work-a-holic, most perfectionists are. With her phys ed. background you'd know she values exercise programs. Ony 2 coaches can be compared to her John Wooden, and the late Red Auerbach.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to BigOrangeJeff:

25 Things You Didn't Know About Urban Myth:

Mentor? Myself

When I was a kid I wanted to be? Football coach at Notre Dame.

Book I learned a lot from? My autobiography

Philosophy of life? Strict discipline, unless the offender can run a 4.3 forty.

If I didn't have my current position I'd be? Football coach at Notre Dame

Someone I admire I've not met? Tim Tebow, Jr.

My greatest strength? Ability to ignore transgressions of star football players

My greatest weakness? Inability to secure job offer from Notre Dame

Introvert/extrovert? Self-trovert

A good day is? Any day I get to see Tim

A bad day is? A day I don't see a mirror

One habit I'd recommend to others? Ignore character when recruiting

Is caffeine a must? No need. I get a rush from the smell of my own sweat.

Favorite time of day? Shaving. I get to look at myself.

I eat at my desk? I don't eat. I get sustenance from my own sense of self-worth

Favorite work clothes? Teebows

Last vacation? Circumcising Filipino boys with Tim

A goal I've yet to accomplish? Getting the ND job offer

Most important skill one needs to be successful? Be just like me

I didn't want to like it... but I did! Good stuff!

babypuglover3 writes:

We should be grateful; that we have excellent, caring, loving coach @ UT.. She has done a lot in 35 years at UT. And you see that she wants the 9th national champoionship;soon. Possible this year; we hope. I got to met Pat and Holly. It was totally awesome experinces..Meeting them both. Pat does have a soft side to her. The side we see on TV or at the game; is her intense side. She has always said, she loves the players as her daugthers. And she loves us, the fans, and everyone at UT. She is simply the best.. We are truly blessed to have her; as a national championship coach. And she will be coaching for a long time. If you ever get to met her; you will see she still has it in her. We love you, Pat. Keep up the awesome work at UT; and let's bring home the 9th championship this coming season. To where it belongs in Knoxville.. Go Lady Vols and Pat Summitt, Holly Warlick, Dean Lockwood, Dee.

kazoo writes:

" Overscheduling" is her greatest personal weakness? PS is wonderful, but maybe she needs to get away from basketball a little more! Not very revealing in the least...Was this 25 things we didn't know about PS--or 25 basketball things we already knew?

off_the_porch writes:

Hey BigOrangeJeff - you have found your calling for sure. Keep up the great posts and commentary.

InertGas writes:

Thank the Good Lord for Pat Summitt.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to BigOrangeJeff:

25 Things You Didn't Know About Urban Myth:

Mentor? Myself

When I was a kid I wanted to be? Football coach at Notre Dame.

Book I learned a lot from? My autobiography

Philosophy of life? Strict discipline, unless the offender can run a 4.3 forty.

If I didn't have my current position I'd be? Football coach at Notre Dame

Someone I admire I've not met? Tim Tebow, Jr.

My greatest strength? Ability to ignore transgressions of star football players

My greatest weakness? Inability to secure job offer from Notre Dame

Introvert/extrovert? Self-trovert

A good day is? Any day I get to see Tim

A bad day is? A day I don't see a mirror

One habit I'd recommend to others? Ignore character when recruiting

Is caffeine a must? No need. I get a rush from the smell of my own sweat.

Favorite time of day? Shaving. I get to look at myself.

I eat at my desk? I don't eat. I get sustenance from my own sense of self-worth

Favorite work clothes? Teebows

Last vacation? Circumcising Filipino boys with Tim

A goal I've yet to accomplish? Getting the ND job offer

Most important skill one needs to be successful? Be just like me

Absolutely THE funniest thing I've ever read on the KNS site. You should apply to be a comedy writer for The Daily Show. Absolutely fantastic!