Paige transfers to Louisiana Tech

Former University of Tennessee wide receiver Ahmad Paige has transferred to Louisiana Tech.

Paige was a four-star recruit and the ninth best wide receiver in the country out of Sterlington (La.) High School in 2007. He visited Southern Cal, Florida, Georgia and Florida State before deciding on UT. A coaching change from Phillip Fulmer to Lane Kiffin, however, spurred a change of heart this spring.

“The SEC is a great conference with most of the best players, but once you’ve been there and done that, it doesn’t seem like as big a deal,” Paige said. “The things I want to accomplish, I can do right here at Louisiana Tech.”

Paige enrolled for summer classes in Ruston on Tuesday. He will miss the 2009 season under NCAA transfer rules, but will have two seasons remaining beginning in 2010.

The 6-foot-3, 179-pound Paige has enrolled for the first three-week session of classes, according to Tech registrar Robert D. “Bob” Vento Jr.

Since he initially signed his national letter of intent with Tennessee, Paige cannot re-sign at Tech, although he can sign financial aid papers. Student-athletes can sign national letters just once, unless they first go to a junior college, according to a Tech official.

“I didn’t really consider Tech out of high school, although I came to a couple of games here when coach (Jack) Bicknell was coaching,” Paige said. “But I love all of the changes that coach (Derek) Dooley is putting in place. And I wanted a fresh start. Things seem to be growing here and my family is happy to have me closer to home.”

Paige, who redshirted in 2007, saw limited action for the Vols last season and didn’t catch a pass. Paige believes he’ll be able to move forward at Tech both academically and athletically.

“I’ve only got about a year and a half left to get my degree (sports management), and I just want to do what I can to help this team while I’m here,” Paige said. “I would like to get to the next level.”

gnm53108 writes:

Good luck Ahmad.

dvols writes:

hellooooooooooo nukeeseeeeeeeeeeee

TrueVolsFan writes:

same school as Lennon Creer eh?

vtvol#210290 writes:

Best of luck, Ahmad. I'm sorry that the incoming comp was going to be too much for you.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

I hate to see that. Was looking forward to seeing him on the field this year. Transferring to La Tech? Maybe he hit that wall a little too hard.

pkaplan writes:

Reports indicate that former Tennessee running back Lennon Creer will enroll at Louisiana Tech for the second semester of summer school. Creer will not be eligible until the 2010 season.

givehim6 writes:

Humm, Creer now paige, makes a person wonder if something else is going on?

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Louisiana Tech = Tennessee South

gnm53108 writes:

in response to givehim6:

Humm, Creer now paige, makes a person wonder if something else is going on?

Is a coach,I mean ex coach gonna follow?

bluetick writes:

You have too much time on your hands apparently.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Good luck young man.

"SEC not a big deal"!

Some think so.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Good luck young man.

"SEC not a big deal"!

Some think so.

hahaha, right on!

Knoxvile25 writes:

I think this story should be a bigger headline. Paige was actually a decent athelete, who I would love to still have. I mean our receiving corps isnt very impressive, outside of Gerald Jones......and now its worse.

Recruiting high school kids is all good and dandy, but we keep losing the ones we got. I think more of an emphasis should be placed on this by the coaching staff.

99gator writes:

this is kind of like owning a mercedes, having it repossessed, and then in an attempt to make yourself feel better about it, make the rationalization that you can still get to work on the bicycle you now own.

i've got news for you there ahmad....."you weren't there and you didn't do that". unless "being there and doing that" is handing out gatorade to the people who are actually on the field and playing.

best of luck and get that degree.

gohawks1 writes:

Best wishes, young man. Word of caution, though... La brick walls hit just as hard as TN brick walls.

tums writes:

in response to 99gator:

best of luck and get that degree.

I am surprised by your comment, Gator. It really wasn't that bad. The first thing I thought when I read his comment was what you pointed out. Redshirt, then season played with no receptions. I dont think he ever touched the ball. He did exactly do the "been there done that" part. I would like to see him in orange because I believe him to have great potential, but he never contributed at all.

AllVol1 writes:

"And they that rebuketh the Orange banner of the Lord shall seek unto the desert; they shall thirst for springs, hunger for meat; rue their transgressions. Cast not thy nets unto the mire; dip not thy chalice unto the bracken. Witness the orange banner as it rises. Join ye the swarm as it strengthens, for the hour the annointed vol is come."

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

Well, I think this is one of the better examples of the over-hyped, over-rated star athlete that turns out to be anything but. How could two different coaching staffs not be able to get at least "something" out of Paige? It's gotta be all on him. Good luck at LA Tech young man.

voloffaith writes:

in response to RichRollin:

On topic or off topic? Are you going to post this on everything even if it is off topic? No I'm not going to call you out on every 'off topic' post. Just two today and that will be my limit for you.

Paige(on topic) never seemed to get it for whatever reason. Coach K gave him a shot and apparently besides hitting the wall in the end zone he hit a wall in development or commitment to good practice ethics.

DC_Vol writes:

To lose Paige to LA Tech. I mean really. I believe Paige just gave up hope. Maybe a little to soon.
This kid was the real deal coming out of high school. He had scholorship offers from many major programs and he put his future in the hands of Fulmer. I thank Fulmer for the 1998 season, but there was a serious dropoff of talent developed the last few years at UT as evidenced by the high UT draft classes and the low NFL draft status of UT players. I believe we only had one player drafted in the NFL last year. Anyway, Paige is a prime example of a great player with great skills that wasn't properly developed into the offensive system. This kid had talent!

99gator writes:

in response to tums:

"but, he never contributed at all"

exactly. which means.....he hadn't been there and done that.

which is all i am saying.

that, and you can't try to fool me into believing that louisiana tech is a better place to be than tennessee.

gibbypoo writes:

in response to long_vol:

Would you mind putting a number amount to your words of "beating" and "butt-kicking"?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Beware of roiling the GVX official chaplain.

SignalMtnVol writes:

“The SEC is a great conference with most of the best players, but once you’ve been there and done that, it doesn’t seem like as big a deal,” Paige said."

Maybe it's no big deal for the players who HAVE been there and done that. No disrespect to Ahmad, but he has always been on the bench, while other Vols stepped up so that they "have been there - done that".

voloffaith writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Beware of roiling the GVX official chaplain.

Thankee mr hrpufnstuffpdhuff....I know an oldee and a baddee.

I know that I'm not worth the bandwidth according to long_vol(what was a former name prior to banned if you were?)

Glad he is the expert since they trashed one of his post this am on this article.

I find it amusing that those who scream and rant over 'trolls/interlopers' spewing off topic stuff don't mind doing it themselves...as one poster says..I'm just saying'

Sorry fellers for soiling your clothes with my usually 'on topic' postings.

I mean one guy is bored as his excuse for posting off topic. "Football is always ON TOPIC."

So have a goodern and try not to take everything so seriously and that goes fer me as well...

jerseydevilvol writes:

in response to RichRollin:

i really like how he throws on the run. thanks for the link, its amazing that he was only a sophmore when that film took place, kid has got a cannon

voloffaith writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Thankee mr hrpufnstuffpdhuff....I know an oldee and a baddee.

Sorry fellers for soiling your clothes with my usually 'on topic' postings.

Sorry the 'CLOWN'(see long_vol) should have typed SPOILING not soiling...Thats it from so-called resident(not self-proclaimed) chaplain.

Oh BTW, referring to me as a hippocrite by questioning multiple posts is not accurate if my post are on topic and calling out ,if you will allow, those who want to post about anything anytime any article ...That such a stink really?

My simple request(doesn't matter anyway) is read the article post on topic response(s) and read fellow posters takes(on topic) and have a reasonable dialogue about all things VOLS. Is that really asking that much?

Goodday ya'll this post has ended.

tums writes:

in response to 99gator:

"but, he never contributed at all"

exactly. which means.....he hadn't been there and done that.

which is all i am saying.

Yeah, I meant to say didnt, not did. Anyway yeah, La. Tech certainly isnt a better place at Tennessee. If he wants exposure and great competition to get him ready then Tennessee is where he should be. Maybe he just likes knowing he is the best receiver, or the big man if you will.

xXRockyTopXx writes:

riiiight....anyone trying to spin leaving a major college football program for La. Tech needs to examine thier priorities...

99gator writes:

in response to long_vol:

they're in trouble in 2009.

i see changes coming because i think kiffin will bring in talent.

but, i have been beating the "it will take time" drum to death.

i think there will be at least a two game improvement because losing to ucla and wyoming last season should never have happened.

but, as far as florida goes, it's hard to find a matchup offensively or defensively that tennessee can exploit.

long story short.....it may the greatest florida football team ever (on paper) and tennessee will be on the road led by jonathan crompton.

that ain't good.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to smokeydog:

What the h#ll are you talking about?

99gator writes:

in response to smokeydog:

spurrier's teams were loaded, but they weren't deep or not as deep as the 2009 gators.

from scholarship 1-85, i would take the 2009 gators on pure talent.

however, in theory, they could go 10-2 and not even win the eastern division.

so, they have to go out, play the games, and prove my belief correct.....but, it's as deep a roster as i can ever remember.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to 99gator:

from scholarship 1-85, i would take the 2009 gators on pure talent.

however, in theory, they could go 10-2 and not even win the eastern division.

While I have to agree with ya,I would have said the same thing about TN in 99,mabey 00,and 01.

Halls3 writes:

I'm kinda surprised Paige is only going to LA Tech. Him & Creer both were talented enough to play somewhere in the SEC or another big time conference. I guess both think maybe the WAC will improve their stock.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to secjedimaster:

Christians against lions?

Whats the gators?

And yeh,yaws D,and Tebow of course,won yaw that nc last year.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Thankee mr hrpufnstuffpdhuff....I know an oldee and a baddee.

Sorry fellers for soiling your clothes with my usually 'on topic' postings.

As I said , don't roil the chaplain.

Or eat the yellow snow.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to long_vol:

He is a revered member of this board with longevity.

Farm life is eventful with a memorable high hillside encounter with crotalus horridus the other day.

Makes one go to church.