Jurick not returning to Vols

As expected, center Philip Jurick is leaving the University of Tennessee basketball team, coach Bruce Pearl announced Friday.

The 6-foot-10 Jurick will likely transfer to Chattanooga State Community College in his hometown, Pearl said in a UT release.

“I’m disappointed,” Pearl said. “But Philip knows that everyone in the Tennessee basketball family loves him, and we wish him nothing but the best.

“It is our anticipation that he will go to Chattanooga State. And the possibility still exists that he could return to Tennessee one day.”

Jurick redshirted in his only season at UT. He has four years of eligibility to divide between junior college and a four-year school.

He was rated the No. 68 senior prospect in the nation by Rivals.com when he came out of East Ridge High School in Chattanooga.

Jurick’s departure from Tennessee has been speculated about for some time. It became more evident when he did not enroll in summer school classes and was not among UT players who signed up for the Pilot Rocky Top League prior to Wednesday’s draft.

It also solves a scholarship dilemma.

Tyler Smith’s decision on Thursday to return to UT for his senior year put the Vols one scholarship over the NCAA limit. Normally men’s programs are allowed 13 scholarships but Tennessee is reduced to 12 in 2009-10 due to an APR penalty.

UT’s scholarship roster for the coming season:

Seniors: Tyler Smith, Josh Tabb, Wayne Chism, J.P. Prince, Bobby Maze.

Juniors: Brian Williams, Melvin Goins.

Sophomores: Cameron Tatum, Scotty Hopson, Renaldo Woolridge, Emmanuel Negedu.

Freshman: Kenny Hall.

Also, Skylar McBee will be an invited walk-on freshman and Josh Bone will be a walk-on junior transfer from Southern Illinois.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

golfballs03 writes:

why did we sign him?

suPEARLman writes:

shocker.....

kiffownsfla writes:

To play basketball i thought lol JJ. GO VOLS!

Slystone writes:

One leaves and one stays...interesting.

slsmithsr#269458 writes:

in response to BadNewsCafego:

It's the equivalent to Pellissippi State (you do know where that is?), except it has a basketball program. I'm not sure if Jay Price is still the coach there or not.

Irwin_Linker writes:

PrideOfTheSouthlandBand writes:

Well it would have been nice to see someone that large wearing a UT jersey for once, but maybe this will open the door for recruiting a little. After all, with only one center on the roster and everyone a year older maybe a top C prospect will look at us. Just a thought.

JamminVol11 writes:

Chattanooga State means he can come back when we have a scholorship available? Can he even shoot or does he just get in the way? The walk-ons played before he did.

refman_04 writes:

Jay Price is still the coach.

It would be great if the comments here where objective rather than trying to rip everybody a new backside.

in response to golfballs03:

why did we sign him?

Why would we NOT take a chance on an in-state big kid? Most young big men are unpolished coming out of HS. Most of them are clumsy, out of shape, and lacking in fundamentals and strength. Even if he had a "bad attitude", it is always possible that a change in scenery and a more-demanding coach might change that.

The history of basketball is full of examples of young big guys who seemed hopeless coming out of HS, or even during their first couple of years in college, who suddenly "got it" and became good or even great players. So it didn't work out that way for Jurick with us--big deal. Who was hurt by us taking the chance?

MidTennVol writes:

in response to golfballs03:

why did we sign him?

Thank you, golf, as that is the central question that has leaped out at me throughout this entire saga.

Are we recruiting "development" projects, players who "might" turn out one day down the road?

Say what you will about the new football staff but I do like the emphasis they've put on bringing in players who could conceivably play at the SEC level right away.

As Orgeron said in his first press conference (and I paraphrase): "We're not interested in taking risks on development projects or players who night work out on down the road. As soon as you bring him in on scholarship, you've got him for four years..."

Does BP and staff have that same philosophy?

This is his fourth recruiting class enrolling this fall, correct? (Or is it the third?)

How many of his recruits are riding the pine, i.e. not in the rotation or at least competing hard for a spot?

Are we offering scholarships to kids who we're betting will make the rotation immediately? Or to kids who "might" work out with a little "development?"

Don't get me wrong, I love BP and support him 110 percent -- I'm just genuinely curious as to the recruiting strategy. I'm sure if I could sit down with him for 10 minutes, I'd learn a lot about the recruiting/scholarship game.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

Could be bad news for recruiting in the future. Better make it to at least the Sweet 16 or I don't see them getting lot of highly rated recruits for a while. UT wasted their time and PJ's. PJ was the #68 recruit in the country and he was pretty much never going to see the court. Not because he is a bad player but because he doesn't fit in Bruce Pearl's system. Tennessee likes to run and gun while PJ needs to be able to post up and play down low. It's kind of hard to get an offensive rebound when you're not even across mid court and Chism is already in the process of air balling a contested three.(Sorry for the backhanded slap to Wayne)

At least Tyler Smith is coming back.... I like Wayne but if he was the leader of this team it would have been disastrous. Say what you will but I believe this team could win it all if three things were to happen.

#1 Maze in his second season or new comer Goins are able to distribute the ball.
#2 Chism plays under the basket 75% of the time instead of behind the arch.
#3 Scotty Hopson hits the easy buckets that he creates for himself.

in response to MidTennVol:

Does BP and staff have that same philosophy?

A big man taken as a "project" by a winning basketball program represents a bigger upside than such a player in a rebuilding football program. I like the early emphasis on quality in our football recruiting, and I too long for the day when CBP can recruit whoever he really wants, but, as I said in an earlier post, there just is no down-side to taking a chance on an in-state big kid, IMHO.

As for some of your other points, Jurick was signed in what was essentially CBP's third recruiting class. To my knowledge, none of CBP's recruits are "riding the pine"--Jurick was redshirted, not at all an unusual occurrence in any sport. Every active scholarship player was in the playing mix. Sad but true, for right now, UT basketball is largely still in the mode of signing who we can get rather merely choosing who we want. Finally, I am sure Coach Orgeron knows that ALL athletic scholarships are year-to-year, as several underachieving holdovers discovered this spring.

newtonrail writes:

in response to compact2:

If this board is any indication, they should. From Bruce's initial recruitment( and he was in the stands a lot at his high school games), and saying he might be back; Mr. Jurick may work out yet. He was caught in a numbers crunch. I wonder what some of you would be writing about the guy if he was your relative, neighbor, etc. I know people who know him, but I don't personally.

CoverOrange writes:

Chattanooga State CC = academic casualty????

Academic casualty = APR hit???

kiffownsfla writes:

They still showing that espn interview they showed sunday lmao! whatever guys its all good we will be playin old vol ball b4 long VOL FANS LOL! GO VOLS!

kiffownsfla writes:

Lol and they are interviewing PAUL FINEBAUM OF ALL PEOPLE ON ESPN OTL WHAT A IDIOT UNREAL ! HE NEEDS TO BE WITH MICHAEL MOORE THE SUCK UNREAL lol but finebaum did say will fla have enuff players out on parole to even play TN LMAO!

golfballs03 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Tom Boerwinkle.

TrouserCough writes:

Question the recruiting ability

us43137415#376444 writes:

in response to kiffownsfla:

Will someone please contact Will Robinson's robot to have him translate this jibberish..

Not everybody is 12 years old, dude. Please put it in plain English (and with the capital letters)......

BasketVols writes:

He was rated the #68 player by rivals. Why wouldn't we sign him? He just didn't pan out. Happens to every program.

ctownvol writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

Gump's was 75

in response to murrayvol:

Tom Boerwinkle.

Exactly! Exhibit #1 for my argument, though there are other more recent examples. Thabeet of UConn is one. He hardly played as a freshman but will likely be a lottery pick in this draft after his junior year. As the old saying goes, "You can't teach height!"

pms151 writes:

in response to newtonrail:

Maybe, However you or the 'Nooga Times need to show where there are any bigtime Bball teams fighting 'Nooga State for this kid. It happens every day. Kids sometimes just do not work out at major colleges.

Bigger_Al writes:

Florida, Kentucky, and Indiana all offered him a scholly.

VolInSabanLand writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

Does BP and staff have that same philosophy?

No disrespect intended my friend, but you seem to have jumped to a rather unsupportable conclusion based on one fact alone: that being that jurick is not returning after a redshirt year. From that we are to conclude that CBP only recruits projects and players who "might" see the court someday? Didn't that same class include Hopson, Negadu, Maze and Woolridge, all of whom played tons? Just because one guy out of a signing class of 4 or 5 redshirts and then leaves, doesn't mean nobody from that group played. Furthermore, we aren't even certain why he left - at least I'm not. Could be academics, could be not thinking he would get playing time, could be homesick, could be a bad attitude...who knows? Without that knowledge, how should I conclude that he was a project and was never going to play if he stayed?

I don't see one guy leaving, for whatever reason, as an indictment of CBP's approach to recruiting.

gmoneyvol writes:

He was a wasted scholarship anyway.

gmoneyvol writes:

in response to A_VOICE_OF_REASON:

Tiger High fan? You sound like one.

Chris4Vols22 writes: