Assistant coach series: Football only part of project for Wilson

Frank Wilson faced off against late-night talk show hosts long before he tested his mettle against SEC defenses.

ABC’s Nightline first shined the national spotlight on UT’s first-year receivers coach in 2001.

Wilson was interviewed as part of a story about rebuilding inner city schools. Wilson had done that at O. Perry Walker High School in New Orleans, where one of his programs helped his team grade-point average rise from 1.5 to 2.6.

Millions of people saw the broadcast, including one energetic Cajun coach named Ed Orgeron, who recalled another “Frank Wilson” crossing his football path.

Orgeron, UT’s assistant head coach, defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator, was coaching linebackers at McNeese State in Lake Charles, La., while Wilson was a standout running back and defensive back, earning preseason All-Southland Conference and Division II honorable mention All-America honors before his senior season.

Orgeron had moved on to coach defensive linemen at Southern California when he saw Wilson go late-night national.

Soon after the broadcast, Orgeron flew to New Orleans to congratulate Wilson and promptly offered him a job — even though he didn’t have one to give.

“He told me ‘If I ever become a head coach, I’m coming to get you,’ ” Wilson recalled.

Wilson didn’t commit immediately. After all, he had interviewed with LSU and some smaller schools. Wilson also wanted to see if Orgeron was serious.

“I just thought that he had a great attitude towards football,” Orgeron said. “Everybody liked him. He was always smiling. He was very competitive.”

Sure enough, Orgeron kept his word. Wilson was the first coach Orgeron called when he was named coach at Ole Miss in 2005.

“To be his first hire was awesome,” Wilson said.

Wilson and Orgeron worked together for three seasons at Ole Miss, helping recruit much of the talent that helped the Rebels to a 9-4 record last season although neither was there to see it.

“He was my best assistant on the staff at Ole Miss,” said Orgeron. “He did things exactly the way I expected him to. He’s a fantastic recruiter. Players love him. He’s a fantastic coach and always eager to learn.

“People talk about five-star prospects; Frank’s a five-star coach.”

When talking to both, it’s hard not to imagine the recruiting chemistry. Orgeron is the aggressor. Wilson is the calming force.

“That’s my guy now,” Wilson said of Orgeron with a big smile. “He’s been fantastic to me. He’s been a mentor to me in many ways.”

Wilson said Orgeron mentors him much like he coaches his players. Detail, accountability and being the best are imperative.

“Our relationship is unique,” Wilson said. “I know his interest in me is sincere. He wants to see me be the best I can be and all that I can be.”

The two had to wonder how long it would be until their paths crossed again following their dismissals at Ole Miss. Now reunited, the two are enjoying every minute.

“I love him,” Wilson said, “and we’re having a blast.”

Who knows if all that would have occurred had Wilson not been forced to give up the game he adored.

Stinging Prognosis

Wilson kept having what he thought were stingers during his sophomore and junior years at Nicholls State in 1994 and 1995.

As anyone who’s been around football knows, stingers can burn, tingle or, well, sting. Usually, stingers are just part of the game. Not in Wilson’s case.

The tingling became so persistent that he consulted a neurologist.

Doctors found a partially bent spinal cord in Wilson’s neck and early signs of paralysis.

Wilson’s football career was over — three games into his senior season.

“It was devastating,” he recalled.

Wilson hadn’t been showing up on any NFL mock drafts, but he was fast. That was enough to give him hope that he could play professionally.

“You work so hard for so many years for that little crack (of opportunity),” Wilson said. “It felt as if it was snatched away.”

Wilson could have helped himself and his family had he played in the NFL and gained the riches that could have accompanied that dream. Another path allowed him to help many more.

“God had another plan for me,” Wilson said. “That was to go back to the inner city of New Orleans and make a difference in the lives of those young men.”

First, Wilson had to accept that destiny.

Football Kept Calling

Following the diagnosis of his spinal condition, Wilson stuck around football as a student assistant at Nicholls State. It seemed better than giving it up cold turkey.

Yet the game he loved to play didn’t hold the same allure as a coach.

“After that experience, I was like ‘I will never coach,’ ” Wilson said. “I knew I never wanted to coach.”

Wilson was determined to be a physical therapist. To do so he took some extra classes to boost his grades in order to be accepted into graduate school.

In the meantime, he earned some extra money by coaching at Edna Karr High School in New Orleans.

That was just short term — or so Wilson thought.

With his expertise and work ethic, Wilson rode the coaching career ladder like an escalator.

He went from junior varsity coach to varsity coach to coordinator to a historic position.

At 26 years old, Wilson became the youngest high school head coach in the history of Louisiana when he was selected to take over the football program at O. Perry Walker.

Wilson’s work ethic still impresses his coaching colleagues.

“He’s the hardest-working person I have ever seen in my life,” said Dave Johnson, who coached under Wilson at O. Perry and is now the coach at St. Augustine High.

Wilson didn’t have an all-star staff at O. Perry Walker. Quite the opposite. Wilson had some friends from the neighborhood who knew football but needed a good bit of coaching themselves.

With a modest coaching supplement to offer his assistants, Wilson kept his coaches happy by keeping them well dressed in coaching gear.

Wilson took whatever was left, which was often old and worn out.

“He did not want to fail,” Johnson said. “He’d get upset with us if we wanted to leave at 1 o’clock in the morning. I’m like ‘Frank, we have the best team in the state. We’re going to be all right. I’m going home to my family.’”

Wilson stayed, Johnson remembers, often until 5 a.m.

It’s that dedication that helped Wilson lead O. Perry Walker to a state title in 2002. Now, he’ll need that same dedication all over again.

Rookie Again

Some questioned first-year UT coach Lane Kiffin when Wilson was hired away from Southern Mississippi to coach receivers. A quick glance at his resume reveals no mention of coaching receivers at any level (even though Wilson did so as an offensive coordinator in high school).

He was a longtime high school coach. Was he simply being hired for his recruiting connections in Louisiana and Mississippi?

“I’ve always considered myself a student of the game,” Wilson said. “To be able to (coach receivers) hands-on at this level is something that I was looking forward to. Spring ball was fantastic.”

Better than that, actually.

Wilson’s receivers were named UT’s most improved offensive group. Senior wideout Quinton Hancock was named one of the team’s two most improved players

To better prepare himself, Wilson met with NFL receiver coaches Curtis Johnson of the New Orleans Saints and Henry Ellard of the New York Jets.

“He’s going to do a great job, no matter what position he coaches, no matter what sport he coaches,” Johnson said.

There were whispers within the SEC that implied that Wilson’s lack of experience coaching collegiate receivers may have hurt UT’s recruiting, especially when the Vols lost out on a handful of top-flight wideouts leading up to National Signing Day.

“It never came up as an issue,” Wilson said. “I think I can speak to it and get on the board and clinic it just as well as anyone else at this level.”

He worked his way to that level by coaching in one of the most talent-rich football areas in the nation. It’s a part of his history he’ll never forget.

Where I Came From

Wilson’s career was exploding when Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana.

He was in the middle of his first SEC preseason camp at Ole Miss when the levees broke in New Orleans.

Now, Wilson uses his position to help those in need — especially those still struggling in New Orleans.

“Some people, they forget where they came from and they move on, whereas Frank is always coming back and giving,” said Emmanuel Powell, the coach at O. Perry Walker. “He’s always coming back and teaching. He’s always sharing the knowledge.

“We’re still rebuilding from Hurricane Katrina. It’s always valuable to have someone with Frank’s character, dedication and hard work to continue to help in the community.”

Such community ties have paid dividends for UT’s recruiting. Defensive tackle Anthony Johnson from O. Perry Walker committed to be a part of UT’s 2011 class.

Powell knows Johnson will be in good hands with Wilson.

“He’s not just about the 40 time,” Powell said. “He’s not just about football. He’s about making you a man.”

The loyalty and respect that New Orleans residents have for Wilson was evident during UT’s football camp this week when 60 prospects and several coaches made the nine-hour drive to Knoxville for a day camp.

They all know that if they commit, they’ll be taken care of — whether they like it or not.

“He’s going to make sure they do the things they’re supposed to do in the classroom,” Johnson said. “Sometimes with teen-aged kids that’s hard. They want everybody to tell them the right things. He’s not going to do that.

“That’s what I respect about him. He’s going to tell those kids some tough things. Some days they’re going to be upset but that’s all right with him because he knows later in life they’re going to respect him for it.”

Wilson didn’t have to sign a college coaching contract to help young men from New Orleans. He did so before he ever left — once with a certain amount of trickery, a case where the ends justified the means.

He handed Johnson the reins of O. Perry Walker minutes before the season-opening jamboree.

Wilson had accepted the Director of Athletics position for all of New Orleans Public Schools but had to be sure that his football team was left in good hands.

“He said I’m not going to coach this game,” Johnson said, recalling the conversation that occurred on the field just before kickoff. “These kids are counting on you. I need you to stay.”

Had Johnson had more warning, he would have left. He didn’t want the often-overwhelming responsibilities of being a head coach.

Wilson wouldn’t have it any other way. Thanks to his short notice, Johnson had no choice. He coached that team and is still coaching and leading young men in New Orleans.

From that staff, Johnson and three other assistants have become head coaches.

“The moral of my story,” Wilson said, “is whenever I’m fortunate enough to get a break, I always try to reach back and pull someone else in to help them get an opportunity.”

Photo with no caption

kiffownsfla writes:

Great read just wished it could of been alot longer! GO VOLS!

ColeTrickle writes:

awesome! keep these stories coming

TommyJack writes:

Good read, Hooker.

txvolsfan writes:

Nice Story, sounds like a great coach

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Good read, Hooker.

TJ...Is name calling necessary!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Jam-up story.

Good luck, corch!

Kiffin_fan writes:

Best of the Best article i've ever read from Hooker... that was awesome Dave.... Keep up the good work and keep us informed about our new coaches... thank you Sir...

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to MagicMan:

LOL>. .that is funny, i don't care who you are ...

Kiffin_fan writes:

U should get a new name.... wait wait wait I got it MagicMan... it should be flushmedownthetoiletman??? has a ring ...

richvol writes:

Hooker...that was one of the best articles the KNS has EVER printed. Thank you for telling us the story behind the man. This is what Vol fans are hungry for and people need to hear what kind of men are now working for their beloved university. My favorite quote was,"he's not just about the 40 time,or football,he's about making you a man".

There is something being built at the Hill. Character,work ethic and talent are coming together to bring Tennessee back to the kind of football power the the General built so many years ago. I am so glad to still be around to see it once again...something we can be proud of for the right reasons. It's never just been about winning to me,it's about building men into winners.

tums writes:

in response to MagicMan:

Haha, that's funny. Its those players those two recruited that beat your Gators last year! Now that is funny!

smashmouth98 writes:

good stuff

rockytopatl writes:

You can tell by what he says and what he has done as a person that Wilson will do a great job as receivers coach. Let's just hope we can find somebody to get them the ball.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to richvol:

Amen, brother. I am way past guessing whether these guys can pull it off the right way so that the program and the student athletes are in synch. They have already proven that to be the case. Now they get to go about building the man. With the coaches they have there is no doubt it will happen. I hope at some point they can incorporate Tony Dungy's organization into their plans.

Building a strong foundation on the rock at Rocky Top!

smokey90 writes:

As a Vol fan, I recently read "Meat Market." Oregon and Wilson do know how to recruit. Look at Ole Miss now with Snead and others that may have not been the highest rated classes, but they are tough enough to beat Florida at home last year. Their ( as well as Gran) recruiting evaluations have nothing to do with internet services. I believe the internet ratings following what Oregon and crew evaluates rather than the coaches following the internet ratings. However, Oregon probably lost the HC job at Ole Miss because of decisions made during the games. In this staff, he will be learning from Monte Kiffin. I believe this was a major reason why Oregon came to Tennessee.

smokey90 writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

Yea I guess proof reading would help.

Voluvr writes:

We have 4 or more possible head coaches on staff. Finally, change I can believe in.

Voluvr writes:

Bill Gates doesn't know jack about marketing, supply chain mgmt., foreign distribution, accounting, manufacturing, osha standards, carbon standards, who cleans the stinking building, etc. So, he surrounds himself with the best in the business and they form a team. Part of the reason that they have changed their game.

Parrallel to Kiffin and what he's done by assembling the best staff in the game. Guys, we have something very special on the horizon.

Voluvr writes:

...and Tennessee fans deserve it.

NoogaVol55 writes:

If anybody read the book Meat Market, this is no surprise. Frank Wilson was portrayed as a stand up coach, recruiter, and more importantly, a stand up person. I think his energy and enthusiasm will benefit our program. The recruiting ties in Louisana doesn't hurt either!

elsinoresam writes:

in response to Kiffin_fan:

LOL>. .that is funny, i don't care who you are ...

Hahaha you are both jerks I don't care who you are.

atomicvet62 writes:

TarHeelRules,
Being a old Navy Seal for a lot of years,I have seen a few men like you,who would run their mouths and try to start BS,but when it came time to back it up ,they wasn't nothing but talk.
It seems to me that you come on this site just to run your mouth and start BS,but I doubt if you could back up all the BS talk.
But being able to hide behind the computer screen and run your mouth on a site that many people enjoy reading,doesn't make you much of a man,and it makes you look like the sissy that you proberly are.
I will never get to meet you and it is proberly a good thing for you that I want,because I could and would teach you a thing or two about respect
So as you hide behind the screen acting like a bad a##,remember you are not impressing anyone,matter of fact you are making yourself look like the fool that you are!!!

old_number1 writes:

orange, TD10, and biggest, that's some funny stuff!!

Voluvr, who does Bill Gates coach for?

Stupid azztroll, any chance this guy could help get rid of you?

smyrnavol writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

any chance you could make any sense just once?

ect1983 writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

No Chance !!! But he certainly could help Butch Davis

old_number1 writes:

in response to Lostballnhighweeds:

Thanks for the info, Lostball. Did you play today?

Orange, why is it that the coach with the best winning record in the SEC gets slammed so much? That's not to mention he steps out of the box to energize the fans about UT basketball!

He's got to be the most dynamic coach UT has ever had (although Mears was pretty cool).

atomicvet62 writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

TarHeelRules "You" need to read my post "TO YOU" earlier.
Every time you come on this Vol site , REMEMBER WHAT I SAID TO YOU.
Navy Seal

old_number1 writes:

in response to TaterVol:

1. Yes, it does make me proud. BTW, Pearl has a better winning percentage than any UT Coach ever. Obviously, this does not make you proud.

2. I thought Phil had class, but I really don't remember him energizing anyone. But I do have enough respect for him to not call him 'fat Phil'. So We see that's two coaches for UT you hate.

3. By admitting the azzhole is right, you show your true colors. (98% of vol posters think he is an idiot). How may Vol coaches have been to 4 straight tourneys?

4. To respond to your question, if Pearl continues the trend of going to the tourney every year for 17 years, the REAL Vol fans will not turn on him!!!

Now, I officially deem you a subversive troll and I will not respond to you again. That's going to make you mad, isn't it?

snafu14u#241639 writes:

I actually remember seeing the broadcast. Did'nt make the connection till I read this article. Very plesed that he is on our side. bonzaivol

hotrodvol writes:

in response to MagicMan:

Butch-is-back

hotrodvol writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

Bama football fan.

ClassicVol (Inactive) writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

He's probably busy. We do have more than one sport here in The SEC.

TommyJack writes:

Is it a snow day at KNS?

jsm67vol writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

No UNC football is much more pathetic than UT BB, we won our division in BB. Has UNC ever won the ACC? UT BB is a program on the rise, unc football is raw sewage!

gvegasvol writes:

Guys...I think we are missing the biggest point of all concerning our UT coaches...intensity, etc is important...but what is most important is Kiffin and Pearl have...beyond a doubt...the best looking wives in all of college sports! That's the important thing!!! We are #1 in coaches wives!!!

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Good read, Hooker.

Certainly among his best efforts.

murrayvol writes:

in response to smokey90:

Yea I guess proof reading would help.

Tell the truth smokey. You were just checking to see if we're alert.

RoadTrip writes:

CBP and teams had winning records head to head against the national championship winning UF teams in 2006 and 2007 while advancing to the tourney each year for the past 4. Notice I said UF of the SEC won the championships those years - not UNC. So the great and mighty media darling ACC has only won the most recent tourney once in the past 4 years. CBP can achieve the next level given time as he has proven he can beat teams at that level with lesser talent on the bench. He is also much younger than Roy Williams, who was able to build his reputation at national power Kansas before being acquired by UNC for major cash. Bruce has had to work his way up the ladder more than Roy. So much for comparison on that sport.

Our #2 sport of basketball is far better than UNC's #2 sport of football. Some could make a legitimate statment that baseball is UNC's #2 sport instead of FB. UNC cannot claim the same comparison as their FB program is mired in the muck of the ACC, not competing for titles consistently in a lesser conference, while the Vol basketbal program has competed at a high level in a conference that won the tourney 2 out of the last 4 years. Those UF team also had a couple of key starters that were from TN that might have come to UT had CBP been HC when they were recruited.

atomicvet62 writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

What is it that you didn't understand about my post,YOU ARE LOOKING LIKE A FOOL,YOU ARE NOT WELCOME ON THIS SITE ! READ MY POST!!!
NOW GO AWAY!!!
Matter of fact, print the post I sent to you and and stick in on your computer screen,read it often and don't forget this is a vol site not a TAR Heel site ,YOU ARE A FOOL AND YOU ARE NOT WELCOME ON THIS SITE!!

old_number1 writes:

in response to RockyMountainVolunteer:

I don't think you got this straight.

1. I never have said anyone that disagrees with me is not a true fan. But i will say that those that refuse to accept fact are ignorent fans.

2. First I would say that you were sitting by the wrong people, but that doesn't excuse your actions. All anyone has to do is check out your past posts to see what a bitter person you are.

3. Yes I've been going to Vol games for 40 years. Bobby Majors was my first Vol hero.

4. Based on your comments, you love the Vols but hate the coaches. Hmmm... does that make any sense?

Let's see. You hate the coaches. You don't believe the facts. You badmouth Vol fans that stand up for the UT COACHES. You agree with the trolls.

You have become what you say you despise!!! You have become a troll!!

I will not respond to you again.
I bet that makes you mad, doesn't it!?

VOLDoll writes:

in response to old_number1:

I don't think you got this straight.

You have become what you say you despise!!! You have become a troll!!

I will not respond to you again.
I bet that makes you mad, doesn't it!?

You sir seem to be the one that is very bitter. You attack people because they post something that you disagree with. My husband and I go to a lot of the games and this gentlemen is right. A lot of fans were questioning our coach last year. Most fans had very high hopes last year and last year was a big let down for a lot of us so a lot of fans did feel angry. That does not mean they are not fans. It just means they are fanatics. I hope you are afforded the opportunity to make some games this year. A lot of us put our heart and soul into the the Vols so relax and enjoy and don't take things so personal.
Fan is short for fanatic so believe me if you are afraid to hear anything negative about the teams or the coaches your best bet is to sit at home because it does happen.

GreyhairedVol writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Young lady, a word of advice.
Ignore old_number 1.
He whines about everyone and everything on here.

TrouserCough writes:

Good on ya

CharlotteVol writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

Pearl needs no help. By the way, thanks for sending us Buzz Peterson - that really worked out well. Just like Jordan here in C-town running the Bobcats...most ex-Tarheels don't do so well after they leave the friendly confines of Chapel Hill.

old_number1 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

You and your new buddy, gray hair, say that I whine. What do you and he do? Look in the mirror.

I haven't said anything bitter about the teams, the coaches, of the future of the teams. But you and gray hair have. So's who is bitter?

I have season tickets, so I am afforded the opportunity to 'make the games'.

Thanks for the English lesson. I never new 'fan' was short for 'fanatic'. Your intellect is astounding!!!

BTW, if I had a dollar for every time someone was attacked by a person that disagreed with them on this board, I would be a zillionaire!!!

old_number1 writes:

in response to robvols:

You got that 'stuff' right!!! Can someone say azzhole??

old_number1

old_number1 writes:

in response to MorristownVOL:

As usual, no one refutes my logic. You are such a dipstick. Meet me at the mellow mushroom 1 hour before the first game if you want to talk to me!!! I'll be there. Anyone else want to come by, feel free!!!

blitzshoot writes:

in response to atomicvet62:

NOW GO AWAY!!!

Atomic,
Don't waste your words on this troll or KNS plant. Unlike you, he/she has no life. Thanks for your service!

atomicvet62 writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

Hey TARBABY,
Maybe you didn't understand my last post to you,so here it is again"YOU ARE NOT WELCOME ON THIS VOL SITE----------
NOW GO AWAY!

GreenDevilVol writes:

You know I find it VERY FUNNY INDEED when a team like the heels reel in the top players year in and year out and only have the few rings to show for it.Dean Smith,Roy Williams, = a PEARL wanna be !!!!! 10,000 ALL AMERICANS 10,000 wins and only 5 titles........

EMBARASING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!