Brunetti commits to West Virginia

Memphis QB calls decision 'solid'

Memphis University School rising senior quarterback Barry Brunetti said Monday evening he has committed to West Virginia, calling his verbal pledge to the Mountaineers "solid."

"One thing about my family, when we give our word, we've got to stick with it," said the 6-0, 208-pound Brunetti, who made a visit to West Virginia over the weekend.

Rivals.com ranks Brunetti, The Commercial Appeal's 2008-09 offensive player of the year, the nation's No. 1 dual-threat quarterback prospect in the Class of 2010. As a junior last season, he accounted for 1,955 total yards and 36 touchdowns (18 passing, 18 rushing), leading MUS to a 13-0 record and the Division 2-AA state title.

Brunetti also had scholarship offers from Chattanooga, Marshall, Mississippi State, Penn State, Purdue, Tulsa and the University of Memphis. He had made unofficial visits to Auburn, Georgia, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Tennessee.

"It feels good," Brunetti said. "Now I can just focus on my senior season and getting ready for another run at a state championship."

chargervol writes:

Okay, he really didn't want to play at Tennessee.

utvols007 writes:

he knew he wouldnt fit in with our pro style offense.....its a shame kiffin wont allow these tremendous athletes/ quarterbacks to run his system. We have given up two great recruits (Brunetti and Taj Boyd) just because Kiffin is so damn stubborn

smashmouth98 writes:

wow, I'm blown away. I thought once he came to camp and got an offer, he would be a Vol. I guess not. Maybe waiting and evaluating longer cost us this time. They like those offers early.
Bring on Scroggins!!!

Orange Swarm,

Reel a QB IN!!!!!!!!!!!

kiffownsfla writes:

Ok kiff we need you to make a move. I say tryn get LAMAISON we need him cupboard thinning for us already.

chargervol writes:

I am confused. Did we offer him a scholly or not? He said it was his dream to be a Vol. He was a fan. Did I miss something? Did the coaches evaluate him and think he was not an SEC quarterback? GO VOLS!!!

FLVol writes:

in response to utvols007:

What are you talking about? He was offered last week officially with a letter from Ed Orgeron.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to chargervol:

My understanding we did offer him early last wk. And I thought it was his life long dream also. so much for dreams I guess lol. GO VOLS!

govols22231 writes:

in response to kiffownsfla:

on rivals it says that he has not been offered by tennessee yet.

tdtnsee writes:

Ok,he was going on and on about getting an offer from Tennessee and when he does he commits to west vir. days later wtf. If he wants to go play Qb in collage in a spread option offense just to waste his talents for the next 4 or 5 years then good luck , you will be lucky to be a reciever in the pros if u can make it. Pat white was a great Qb for them and he will not be a Qb in the NFL.I mean come on what are this kids doing. Qb in the Spread option=reciever in the NFL,maybe!

TarHeelStools writes:

in response to govols22231:

on rivals it says that he has not been offered by tennessee yet.

They would be wrong. It was sent by mail. On another note, how would you like this lawyer to represent the Vols? Gator Hog. MWAAHHAAA.

TarHeelStools writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

Your Mom called. You took her last can of snuff.

CharlotteVol writes:

He may not have been the blue chip QB prospect Kiffin really wants to land. What concerns me more is that this is another high profile recruit out of Memphis who is not enamored with what Kiffin is building. It may be too early to judge whether or not Kiffin can "put a fence around the state of Tennessee", but the staff has some work to do in Memphis for sure.

GO VOLS

CharlotteVol writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

I don't completely disagree with your point, although I think most of these QB's are not what Kiffin is quite looking for - except for the kid who committed to BYU, and he may be going there for religious reasons.

I'm 100% behind Kiffin and Orgeron and company but I'm hoping the buzz changes from pushing the envelope to winning football games.

tree_em_smokey writes:

Im like the rest of you guys i thought he was gonna be a vol. Oh well i trust kiffin to make a good call, not a quick call. Guess coach didnt tell him what he wanted to hear. Go vols!!!

Cherokee writes:

I started to post the other day in the article where Brunetti went on about how awesome it was to get an offer and how he'd been a UT fan his whole life, that something seemed a bit odd. It almost felt like a setup. It just seems awfully strange that the kid would just gush like that and then less than a week later he's taking a scholarship to WV?

pammyvol1000 writes:

Our choices seem to be dwindling! Who is left for 2010?

hotrodvol writes:

Scroggins, Rettig or Hendrix, two of those three will be at UT next fall.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Dont sound like big. He was here today why they ban you lol.

TarHeelStools writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

At least somebody in your family has a pair and can play the game.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to robvols:

Gotcha rob. GO VOLS!

tums writes:

Wow, another tremendous high school athlete who wants to play in obscurity.

kabzs writes:

Don't forget Mike Rozier. At 6'5", 245 lbs, and enrolling at age 24, and a flamethrower at that, we have a super-qualified mature QB on the way. Coach O and CLK know they can be selective and not panic, even if we get no other QB because they already have a Big Stud headed for the stable. His stature perfectly fits the Pro style model.

GO Vols!

txvolsfan writes:

This is a strange turn of events. I will say that he does fit into West Virginia's offense better than the pro style but who knows? If he doesn't want to be a Vol then that his option. We will get a QB and it will be a Pro style QB.
I believe in the Kiff.
In Stones we trust!!!
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN
Good Luck in Morgantown, I couldn't live there!!!

hotrodvol writes:

in response to Cherokee:

Cherokee I kind of felt the same way, and also sometimes these kids try to get the most offers they can for barganing chips. He may very well wanted to go to UWV all the way and just wanted them to come harder for him. Maybe he got a promise out of them, no redshirt, only sign one QB, who knows but that's my guess. Because he is a better fit at UWV running the spread.

87UTVOL writes:

Is Brunetti is a 'scholarship' student at MUS? Make sure and pack a couple of couches on the U-Haul when you set out for Morgantown (for burning, of course). Heck of a town that is. Weird kid for a weird school.

TarHeelStools writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

You missed your calling as a politician. Your ability to be knee deep in BS and try to convince everyone it is daisies is remarkable. Sort of like a used car salesman. BTW, hold your breath on the pushing the envelope until you look like a Smurf in jorts. You can be Snidely Smurf.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Lol Big you da man! yea they get us all every now an again lol! MIX ONE GO VOLS!

JohnyLobo34 writes:

There was talk of an offer to Brunetti; a letter that allegedly said a scholy would be offered soon. BUT... I don't think it ever came. Nick Montana was never offered, so he doesn't count. I was not a fan of Phillip Sims & some of the other QB's committed not long after LK took the Tennessee job. Hendrix looks great on tape; and Rettig is looking more and more, like a keeper. But most of all...I can't see Scroggins going to Florida with all that family in TENNESSEE. Be patient, this will work out. I like Lamison as insurance too. He looks solid, not spectacular, but solid on tape.

TarHeelStools writes:

in response to zrotag:

SignalMtnVol writes:

CharlotteVol writes:

in response to grvol:

I agree with your point about Clawson's weird schemes. Richmond won their division championship without him last year, which makes you wonder if he was truly the brains behind that team all those years...

Let's hope Kiffin can create a USC-style offensive set that can play at the same level that his Dad's defense is going to play!! GO VOLS!

1manningfan writes:

Eat it Bama and SEC! Go Vols!!!

dvols writes:

no problem, but...west virginia????

im just sayin

oh my bad..his last name was what...

CharlotteVol writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

Although I will admit, it has been nice to have a coach willing to lay it out there. I loved Fulmer but often wanted him to mix it up a little bit.

Ya gotta love SEC football - tell me what other conference is dishing this type of smack talk in the middle of June?!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

Your 'head' coach is a real disgrace

24 players arrested since 2005 and counting.

Notice this comment in the Salt Lake Tribune "He has been known to stretch rules and recruiting ethics before,"

He's a BLANTANT CHEATER - this isn't a secondary violation like playing music when recruits enter a stadium --

That's why the the Gators haven't signed a top QB in 2010 and are settling for Trey Burton.

RaineyVol writes:

I am tired of all this pro style offense stuff......the last time we won a National Championship what kind of QB did we have????????????

CharlotteVol writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Great point tweet - the only thing a QB prospect has to go on right now is CLK's track record at USC. Granted that ain't a bad starting point, but as HC every QB knows they aren't going to have much 1-on-1 tutoring from him.

I actually think the best thing that can happen to us for recruiting future QB's is for Crompton to come out and look solid. He doesn't have to outplay Tebow or anything like that, just look like he knows what he is doing out there (something he didn't do last year for sure!). If CLK can make Crompton look like a decent QB, more guys will be waiting on the UT offer to come in.

Slystone writes:

There is probably more behind his reason not to go to UT. We may never know. Either way the fence Kiffin has talked about is not cloaked around Memphis. This is a big loss for the Vols because the Memphis kids are still not overly impressed in wanting to go there. UT needs a QB and there aren't too many left. Scroggins is being heavily courted by the Gators. Hendrix is enamored by the Irish and Rettig would be coming a long way away. Time for that million dollar staff to get to work.

TonyGeist writes:

in response to zrotag:

HAHAHAHAH.
That is effing HILARIOUS!
Oh my god, that is by far the FUNNIEST thing I have EVER heard in my ENTIRE life!
Wow, you must be pals with Judd Apatow to make those kind of jokes!

CharlotteVol writes:

in response to jcherrie#219531:

Your 'head' coach is a real disgrace

24 players arrested since 2005 and counting.

You gotta wonder why the top QB prospects are not knocking down the door in Gainesville. Perhaps Meyer's reputation as a coach of QB's isn't that great. Consider:

Utah - Alex Smith - a flop in the NFL
FL - Chris Leak - highly regarded in high school, average in college, now out of football;
FL - Tim Tebow - has done it all at the college level, but how much of his success comes from Meyer's coaching versus what he was capable of the day he arrived?

I hope the Gators enjoy this last year with Tebow, because something tells me they are coming back down to earth and hard after this year...

chargervol writes:

Anybody that would want to play for WVU is out of their mind. Their fans have absolutely NO CLASS! Any team that has fans so cold with no feelings for life changing events, such as the plane crash of the Marshall University football team, is just low. Marshall played WVU in a football game, and the WVU fans wore T-shirts that had "THE PLANE IS NOT THE ONLY THING THAT'S GOING TO CRASH AND BURN". Can you imagine if your teams plane had crashed and claimed the lives of your coaches and players and a rival school's fan base showed up with derrogatory statements on their T-shirts. I believe you would be more than a little upset. I pull for Marshall everytime they play them hillbillies. Anywho, GO VOLS!!!

OrangePower11 writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

haha touche!

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Holy phooey!!! I never saw this coming!!

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to pammyvol1000:

Our choices seem to be dwindling! Who is left for 2010?

They are. The glass is starting to look half empty or half full depends on the tint of your glasses. Go Vols

1manningfan writes:

New team on top in the SEC all time!

Eat it Bama and SEC! Go Vols!!!

rclarkfork#639958 writes:

in response to DCflorida3:

You act as though you know who is ready to play and contribute at what level. College coaches have been trying for generations to come up with a way to know who is ready and who isn't. Heck, just ask you. You know everything. LOL...you make a bigger joke of yourself every time you make a post.

volfan2002 writes:

Brunetti is a strange dude. I mean he jumps at an offer from W.Va. after doing a lot of talking about being a Tennessee fan, etc. Real strange dude IMO.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

I believe in the Kiff.
In Stones we trust!!!
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN
Good Luck in Morgantown, I couldn't live there!!!

When was the last time a QB from a NC college team became a good pro QB? It has been almost forever. Do we want to train pro QB's or win championships. You remember what type of QB in the modern era the Vols had when we won in 98. Just saying.

teampenny#658108 writes: