Maze delivers 42 points, 12 assists

Bobby Maze was money for First Tennessee in the Pilot Rocky Top League on Wednesday night, scoring 42 points and dishing out 12 assists in a winning effort.

The Tennessee point guard scored the game-winning basket with 9.7 seconds left, lifting First Tennessee (2-0) to a 119-117 victory over Richardson Construction (1-1).

"Coach (Bruce) Pearl said to work on our defense out here, and that's one thing I'm trying to do,'' said Maze, who forced key turnovers against Tyler Smith and Josh Tabb in the closing minutes. "A lot of people say I underachieved last year, but those people don't know me.

"It's my senior year, and I'm laying it all on the line.''

But Richardson Construction rallied behind Smith's 28 points - 16 of them coming in the final 13 1/2 minutes.

"Tyler is a competitor, and you have to play him hard,'' said Maze, who had a hard foul on Smith at midcourt with the game in the balance.

Tabb added 22 points for Richardson Construction.

Chattanooga’s Ricky Taylor and former Maryville standout Raul Placeres had 18 apiece for First Tennessee.

News Sentinel 106, ChoiceSpine 101: Scotty Hopson scored 44 as the News Sentinel (2-0) rallied from a 10-point deficit against ChoiceSpine (0-2).

Cameron Tatum recorded a triple-double for ChoiceSpine, scoring 37 points, dishing out 13 assists and pulling down 12 rebounds.

Former UT player C.J. Black, now 31, scored 15 points for Choice Spine while holding UT's Brian Williams to 17 points.

ChoiceSpine coach Rick Campbell noted that one of Williams key contributions was eavesdropping on his half-time talk.

"I told our team our plan, we were going to zone to star t the second half,'' Campbell said. "And I look over, and Brian had been lying down near where we were talking and listening. Then he tried to sneak off without us seeing him - but he's hard to miss.''

Lincoln Memorial’s Cam Carden had 20 points on 6-of-9 shooting beyond the 3-point arc and East Tennessee State’s Mike Smith had 19 points.

HT Group 119, Ray's ESG 113: Wayne Chism scored a game-high 36 points for HT Group.

Ray's ESG (0-2), led by C.J. Watson's 31 points, rallied from a 71-59 halftime deficit to tie the score at 75-75 on a Ron Slay basket with 16:54 left.

But Watson and Jon Higgins (15 points) outside shooting abandoned the team as HT Group pulled away with Boo Jackson scoring 25 for HT Group (1-1).

Chism was the difference, going 11-for-11 in the first half from the floor and 14 for 17 in the game.

"It's a more competitive league, and I'm working on what I've been practicing,'' said Chism, who has been noticeably more competitive this summer. "I'm working on taking it off the dribble and my mid-range jumper.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Good stuff boys! I like to see the fire in Maze. A little less 'tude would go a long way, but I've got a feeling we'll see more performances like this from him next season.

Phowell23 writes:

Wow, everytime I see a UT basketball article I see this troll named TarHeelRules post something classy about Coach Pearl. Sounds like this guy has as much of a man crush on Pearl as the Florida Gators have on Kiffin.

Bigger_Al writes:

TarHeelRules is a frustrated cheating Illini fan. The Illini have broken NCAA rules in every conceivable sport, and he, like the slack-jawed Bama fans, doesn't like anyone calling him out on his unabashed cheating.

I was so for the Tar Heels when they stomped the bejeezus out of Illinois!

Bruce Weber stinks as a coach, and the Cheating Illini will be stuck with him for a while. Watch his record decline below mediocrity after Bill Self had the good sense to leave that cheating cesspool of a program!

FLAVOLS writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

Tardheel is up past his bedtime.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

Hey Mike G:

This is a horrible sentence:

"Maze's 3-pointer just before the half brought First Tennessee within 56-55, and led by as many as eight in the second half."

I would go with something like the following for the print version (if this goes to print):

"Maze's 3-pointer just before the half brought First Tennessee within one at 56-55, and Maze's First Tennessee squad led by as many as eight in the second half."

Otherwise, thanks for the update.

old_number1 writes:

in response to IBleedOrange444:

Hey Mike G:

This is a horrible sentence:

Otherwise, thanks for the update.

You will drive yourself crazy correcting these high school recruits!!

ZR writes:

Cameron Tatum scores 38 points and had a triple double? Maze drops in 42 points? I cannot wait until the official round ball next year!

Wait. Didn't Tatum average 40+ points last year in the Rocky Top league? How'd that work out? When are we going to beat Kentucky?

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to long_vol:

" Your Right" B.Maze has been a 2 -guard mos tof his life. He switched to PG @ Patterson Prep.

askUncleMaze writes:

I said it all last year & Im going to say it this year. Please turn B.Maze loose. WE need a 3rd scorer out there.. The only way UT is going far is if they go back to full court press defense & running the floor... WE CAN'T TAKE HIM OUT THE GAME EVERY 4 MINUTES. DON'T NO OTHER STARTING PG IN DIV.-1 COME OUT OF THE GAME AS MUCH AS HE DO..

smyrnavol writes:

in response to FLAVOLS:

Tardheel is up past his bedtime.

yeah. reminds me of my 15 year old son. schools out, so he gets to stay on the computer longer. kids will be kids.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

in response to TarHeelRules:

awwww someone didn't do their Yoga.

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to supersmo18:

On the Bench with CBP.. Pay attention you cant replace a PG with a 3-guard & expect to win... J.Tabb is a 3-guard. I like J.Tabb thats my man (100 grand). But he is not a PG..

sks writes:

71-59 halftime score. That is ridiculous. I guess I should not expect better defense when the real season gets here.

b_neas writes:

in response to askUncleMaze:

With all due respect.....that is Pearls system....Chris Lofton came out plenty.....Pearl expects eac player to play such hard defense and run the ball up the court that there is no way you can play without coming out to get a rest

Volin68 writes:

No responses to tarhole

Volunatic writes:

I'd really like to see some evidence that they are attempting to play defense in the RTL.
I'm worried that guys are developing bad habits by playing in this offense-only mindset.

kiffownsfla writes:

I guess if maze is gonna turn it on he should start. and he probally stripped tyler of the ball in the middle of a cartwheel in the paint goin for a 1foot jump shot lol

Waynesworld writes:

Its good to finally hear something from Chism. He has increased his average by approximately 4 points a year so im expecting 17. Put that with Smiths contribution of 17 and a quadrupled increase from Scotty should turn out good for the Vols... Put on

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to b_neas:

Rest.. Give me a break.. Please show me another PG in D1, who comes out of the game every 4 min. I got all the games on Tivo. IN the first half @ the 16:00 min mark. B.Maze is subed for a 3-guard. Leave him in the game like T.Smith & JP Prince. I would have JP Prince on the bench the way He screw's up...

gmoneyvol writes:

in response to supersmo18:

My guess is that the defense in the Rocky Top league stinks.

gmoneyvol writes:

in response to smyrnavol:

lol.... unemployed teenager with no girlfriend = Internet troll.