After finishing UT camp, Scroggins says he has not committed

How important is it for Jesse Scroggins to wind up at Tennessee?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Quarterback Jesse Scroggins maintained he is not committed to play football for Tennessee despite persistent speculation to the contrary.

“I’m loving the trip actually,” the 6-foot-3, 195-pound Scroggins from Lakewood (Calif.) High School said following UT’s camp on Saturday. “This is my mother’s home state. That gave them (the Vols) an advantage a little but I have not committed yet.”

The trip was Scroggins’ first to Knoxville. Scroggins visited Florida this week before traveling to UT. He maintained that he is still “wide open” concerning his college decision but it was clear UT had made a strong impression and likely vaulted into the lead.

Scroggins will stay in Knoxville until Sunday before flying home to Southern California. If Scroggins stays true to his plan, UT will have the final say in his recruitment.

“I don’t plan to commit on any of these trips,” Scroggins said. “I’m thinking next week or something. I’ve still got to go back and evaluate and talk to my coach, tell him how I feel and talk to my parents.”

Much of Scroggins decision could hinge on UT’s evaluation of his cousin: receiver Jerry Anderson from Houston High School in Germantown. Anderson was at UT’s camp on Saturday.

“We used to play together when we were like five and six (years old) and we’ve been trying to hook up since, but it hasn’t really worked out yet,” Anderson said. “Hopefully Tennessee can make that happen.”

Anderson said he has scholarship offers from Duke, Ole Miss, Purdue, Indiana and Middle Tennessee State. He said he was hoping for a UT offer before the end of the day on Saturday.

“I haven’t seen him in four years,” Scroggins said of his cousin. “Working out with him was a great thing. I’m hoping they offer him.”

UT has family on its side in Scroggins’ recruitment. He has several family members living in Memphis. That sense of family carried over to Scroggins’ trip to Knoxville.

“It’s more like a family feeling,” Scroggins said. “It felt like I already knew them (UT fans) but I didn’t know them. Everything felt good.”

Scroggins certainly felt at home when he saw “The Rock” painted orange and white with “Scroggins = T Championships”. “The Rock” is a minivan-sized stone close to the athletic complex that is often painted with university-related messages.

“I came here and my name was on this big rock,” Scroggins said with a wide smile. “That’s very impressive. I felt welcome, very welcome.”

Scroggins spent much of his time in Knoxville with UT coach Lane Kiffin.

With only one scholarship quarterback slated to be on the roster following the 2009 season, UT is in desperate need of a quarterback for its 2010 signing class.

“Down to earth guy,” Scroggins said describing Kiffin. “We kid around about stuff. He’s real cool.”

Scroggins will take part in a camp at Southern California next weekend in which six quarterbacks will take part in a skills competition.

“Whoever does the best this week gets an offer on the spot,” Scroggins said, reciting what he has been told by USC coaches.

Yet an offer doesn’t mean Scroggins is certain to pick the Trojans, even though USC’s campus is less than 20 miles from Scroggins’ home.

“This process is almost over,” Scroggins said. “(They) kind of waited.”

Scroggins is widely considered one of the best pro-style quarterbacks in the nation, although he has more athletic ability than many of his pocket passing counterparts.

That was on display during some of UT’s footwork drills. Scroggins’ strong arm was best showcased during UT’s one-on-one and seven-on-seven drills.

Scroggins said he was impressed with some of the UT players he met on his trip, namely tailback Bryce Brown and defensive end Chris Walker.

“The trip has been fun,” Scroggins said. “I got to work out in the camp and the coaches have showed me around and gave me love.”

Related Stories

Related Links

rockytopatl writes:

Offer his cousin, offer his mother if you have too. We need this guy!

beatlecakes writes:

The rock will be the "I am sold" factor!

gohawks1 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Offer his cousin, offer his mother if you have too. We need this guy!

Yep. Put grandmaw on the D-line if you have to. Just get this guy.

kiffownsfla writes:

Kiff if you need to offer the cousin id do it we need WR's also they need to try and land this guy usc has qb's matt barkley is the next top qb there.

Digger writes:

Welcome home, Jesse! You are a Vol and you know it! Let's start bringing some championships back to Good Ole Rocky Top!

Ironcity writes:

This is a great opportunity for the kid. I hope he takes the leap. Not often can one come in and almost be guaranteed to play by his second season. It sounds like we will know in 10 days.

kiffownsfla writes:

I never heard them say how he liked flas camp did any of you?

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

Jesse come to Knoxville and lead us back to the promised land! You can write your ticket for the rest of your life in this state if you do!

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to Agent_Orange:

Is Rettig at camp to?

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Welcome Jesse, It's great to be a VOL!!!!

Volfan4everandaday writes:

I cant find anything on this Jerry Anderson kid. Can anyone help out?

spvol writes:

And just to beat the interlopers to the punch: "Florida didn't want him anyway".

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

in response to Volfan4everandaday:

I cant find anything on this Jerry Anderson kid. Can anyone help out?

He would look good in orange if you ask me.

rootin4volz writes:

This is the guy. Come on Scroggins! Pick UT!!

UTVol39 writes:

I'm sure we could convince Dupree to give up his spot for Scroggins cousin.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Ignore

PumpUptheVOLume writes:

in response to Volfan4everandaday:

I cant find anything on this Jerry Anderson kid. Can anyone help out?

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

I think fugate will do great bob and I will be glad when the ncaa steps in and tells these kids national signing day is the deadline you sign or dont play period! To many showboaters now days!

DennisVols writes:

UF reported 2 secondary violations involving recruiting. maybe Kiffin wasn't lying after all.

UTVol39 writes:

Not overly impressed with Jerry, not bad but nothing special IMHO; but I say if it gets Scroggins here...offer him.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Did you take Dupree to any of the camps?

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to zrotag:

ZEROTAG IT DONT MATTER WHO WE GET WE ARE GONNA BEAT THE H3LL OUT OF U GIRLS ANY WAY! GET IN THE WAY AND YOU WILL BE RUN OVER TO STFU ! I WILL BE SO GLAD WHEN YOUR AZZ GETS FLUSHED YOUR NOT EVEN HUMAN LOL!

HtownVol writes:

One of the best pro style QBs in the country and with the athletic ability he has I would love to see him in orange!

UTVol39 writes:

I think we should have TDTN and Dupree take him on a fishin trip down by the sewage treatment plant. If that doesn't sell him on UT, nothin will.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Dennis they didnt say who that urban contacued but 3wks ago they was saying he called scroggins lol so id say thats one of them.

givehim6 writes:

Sounds to me like Scroggins is more interested in getting his cousin recruited then signing with UT. Hope Scroggins isn't using his cousin as a bargaining chip.

PepperGrinder (Inactive) writes:

in response to UTVol39:

I agree. He does have a big frame though. That video didnt do him justice. It was mostly 5 yard passes and I wanted to see how he used his size down the field.

UTVol39 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Just don't let Dupree change the battery again. Last time he slipped and fell, dropped the battery on his head which then fell through the bottom of the boat putting a hole in it.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to givehim6:

6 thats what im thinkin myself and the more i think about it the more im against it. if that be the case let him go else where I say.We will get a qb one way or another may be one they have to coach up but thats what they get paid to do.

MrKnoxville writes:

in response to spvol:

But they are going Pro-Style this year...wait next year...wait I thought the Spread was the only offense...wait what are they doing?

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Yes Bob my friend we are and though a great qb would be great screens and slants and the elite stable of rb's and the new strength coach AA and of course the D will prove to be great. I look for UT to strike hard and fast this year and set the tempo and our D to keep thegators offense benched in the swamp!

Huttdawg100 writes:

This guy can make all the throws, and he has the ability to escape when needed; this will be extremely necessary when playing against SEC defenses. This IS Kiffin's guy. Kiff and Coach O need to close him ASAP. I was checking him out on YouTube, and this guy can PLAY Football. Plus, I'd heard about Jerry Anderson on Sports 560 AM here in Memphis; they spoke highly of his skills, and they think he is a NFL caliber talent. I wouldn't just offer Anderson a Scholarship just for Scroggins: I'd offer Anderson a scholarship because he can play and we need wide receivers. Coach Kiffin needs to both of these kids signed.

sameolvolalum writes:

Good job---most of my fellow Vol fans---for not responding to the Trolls. BBob. Don't let her get to you. Responding only reposts its idiocy. UT has a far superior business school over uf. As for med school, UT's not really up there. I'd say CLK ought to tell Scroggins we'll sign his cousin and him at the same time. Both or neither. The guy must be pretty good and you know they'll play catch 'til the cows come home. Isn't that rock a good idea? It certainly helped Bryce Brown sign up to the Orange.

MrKnoxville writes:

in response to zrotag:

Damage done....on purpose or not.....pot calling the kettle black.....karma is a motterfokker...DCGator and you in action....now we know why you don't have teeth in your video:

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

We need this kid!

TommyJack writes:

Can't wait for the Ignore feature to be activated.

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to zrotag:

What truth would that be?

walter1998 writes:

I for one like reading alternative views on all boards. Not sure why so many of you want a kumbyah site. Oh well, to each his/her own.

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to walter1998:

Alternate views are fine. Straight out BS is not.

Voluvr writes:

Looks like we just picked up a receiver.

walter1998 writes:

in response to ChurchHillVol67:

Alternate views are fine. Straight out BS is not.

Looks like sparing and jabbing to me. No harm there. But if we are this soft and easy to rile up, what will happen if the wheels come off again?

I certainly hope the skin on the players is thicker than our fan base.

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Voluvr:

Looks like we just picked up a receiver.

Who?

redhorsevol writes:

in response to zrotag:

seems urban sent his coaches to jim chaney to learn his offence. they can see it 1st hand 10/19.

VolFanNC writes:

Scroggins has been the best on the list and probably best in the nation this year. Would be huge get and start really bringing in some WR talent.

I am not sure that FL is competition in this one. Sounds like TN has the lead currently, but my biggest worry seems to be USC. I am a little worried that if he gets that USC offer, he will commit on the spot.

Interesting that Scroggins put that about his cousin in the press. If I am not mistaken, it is a violation to do package deals, so the staff better do a thorough eval...

tennrich1 writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

Not to be disagreeable but the UT med school system takes a back seat to no one.....the university medical centers in this state are trend-setters...

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Yeah I got it. Walter = Troll

volfan7 writes:

Six foot three inches tall and 195 pounds is a true NFL pocket passer if I ever saw one. I wish he were a little taller and a little heavier. I hope he chooses Tennessee.

Volfan7
(Formerly philfan)

utmdm writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Can't wait for the Ignore feature to be activated.

is it going to be by poster so it will cut the size of these blogs by 2/3 and make it easier to read?

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to walter1998:

I certainly hope the skin on the players is thicker than our fan base.

Walter im still tryin to figure out who your a fan of ? Im being serious to?Its all good I think maybe lamaison will sign now I think he can help us this year whats your opions? even yov zzz lol ? GO VOLS MIX ONE!

utmdm writes:

in response to walter1998:

Dont mind alternative views, but with few "lopers" that keep reappearing with name changes, it always ends up in juvenile rahashing of the same meaningless junk.