Georgia-Tennessee weekend takes on added importance

How important is it for Jesse Scroggins to wind up at Tennessee?

See the results »

View previous polls »

The UT-Georgia weekend is growing into a monumental recruiting event.

Quarterback Jesse Scroggins is expected to take his official visit to Knoxville that weekend. If he makes the trip, it won't likely be to evaluate the Vols; it will be to help UT recruit.

Scroggins has said he will make a decision soon and seems to be leaning heavily toward UT, even though he has declined to name a leader. If Scroggins does select another school, it seems unlikely he'd take an official visit to UT.

UT defensive end commitment Jacques Smith from Ooltewah High School said he also will take his official visit for the Georgia game on Oct. 10. Smith is doing all he can to make the weekend a big one for UT.

"That will just bring the bond of the group together," Smith said after the Vols' camp concluded on Saturday. "If more commitments come, when they see that, they'll want to join in too. That's the whole thing, being one. Tennessee is a family.

"Coach Orgeron really talks about that a lot, how the D-line does everything together. If you bring that to recruiting, more people will come."

Of UT's nine commitments, seven are projected to play defense. Smith believes a quarterback - namely Scroggins - could provide some momentum for offensive prospects.

"That's all we need is a quarterback," Smith said. "That will spark the offensive recruiting."

tngivem6 writes:

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

tngivem6 writes:

Sounds like alot of recruits enjoyed their time at camp this weekend..
I remember Coach Majors saying this new staff ran practice the way its supposed to be run..
Coach K is really bringing in the play makers..or will soon anyways
as soon as JS commits..
How many more days till W. KY?

ctownvol writes:

I can only hope Mark Richt is a broken-hearted, beat-down, shell of a man after that day. I hate that guy! Plus if he is in that kind of shape after the game then our Vols will certainly be singing Rocky Top all through the night.

Cherokee writes:

in response to tngivem6:

Sounds like alot of recruits enjoyed their time at camp this weekend..
Coach K is really bringing in the play makers..or will soon anyways
as soon as JS commits..
How many more days till W. KY?

I'm excited about the potential for the future of this program.

That said, I wouldn't put much stock in anything Majors says. He is bitter toward Fulmer and has spent many years now spewing venom rather than allowing time to heal things. He is by no means an objective source.

Irwin_Linker writes:

Any chance Scroggins is already a silent commit? KNS staff seems to think we are the leader, Scroggins wording in the article yesterday made him sound all vol as well. That sure would be nice.

tdtnsee writes:

Let's go JS commit baby. We need you here. Be the face of UT football. You commit others will follow that's what all the offensive guys are waiting for to see what direction were going in. GO VOLS!!!!!!

Snapshot writes:

in response to zrotag:

who cares?

in response to zrotag:

Off topic.

kiffownsfla writes:

Vol fans isn't it great that our rival fans spent thier whole fathers day worried about the BEAT DOWN OUR VOLS WILL PUT ON THEM! They can crawfish all they wont but they are SCARED TO DEATH HAY ZZZ PUTT PUTT! LMFAO GO VOLS! AND BLINDERS GO BACK TO BEIN HOGGMOLLY IT FITS YOUR FAT AZZ BETTER LOL TATA BIOTCHES !

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

I certainly hope you are right. Hopefully, after we beat UGA that weekend, he will be fired on the spot. Or maybe he can make it til the Florida game and DC will throw one of his famous D cells at him. Not that I condone that sort of thing, but I don't condone much of anything DC does or says.

belayvol writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

No. This is the guy that they are hoping will cause the domino effect for other offensive stars to get on board. Him being a silent would make no sense.

pammyvol1000 writes:

Yep.. and hope they run into Marlon Brown. If Scroggins commits.. what about that other kid Hendrix..

smyrnavol writes:

in response to kiffownsfla:

think i figured them out. their names are lewis and gilbert. you may have seen them in an old movie, revenge of the nerds. they wear yellow jumpsuits, and walk around with their computers(didn't say laptops) strapped to their chests. pretty sure thats how they spew all the their bullshart 24/7. just a thought. GO VOLS!

panties4tebow writes:

Go get a fresh pair of panties z..........you got zapped!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!

kiffownsfla writes:

Got our first 2011 commitment eric maclain 6ft5 267lbs tight end he got mvp at camp its on volquest. GO VOLS

panties4tebow writes:

zrotag AKA gatorz got a new pair of panties for Fathers Day. Give him a salute by raising your middle finger!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smyrnavol writes:

in response to smokeydog:

know where you got your name, cause you smoke some good stuff bro.glad i can crack you up, but sorry i am not, nor have i been your buddy zotan, zataran, or whatever. good try. better luck next time. oh yeah if this doesn't make sense i'll type slow...... G.O V.O.L.S!!

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Yea i can talk with 99 he shoots straight. got that 2011 commitment. GO VOLS!

gatorzwearstebowpanties writes:

in response to zrotag:

The one win will be against the Gators
Bwahahahaha

in response to zrotag:

No. Your imbecilic drivel gets here immediately.

belayvol writes:

Good material has no expiration date.

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Good points Marc. I was thinking along the same lines. I sent a message to you in your inbox on the other "site"

in response to marc_ash#231781:

It comes from a couple of face to face encounters with the guy. I live here in the middle of bulldog country. Let's just say he's not the super nice 'aw shucks' kinda guy he seems to be. At least he wasn't towards my step-son and myself. A real jerk!

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to zrotag:

So after the second win the team is headed to your house for a gang... oh, I get it.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to zrotag:

Bet you thought Ole Miss was a guaranteed win last year, didn't ya?

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to smokeydog:

Hope you're not getting mad at my new username. It's just that the lopers insist it's a dynasty. Just pointing out that it's over.

RockinTop writes:

I enjoy coming here and reading the updates.....but I sure wish you guys would ingnore those that seek to only pull your chain. Ignore them guys/gals....I am tired of sifting through them just to read some good insights.

Now....I do hope we land this guy. I have watched film on him and his zip on the ball really is something to see. Have you see the clip over at wearesc?....

It would be defintely exciting to get him.

Oh yeah....and let the others be over confident about their team....hopefully their players have the mindset of a "guaranteed win"....nothing is more dangerous....and prosperous for the other team.

Frankly, I am really excited about it all. I am optimistic about what these coaches can accomplish.....has anyone noticed that all the prospect are saying nearly the same thing...."it is really competitive".....imagine what game day is going to be like....I figure some people are going to be looking out their ear holes ;-)

GO BIG ORANGE!

tennezz writes:

They throwed the baby away and raised the after-birth when zrotag was born!!!

MidTennVol writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Mark Richt is probably the classiest coach in SEC football. As a Vol fan, I personally have the utmost respect for him, even though I want to clobber his teams.

Tenn_Dawg writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Yeah...they were unable to run the offense alright. Only to the tune of 458 yards at 5.7 yards a play. Jeez it is one thing to say the game would have been closer if UT's offense wasn't so inept, which I agree it would have, but to say that UGA “was unable to run their offense" was an idiotic statement. If anything Stafford’s bone head 2 INTs going in for scores is the only thing that keep UT from getting their doors blown off. Plus I remember it was the only game in which a back (Moreno) ran for more than a 100 against UT’s defense in 2008. Eric Berry did have the hit of the year though on Moreno. That guy is a total STUD.

The 2009 game should be a good game. It sounds like the atmosphere will be high energy. I think UT will come into this game with one loss against UF. Although I feel that game will be much closer than most expect. UT should be much improved on offence, especially if Crompton plays to his potential. It will be interesting to see what Bryce Brown will do. He is a great looking back. I am looking for UT’s defense to be stout as usual and the offense to be serviceable to pretty good depending on the QB play. Georgia will not have the star power on offense but an older and deeper offense line should help mitigate that plus I am looking for the Georgia defense to be much better. It can’t get any worse.

Team Statistics (Final)
2008 Georgia Bulldogs Football
Tennessee vs #10 Georgia (Oct 11, 2008 at Athens, Ga.)

GA

Passing Touchdowns.......... 1
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 458
Average Gain Per Play....... 5.7
Possession Time............... 42:04

TommyJack writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

Not so sure, Bum. May be a streak of hypocrisy running under his skin.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Rok_Etop:

WOW!

On topic,that weekend is always big since we keep trying to pluck good 'berrys' from there.

in response to MidTennVol:

You call him classy. I call him a self-serving, pompass, no-class s.o.b. I have the same respect for Mark Richt as I do for a steaming pile of mule dung or as much as zrotag. Same thing, except the mule dung is smarter. I have personal reasons for feeling this way about Coach Richt. He is not the classy, uber-christian coach he plays on tv.

in response to TommyJack:

Not so sure, Bum. May be a streak of hypocrisy running under his skin.

Good call TJ. Not so much a streak, but a deep valley.

hueypilot writes:

in response to ctownvol:

I like Richt, cause we've had pretty good luck slipping up on him and beatin' him. That whipping we put on them in Athens in 2006 was really nice. And again in 2007. I also think that Richt has done less with more, (possibly except Phil) than anybody in the SEC. Lots of great players and lots of middle of the road teams. So let's keep Mark in Athens.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to Cherokee:

I'm excited about the potential for the future of this program.

I agree wholeheartedly.

in response to hueypilot:

I agree. The beat-downs in 06 and 07 were wonderful. I also agree he does way less with way more. So yeah. Let's keep him in Athens. I just HATE that guy.

Tenn_Dawg writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Well BIPOLAR if I was to make a stupid comment about UT not really whipping UGA in 2007 or 2006 I would expect to get corrected but we or should I say you were not talking about 2007 or 2006. Try to stay on topic..your comment made reference to the 2008 game so that is what I responded to. "Super sized head loser QB" and "NoShow Moreno"....those comments right there along with the spelling of "VOLZ" gave me some insight into what type of person I'm responding to. Pull your pants up, put the ball cap on the way it was intended to be worn and quit trying to be so gangsta. I gots to go chek wit me boyz back at da crib. Peace out..BIPOLAR.

in response to Tenn_Dawg:

And the fact that you can't spell one of the easiest words in the English language tells me a lot about your iq. It's a dog. I bet you bark in public too. Don't you?

EB4Heisman writes:

in response to Navalorange:

any one who honestly thinks we are going to go 4-8 is ridiculous. We couldve won 7-8 last year with some offense

Tenn_Dawg writes:

in response to ctownvol:

No ctownvol..I hate the barking and think it is stupid. I wished some of our fans didn't do it but oh well.

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Piece of advice. Never argue with or take seriously anything said by a person who misspells a 3 letter word on purpose. It's just not worth it. With that small of an iq they never know when they're whipped.

in response to Tenn_Dawg:

Ok then. I will take back some of the mean-spirited things I said. If we can agree on that then maybe you aren't such a bad dude. I apologize.

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Why the change of screen nmaes?

Tenn_Dawg writes:

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

Yeah your right. I don't know who you are but you do sound like a wannabe. Go back and read your posts..all of them. Talking about hitting a coach in the head with a orange, calling 19-20 year olds names and beating your chest about how you hate this and that. The Bipolar name is making sense now.

BTW..I live in Tennessee b/c I like it. The Nooga is a great place to live and raise a family.
Knoxville is a good place as well. UT has a great football program, great players and tradition but if I follow your lead I should really be saying UT sucks, their players are thugs and I can't wait to hit Kiffin in the head with a dog bone!

in response to Tenn_Dawg:

Stop the presses. I think Tenn_dog(sorry but I can't spell it that way) might be a respectable uga poster. My apologies for starting off on the wrong foot with you dude.

in response to BIPOLAR_BEAR:

It happens. It happens to the gator lopers once a week, but that doesn't seem to deter them at all. They just come right back and make up even more identities. They each have like 5 or 6 now. Hard to keep up.

Tenn_Dawg writes:

in response to ctownvol:

No apology needed. I have read some of your post before referring to the spelling of Dawg so I know it you don't particularily like it.

As far as your encounter with CMR.....that is very unfortunate. I have never meet him but from what I know it would seem to be out of character but it would not surprise me if he was a jerk. I think most coaches and players are to some degree.

TD_4_UT writes:

Of course the Georgia game will be important this year, it is every year. Especially with recruits in the stands but having said that I think it's not so much that we win (I hope we do), but it's how you compete in the game. If you're in the game til the end and get beat by 3 I don't think ti has that much affect on a recruit's decision. If you have the ball 10 times 3 and out and a defense dog tired, now that could have a large impact on a recruit's decision. To compete, that was what was so lacking last year(except for EB). GO VOLS!!!!