Kiffin likes what he's hearing about summer workouts

Lane Kiffin can’t coach his players at this time of year, but his older players can.

Subsequently, those upperclassmen report back to Tennessee’s first-year head coach about off-season workouts. And so far, the reports have been good.

Kiffin said his team often spends four hours a day lifting and running, then hold a pseudo-practice that includes one-on-one drills, seven-on-sevens and even some team periods.

“It’s very critical to create an environment where you don’t have to do it, but you want to,” Kiffin said Wednesday on the News Sentinel’s radio show, The Sports Page. “That’s where they are right now.”

Reports have also been good on UT’s highly touted freshman class.

“We’re hearing some great things from our older players,” Kiffin said. “They do a good job of fitting them (freshmen) in and learning the stuff. It’s going to be interesting to see - especially on offense - to get some of those playmakers involved immediately.”

Topping the list of potential, young playmakers are tailback Bryce Brown and receiver Nu’Keese Richardson.

Kiffin said Brown has already established himself thanks, in part, to moving to Knoxville a month before summer school began. Brown is already 218 pounds.

“They say it looks like he has been here for a couple of years already,” Kiffin said. “Nu’Keese has come in right away, and they say he has had an immediate impact and has done a great job in our offense.”

UT fans have heard that kind of talk before only to be disappointed when a freshman finds more bench time than playing time.

Kiffin said his system, which he perfected as offensive coordinator at Southern California, should help eliminate that dilemma.

“You don’t need them to do everything,” Kiffin said. “Find out what they do really well and focus on that and make them do that. As they get older they continue to grow and do everything.

“But don’t try to make them do everything right away.”

In particular, Kiffin seems willing to play a talented tailback even if he isn’t perfect in pass protection.

“If they can’t protect, put them in a situation where they don’t protect,” Kiffin said. “We have a system that has been great over the years of making guys into freshman All-Americans, playing them right away by focusing on what they can do extremely well.

“Do that instead of making them do everything. Then they just become average at everything instead of really good at a few things.”

For a program that prides itself (and sells itself to prospects) as one with strong NFL ties, this has been a special week with two former Vols in town.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth have both been in town to work out with the Vols.

“I think that’s the two highest paid players in the NFL,” Kiffin joked, “just a great scene for our players.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volingreensboro writes:

FINALLY, some news on summer work outs and how the freshmen are faring!!! If this doesn't get your UT FOOTBALL fire started, your wood must be wet!!!!

Is it, "FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE", yet?????

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

<<...I think that’s the two highest paid players in the NFL...>>

"I think that IS the two highest paid...?"

Lane, you probably meant to say "those ARE the two..."

Please, at least try to conjugate your verbs correctly - at least when talking to the media.

By the way, Coach, each of the "All America" banners hanging inside the complex also contains a pretty bad grammatical error. Sheesh...

gbeejr#1354500 writes:

I like CLK approach with the new players, "focus on what they do well and as they get older they continue to grow into everything else". Sure is a different philosophy from the Fulmer regime. And what a great recruiting pitch too.

GerryOP writes:

73 -- Fear The Kiffin...

ArealVolFan writes:

<<...I think that’s the two highest paid players in the NFL...>>

"I think that IS the two highest paid...?"

Lane, you probably meant to say "those ARE the two..."

Seriously? Grow up. No one uses perfect english when speaking. You don't I don't, no one does. Don't act all high and mighty when someone slips up because I guarantee you have to.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Thanks for the article. I've been craving some summer updates.

Bryce Brown is going to be a monster by his Soph season. There's no way around it.

vol_chaz writes:

I'm curious if we had to guarantee early playing time for Nuke and Bryce, to get them here. We'll find out soon enough, if they start vs. WKU. Either way, I'd love to see them both contribute early. Hardesty seems to get hurt way too much, we'll need him with Toney out.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to volingreensboro:

Is it, "FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE", yet?????

No 73 days!

tums writes:

73 days seems so far away.... ugh, at least its not still in the 100's.

JohnnyU writes:

Agree on the different philosophy on getting talented freshmen on the field. We'll see how it works, but like the article says, it seems like we always hear great stuff, only to read in November that a player is progressing, just that he needs to get better at something before playing. Its getting closer to when we find out what Lane Kiffin can do.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

Off topic, but ESPN has selected a time for the UCLA game this season:

RockyTop10nessee writes:

Nukeese and brown both will contribute early. Also have a feelin that crompton wll be alright this year. Less picks,and higher numbers. not flashy but gets the job done.

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

When my family is watching television or listening to the radio and someone makes a grammatical mistake, I highlight the mistake to my kids. I don't want them influenced by either the laziness or poor education of the speaker.

One expects call-in show idiots to suffer from stage-fright or simply to expose their educational shortcomings.

I expect, however, that a well-paid, college educated representative of my University wouldn't fall prey to the same lazy habits. Listen to Kiffin. He can't make it through 3 sentences without making a 3rd-grade grammar error.

CharlotteVol writes:

in response to HomesickVol:

Good one! John has some serious starching going on!

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

I just hope Lame, Orgeron, Hamilton or somebody knows the English language well enough to fix those banners hanging in the facility. It is an embarrassment to have such a pathetic public display on the campus of an institution of higher learning.

Note to UTAD
Rita, you might want to consider getting someone from the Thornton Center to come over and proofread the banners. 16 knows the English language and he was livid yesterday. He knows how to conjugate the verb "to be," even if your new head coach doesn't. And 16 doesn't appreciate having his picture affixed to a large Harbrace violation.

Don't worry about apologizing to any of the offended people on the walls. I'd just hurry up and get it fixed. First, however, you'll have to find someone from outside the staff who can identify the mistakes.

VolFanNC writes:

Hardesty will start barring injury....will see Brown start to get weaved into games, but I would really like to see Hardesty get us off to a good start this year and have Brown as the next guy to come in and give him a breather.

TnScooby writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

That's what you got from that article?? Seriously, the grammar???? C'mon, if that is all you gathered from that article, perhaps you would be better served trolling the Internet for a Grammar or Language Arts message board. Nobody is perfect and those are so slight as to be a non-issue. ..that is just too picky even for the most educated Vol fans here...grammar??? really???? WOW

Go Vols!!!

Jaybee1200 writes:

<<...I think that’s the two highest paid players in the NFL...>>

"I think that IS the two highest paid...?"

Lane, you probably meant to say "those ARE the two..."

Actually, he is referring to the situation of having both of them there at the same time, and therefore the situation is singular so "that is" is the correct use. Nice try female dog.

senracjr writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

Get your panties out of a wad.It's football not English 101.I don't care how they talk as long as the can coach!You keep talking like you are Gay and us plain folks will talk like Men.

Waldorf writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

We have another person in the running for the "Poster Whose Kids Are Most Likely to Be Total Losers Because of Their Parents" award along with DC.

Congrats!

99gator writes:

well, i'll say this for kiffin....

1. his players seem to believe in him.....which is step 1. i also think it's something clawson never did. the players never bought in.

2. they seem to be working hard. would be interesting to get quotes from the players as to how much harder they are working now as opposed to before. this kind of thing is the standard operating procedure across the country. so, if tennessee's players weren't doing this before.....shame on fulmer.

gohawks1 writes:

<<...I think that’s the two highest paid players in the NFL...>>

"I think that IS the two highest paid...?"

Lane, you probably meant to say "those ARE the two..."

"Lighten up, Francis." - Sergeant Hulka

Volunatic writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

That's fine. I'm sure that the well-paid, college-educated (note-- you forgot to hyphenate that in YOUR post) football coach who represents your University never makes grammatical mistakes. Unfortunately, you probably can't get gainesville (note-- lack of capitalization intentional) TV stations here, so there's no way for you to keep tabs on him.
Also, it would be clearer if you had said "I don't want them TO BE influenced", since leaving out the infinitive indicates laziness and/or poor education. Additionally, you should have used "three" instead of being lazy and/or poorly educated and typing "3".
Here's a sentence that could use your scrutiny: "Get a life."

adamsck#591720 writes:

john1998 must not get enough attention from Ms. john1998.

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

Quoting SupersMo18
<<The verb "to be" isn't actually a verb; it's an infinitive>>

Wrong. See:

But I plead guilty on hyphen use. And I also plead guilty to occasionally starting sentences with conjunctions.

You guys can make fun of it all you'd like. I am telling you, however, that there are huge grammatical mistakes hanging on the wall in the football complex - and the most storied football letterman in UT history was embarrassed about it yesterday.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Waldorf:

Congrats!

Post of the day!
I feel sorry for the guy's kids, though.

turner_c writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

I'd bet your family just loves your pontification interrupting their viewing and listening pleasure. You do this to teach your children (and wife) proper grammar or to demonstrate your superior intellect? The only way to become more intelligent is to listen, not speak. A lot of people that denigrate others are just born jerks, but you appear to be a self-made man.

Volunatic writes:

Quoting SupersMo18
<<The verb "to be" isn't actually a verb; it's an infinitive>>

Wrong. See:

What are the "huge grammatical mistakes hanging on the wall in the football complex"?
Why don't you write a letter to the head of the English Department at UT about it? I'm sure he/she will be similarly outraged and will get the problem resolved in all due haste.

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

guys im not from gainesville im a tennessee person and i played here im just be admiteedly persnickety today about something that is about to bite mikey in the rear im really hoping that tiffany or someone can figure it out soon the timing of my comments is intentional im not calling mike and the longer the mistakes stay public the longer the wound will fester

Rita know what all of that means.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Alt_news:

Rita know what all of that means.

Since you and Peyton are such good pals, perhaps you need to contact him about this grammatical travesty:
"Some people are very much not impressed, which is fine. Some people are a little bit possibly awestruck. I get a lot of 'Yes, sirs' and 'No, sirs' which I'm not comfortable with that."
I'm fairly sure he would give you a swift kick in the rear and tell you "Go away and quit acting like you know me, weirdo."

mdvol writes:

Will Bryce Brown remind us of Jamal Lewis as a Freshman? One can hope! Are all that gramatically correct? ;)

kiffownsfla writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

You watch the games for the half time band performance. And I hope I mispelled sumthing just for you professor this isnt a GRAMMAR BOARD LOL! GO VOLS!

BasketVols writes:

in response to volingreensboro:

Is it, "FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE", yet?????

Reading that Manning and Haynesworth are here working out with the team just gave me goose bumps, so if I wasn't fired up before, I sure as hell am now.

GOOOOOOOOO VOOOOOOOOOOLLLLSS!

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

<<...I think that’s the two highest paid players in the NFL...>>

"I think that IS the two highest paid...?"

Lane, you probably meant to say "those ARE the two..."

If you took English Lit 101....then you might have learned that some of the greatest authors are the awful spellers. Even worse with their grammar.

CLK is a millionaire...don't think he gives a rat's fresh turd about what you think of his grammar...plus he has a trophy wife....ENOUGH SAID!

Your post could be the most retarded post on here in weeks....SERIOUSLY!

StroVol writes:

Yes!!! news about the football team, Bryce Brown! Anything besides ESPN's horsesh.t!

rockytop4ever writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

STFU! Nobody cares about grammer. This is east TN. Go back north snow bird!

StroVol writes:

in response to kiffownsfla:

Yikes! I definitely feel bad for 1998's kids. I bet he's a real azz to be around.

BasketVols writes:

in response to tums:

73 days seems so far away.... ugh, at least its not still in the 100's.

Yeah, but as you well know, the summer just flies by. It seems like we were in the 100s about a week ago.

give_him_6 writes:

Good to hear!! Who kows how far we would have gone if Fulmer would have let Jamal start the season instead of wait till after the Florida game. We'll see if Kiff sticks to his guns aobut the young guys playing. From the USC track record I'd say it's a pretty good bet he will.

Go Vols!!!!!

BasketVols writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

Who the hell cares?

Now back to something relevant; does anyone know if Lamaison is coming THIS year or in the 2010 class?

And how is Stephens' recovery going?

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

in response to BasketVols:

GOOOOOOOOO VOOOOOOOOOOLLLLSS!

Honestly....what players (high school or college) would not want to have the opportunity to learn D-Line techniques from Big Al....or be a WR and run routes/ play pitch & catch with Peyton....or learn how to make reads on the field or break defensive coverage down with the "Master of Audibles" himself.

That is like a yearly free football clinic just for being a VOL!!!!

BillsBrother writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

My Webster's is pretty old too. Some of the definitions might now be considered archaic!

Do you think we need to update the language on the General's Seven Maxims? I mean look at number 5! Is that modern day funny talk??

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

Slimjim_Vols writes:

AreaVolsFan, did you mean:

"...I guarantee you have to."

or did you actually intend:

"...I guarantee you have, too."

* 3rd grade is not supposed to be hyphenated.

* My university should be "Our University"

* The lazy habits you speak of, but yet are lazy in your writing by typing 3 instead of just spelling the word three.

* Listen to Kiffin. Really shouldn't be a sentence, and should be followed by a comma.

* or did you actually intend: Should say, "Did you actually intend to say,"

BasketVols writes:

in response to KiFFiNOMiCS:

That is like a yearly free football clinic just for being a VOL!!!!

Right on! I literally read that article, did a lap around my apartment singing Rocky Top, threw my little dog about 10 feet in the air, thought about doing a Chris Farley cartwheel, and then decided to act my age again...

The fact that Peyton is on board means I'm totally on board. Not that I wasn't before, but that was the kicker...

CoverOrange writes:

JohnF1989, if you really are a friend of the UT and welcomed into the halls of the athletic department then why didn't you go over to Rita and ask her nicely to see about fixing things rather than coming here and complaining about it. Those that can, do, those that can't whine about it to everybody else.

DonJuan writes:

Quoting SupersMo18
<<The verb "to be" isn't actually a verb; it's an infinitive>>

Wrong. See:

I used to take your posts seriously because you seem to have access to the program most of us don’t. After this, I can no longer respect what you write here. Disappointing.

Slimjim_Vols writes:

in response to Alt_news:

Rita know what all of that means.

Should be a period after fester.

And the 1st word was not capitalized.

Also, the sentence is to long. Should have been boken up by commas and periods.

Follow your own grammar advise.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

in response to Alt_news:

Rita know what all of that means.

Here you go English Professor:

"im just be admiteedly"---there is some proper grammar & try this link for your spelling:

You sir are not persnickety by the way.....YOU VERY WELL COULD BE THE MOST UPTIGHT S.O.B. TO EVER POST ON HERE...RELAX FLEX!!!!

And it is Lane not Lame.....the only Lame thing on here is your nerdish, dorkish posts....yeah I just made those up myself!

Slimjim_Vols writes:

Read number 3 on a Gator web-site, that I found from ESPN.

BasketVols writes:

Played on the 1998 team and his first name is John. Hmmmmm.
Maybe John Finlayson?

Here's the link for the '98 roster if anyone else cares. I don't know why I do...