Kiffin locked in on Ausmus

Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin didn’t have to think long when he went looking for strength and conditioning coach to replace Mark Smith.

“I knew that was the direction I wanted to go,” Kiffin said of hiring Aaron Ausmus. “It was very easy for me.”

And likely very easy for Ausmus to accept the job, considering he threw the shot put for UT’s track and field team before building his resume as a strength and conditioning coach.

Kiffin, however, didn’t hire Ausmus because of his connection to UT. There were other, more important ties. Kiffin worked with Ausmus at Southern California. Assistant head coach Ed Orgeron worked with Ausmus at Ole Miss.

“He fits better with the direction of where we’re going just because we’re familiar with him,” Kiffin said. “I’m not a strength coach so I don’t know exactly how to coach them down there (in the weight room).

“I know what I want. I know what we had when we won a lot of games (at USC).”

Ausmus replaced Smith, who was on the job at UT for little more than six months. The move was a costly one, as UT will be contractually obligated to pay Smith the remainder of his two-year contract, which is roughly $300,000.

“Mark Smith did some great things for us, installing discipline and accountability from the first day he got here,” Kiffin said Wednesday on the News Sentinel’s radio show, The Sports Page. “We’re real excited to have Aaron on board now. Aaron is real familiar with what we did at USC. We’re going to give them the highest level of training they can get.”

If Smith takes another job, UT would only be obligated to pay him the difference between what he would get paid elsewhere and what he was to be paid by UT.

“I think Mark’s a great coach and will continue to be a great coach,” Kiffin said. “He’s had a great career and will continue to have a great career, and we’re very thankful for what he did in his six months here.”

Kiffin said the change didn’t set UT’s football team back, even though the Vols were with a lame duck strength and conditioning coach for much of June. Ausmus’ first official day on the job was Monday. UT started summer workouts on June 1 amid reports that Smith was on the way out.

Ausmus will be one of the primary coaches who players will answer to during the coming weeks because much of UT’s staff will be on vacation.

“It’s very critical for them (the other coaches) to recharge and not to wear them out,” Kiffin said.

That directive had to come from Kiffin; or, he said, some members of his staff might not rest at all.

“If you hire the right guys that are dedicated to working and understand how hard it is to get a program to a championship level … it’s hard to burn them out,” Kiffin said. “They’re used to working as long as it takes to win.

“Our staff would be pretty hard to burn out but I still monitor it.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

73----Fear the KiFFiNOMiCS!!!!!

kabzs writes:

To burn $300k is like getting divorced from a shrew. Money well spent.

GeneralSherman writes:

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

72-----Fear the KiFFiNOMiCS!!!!!!

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Interesting...still no word on why he was let go. I really wanna know, but like others have pointed out..it's gotta be ugly if they won't talk about it.

All in all, glad to have Ausmus on board. I hope he teaches that same level of discipline and work ethic as Smith did.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

71----Fear the KiFFiNOMiCS!!!!!

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

70---Fear the KiFFiNOMiCS!!!!!

graphpro#231211 writes:

I'd like to know what happened. It must of been a bad situation. Six months is a pretty short stay and a quick hook.

If anyone know please post.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

69---Fear the KiFFiNOMiCS!!!!

Sorry fellow VOL Bloggers....trying to speed up "Father Time"....just wish we could get to September 5, 2009 to start the Tennessee Football season off!!!!!

TnScooby writes:

Glad to see CLK get the coaches HE wants....still think Smith was not what CLK expected and kudos to him for making the change despite all the criticism... Aaron Ausmus is familiar with the staff and he knows what is expected....Good Luck CAA!!!

Go Vols!!!!!

kiffownsfla writes:

Good read.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

98% chance that Evan Hailes DT prospect commits to Tennessee by next Monday...

Evan Hailes is the cousin of Mr. BadxASSx himself....#5 RICO McCOY!!!!!

Starved for some football footage?

Check out Rico's tryout video for "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show:

TD_4_UT writes:

Hey Kiffinomics, do you have a source or not? we are listening to crickets.

TD_4_UT writes:

There is a thread on VN that someone heard a radio show today and it said that there was a commit from a JUCO QB for 2010. We all know this can't be Laimson because he is 2009. Could this be Cam Newton? Maybe he committed before his evaluation? I don't know, just thought I would pass it on. GO VOLS!!!

ETSU_Vol writes:

this is what they are showing on espn:

"Jun. 24
Evan Hailes, DT
Chesapeake, VA
Oscar Frommel Smith H.S.

Scouts Grade: Under Armour All-American Evan Hailes sets top five, nears decision
ESPNU 150 Watch List defensive tackle Evan Hailes named his top five for ESPN affiliate Web site NittanyNetwork.com, "It's Penn State, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, North Carolina State and LSU."

He continued, "I've visited Virginia Tech and Tennessee so far. I visit Penn State this Friday. After I visit Penn State I'll make my decision. I'll decide at the end of this week or beginning of next week."

It appears that Hailes will be choosing from the Hokies, Vols and Nittany Lions with North Carolina and LSU on the outside looking in.

Last season, the 6-foot-1, 315-pound prospect registered 81 tackles and 11 sacks.

Hailes Update Archive LSU
North Carolina
Penn State
Virginia Tech
Tennessee"

VolFanNC writes:

in response to TD_4_UT:

It is Lamaison the radio was talking about. He doesn't need to commit though, if they have a scholly for '09, he just needs to show up and sign. If he enrolls this fall won't count against the signing limit for '10.

panties4tebow writes:

The question is .........Will you Trolls ever stop wear panties???????????LOL

GO MIGHTY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to kabzs:

To burn $300k is like getting divorced from a shrew. Money well spent.

Where did u here that about lamaison ?

utchris writes:

in response to graphpro#231211:

If anyone know please post.

Kiffin wanted Ausmus from the get go, but was incorrectly told that he had already accepted the same job at Washington. Wasting no time, Kiffin hired Smith away from USC.

Smith had several "disagreements" with some players, some of the athletic training staff, and then Orgeron. He also kicked all of the other sports out of the weight room, saying that the weight room in the NTC was for football only (he had FB only rooms at USC and UF). Kiffin and later, Hamilton told him that he had to let the other teams in there to work out, but he kept trying to press the issue.

panties4tebow writes:

Nellie you whine alot, what happened did dc take all your panties when you two trolls divorced?

millst987 writes:

Kiffinomics im gonna say there is a 98% chance Hailes goes to Penn State.

InertGas writes:

I'm not sure but I believe it is incorrect to say "he threw the shot put for Tennessee". It should be said that "he put the shot for Tennessee".
Sorry, I don't have much to do. Just waiting around for football season.

mtnbikrtn writes:

in response to utwhinesalot:

UT doesn't have gymnastics.

belayvol writes:

in response to InertGas:

Sorry, I don't have much to do. Just waiting around for football season.

Were you a Lounge Lizard in a previous life?

TommyJack writes:

in response to utwhinesalot:

Can't wait to place you about number 3 on the ignore list.

kabzs writes:

in response to kiffownsfla:

Where did u here that about lamaison ?

I called and spoke the the sound engineer for 104.5, The Zone in Nashville. He said it was Nick Lamaison, JUCO QB to come to UT in 2010.

kabzs writes:

in response to InertGas:

Sorry, I don't have much to do. Just waiting around for football season.

Hope he never Shot his Put. I hate doing that.

belayvol writes:

in response to utwhinesalot:

Only if we are recruiting football players. Oh wait, that would be florida. never mind.

panties4tebow writes:

Tennessee also does not have men wearing panties like the trolls?

When can we expect the ignore button to appear?

panties4tebow writes:

Tennessee will win more...that is what you are afraid of lil-gator.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Can't wait to place you about number 3 on the ignore list.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to kabzs:

To burn $300k is like getting divorced from a shrew. Money well spent.

Money well spent!!!!! Just what do you base that statement on... What did Smith do wrong, been trying to get that answer...

invisiblekid writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I'll be surprised if Hailes doesn't sign with Penn State. I don't think either side was impressed at the camp.

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

Basically this is why they got rid of Smith. He locked out other sports claiming the weight room was for football only. He might have got away with it but you just don't tell Pat Summit and Bruce Pearl that they can't use the weight room. Plus Ausmus is the man they wanted all along. They thought he was locked down somewhere else though. Hope this helps for those of you that are wondering. GO VOLS!!!

panties4tebow writes:

And Mississippi is not on your schedule this year!!!

BBBBBWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to panties4tebow:

And Mississippi is not on your schedule this year!!!

BBBBBWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ROFFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

invisiblekid writes:

in response to RichRollin:

He didn't bother to work out at the camp from what I have read. Seems to be shying away from potential competition with the number of d line commits the Vols already have in hand as well.

I am still around some, just pointless to post much on here with all the incessant BS.

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to invisiblekid:

Well poke your head out evey now and then we love havin ya kid.

Ringleader writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Smith had a well written, fully spelled out contract for employment and duties. He had more than one run in with Coach O and his contract would not let Coach K or Hamilton interfere with him running the facilities, or cause him to have to answer to Coach O. He receives his pay for the remaining term of the two years, provided he does not acccept another employment. To settle this, he agreed to not talk harmful to UT or any of UT Coaches, so long as he is being paid by UT. That is the same contract termination that Terry Bowden had with Auburn for ten years payment. There is some speculation that Smith will hire on with someone else as a volunteer with payment at a later date. I cannot prove what the basic disagreement with Coach O was over, but and you would not like it. A pretty expensive deal, approx $400,000 out the window had the right hire been made to begin with.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to ChurchHillVol67:

Well poke your head out evey now and then we love havin ya kid.

Thanks.

FWIW, I'd take Ferguson and Quarles over Hailes without a second thought. Vols already have 3 DT commits and are in line for others. Losing a guy who doesn't want to compete at any camps won't be a huge loss.

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to kabzs:

Thanks 0lane I myself hope he does I think he may could at least raise the qb level and probally even start was hoping he would transfer and be there in late summer this year we will see I guess. GO VOLS!

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Hey Rich do you have another link both of these are the same.

ChurchHillVol67 (Inactive) writes:

in response to RichRollin:

It's all good Rich thanks for the links.

oldvolsfan writes:

in response to DCgators:

smart azz

belayvol writes:

Is Georgia in trouble over Marlon Brown's Facebook account? This might cure the doldrums for a few days.

Couchdummy writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Can't wait to place you about number 3 on the ignore list.

Amen! Growing weary of all the irritating troll postings. KNS--When is the ignore feature supposed to be available and how will it work?

Hrockytop writes:

Times up, Let's do this thang........LEEROY JENKINS

kabzs writes:

I was in Ktown on Sat and bought a 2009 Tennessee Football guide. Don't remember the magazine's name, but you know the type, the $6.95 glossy pre-season impulse-buy up by the cash register at the gas station.

Anyway, it had a long interview with Smith.

He had a weight lifting program where all weightroom workouts were for 50 minute sessions, and every lift was coached by a coach or an assistant. No more than 4 players per coach. There was therefore a necessity to have many sessions throughout the day for the football players so they can be spaced out. The lifting schedule was coordinated with the players' class schedules. If memory serves me correctly there were 6 to 8 hourly sessions per day set aside for the football team. You can imagine the fire drill of what it must look like to get all their lifts in in only an hour. Traffic problems. Interlopers not welcome: former athletes, other school teams.

The following I surmise, and is PURE SPECULATION: the weight room might have been bogged down with so many football lift sessions that it conflicted with both basketball teams. I am giving Smith the benefit of the doubt. It wouldn't surprise me if he tried to accomodate the basketball teams, but he may have had his first allegiance to the football team, and the players, and failed to play politics with Summit and Pearl. They got ticked, Coach O was displeased and found out Aaron was available, ...and you know the rest.....

BamaVol writes:

in response to Major_Magilicutty:

Maybe he's the reason so many players left UT??????

tennezz writes:

in response to utwhinesalot:

That is the U. of Felony, I mean florida that has the gymnastics team, corch meyer also recruits for them! "GRADULATIONS"