Eric Berry's brother, 13, commits to Vols

Projected to play safety, quarterback

Editor's note: This story has been corrected. The NCAA prohibits schools from formally offering scholarships until a prospect has registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center. UT has not offered Berry a scholarship.

Even though it's too early for Tennessee to actually offer, UT has received its first commitment for the Class of 2013.

That's right, 2013.

Evan Berry, brother of UT All-American safety Eric Berry, has committed to the Vols even before beginning his freshman season in high school.

"It's the only college I know right now and it seems the best for me," Evan Berry, 13, told Rivals.com, which first reported the story. "My dad went there and my brother is there now. I know I can do the same things there. I have a real friendly relationship with the coaches there. I don't know them too well, but I know I will have plenty of time to get to know them."

Evan, along with his twin brother Elliot, have been frequent visitors to Tennessee practices.

Evan and Elliot are set to begin their career at Creekside High School in Fairburn, Ga., this fall. Evan projects as a safety and quarterback, just like his older brother did in high school.

Evan also wants to follow his older brother's footsteps into the defensive backfield.

"I want to play in the secondary, and I want to play for Coach (Monte) Kiffin," Evan Berry told Rivals.com.

Eric Berry enters his junior season after earning consensus All-American honors last season, and he is one of the top-rated prospects for next year's NFL draft.

Evan might be ahead of his brother's pace, says his father.

James Berry, the boys' father and former UT standout, told Rivals.com that Evan - and Elliot - are both further along in their development than their older brother was at age 13.

The NCAA prohibits schools from formally offering scholarships until a prospect has registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center. but judging by the accomplishments of his older brother at UT one would expect the Vols coaching staff certainly appreciates the thought of Evan Berry committing.

Evan's father acknowledged that four years is a long time to remain committed.

"Hey, we just have to take it one day at a time," James Berry said, according to Rivals.com. "Things happen, and four years is a long ways away."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

DennisVols writes:

Bring it on!!!!

golfballs03 writes:

what in the world

TheVolunteer writes:

Hell yes, bring on the Berry's.

VOLorado writes:

i wondered when this story was going to show up on here

seen it elsewhere for a couple of days now

kiffownsfla writes:

Lol kewl is thier an age limit lol you gotta be at least ten? GO VOLS!

CoachFulmer writes:

Eric Berry for Heisman!

ZCat writes:

"It's the only college I know right now and it seems the best for me."

That statement, quite possibly, could be literally true. Not sure if I would count that one as a rock-solid commitment quite yet...

CheckerboardPhilosopher writes:

Here's my newest blog on the other Vol OL commit Marques Pair with some evaluation.

Also did something on Zach Fulton earlier today. Hope this gives us all some additional information. I was scouring the message boards and net to find some info on Pair.

Here's the write-up on Berry ( http://www.3sib.com/2009/06/28/e-berr... ), and also a funny little fark by LSUFreek. You guys should check us out after you read Drew and Hook and all the guys who do a great job over here. We love the Vols, and we try to react to everything that happens in Big Orange Country.

golfballs03 writes:

Did he hold a press conference?

bluetick writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Yea those are GREAT times for track! I ran a 21.9 200, an 10.9 100 and a 51.2 400 as well as long jumping 22 11 1/2........but I was 16!! That is just SICK doing that at age 13. Someone needs to tell Elliot we have a pretty good track team on Ole Rocky Top too. :)

beachvol1 writes:

Wait just a minute...this is completely crazy...just turned to be a teenager and commits to UT....this young man will change his mind on a bunch of things in the next 4 yrs...this will really suprise me if he sticks by it....

behuman13 writes:

College football live talked about this around 4 Pm...

Govols is a little slow.. but gotta love the news.

bring on the Berry's! And those track times are phenomenal..

LiveFaith writes:

Did Kiffin secretly hire Gillispie?

bluetick writes:

Funny read; http://www.yardbarker.com/author/arti...

Lane Kiffin recruting 'jailbait' haha

Hunter writes:

So I remember TONS of Vol fans riding Kentucky and many other schools for taking kids this young. Let's not be hypocrites. I'd say he's going to be more likely a traditional recruit by the time his junior year rolls around, but we certainly have an edge.

andy112382#209793 writes:

So, if we get both of Erics twin brothers, can we make t-shirts that say 'Tennessee, we've got a pair of Berrys you can't match'?

bluetick writes:

Why are so many websites in an uproar about this? What is wrong with a kid having dreams of playing big time football at such an early age?? According to this, he is 16. LOL!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

Yes!!!! We should get first rights on Eric Berry's son!

IBleedOrange444 writes:

I am glad that there are more super talented Berry bros left. Lane & Co just pulled a Billy Clide. However, it seems like the logical thing to do with their skills and family ties.

tennezz writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

It tastes good, you should try some! idiot

oldorange writes:

This is all great & good, however, I suspect I am not the first to say that it is a long way from eigth grade to Knoxville. I am certain minds will change in the next four years.

berryballer writes:

in response to DCFloridaGator:

keep on hatin you only got it good for 1 more season then the heat gets turned up again.

hglover40#234154 writes:

How many boys does mr. Berry have?

Should we start signing some of Travis Henry's boys? Doesn't he about 7 of them?

Jillelumpkins writes:

in response to supersmo18:

You are a tool. What does it matter if you get first or not? Is there some prize? No, you do however get to look like an idiot for thinking that if you get first you're cool. What an idiot, I bet you live a miserable life.

vol88 writes:

in response to DCFloridaGator:

Hey, I believe Shady Acres beat the Gainesville Retirement Village 42-0 last year, lol.

bnakk#240693 writes:

If those two are better than Eric when we get them on the field other teams will just sh*t their pants and forfeit!

corrinebrown writes:

in response to golfballs03:

Did he hold a press conference?

at Chucky Cheese

kiffownsfla writes:

in response to Jillelumpkins:

Lmfao this is great! GO VOLS GET THE BERRY BOYS!

BigVolinCarolina writes:

I don't like this.

ClayMolder (Inactive) writes:

ridiculous. college football has gone to pandering to middle school children. he may not want to play for anyone by then.

this is meant for comment, not news.

pms151 writes:

I saw this kid in the mall yesterday. He took his mother's keys from her purse and threw them 40 yards down the hall from his stroller. Boy can he throw. You need his name CLK, just give me a call.

KCHS63 writes:

in response to chuck0303#1342365:

The record (and surely a national one) goes to Aaron Douglas. His scholarship offer came at birth to his NFL father and his national champion Lady Vol mother!

Gate21 writes:

in response to pms151:

depends...did the keys bounce or were they on a rope?

volhome#407234 writes:

Simply put, think back in your own youth. Did you maybe have dreams of playing big time football somewhere? I sure did, and had I the abilities, the goal would have always been to play at UT. Again, had I the talent, I would have declared that at eight years old. Now imagine that you have a bloodline linking to that same university. You would probably be there in a heartbeat, and I know I sure would. It's good to have young men who know what they want that can look to contribute. Enjoy it all, boys, you will make us proud.

VolGraduate writes:

This is purely for publicity. Did you see how many times the names Eric berry and UT scrolled across the ticker on espn??? Can you say heisman

99gator writes:

urban meyer will steal him....you watch.

this kid's going to notre dame!

ctownvol writes:

in response to 99gator:

urban meyer will steal him....you watch.

this kid's going to notre dame!

Funny. Don't let Dc or whatever name he is using today here that. It looks like he is going with utwhines so far this morning, but that is subject to change at any moment.

Psychovol writes:

Sign up his mother, father and cousins too. This is like the Colquit, and Reveiz families and there's nothing wrong with loyalty and bleeding orange.

ctownvol writes:

in response to hiresanders:

R'e'diculous? Kind of like your grasp of the English language?

ctownvol writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I think he was making a funny. Unlike the other gators around here 99 seems to have a decent sense of humor and a some class.

ctownvol writes:

Never forget who has the belt....

give_him_6 writes:

Let me guess, he held his press conference in the McDonalds Playland Playscape!!!! What next..going after really fast kindergarteners!!!

ctownvol writes:

in response to give_him_6:

Yep. He had an LSU hat and a UT hat in his Transformers lunchbox. He proceeded to pull out the LSU hat and hand it off to Grimmace, and then he put on the UT hat. It was a touching site. Then we all had happy meals and ice cream cones.

tngeoff2 writes:

Good.

ctownvol writes:

in response to tngeoff2:

Good.

Somebody has a birthday coming up....

ctownvol writes:

Yep. You got me. I goofed. Now maybe I will just log out and come back as an alter-ego. Sound familiar DC?

TD_4_UT writes:

One thing about it we sure do have a loyal following of Gator's on this site. No matter what happens in VOL news they are all over it. If it were not for the drivel I would almost say they were envious. Afterall we are the only SEC team to have beaten ALA seven times in a row. GO VOLS!!!

TD_4_UT writes:

in response to utwhinesalot:

Again you show your true knowledge of college football.

ctownvol writes:

in response to utwhinesalot:

Yep. Them too.

ctownvol writes:

in response to utwhinesalot:

Right. Ya know....denial is not a river dude.