Maze makes plea to UT students

Tennessee guard Bobby Maze hopes UT’s students will show up loud and long for the final home game Sunday. Alabama visits for Senior Day.

The student turnout for the most recent home game against Mississippi State was minimal.

“We’ve come out the last couple of games to see our student section (and) it was like they gave up on us,’’ Maze said.

“We realize this team didn’t lose at home last year (2007-08). We said, ‘We’ve got to pull this thing together.’ We don’t want them to give up on us.”

The Vols have lost four home games this year: Gonzaga, Kentucky, Memphis and LSU. Since then, UT has beaten Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State at home.

“Of course we had a great crowd against Florida,’’ Maze said, “but against Georgia and Vanderbilt it wasn’t like that.

“That really got to us. We want to let them know we’re still trying to win a championship.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

Good stuff Bobby. This team is starting to get some momentum at the right time. A good SEC tourney run will go a long way with confidence!

utvol2485 writes:

I really don't understand why people didn't show up in full force for the game against Vandy. I know they aren't all that great and neither are we, but they are our instate rival. Beating the nerds in middle Tennessee is always good.

GO VOLS!!!

###

b_neas writes:

Fans are fickle, they need to remember the days of old when the men could not beat po dunk univ.

ornglovinyankealum writes:

We can't win them all. All teams have loosing streaks. Get out there and support a tradition--Orange Pride. The guys need your support. Go Big Orange!!

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

They need to start hitting threes with consistency, and defending them on the other end of the court. I'm no longer a student at UT, but it's hard to get pumped for a team that gets anhilated at the three point line at both ends.

ornglovinyankealum writes:

in response to b_neas:

I can relate to those times. I was a student when Coach Mears came and gave us a huge breath of fresh air.

volwalk writes:

Way to go Bobby Maze--calling out the students. I've been at a few games this year and have to admit that the environment created from the student section is lacking big-time. Most set on their hands--waiting for our team to do something.

Its not like that at other major college bball arenas.

volwalk writes:

I love the fact that our point guard is basically telling the students that the team is improving and getting it together and now its time for them(students) to get the buts to the game and make some freaking noise!
Sometimes I wonder if our fans and students realize of what their role is when they go to the games---its not setting on arse,picking your nose,texting and etc. Your role should be to help create a noisy environment that gives our team a home court advantage.
I'm coming to the game and will definately do my part to help create an advantage for our team---who else is going to join???

I feel like John Belushi in Animal House.

The_Greater_Pumpkin writes:

There tickets are free is what kills me! The regular fans aren't much better. Go Bobby!

volunteer11 writes:

i agree. i havent given up on the team. i dont think our fans have either. idk tho they need to get there @$$ there

Pullingguard writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

Student support at UT does not compete with the support of other teams and their student body support. Its not about 3 pointers, even last year 07/08 season, the high intensity from the student body was not there like it is at NC, Fla., etc.
Why? I dont know...

volwalk writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Why? I dont know...

I agree that the support and intensity isn't there Most of the time....I've been at several games the last 4 years and at times it can be very good...but most of the time (80%) its dead with no advantage to the home team.

There is absolutely no excuse for that--brand new arena, recent success, 30K students---Like you, I don't get it and its very frustrating for me and I'm sure our players and coaches.

volfanincarolina writes:

I watch alot of college basketball on TV and I think Duke has the wildest fans. They are crazy and I guess that is why they are called the crazies. I am a UT fan and always have been. I agree, I think the fans are not in the game. The last home game they had last week, I mentioned look at the fans just sit there, they nothing like the fans at Duke. Let me say, I am not a Duke fan but fact is fact. If you ever watch Duke play at home, just watch the fans. Hope Tenn. fans watch and take heed.

jimvols13 writes:

in response to volwalk:

I feel like John Belushi in Animal House.

Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? He!! No!

All kidding aside Bobby is absolutely on target with this comment. Our student section is pathetic...It's depressing, are we going to abandon our boys just because they went though a bit of a rough patch?

volbald writes:

The team needs to start playing the game like they appreciate the fact that fans are watching them. During some of the games it has appeared that the fans were more intense than the players.

sayhitomaggie writes:

This will be a rough one for the students to show up to. Granted it is the last home game and it is Senior night but it is on a Sunday at noon on the day of daylight savings. I mean I am making an extra effort to get there for the game but I doubt many other students will...

Layla_Kiffin_is_hott writes:

BOBBY! All you have to do is promise to rap "I put on for Tennessee" before or at halftime of the game and students will show up.. I know I will.... You should open up with Orlando Woolridge as well...

Volfan1 writes:

in response to sayhitomaggie:

Then all the lazy jerks at UT now need to transfer to an NAIA school if they can't appreciate being at a GREAT University enough to roll out of bed by noon.

MTSUVOL writes:

Come on guys, go to church at the early service and then show up and be loud at TBA. Go Vols!

Layla_Kiffin_is_hott writes:

I am going to be there.... Probably still drunk...

volwalk writes:

in response to wallandhiker:

I love your post! You are dead on!

ArealVolFan writes:

I noticed how empty the stadium was during the Mississippi game and it took me by surprise, I wasn't able to go because I had an exam the next day and I know alot of other students have been going through the same thing at this time of year, still though I was disappointed more people didn't go. I will be there for the Bama game along with my Dad who will be attending his first UT basketball game. Should be a good meaningful game if we handle our business at SC on Thursday. If your going lets be loud and show any and all first timers what TBA and the Vols are all about!

volwalk writes:

Memo to UT students: You could probably learn a thing or two on how to conduct yourself at basketball games--by watching the other students in the conference--KY, FL, LSU, AR, SC, Ole Miss, MSU etc..And yes I am a HUGE UT VOL fan--just a little disgusted that we don't have a better home court advantage.

GO VOLS!

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to volwalk:

GO VOLS!

Feel free to buy a ticket, come to the game, and help out too.

volwalk writes:

in response to ArealVolFan:

Feel free to buy a ticket, come to the game, and help out too.

I will be the brother Vol...lets blow the top off of TBA!

MusicMan25 writes:

I am a season ticket holder at TBA. Before we all jump down the student throats... ask Bobby how many regulars showed up? It was a poor showing by both sets of fans. And yes, they were giving away tickets to the game. I was able to move from my second level seats to the lower level both games.

Look - I am not giving the students a pass. I think Bobby is right to call them out. However, for those who say "If I had a ticket, I'd go to every game". Well... when its a 9pm game late in the season against a team you are going to kill... you are going to lose some of your fan base.

Also - I'm sure if you took the percentage of students who showed up in their sections vs. the regulars who showed up in their sections, students would have a greater % by close to 10%.

I'm just saying. But yes, the UGA game was embarassing.

PS - I agree that our crowd is a bunch of lame ducks. Where's the spirit? The offensive chants and the defensive noise. I'd move students behind both goals if I were the administration... and get noise on both ends. When they show up.

EnglewoodVol writes:

in response to wallandhiker:

the football games are the same way chief. No tellin how many times i've been told to sit down at a football game by some rich fat old man. You're dead on about the social event thing. Get off your butts and socialize as loud as you can what you did to the other team's point guards' mom the night before!!

MANVOL writes:

I have been attending vols games since 83 and Win, lose, or draw I was there and true fans / students should support there team and alimater. This team has been in the hunt for the east division number 1 seed and yet students and so called fans are down on the them and this coach. I dont get it, it's SAD. Remember the 90's that was bad basketball. Now, Show up to TBA; make some noise have fun enjoy every game there is only a limited few. Don't let the person behind you force you to sit down. If you want to sit down and stair at the court then stay at home. GO VOLS beat gamecocks!!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

the diff is that at other uni's, game day is AN EVENT...UT is one of the biggest party schools around. as such, the student body has never made basketball games part of the tradition.

hell, look at football. it's not students filling up 103k seat neyland, now is it?? it's rich old guys, drunk on their a##, and a bunch of overweight women (sorry, that is just how it is).

All I know is...I hope Layla Kiffin attends EVERY game and is on prominant dislay. quit panning the seats, just show Layla....it will help recruiting.

murrayvol writes:

in response to MusicMan25:

I'm just saying. But yes, the UGA game was embarassing.

Much as we hate to admit it, this is still a work in progress: For coaches, fans, Administration, and players.

It's easy when we're ranked, winning, and blowing folks away. When you struggle and lose home games....not so much.

If UK played Cumberland College at midnight on any day, Rupp would be packed. Same for Carolina, Kansas, etc.

We're not there yet but for the first time in my lifetime I think we've got a chance.

wyomingvol writes:

in response to EnglewoodVol:

Yeah, football games outside of the student section are LAME....

Attack of the wet rags....

dc_4_ut writes:

I would be there but I have had a tests/schoolwork the last couple weeks... Spring break comin up!

jimvols13 writes:

in response to EnglewoodVol:

Amen, preach it. I hate going to football games and sitting anywhere other then the student section (I'm a student). My dad and I will usually go to at least one game a year together. Normally we sit in the seats of our family friends, they are located in the lower bowl behind the opposing teams bench. They are great seats so it is hard to complain but whenever I sit over there I feel like a can't cheer or yell with out getting vilified, given the evil eye or directly told to sit down. It is awful, it totally kills the gameday experience.

newtonrail writes:

in response to ArealVolFan:

We just played Miss State, not Mississippi, and it was on Wednesday night. But surely more than 50 students can come to the Rocky Top Rowdies section. It was pathetic. I won't even get into the other student seating areas, and the MIA's. And yes, there were a lot of regular ticket holders absent. At least I've got a place to lay my coat on the empty seat next to me.

McLifetimeVolfan writes:

in response to wallandhiker:

You're dead on"Wall",it would be nice to have chance to buy primo tickets,Go Vols

1vavolfan writes:

Our students are pathetic. The student support is better at ETSU than it is here. A loss or two and they disappear. How pitiful that a team in the lead in the SEC East has to beg its students to come to games.The fans this year have been more of a disappointment than the team.

kevin151 writes:

Based on their performance why would you get fired up about this team?

VOLnAla writes:

I went to the UT-Bama game last year in Tuscalooser and there were a ton of bamer students at the game. You would have thought that the students really had a great product out on that court. They didnt. The students just care about sports and showing up, especially against Tennessee. GBO!

HtownVol writes:

I have been to many UT games (football & basketball) and I have always been disappointed in how we do not make near the amount of noise that we are capable of. Especially at Neyland. I have heard how loud we can be. But we hardly ever do it. If we want our programs to be the best we need to start making noise. At football games with 107K we need to make it where the other team can not hear the plays being called. With that many people there is no reaso we cant do it. If our crowd made the noise that they are capable of making. I guarentee that it would get us at least 1 extra win each year! Come on VOL fans. Lets get these programs to the level that we wnat (TOP)!!!

VolJunkie writes:

TBA is an interesting experience. Huge arena with the students confined to a couple of small spaces so you will never get the feel of Cameron. Don't know how people can say there is no home court advantage, we had one of the nation's longest home court winning streaks going into this year. I have been going to games for 3 years and have what we fondly refer to as Purple Haze seats ("scuse me while I kiss the sky"); at least we get some great exercise getting up there! I agree with some of the other posters, it can be quiet at times up there. I tend to be more animated than most and have never been told to sit down or be quiet. Except one time by my wife, I was convinced Valentine would hear what I thought of him if I yelled loud enough.

Hoping for a big crowd on Sunday and a great send-off to Tampa.

Go Vols!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

OK Bobby! We're behind you. Just remember you've gotta show up too! Take charge at point. No more of this roookie hesitancy. TAKE CHARGE!

pittsburghman77 writes:

Mid-week games are tough for us students to make. We have tests and such. I was there, but I understand why people chose not to come when we had been losing at home and not looking like much of a contender. There are far more basketball games than football, so students are willing to miss a few.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Hey Junkie, let the kids yell...Us Hendrix fans are too old to be jumpin' around and yellin'...unless you're on what Hendrix was on.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to pittsburghman77:

When I was in college I went to every single home game even with a big test the next day. My dates were at the bball games. I played in the pep band when I could.
But we were ranked top 5 in the nation all 4 years (Div.2). But I was rootin' for Bernie and Ernie too!
I was able to go to one football game then at UT and I was sold as we slaughtered Ga. Tech. I was a fan before that but man what an atmosphere. I remember as a UTC fan when UT first came to McKensie(whatever it is now). YOu would have expected to see Blue and gold everywhere!? The place was at least half orange if not more and it was packed.

VolJunkie writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

LOL ... hard to be there and not yell, IMO being a fan means participating. I'm the same way at home watching the games on TV, drives my wife crazy.

Go Vols!

bebecerveza writes:

The whole thing is sad. Two years ago I came back to Knoxville and I went to my first Football game since I graduated from UT in 2002. It was the South Carolina game and my wife and I sat on the last row right before the start of the SC fan section.

Being that I remembered the days of the late 90's and how much fun you could have in the student section I tried to carry that over into the regular section to my dismay.

The SC fans behind me were into it saying this was their year, we had a friendly back and forth and after going up 21 to nothing Instead of everyone in UT section getting into it the so called "UT FANS" told me to be quite that I was being rude to the SC fans. Seriously? Rude to SC fans. No cuss words, No vulgarity was used and apparently I was being rude not proud of my team!

SC fans were so shocked by what they saw that I was invited to sit with them! I told them and everyone there that I was embarrassed to call myself a UT fan and we left before half time.

Maybe the new coach will rub off on everyone and show people that this is not only a game but a way of life that I was fortunate enough to grow up with.

suPEARLman writes:

MAN, if I still lived in K-town I'd be at every home game! Show these kids some love!!!! GO TO THE GAMES!!!!!!!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

sorry...

mocsandvolsfan writes:

bebeseveza? You can make of it what you will but UT's fans in my oppinion are the best. It's like church. You can go to one church and they'll be quiet and dignified. You can go to another church and they'll be jumping up and down hollering at the top of their voices in praise. Who's to say which God prefers? It's just a game and not really important in the scheme of things. But don't tell that to a packed Neyland crowd or a packed Summit. Those people probably should have stayed home to watch on TV but they really have a right to buy a ticket and watch the game in peace...of course you have a right to yell your lungs out too!

cmoore7 writes:

Too much of the student population consists of kids from transplant families. Their family moved to Tennessee(Brentwood, West Knoxville) and know nothing about the state or it's schools. The kids, had the family not moved, would be at Big Ten or midwest schools if not for the relocation. The parents, being alums of Big Ten and midwest schools,could care less about teaching their children the traditions of Tennessee. I graduated in '06 and began to notice towards the end of my years, that a lot of the kids from suburban Nashville and Knoxville didn't know chit about what it meant to go to school there. It seemed like most of the die-hards were, like me, 1) native Tennesseans and 2) from small towns.

rockytop4ever writes:

If you win they will come....if not, well ask Fulmer.