Brown impressed with LSU

Oku visits Auburn

A strong visit last weekend can only help LSU as it tries to land Bryce Brown.

The highly touted tailback from Wichita (Kan.) East High School said he was impressed with the Tigers’ coaching staff and how they planned on using him in their offense, according to a Web site run by Brian Butler, a former rapper who is handling Brown’s recruitment.

“This is the best academic center I’ve seen on all my visits,” Brown told potentialplayers.com.

LSU certainly treated Brown like the star prospect that he is, including a night on campus with quarterbacks Jordan Jefferson and Russell Shepherd.

“The meeting with Coach (Les) Miles went great, he talked about my skills and how he pictures me in the LSU program,” Brown said. “We discussed the success and the competition in the SEC and how they get their players ready for the next level.”

Brown, who visited Tennessee last month, also is considering Oregon and has taken official visits to Clemson and Missouri. His recruitment with Miami is a bit unclear. According to several media reports, the Hurricanes were prepared to end their recruitment of Brown when he refused to announce his decision within two weeks after National Signing Day. Brown’s brother, Arthur Brown, is a linebacker at Miami.

Brown has said he will sign his national letter of intent on March 16.

His decision could influence tailback David Oku, who was originally committed to UT. Oku has said he is willing to sign at the same school as Brown but others close to both recruitments think the two will end up at different schools.

Oku is considering UT, Auburn and Syracuse. He visited Auburn this past weekend.

Oku recently transferred from Carl Albert High in Midwest City, Okla., to Lincoln (Neb.) East.

He told the News Sentinel that he changed schools to improve his grade-point average. Yet, he’s told some other media that he made the move in order to be closer to his girlfriend, who is a University of Nebraska student.

Oku’s academic standing was never thought to be in question. He was only one class short of enrolling in college in January.

The move could certainly put the Cornhuskers in play to land Oku, who has offered no hint as to when he might sign his letter of intent.

golfballs03 writes:

If he goes to LSU, he's got to know that he won't touch the ball at all next season. And then after Scott and Williams leave, he'll have some stiff competition with Murphy and Michael Ford. For someone who will bolt to the NFL the first chance he gets, that doesn't seem like a good situation...

HtownVol writes:

Woo hoo... Who cares. He isnt coming here anyway!

HtownVol writes:

These kids are so frustrating. Why would NIKE be appealing to Brown? Is he so sure that he is the next LT? He would have to be a super star to get a NIKE deal. And if he is it doesnt matter where he goes to school. I would love to have either one of them, but I think that at this point most people do not care any more.

volwalk writes:

I'm all about doing what we have to do to sway some pre-modanas(sp?) but good grief--give me a break. This guy and Oku are on another planet. I hope this isn't the sign of more to come. Your either with us or against us--make a freaking decision--I hope it doesn't take them this long to decide which block to follow, when they are playing.

givehim6 writes:

Good let him go there, do not need his drama here. We have 3 good backs now, and i'm sure we will pick up another one or two in 2010.

allvolinatlanta writes:

Enough already, this kid is impressed everywhere he goes!

volstasis writes:

Same ole stuff. Brown was impressed here, impressed there. Who cares anymore? Just pick somewhere and get this circus over with already.

GreerVol22 writes:

oh, so he's concerned about his academics now huh? I'm sure his rapper\manager is concerned about his education too. Next thing you know this kid will label himself "the future" and cut a record.

golfballs03 writes:

This one comes down to Oregon and Tennessee. I think he goes to Oregon and not just because of Nike. I think he goes because he can fill the void left by Jeremiah Johnson. Their line isn't the same, but it's still pretty solid. I think there is more certainty with their system and the PT he would get. However, one of Butler's players who is also from Wichita is at Oregon now, Chris Haper. He is supposedly not happy with Oregon and is looking to transfer. He could say somethings that might sway Brown. But to this point, it is all speculation...

BigHouse_of_IceGulp writes:

Amen-come or go-just get on with it!

Ironcity writes:

in response to hiresanders:

I would imagine it has to be to keep that bunch down at LSU eligible.

MrBamSeydu writes:

I heard those David Oku girlfriend rumors are completely farce. But if it's true that he wasn't in any kind of academic trouble, his reasoning for transferring just don't add up. Who knows??

Bloodrunzorange writes:

in response to VolunteerFear:

Don't be so hard on the kid... Man you have some nerve giving this kid the business and tearing into me for giving McNeil a hard time. Are you bipolar? Go Vols!

rockitwithrespect writes:

wouldnt it be funny if he picked miami, and they didnt take him based on principle? (if there is such a thing in college sports)

AlpharettaVol writes:

This guy seems to be most interested in how each school will build its entire offense (maybe even their athletic program) around him. I'm getting very tired of hearing about his every utterance. Even if he comes to UT I fear that he will be a prima donna from Day One.

crappieking writes:

This is absurd. Let this clown go. He is pulling everyone's chain and his "advisor" is shady at best. We are in very good shape at RB this year. What we need is a QB, D-Lineman, and O-Lineman. This where we should be focusing on.

Gbovol writes:

The coaches antics at junior day were childish at best, At worst-unimpressive. The coaches on junior day should be trying to impress the juniors with our academics and academic help available,the abilities of the coaches, how they would fit our program and contribute. Pump the players up, not the coaches stomaches.

UTVolAlum writes:

On Why Oku Moved...

Oku says Nebraska is not an option.

volstasis writes:

I don't want him at UT. I don't think we have enough wipes and diapers for him when Creer blows him away and he has to ride the pine. Grant it, at one time I would've liked to seen him in orange, but now, I have grown sick of hearing about him and Oku both. Bring on Charles and lets get it on.

VolunteerMan writes:

in response to Gbovol:

It was certainly an outlandish approach but as long as the recruits found it in a completely different light than yourself, I'm all for it.

The status quo isn't this staff's vocabulary. Great job coaches. Keep it coming.

volstasis writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

You're probably right, now that a lot of people in big orange country doesn't care anymore.

volwalk writes:

in response to CheckerboardPhilosopher:

Kiffin's recruiting methods.

That is awesome! The whole shirt ripping reminds of Bruce painting his chest and showing up with players to the Lady Vol game. Its risky but can pay off greatly, especially if the team goes 8-4 or 9-3 and shows improvement on the field. At first, Bruce caught a lot of flack for his stunt but in the end, he came out smelling like a rose.
We all (mostly) wanted a Bruce Pearl type to coach our football team and I think we definately have it. Hopefully Kiffen and Co. will smell like roses at the end of this season. I'm betting that they will.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

Vol fans:
Let the kid do his thing. I will be glad if Brown chooses us, but we are going to be fine...either way. CLK will pick up some great recruits in the near future. For now, Monterio and Creer are our guys. I hate LSU as much as all of you, but who cares. I am sure they will offer him more money...Ha Ha! Good luck to Brown and Oku both. The Vols will be successful with them or without them. Go Vols and Support CLK!

Colliervol writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

I hope not. Not worth the potential problems dealing with him and his "mentor". I would turn and run away swiftly from this bunch.

jmillran writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Trying to get one of the couple best RB's is the country? Doesn't seem desperate to me. Don't get me wrong, I completely disagree with waiting so long to sign a LOI. But since we're still on their lists, we might as well try to recruit them.

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Both BB and OKU are talented RB's, but I don't think UT is calling these guys every day begging them to attend. They offered these guys, but the train isn't going to wait on these too. We are sound at RB. Any of the guys we have now Hardesty, Creer, Poole, etc can tote the mail. If they couldn't they wouldn't be here. Also, we got the Williams kid from GA coming in. WE'll be fine. These two guts won't make or break us. Alot of signs point to Brown coming here. His FaceBook profile is one. With all the current UT players he has as friends. He also added Orson Charles a couple days ago. Not toi start rumors, but why wait till now to beome FaceBook friends, when they played on the same AA game. Hopefully, they are talking about coming to UT. All schools sound good to BB. He's a good back, but he's in it for himself. Also, what if he's injured? No player is immune to injuries. I think we get Charles, and if so, make a good statement for BB also.

TommyJack writes:

in response to marc_ash#231781:

Wow, Marcus. You really think so?

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to Gbovol:

It's a new day, you have to change and adapt to the kids of today. Yes, 20 years ago that would be silly to do, but now you have to be creative and have an appeal that shows your fire and commitment. It all supports the will to win and the players competitive spirit. Nothing wrong with that. Plus Change is a good thing. When the premier atheletes start calling UT home, then the shirt ripping won't be considered bad.

BUTCHug_JONES writes:

whatever

TommyJack writes:

in response to Gbovol:

I get your drift. If we were recruiting for Rhodes Scholarship students, I would agree. But we're not.
A bit cheesy, but could be effective.

Cherokee writes:

"Many close to Brown’s recruitment think he will end up at Oregon, in part, because of the Ducks’ involvement with Nike. The potential promotion is thought to be appealing to Brown."

What promotion? Certainly not while he is at Oregon because that is surely a violation. What promotion opportunities BY VIRTUE OF ATTENDING OREGON is thought to be appealing? By whom?

kevin151 writes:

Best academic center??? Is he kidding me?? LSU has no academic requirements to go get into school. Athlete or not, everyone is accepted.

wncvol writes:

wonder if les myles remembers the name 'ryan perrilloux'?

golfballs03 writes:

in response to Gbovol:

let's hire gbovol to be our lead recruiter. afterall, this staff is doing such a horrible job. i don't know where we thought that Orgeron and Kiffin could recruit in the first place.

turner_c writes:

I would love to land Brown and Oku both. Both have the ability to be program changers.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to Cherokee:

My thoughts exactly on the Nike promotion. What's up with that?

Colliervol writes:

in response to Cherokee:

Good questions and I think we all know the answer of who it would appeal to. My guess is his "mentor" (and I use the term very loosely).

volstasis writes:

in response to gohawks1:

My thoughts exactly on the Nike promotion. What's up with that?

He's following his mentor's advice. Go where the money seems to be.

Alwaysavol writes:

in response to UTVolAlum:

On Why Oku Moved...

Oku says Nebraska is not an option.

Thanks for posting this link. Something about this doesn't add up...he said he changed schools so he could get enough credits that he wouldn't have to go to prep school. How is he going to do that in half a school year (actually a little bit less)? And I don't see how it is possible that his original school didn't offer such courses/credits.

On a lighter note, I believe Oku just set the all-time record for most times saying the phrase "you know" in a single interview.

The_the writes:

Brown->Oregon
Oku->Auburn

golfballs03 writes:

in response to gohawks1:

My thoughts exactly on the Nike promotion. What's up with that?

Don't you remember all that money Nike spent to promote Joey Harrington for Heisman??? They had a picture of him that scaled the side of a skyscraper in Times Square! What recruit wouldn't be enticed by that kind of marketing?

vscebail#247785 writes:

As for LSU, Brown said he was impressed with the academic support it offers its athletes. Yeah, at LoSerU - if you can spell "cat" with the help of a tutor: you pass. Let's hope they don't ever have to spell "tigers" on their own.

golfballs03 writes:

in response to The_the:

Brown->Oregon
Oku->Auburn

That's my guess too.

volstasis writes:

in response to The_the:

Brown->Oregon
Oku->Auburn

Charles->TN, hopefully.

BIGEJ writes:

Brown impressed with ______________ (fill in the blank). Brown says (what the "shady" Butler tells him to say)" Blah, Blah, Blah" This Butler character "looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, has feathers like a duck but he is not a duck"...according to his website. GO VOLS

SemperVol writes:

I remember that Joey Harrington ad...

"The Athletic Department helped promote former Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington’s bid for the Heisman Trophy in 2001 by means of a 100-foot tall billboard in New York City."

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to turner_c:

I am with you!! Once they hit the school things will change,, They are the TWO BEST BACKS IN THE COUNTRY..
We have a chance so let it play out and when they decide where they want to play then we can yell and show our behind if they decide not to be a VOL. got a feeling some of you will do it if they do decide to come to TENN.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to golfballs03:

So let me see if I understand this... you can't use smoke machines during recruiting without commiting a secondary violation, but a major corporation can influence where a recruit signs by publically endorsing him in a big time marketing ploy.

I don't get it, Big Dan.