Kiffin wants to open spring practice session for fans on March 13

Tennessee hopes to make one of its spring football practices open to the public.

UT hopes to allow fans access to its third practice of the spring on March 13 inside Neyland Stadium, at the urging of coach Lane Kiffin. Tennessee has asked the fire marshall for approval to allow fans into Neyland Stadium, which is currently in the middle of a major renovation to the west side of the stadium.

Final word on whether fans will be allowed in the stadium for the team's evening workout should come early next week.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tnvol737 writes:

Sounds good to me...

WinOrLoseWeStillBooze writes:

I can't wait to watch some of the talent that CPF let marinade on the bench over the last 2-3 years.

thevoice writes:

I say have it LP Field, add a few adult beverages. Any practice will look good after that.

golfballs03 writes:

That's great

HtownVol writes:

Wish I wasnt 1,000 miles away

MattDillon writes:

Won't be long till we can hear "It's football time in Tennessee". Anybody ready for that?

cmoore7 writes:

Breakfast briefings, Urban bashings, a son named Knox, and now "open" night-practices at Neyland. Boy, this guy really knows the way to my heart. What's next? Deep go routes and blocked punts?

smashmouth98 writes:

SWEET, I'll be there!!!!

dc_4_ut writes:

I just want to say that Witch Doctor and Cavemen are my favorite posters on here... And I support this message (open house for Spring Ball- woohoo!)

tnbanker_govols writes:

in response to MattDillon:

Amen to that.....it can't get here soon enough!

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Wish I wasnt 1,000 miles away

You're alot closer than me though LOL

utfanatic813 writes:

dang, my flight back to houston leave at 4:30 :/

dvhill100 writes:

I LIKE it!!!!!!

Good synopsis for SEC schools:

utmdm writes:
Colliervol writes:

In the last few years, I personally couldn't understand why Phil closed practice. It didn't take much to decipher:

First Down- Off Tackle
Second Down- Off Tackle
Third Down- Wide Receiver Screen

Voluvr writes:

I'll be going to my first Spring Game. how many fans will be there?

utmdm writes:

Hope they all continue to overlook us:

10/10/09 at Tennessee

Tennessee will begin the Lane Kiffin era with it's own question of who will be king. Will is be the very average Jonathan Crompton or the equally unimpressive duo of Nick Stephens and B.J. Coleman? Kiffin would have us believe that it was the system that made Crompton so bad last year, we'll see if that's true once the season starts.

Making matters even more intriguing, Monte Kiffin will bring his "Tampa 2" to a defensive line that is, shall we say, less than stellar? There may be a quality player or two who can ably start for the Vols on that defensive line, but that is all. There is little depth to speak of so those Tennessee coaches better start putting on their flashlight helmets; they have to find some guys to fill-in the gaping holes in a hurry.

The offensive line is dismal. They have a couple talented guards but little else. Whoever they choose to play at the quarterback or running back position is in for a long year.

The end to this story seems simple to me, a Georgia win. But, as any fan can tell you, we don't play these games on paper. Neyland Stadium is still Neyland Stadium; home field advantage can never be discounted when it comes to SEC football.

lowman4vols writes:

in response to Colliervol:

First Down- Off Tackle
Second Down- Off Tackle
Third Down- Wide Receiver Screen

so true...

kabzs writes:

in response to cmoore7:

What's next?

Probably something other than a handoff over right tackle on first, second, and third down.

A pass to the tight end.

A post pattern.

Special team players who rip off their shirts because each is Superman.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to utmdm:

SPECIAL TEAMS. OH YEAH!

Great article! Thanks, too bad KNS can't seem to come up with something like this.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to Colliervol:

First Down- Off Tackle
Second Down- Off Tackle
Third Down- Wide Receiver Screen

Too much workin' like heck going on to have a bunch of keyboard quarterbacks distracting the troops.

Also have to remember the G Gun was in it's developmental stages. It took 6-8 practices to perfect the direct snap and off tackle right. I think the competition is still in awe of that formation.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to utmdm:

Hope they all continue to overlook us:

10/10/09 at Tennessee

Neyland may actually become a home field advantage again as well. It doesn't appear that it's in the plans of this staff for the fans to sit on their hands most of the game.

rckymtngator writes:

Do the fans get to run through the smoke machine or is it saved for recruits?

USMCVolFan writes:

I'm sorry to jack this, but it needs said.

186.......Fear The Kiffin.

It's all yours again.

ctownvol writes:

in response to cmoore7:

Blocking punts is legal? Next you're going to tell me it's also legal for Tennessee to return punts and/or kickoffs for touchdowns.

Colliervol writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Or tackle somebody when they are returning the kicks.

utmdm writes:

in response to dvhill100:

Seems the tone is to always look for something controversial as opposed to working with the coaching staff. I thought it might spark KNS to a new start with the staff turnover, but alas...

utmdm writes:

in response to invisiblekid:

OHH... think they will lead the stadium is a shirt ripping??? HMMMM could be interesting.

BIG_ORANGE_BLEEDER writes:

I never wanted to live in Knoxville as bad as I do now! Practice at Neyland is going to have an intensity we have needed for some time now! Go Vols!! Get-R-Done

Colliervol writes:

in response to invisiblekid:

Yeah, that G-gun thing sure fooled 'em, didn't it? Would have had just as much success if they had held up a sign that said, "Hey dummies, I'm fixin' to run this thing up the middle."

tractoronthepole writes:

With so many people out of work you would think there are some good reporters out there? KNS should hire some of these guys who are writing some good stories that have depth like the ones coming from Rivals and ESPN. Thanks to the guys who post those good links. Does anybody get out and talk one on one and get a story anymore? KNS the are coaches are all new, think there is a story or two out there?

YOU THINK?

chattownvol writes:

Load up the car!

BillsBrother writes:

in response to Colliervol:

G-Gun deciphered
First down - off tackle
Second down - off tackle
Third down - Quaterback draw

I can't believe people thought our offense was predictable. ;-}

teampenny#658108 writes:

LK gives us hope and he is undefeated. Life is good. go vols

ROCKYTOPTENN writes:

yea baby! I'll be there

yeavols#228407 writes:

Road trip! I haven't been this excited since we hired Kiffin!..oh and PEARL, too! I am still relishing the Tennessee Florida basketball game..=)

BreweryVol writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Wish I wasnt 1,000 miles away

No kidding. I am out of country myself. This will
be free, and I will have to pay to watch the spring game.

jimvols13 writes:

See ya there coach

Vol43 writes:

It's GREAT to be a Tennesse VOL, I said it's GREAT to be a Tennessee VOL!!! YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaw. GO VOLUNTEERS!

Vol43 writes:

in response to gatorzz:

Cut and paste

dvhill100 writes:

in response to rckymtngator:

Do the fans get to run through the smoke machine or is it saved for recruits?

I used to run through the smoke way back when. I think ...... it was cosmic.

Vol43 writes:

How many times have you've seen gatorzz post this?

I haven't seen you guys this happy since you hired Coach Clawson.....

After awhile it becomes redundant and sometimes annoying.

Could KNS have anything to do with this?

dvhill100 writes:

in response to utmdm:

Can you imagine if the entire crowd at the first game did the shirt ripping when the team ran through the T? Of course, the co-eds would be offset by the old, overweight fans.

Upon reflection, never mind. The visual is a little scary.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to Kiff_World_Order:

it taste like chicken.

iowavol writes:

in response to chuck0303#1342365:

Anything managed by Adams is a POS.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to gatorzz:

fear the kiffin.

Fear The Kiffin.

FEAR THE KIFFIN!!!

1963volfan writes:

Yes i will be there, with bells on.One more tid bit about the B-Ball game sunday.The only thing better than beating the Gators is beating the Gators 4 straight.

Vol43 writes:

Mr. Fulmer would not approve.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to 1963volfan:

1963....i loved it too. also love reading the lopers marginalize the loss.

adams.... whether you like him or not, he made a nice comment in his article after the game.

billy d...2 national championships and one win against pearl. i guess it's easier to win a national championship in gainesvul than it is to beat the vols.

Vol43 writes:

I doubt that Mr. Fulmer would desire to be present when 'The Phoenix has risen from the ashes' appears. Coming soon at a football field near you. Don't miss it!!