Monte Kiffin's goals: understanding the system and practicing hard

Monte Kiffin has a pair of goals for spring practice.

A deep understanding of his system would be great. Practicing hard is a must.

“To get our players to quickly learn the system,” Tennessee’s defensive coordinator said of his expectations of spring practice, which begins Tuesday. “I’m taking for granted that they’re going to play hard, but we have to make sure of that. I’ve seen them work hard in conditioning.

“How fast they can pick up the system? That allows us to do more things in the system.”

Kiffin seems understandably frustrated with the constraints of college football. Imagine the longtime NFL coach overlooking a workout in which the NCAA won’t allow a football.

Imagine Kiffin being told that the sports governing body only allows 20 hours per week to devote to football.

Things are quite a bit different with NFL athletes.

“They can spend 20 hours a day if they want to,” Kiffin said. “Those guys will come in in the morning and stay all day.”

Yet there’s a tradeoff. Almost three decades since he last coached in college, Kiffin is ready to teach true students once again.

“This is what’s it’s all about,” Kiffin said. “You watch conditioning workouts and get a feel for the players but you really don’t know until you get out on the field.

“I’m excited to get out there and teach.”

Excited only begins to describe the emotions. Antsy is probably more accurate.

“We’re way behind on installing our new defense,” Kiffin said. “But that’s true with anybody coming in. (UT head coach) Lane (Kiffin) has the same thing on offense. We’ve got to get to our players and get the most out of our time.”

Monte Kiffin won’t be thinking solely about the 2009 season as he implements his defense. Long-term improvement also is in Kiffin’s mindset.

As proof that the best defenses can take time, Kiffin points to coach Nick Saban at Alabama, which went from 7-6 in 2008 to 12-2 in 2009.

“How much can they learn in one year?” Kiffin said. “With this system, there’s a lot to it but they have to draw the line as to how much they can execute in the system.

“I think Saban went through that in Alabama. The second year, they certainly got better.”

Kiffin will soon have to assess just how much his players have absorbed. The more they learn, the more diverse his defense can be. Yet expanding the playbook comes with inherent risks.

“You don’t want to do so much you confuse your players,” Kiffin said.

UT’s players have done their best to get better on their own during a hyper-eventful offseason. Sure, they’ve all watched tape — but that’s only so effective.

“It’s not the same as us being there,” Kiffin said. “You can watch tape but you have to learn to watch tape through the position coach that is coaching you.”

Kiffin is best known for his “Tampa Two” defense. In truth, every team utilizes some form of a Cover Two defense — most commonly characterized by two safeties downfield to prevent big plays.

UT ran a Cover Two defense under former defensive coordinator John Chavis.

“There’s some similarities,” Kiffin said. “They did quite a few things off the Tampa Two. But there are differences. Everybody plays Cover Two different.”

Being dubbed the master of the Tampa Two defense is a compliment — albeit somewhat trite.

“It just so happens we win the Super Bowl in 2002 and everybody calls it the Tampa Two,” Kiffin said, “but if we don’t win the Super Bowl, it’s probably not called the Tampa Two.”

While coaching the Minnesota Vikings, Kiffin used a more familiar moniker.

“We just called it Cover Two,” Kiffin quipped.

Playing the best defense this season will largely rely on playing the best defenders. Finding the right guys — and not just the right plays — will be the mantra of spring practice.

“This spring is about our players,” Kiffin said. “It’s very important to get our players in the right position. Who fits our scheme the best?

“We’re just looking for players right now. There are not many veteran starters that are locked in at a position.

“It’s going to be pretty wide open this spring; it really is.”

Berry Good: It’s hardly a surprise that star safety Eric Berry has caught Kiffin’s eye.

“He’s an awesome player but he’s also awesome just in workouts,” Kiffin said. “He’s here every day. He doesn’t miss. He loves football. He gets real fired up.”

Having an experienced safety in this year of transition is a luxury that Kiffin appreciates.

“Eric is one thing you can hang your hat on,” Kiffin said.

Schedule: UT opens spring practice Tuesday and will practice Thursday and Friday before taking a week off for spring break. UT will hold a pro day Wednesday for players to workout for NFL scouts.

Awesome!!!!!

VAvolfanRON writes:

Here is a negative twist.....I hope Eric looks horrible on Pro Day!!!!!....lol....

I do think we will be more prepared than ever before.....this day and age, it seems like you have to work harder and harder......It's ironic, because before this article was posted, I was wondering what scale (from 1 to 10) was Eric performing in the weight room....as a leader to the others...It seems this answered that

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

I like the 3-3-5 Defense it is a hardcore Defense that puts on tons of pressure on the other temas offense and disrupts and causes them to make mistakes... and it is used to stop the spread!!!!!

Cover 2 is cool too.I guess the thing is you don't just use the same defense all the time you show diffrent looks and then go with whatever you think the team is going to do.

I guess what I am trying to say is you don't just line up and use what you are showing.

If I am offense and someone is in a defense to stop the run I audible and pass once they have showed me there D.
You stop an offense from doing this by not showing what you are going to hit them with.

belayvol writes:

A good reason to be very optomistic and fired up for this season. It has been a long time since the fire was burning in our players. Let's hope this is a start to a freakin inferno.

Ironcity writes:

Sounds like Monte doesn't intend to blow the guys away with to much like a past OC did. I like the candor of this group of coaches and I look forward to seeing who ends up on the field next fall.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

I've heard all the talk, for years. Let's see if these guys can earn their $$$$ and coach. Spring and Game Day both.bonzaivol

Halls3 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

You are right a 3-3-5 does put pressure on other teams & can stop a spread but Florida's spread isn't a passing spread like what the 3-3-5 is good at stopping. With 3 DL & 3 LBs you have to rely on the secondary to stop penetration by a player like Tebow & no one has ever put Tebow flat on his butt especially a DB. Plus, the Cover 2 is good when your defense has 5 HOFs on it. Some teams, such as the 49ers, run a Cover 2 & their defense is horrible & looking at UT's defense it doesn't have the talent like that of the 1990s. Maybe I'm wrong but right now I don't have faith that Monte has the talent to stop a team like Florida no matter what defense he runs.

supersteve17 writes:

All of us Tennessee fans are going to have to be patient. I trust that Monte and the rest of the coaches know what they are doing. I realize that "patience" is a rare commodity these days, but this transition will not take place overnight. Let's temper our excitement with reality.

in response to Halls3:

Yes Sir this is what I am talking about.
This is one heck of a post.
Awesome Awesome Awesome post!
This is what I want to talk about and discuss right here boys.

I agree with everything you said right now we don't have the DL and LB's to stop Florida.I didn't really want to say this out loud because of our Tenn fans and ruin there hope.There are some people that have faith and think we might beat Florida somehow and I didn't want to bust there bubble or whatever.
TO these people I want you to know from a standpoint of real football and stratagies our coaches are working twd getting what we need to "shut"down Fla.

You are also correct sir about the spread Florida runs it is a run spread and the 3-3 is what will stop that unless they pass and we blitz Berry and leave 4 in coverage.

I could go on and on because I love this and this really is some fun stuff to get into.I mean its "true straight up intelligence" to break it down and discuss football like this and be "on point" with what it takes to destroy a team both offensive and Defensively speaking.

One of the main things on Defense is getting your reads so you can know how to attack.
Let me go ahead and post this cause its getting long and I will talk about reads and how if you watch the offensive linemen what they do tells you what play they are going to run when the ball is snapped!

OOPS HAD A error meant to say this

You are also correct sir about the spread Florida runs it is a run spread and the 3-3 is """""NOT"""" what will stop that **unless they pass*** and we blitz with say E. Berry and leave 4 in coverage. I hope that is right what I am trying to relay to you based on what I know or have learned with no coaching knowledge!

This is so high tech stuff please forgive me if I get too excited and make an error or miss a word!

I am going to call this Advanced technics Football:101

I want to talk about how to get a "read" playing as a Safety (you have to get your reads on Def no matter what positin you are playing)

When reading a play as a saftey the most important thing as a safety in football is to read thru the Tackle (T) (=
The tackle is going to tell you exacly whats going on.
If the tackle crosses the line of SCRIM its going to be a run.
If the tackle "does" not cross the line of scrimage its going to be a pass.
Even if its a DELAY as a saftey you are kinda still just backing up and your still true to the play cause nothing has happened yet cause the tackle has not crossed the line of scrimage.

More times than not a safety is used in the run game or for me personally I like to use them to Blitz but I am kinda a gambler and I like to use certain players on Def to cause turnovers by wrecking havok and disrupting plays.

By the way I just wanted to say I love Defense its the "NEW OFFENSE"

Hope this was an ok read---LOL!

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to Halls3:

You slow a well run spread and you keep it off the field with a good offense. Our weakness at this time. In this era, a well executed spread will put more points on the board than a well run pro style offense. Easier to get players who can play the spread than pro style. Not many six foot five QB's and WO'S GO VOLS

Check this out...

I use a very mean & physical punishing run game to keep the spread off the field and eat up the clock.With the shorter games due to the new clock it works very well.ALSO...If you can cause a few turnovers things "GEL"

I may be ok at knowin how to stop Florida but can anyone tell me how to stop Alabamma. Does anyone know?
Please comment!

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

Check this out...

Please comment!

Did you see the SEC championship game That seemed to work well.. Oh, they all so tried the clock mgt thing. Everybody has a fight plan until they get hit in the mouth.

in response to teampenny#658108:

RIGHT...I know what you mean I was watching a video on Youtube where FLA was playing USC and USC was in the 3-3-5 and Florida actually passed on them and Tebow threw a 50 yard Bomb for a TD like it was nothing.

3-3-5 is supposed to stop the spread pass.

I have been looking at alot of video and using NCAA football 2009 on Xbox360 and that is a very good way to try various things to stop it.

I have some more idea's but
I am trying to get some other posters involved I don't want to be the one doing all the talking.

richvol writes:

If your going to pin your hopes of beating Florida on defense you can forget it. The key is to score on YOUR possessions. The defense needs to slow them down,play field position and try to turn them over. Some mistakes by them would help. Special teams play a huge role as well.

This is exactly how Ole Miss and Michigan beat them. This is also why they have beaten us so badly in the past several years. Fulmer's teams played awful on special teams,turned the ball over repeatedly and could not score with a very average offense. Getting players like NuKeese and Oku is a step in the right direction but until we get some Percy Harvins we are going to continue to struggle to beat them unless the Planets line up just right on gameday.

belayvol writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

Check this out...

Please comment!

beating bama is easy. You steal your cheerleaders from Hillcrest Nursing Home, give them all a big chew of Red Man, put them toothless wonders right up on the sideline when they are on offense and when they ogle the goods, you steal the ball and run it back for a TD.

I heard that dangling a pork chop will confuse the defense also.

Volumni writes:

in response to The_Four_Horsemen:

Let's just eliminate the whole sequence: Take off the headphones you weren't listening to, clap four times, put the headphones back on, repeat after every bad play.

in response to belayvol:

I heard that dangling a pork chop will confuse the defense also.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Funny stuff

GerryOP writes:

in response to belayvol:

I heard that dangling a pork chop will confuse the defense also.

180 -- Fear The Kiffin...

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

A lot of this boils down to whether you play on the center's nose or you take the o-line gaps. As always, if you have good DT's, you can run a lot of schmes and do just fine.

With the right athletes, you can start in a 5-2 set and switch to a 6-1, or a 4-4, or 3-3 'on the fly'. the the key is the '3' up front have to be pretty persistant, aggressive ballplayers.

in response to Timed_vol:

I agree this is a good post!

I was trying to figure out a way to explain "reads" cause with the spread if you get a clue what they are going to do you have a better chance of stopping them.

Can anyone explain how to read a play?
Thats not something most can explain unless they played the position.

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to richvol:

Wasnt NuKeese supposed to be floridas next hardin until we got him? But of course who was percy harvin his freshman year. I think we have the talent to hang with florida and bama and the overrated dawgs (Richt = Fulmer II). Wasnt that class with crompton like 5th in the country? Did we really miss on every recruit that year? are they all busts? I'm only looking forward to competing right now...just compete. NO MORE BLOWOUTS.

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

I agree this is a good post!

Can anyone explain how to read a play?
Thats not something most can explain unless they played the position.

From which position?

in response to alwaysorange81:

From which position?

I know the Safety mostly reads the RT and LT.

How does the D-Line and LB get there reads?

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

I know the Safety mostly reads the RT and LT.

How does the D-Line and LB get there reads?

I used to read the guard tackle gap at DT. We were young so the tackles would tend to split wider for a run off tackle to their side. Closer if they were going to pull. The guard would sit back a little on his haunches if he was going to pull and would have all weight on his fingers if he was going to fire out at you. All OL sit higher in their stance for pass blocking. Double teams usually come on the play side so just try to stand at least one guy straight up and let your DE or OLB fill your gap.

alwaysorange81 writes:

LB's read differently for different game situations. Third and short requires a diff read than 1 and 10 because you expect certain things and Off. personnel are different. LB's, especially Mike LB have probably the most important and complex read responsibilities depending on your defense. most of the time they're reading all five linemen but the guards are key. If your at MLB and one of the guards looks at you while walking into his stance, he's comin for you and the play is to one of his gaps. WLB is concerned with the fullback and weak side tackle SLB is all TE and tackle and always assumes he's the play side. Again these are the defenses I played in years ago so things could be different or outdated but thats how we played.

in response to alwaysorange81:

OH MAN THIS IS AWESOME RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

I think its freakin awesome to hear about this and learn.

Sowith what you are saying and what I am learning about alot of times the Defense may know what play is coming but due to a blown assignment or busted coverage... a play develops.

I think with the Spread the fake handoffs and stuff trick the DEF.or freezes them till a play develops

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

OH MAN THIS IS AWESOME RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

I think its freakin awesome to hear about this and learn.

Any offense based on misdirection has to be played defensively with assignment football. The defense has to dictate the game to the offense by maintaining containment on the corners (DE's & CB's) filling the interior gaps (DT's & MLB) and getting good pressure and penetration (OLB's). Switching in and out of man and cover 1 or 2 is good because often the TE becomes the hotpass on an interior blitz and if say Eric Berry is on a delayed man assignment the QB will have thrown the ball before he realizes EB is coming up to cover (Pick6). Defense can be fun. Plays develop out of the spread or misdirection because of either missed assignments or poor discipline on defense or just indefensible execution by the offense. Reference the UT Air force game from a couple years back to see poor defensive discipline against a misdirection offense heavily outmatched in athleticism and talent. This is why I think we have a shot against florida. Discipline and execution can beat talent any day.

in response to alwaysorange81:

See thats why I like Defense so much cause there is so much going on and its a big wrestling match going on and you get to knock someone's head off.

I like how you said the Lineman will look at you and that usually means he is going to try and take you out.That would be kinda cool to tell him BRING IT!!!!

I think any version of DL or LB and even Safety would be a cool position. I am not much on CB.

Thanks for explaining that to me I will read it a few times.
Did you play for TENN?

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to BigVolMan:

He seems like the kind of kid that would stick around. I give it 50-50 mostly because his family is so solid. Most kids go pro because they need to. And EB is a god around here. But its hard to pass up 20Million guaranteed.

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

Thanks for explaining that to me I will read it a few times.
Did you play for TENN?

In my wildest dreams I played for Tennessee. Unless you count PS3. Im a high school has been with two bad knees.

in response to rammerjammer987:

How is it going Jammer?
I finally caught up with you.

Enjoyed the chit chat the other night bro!!!!

in response to alwaysorange81:

hey I heard that Brother I wish I could have played for them too.

I am a has been too.
Its better to has been than never been at all.
I am still livin off my old glory days though.
AS Wooderson said in the movie "dazed and confused" you just got to keep LIVIN
I play the heck out of NCAA football 2009 on XBOX

Hey man thanks for explaining that to me I think that rocks!

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

hey I heard that Brother I wish I could have played for them too.

I am a has been too.
Its better to has been than never been at all.
I am still livin off my old glory days though.
AS Wooderson said in the movie "dazed and confused" you just got to keep LIVIN
I play the heck out of NCAA football 2009 on XBOX

Hey man thanks for explaining that to me I think that rocks!

No problem.

in response to rammerjammer987:

Oh its going good thanks for asking I got the day off I may go chase some tail or have a few beers in Chattanooga.

Man I am excited about spring Football.I cannot wait till Sept though to see what the product looks like.
You remember what thats like a couple of years ago when Saban came.When you get a new coach you cannot wait to check it out!

What games are you going to this year?

cgbtn writes:

What I wonder is does Monte Kiffin know how to stop a 240 lb QB from gaining 20 yds on the option while those two safeties are in deep coverage? One doesn't often have that problem in the NFL.

in response to alwaysorange81:

No problem.

I am about to crash out I worked all night but I will look for you on here again.

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

right on

Pullingguard writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

I think Pro Day is for seniors and declared underclasmen coming into the draft.. Pretty sure other players are not involved, so Barry would be eliminated from participating in those drills.

alwaysorange81 writes:

in response to cgbtn:

Well he's only got to do that one more year and that 20 yard tebow run isnt going to win the game in most instances. Also Monte doesnt have to worry about it as much if the offense can limit Tebow's touches by staying on the field. Whats the strategy against peyton and Brady? Keep em off the field, sometimes thats all you can do.

in response to rammerjammer987:

Will do I am down to drink one!!!!!

You know I have never been to T Town.I really need to go to some away games so I can see all the different stadiums.I forgot Bama was playing VT that should be a cool game.Ole Miss should be a good one too.

I was thinking earlier man Bama has lit us up the last few games we need to learn how to keep them from killing us each game--LOL!!
have a good day good luck with that paper

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Hope everybody has a ROCKIN day and keep this post Rolling it is the best one ever you know...

AirGibson writes:

DrJCrown, while I'm also an avid fan of football video games such as Madden, NCAA, and AP2K2, the "football strategies" you learned through video games are not terribly relevant. When it comes down to brass tacks, those games are actually pretty bad "simulators" as there is so much that is outrageously unrealistic about them. Let's not tell people we're going to give them a lesson in "Football 101" based on what we learned of a video game. ;D

jsm67vol writes:

in response to alwaysorange81:

Great Post! It is very easy for expectations to begin to rise when we as vol fans read articles that interview our new staff. This new staff has a way of getting us fans all fired up. Apparently its working on the players too. Thats a good thing, but expecting this team to beat FL in the swamp and bama in Tuscaloser in 09 is a bit of a stretch IMO. Don't get me wrong, I think its possible, just not something I EXPECT to happen. What I do expect from this team is to compete in those games. No more blowouts. I want to see these games come down to the final possession of the 4th quarter, not the first half. Just Compete for entire game!!! If UT can do this in 09 vs. all SEC foes and win against the non-conf teams, I for one will be ok with that for 09 season.

FLAVOLS writes:

Too much love happenin' this morning. I gotta loosen it up some...
Go to HE77 Alabubba!

Whew! That feels better. Now the world is spinning again.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Dupree told me this AM Bama has swung their full attention to their losing streak.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

The way to play defense is to focus on the man with the ball and visualize them as someone who has hurt you or said bad things to you and then take out all your anger on them when you tackle them. Oh and also make sure before you start to hydrate yourself with some quality H2O...that's what mama always says.

volroadwarrior writes:

in response to rammerjammer987:

We'er comin to git you BOY. And you and other bammers know it.

murrayvol writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

3-3-5 is a good system but I prefer the 4-4-5 that Alabama played in 92'. You can rush 6 on every down, leave 2 lbs to cover underneath and still keep 5 guys deep.

Damn near impossible to beat if you have good players.