Morley held out of practice; no contact for Berry

Eric Berry on Spring practice and the new coaches

Demetrice Morley wasn’t allowed to participate Tuesday as Tennessee opened spring practice because the senior safety was late for a meeting. Sophomore Stephaun Raines and freshman Prentiss Waggner filled in.

Morley has had more than his fair share of disciplinary issues. He was dismissed from school for academic shortcomings in 2007 but returned for the 2008 season.

Fellow safety Eric Berry is doing his best to overcome offseason shoulder surgery.

“I won’t be doing any contact, but I will be going through all the drills and walkthroughs,” the junior said. “No contact and no scrimmages.”

Not being able to hit is the biggest pain for Berry.

“It (no contact) is killing me right now,” Berry said.

Even when healthy, Berry is known for pushing prudent practice limits.

“The trainers will be on the sideline, and they’ll keep an eye on me because they know I try to push it a little bit,” Berry said. “They’ll calm me down every now and then.”

tigervol77 writes:

set them straight!!

montanavolfan writes:

Good start for Mr. Morley.

txvolsfan writes:

Good start for coach

tigervol77 writes:

We lacked discipline last year.

JBruce writes:

Morley is the most talented idiot on that team. If he had half as much heart as he has talent, he would be an All American this year.

baldfan writes:

hope he is running the "steps"!

GerryOP writes:

Two ways to learn, the hard way and the easy way. Your choice DeMo.

And I am sure Coach Kiffin added, "That's one -- don't make repeat this."

CT_VOL writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

I got news for you: Morely is not that good. He was consistently out of position last season and can't tackle. Perhaps a little less swagger would help him.

Frank

ethanfrome writes:

Good job coach. This guy needs discipline (mugger). Impress upon him the importance of the straight-and-narrow and his talent will take him a long way.

kabzs writes:

Every player noted in the Fulmer era just before Coach Cut returned from his Ole Miss sabatical that the UT team discipline had been non-existent. That comment was echoed when Fulmer was let go this past fall.
Now all player positions are up for grabs. Morley sitting out can't be any help for him. This will get his attention. I bet he won't be late anymore. (Remember, Kiff wanted to fire someone because his driver was 20 min late picking him up from the airport.) The message should be getting out to the team.

Memo to team: There's a new Sheriff in town.

jimr07 writes:

in response to CT_VOL:

Frank

Frank...have you told Kiffin about this yet? He probably cannot tell from watching the film.

golfballs03 writes:

Get with it D-Mo

BIG_ORANGE_BLEEDER writes:

D MORLEY IS ONE OF THE MOST ATHLETIC GUYS WE HAVE. I HOPE THE COACHES CAN HELP HIM SEE AND EXPERIENCE HIS FULL POTENTIAL. HE COULD VERY WELL HAVE NFL TALENT.

dvhill100 writes:

"What we have here is a failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach". (Cool Hand Luke)

Morley should have figured this out a while ago. Waiting tables because he wouldn't do what he had to. This coach isn't going to put up with much of anything. We also seem to be deep in the backfield. He had best "Get his mind right." (Same movie)

memphis_vol_fan writes:

Morley will straighten himself out. He's come to far from what he used to be to screw up now. I expect him to have a huge spring under Monte's defense.

Vol43 writes:

I'll tell you guys one thing for sure. You think the interlopers are a problem? Not even close. The problem here in Nashville is AM 560, more specifically, Bill King and the Tennesse football hater of all time, Joe Biddle. These guys HATE Tennessee football with a voracious appetite. Biddle has never liked UT and we all know that. King, on the other hand, used to be a VOL, especially when he worked with Bob Bell. Whatever turned him against UT is anybody's guess. Even today they couldn't wait to trash Kiffin on the radio. They look for any opportunity to discredit Lane Kiffin and company. I really wish Bob Bell would come back on the radio. If you ever listen to the show, you will see what I'm talking about. Boycott Bill King's show.

pms151 writes:

in response to Vol43:

Give Joe a break. He is the only reason I listen. He calls them like he sees them much unlike the boys from KNS on their show.

Mansonlamps writes:

Steeee-riiiikkee one!!!!!

Volfan1 writes:

in response to Vol43:

Maybe King is sore that Kesling got John Ward's job instead of him.
King used to do the PPV football games. I think the guy from Chattanooga (Randy Smith?) does now. Maybe that's what turned him.

Vol43 writes:

in response to pms151:

I have lived in Nashville all my life, over 60 years. I have been a sports fan all my life. If it wasn't for my wife enjoying the morning Tennessean, I would have canceled long ago because of Biddle. He doesn't like Tennessee football, never has; never will. I know his history. Yes, he has nice things to say about Pat Summit, but that's as far as it goes. I am sick of listening everyday about something negative concerning UT football on this station. They lie in wait for anything bad to report about UT football. Don't believe me? Well just listen. A tiger doesn't change his stripes.

UTROX writes:

Glad to see we finally have some discipline being practiced.

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

Not surprising this this gosh darn young man was a Foolmore recruit

ThurmondEppy writes:

D-Mo, I'm a big fan of you for working hard and getting yourself back in school after failing out. Come on man, you've got a great future in front of you. One more year. Don't blow it!

Vol43 writes:

Sorry guys, I really don't mean to vent, but it would be nice to tune in to an afternoon sports program in the middle of BIG ORANGE country and hear something positive about the VOLS. Instead, you only hear the most negative news from am560. Hey, it gets depressing.

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

I hope we hear more on the 1st practice than this. The media is allowed to all the practices, right?

Vol43 writes:

in response to Volfan1:

Maybe King is sore that Kesling got John Ward's job instead of him.

That's plausable. Hadn't really thought about that, but something big happened, obviously.

TommyJack writes:

Morley has talent. But CLK has the club. Props to the Coach.

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Morley has talent. But CLK has the club. Props to the Coach.

unlike FOOLMORE

101st_AIRBORNE_VOL (Inactive) writes:

in response to Vol43:

Can't remember the exact station, but there's a sports station outta Nashville that I used to listen to every day the past few years that had pretty good coverage on the Vols that wasn't anti-UT. I just know it was an FM channel. If Biddle and King drive you that nuts, just turn the channel, that simple. BTW, The Replacements is on HBOZN, one of the most hilarious sports movies ever!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

don't tell me Morley is gonna start off on his old ways again. I say one more misstep and can him, coach. He can be a great player, but we need discipline.

Vol43 writes:

in response to 101st_AIRBORNE_VOL:

Thanks for the info 101. I don't like trashing people; it just gets OLD after awhile. GO VOLUNTEERS

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to WorkinLikeHeck:

unlike FOOLMORE

Give it a rest already!!!!! Sheesh,

givehim6 writes:

in response to kabzs:

Memo to team: There's a new Sheriff in town.

And this sheriff is laying down the law!

TommyJack writes:

in response to KingsportVol:

Oh no. Has the General been incarcerated?

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to WorkinLikeHeck:

Not surprising this this gosh darn young man was a Foolmore recruit

So was Eric Berry.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to WorkinLikeHeck:

unlike FOOLMORE

Let's see, Kiffin makes him miss practice and Fulmer kicks him off the team back in 2006. Who is the disciplinarian?

ArealVolFan writes:

Seriously getting sick of the Fulmer haters. He is gone, let it go. He can do you no more harm. Let the mans name rest. He brought UT a lot of great players and a National Title. Thats how I'll remember him. Not for his slide over the past several years. Support Kiffin and the staff have now, and look forward to the future of UT football. Don't waste your breath hating on a man that never did anything wrong to you and who can't hurt your football team anymore. Its old and worn out.

DisorientedVol writes:

Looks to me he is opening the door for Myles or maybe Jackson. Good job Morley and/or Kiffin.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to NO_DIGGITY:

hah, not the same thing. He got kicked off for things that were a lot worse than missing a meeting. Don't try to compare the two.

invisiblekid writes:

All Morley needs to know is this: Prentiss Waggner, Janzen Jackson, Art Evans, and Darren Myles. If he doesn't do the job, one of these guys will.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to ArealVolFan:

you may have to repeat this great post every 20 minutes or so!..

I hope this is an eye opener for DM.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Morley not long for this orange world.

Good luck, young man.

thevoice writes:

in response to BIG_ORANGE_BLEEDER:

Carl Pickens had talent. So did Leonard Little, Travis Henry (not the basketball player), Kelly Washington, and so on. It's a little more than talent that counts. If anyone doesn't respect his team enough to be punctual at team meetings, we have a problem. Fast Lane will weed this garbage out in a heartbeat.

orangevolz writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Morley will probably never play another game at UT. He is a big-time idiot who just doesn't get it. He has had multiple chances, but Kiffin won't put up with him and his poor attitude. He is an average player, and with all the DB talent we have, we don't even need a bad apple on the team.

bigdaddyUT writes:

IT DRIVE ME NUTS WHEN PLAYERS WITH SO MUCH TALENT THROW IT AWAY. CERTIANLY SEEMS MORLEY IS ON HIS WAY TO DOING JUST THAT.

ctownvol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

"Now pay attention guys. I'm mentoring and teaching here."-Phil Fulmer

RaineyVol writes:

LETS GO ERIC BERRY!!!!!!!! get better

volnut2003#230318 writes:

in response to ArealVolFan:

Thank you Real Vols Fan!
I agree completely.

We, the Vol Nation, need to concentrate the things that we have in common:
1. A pride in all things orange.
2. The chill that runs down our spine when the boys run through the T.
3. A fanatic need for info on our beloved Vols.
4. The smile that "Good Old Rocky Top" brings to our face and the inexplicable need to yell "Whew" after the stanza "Good Old Rockytop."
5. A knowledge of the history of Vol football which allows us to know things like Beatty Feathers was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian who played tailback and punted for the Vols and had 9.9 avg yds per carry and George Caffego's nickname was "Bad news gone with the wind."
6. The sickening feeling that comes over us after a loss to any opponent, but especially Alabama, Florida, Georgia, or heaven forbid - Vanderbilt!
7. The collective knowledge of the end of the phrase, "Pay these prices and pay ...
8. Listening to the GREAT John Ward make a mundane 2 yard run sound like an ESPN top 10 highlight.
9. John Ward's call of the FLA missed field goal, "No Siree, No Siree - Pan ... Dimonium!"
10. Pride in the Vol Navy.
11. Getting to games 2 hours early to see the Vol walk.
12. Taking your child to his or her first Vol game.
13. Buying new Vol flags and magnetic vol football helmets every season, whether you need new ones or not.
11. The collective jubilation when a fellow name Clint Stoerner tried to ballance himself on the football and lost it only to watch the Cheese take over the football game.
12. The collective depression when a perfectly executed screen pass went 75 yards to the same Cheese man only to be undone by a 49 second drive to victory by the DAWGS.
13. Massive Vol jubilation and heart failure in a 5 time overtime win over the TIDE - complete with fourth and 19 conversion to a seldom-used wide recevier from a Cool Cucumber from Cali.
14. I could go on for days, but you all get the picture!
We all love our Vols and want them to do well. We live vicariously through them in sometimes irrational ways (just ask my wife!). We get frustrated and chew out our coaches and players, but no one (especially the interlopers) better mess with or criticize our boys!

In short, we are family! Let's start acting that way.

David "Give Him Six, I bleed orange and White, Smokey Lovin',
Orange Lovin, Checkerboard Lovin'" Shanks

GO BIG ORANGE!

ctownvol writes:

in response to volnut2003#230318:

Thank you Real Vols Fan!
I agree completely.

We, the Vol Nation, need to concentrate the things that we have in common:
1. A pride in all things orange.
2. The chill that runs down our spine when the boys run through the T.
3. A fanatic need for info on our beloved Vols.
10. Pride in the Vol Navy.
11. Getting to games 2 hours early to see the Vol walk.
12. Taking your child to his or her first Vol game.
14. I could go on for days, but you all get the picture!

In short, we are family! Let's start acting that way.

David "Give Him Six, I bleed orange and White, Smokey Lovin',
Orange Lovin, Checkerboard Lovin'" Shanks

GO BIG ORANGE!

#12- That was Travis Stephens. But I loved your post.

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to BIG_ORANGE_BLEEDER:

Please turn off the caps.

Share your thoughts