Kiffin on pumping gas, evaluation of players

Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin was interviewed Thursday on The Sports Animal by Jimmy Hyams and John Wilkerson this afternoon. Here are some of the highlights:

*Kiffin said the ESPN report earlier this week about receiver prospect Alshon Jeffrey was disappointing and really discouraging.

Kiffin said he talked to Jeffrey this week. Kiffin said Jeffrey denied saying that Kiffin told him he would be pumping gas like all of the other prospects that went to South Carolina if he chose to sign with South Carolina.

*Kiffin said Tennessee’s quarterbacks completed 73-percent of their passes on Tuesday, the first day of spring practice.

*Kiffin lauded Gerald Jones, calling the receiver the most valuable player of Tuesday’s practice.

*Brandon Warren, who was moved from tight end to receiver end before spring practice began, showed flashes but struggled at times on Tuesday. The same held true for Aaron Douglas, who was moved from tight end to offensive tackle.

*Jacques McClendon didn’t participate fully in practice on Tuesday because he was ill. The offensive guard tried to practice through a fever but was pulled from practice by trainers.

*Safety Demetrice Morley will return to practice today after missing Tuesday as punishment for being late for a meeting earlier in the day. The senior will have to work his way back into the rotation, Kiffin said.

*Kiffin jokingly (maybe) invited anybody who could throw a football to join the team as a walk-on to give the Vols more depth at quarterback in practice. Kiffin said holder Bram Cannon threw some on Tuesday.

UT is down to two quarterbacks – Jonathan Crompton and B.J. Coleman – since Nick Stephens suffered a broken wrist last week.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Such is life in the fast lane.

Really positive story about Alabama at al.com/sports/press-register/pfinebaum.ssf.

If I screwed that up go to Al.com - click sports - Paul Finebaum "Tide AD situation is a mess".

Should warm the cockles of a Vol fan's heart

Triton1 writes:

I can throw, put me in coach1

StroVol writes:

Somebody at ESPN should be fired for letting that Jeffrey story get legs. What a bunch a bullsh..!

HtownVol writes:

Good. I hope that this becomes as publicized as it was that he said it.

cterblan writes:

I can throw.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

Maybe Boyd would have fit into the system. I do not know what to make of Kiffin.bonzaivol

gohawks1 writes:

6th paragraph: "*Brandon Warren, who was moved from receiver to tight end before spring practice began,..."

I believe you got that one backwards, Mr. Hooker. He went from TE to WR.

cterblan writes:

If ESPN had any credibility left they would offer a retraction.

cgbtn writes:

The Warren move is backwards, but we know what you meant.

DenverVol writes:

StroVol writes:

It was only time till CoachK mentioned the Man Gerald Jones. He is going shine like freaking gold in this system. I can't wait. SHAKE AND BAKE

Ringside writes:

Wonder if anyone is second guessing passing on Boyd?

StroVol writes:

in response to DenverVol:

Living in Denver, you probably do think you can still toss it. I hit a 320 yard drive in Denver two years ago. Fools gold

shoalcreekvol writes:

"Kiffin said Tennessee’s quarterbacks completed 73-percent of their passes on Tuesday, the first day of spring practice."

Freakin A. Does that mean they were all 5-yard slants?

gohawks1 writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

Freakin A. Does that mean they were all 5-yard slants?

We expect this level of play during the spring. JC is undefeated in practice.

TommyJack writes:

in response to gohawks1:

I believe you got that one backwards, Mr. Hooker. He went from TE to WR.

Hooker's barber is also his proof-reader.

nbt44 writes:

Dear God...no more Crompton. Please...no more Crompton!

Ringside writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

Freakin A. Does that mean they were all 5-yard slants?

No.By completion he meant the ball went beyond five yards and he also included interceptions, sideline benches, asst. coaches, and any seat in the first 20 rows.

StroVol writes:

in response to nbt44:

Dear God...no more Crompton. Please...no more Crompton!

He won't be the man. BJ knows football like Manning does. He will get the nod after OandW game. Fulmer gave him a playlist on a napkin for Vandy. Nobody has seen him play yet. This kid is a winner winner chicken dinner.

volstasis writes:

in response to Ringside:

No faith in our Qbs fellas. I know none of them did s*** last year, but they are collegiate level qbs for a reason. Now, what the reason is, I'm not sure. The jury is still out on them, but I think we should give them another chance under the new system before we throw them under the bus.

TommyJack writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Such is life in the fast lane.

Should warm the cockles of a Vol fan's heart

Good link, PD. This is painful to say....It was actually a good article by Finebaum.

Colliervol writes:

in response to StroVol:

Get used to it. Kiffin is the new media whipping boy until he wins some games. Then they'll be slobbering all over him.

StroVol writes:

in response to gatorzz:

Your such a fa.! "Am checking with NCAA rules" Get the f... out of here

govols87 writes:

Boyd is having surgery and wouldn't be on campus till the fall anyway. So how could he help at all had we signed him.

gatorzz: you can check all you want. Alshon Jefferey is not enrolled at SC and therefore is not a player.

volstasis writes:

in response to StroVol:

Your such a fa.! "Am checking with NCAA rules" Get the f... out of here

Ah, he's got to try to get everything he can on Kiffin before he goes to the swamp and rakes their azzes over the coals.

VAvolfanRON writes:

When you learn 'class' from Meyer, I can see why you don't have any. But, someone 'with' class would apologize for their comments on the Alshon story.

StroVol writes:

in response to volstasis:

To be this obsessed with our University, some UT fan must have kicked his azz at a TENN/florida game. There is no explaining his desire to post every negative article 20times about the vols. It's insanity.

dvhill100 writes:

LK needs to seriously consider going after ESPN for slander.

Caspian writes:

in response to gatorzz:

Get ready. We're coming.

volstasis writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

Espn's not gonna do that. Didn't you know that they are a bunch of saints, they do no wrong. If they report it, it might as well be chisled in stone.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to dvhill100:

LK needs to seriously consider going after ESPN for slander.

Maybe Slive will help him with that!!!!! lol

smokyredbone writes:

in response to gatorzz:

I've got something for you to check!!!STFU and LEAVE! Gator. Oscar Cryer would have had foley and slive call him!!!

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to volstasis:

Well, I have to agree with you on that point....but, my point was with the interlopers from U of Felons

volstasis writes:

in response to StroVol:

Well, you know how Tn boys like to pick on those puzzy gator fans.

longball writes:

in response to volstasis:

Faith is not there for a reason. I don't care how complicated the offense was. If you can't hit a dang receiver then you shouldn't be playing college football. There were plenty of uncomplicated plays that they still screwed up.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

Maybe Slive will help him with that!!!!! lol

I'm not holding my breath. I guess only Foley has the Commish's ear. Maybe he could accuse ESPN of accusing him of cheating.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to longball:

Keep in mind, if I understand Clausen's spread, was that receiver reads the defense and QB reads the defense......and then they determine what route they will run.......I truly believe that they weren't on the same page.....and the short hops, I understand...but they were just so darn confuse out there.....I really do have faith in there ability......besides, I know I can't do anybetter....

HollySpringsVOL writes:

in response to gatorzz:

I am checking with NCAA rules too and unfortunately there isn't one on @s*holes contacting, spewing garbage and trolling another teams message board.

FulmerWasSabanated987 writes:

in response to cterblan:

If ESPN had any credibility left they would offer a retraction.

Why because Kiffin said he didnt say it. Give me a break...Even if he didnt, its easy to believe beacuse of his track record.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to dvhill100:

LMAO........still......LAMO..........still.....LMAO!!!!

Tiger_Jokes writes:

"Safety Demetrice Morley will return to practice today after missing Tuesday as punishment for being late for a meeting earlier in the day. The senior will have to work his way back into the rotation, Kiffin said."

Accountability for your actions, this is very encouraging. Skills get you so far, character takes you over the top.

volstasis writes:

in response to longball:

No arguement from me there, longball.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to FulmerWasSabanated987:

It'd be nice if people would read the article before posting

OrangeRush writes:

in response to DenverVol:

"Wish I weren't 1300 miles away and 15 years too old, I'd throw that pigskin over Neyland Stadium and earn a ticket on the team. Pretty sure I could."

You're not "Uncle Rico" from Napoleon Dynamite, are you?

TommyJack writes:

I see ZZ continues to ruin this site. Be proud, poser.

Tiger_Jokes writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

It'd be nice if people would read the article before posting

Or did not blindly believe everything they see and hear through the media ... baaaa ... baaaa ...

troubleinc writes:

in response to gatorzz:

Please KNS, do all of us a favor and ban this Gator idiot.

Hey GatorZZ, the dude isn't even enrolled at USC yet. It should however be against GOVOLS.COM rules to allow you to continue to post your useless junk.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:05 pm EDT

Andre Smith's draft free fall continues
By MJD
Doesn't look like lil Nicky is coaching them up to good! GO VOLS!!!!

pastorlee#372395 writes:

I know this has nothing to do with the article, but what's the deal with the black practice shorts? I see a lot of black in the signs and the logos as well, (a lot more than I recall in the past). I hope I don't make the traditionalists mad by saying this, but don't be surprised if we see a black jersey this year.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to FulmerWasSabanated987:

I understand the credibility issue with LK. He has certainly made some statements he no doubt regrets and have been blown out of proportion by the media (all coaches have had that happen). LK above states he talked to the young man and he said he didn't say that. I believe LK. This would be too easy to disprove if false.

I think ESPN went off half cocked on this and it took on a life of its own.