Lady Vols pleased with their road

UT to face Ball State in NCAA opener

The NCAA tournament selection show was humorous, thought-provoking and entertaining for the Tennessee women’s basketball team.

One response it didn’t elicit was disappointment.

Not even UT’s No. 5 seed, the lowest seed in program history, was a downer for the gathering at Coach Pat Summitt’s pool house Monday night.

The Lady Vols (22-10) were placed in the Berkeley, Calif., regional, where they will play 12th-seed Ball State (25-8) at approximately 9:30 p.m. Sunday in Bowling Green, Ky. (TV: ESPN2)

No. 4 seed Iowa State (24-8) and No. 13 East Tennessee State (20-10) play in the other first-round game at E.A Diddle Arena.

The winners play Tuesday for a trip to Berkeley.

Summitt seemed genuinely pleased that she predicted both the right seed and the right regional to her coaching mentor, Billie Moore, who lives in Southern California. It’s the first time Tennessee, the two-time defending national champion, has been routed through a West regional.

“I told Coach Moore (Sunday) night, ‘well, if we can take care of business, we’ll see you in California,’ ’’ Summitt said

Freshman forward Alyssia Brewer described the seed in this manner: “somewhat, it’s just a number.”

“In my eyes, the seed, it’s an important part of where you’re put in the bracket and where your location is but it’s not an important part of how this team is going to play,’’ Brewer said. “A 15 seed can get to the Final Four. You never know. It’s just the game you bring. You control the game, not the people, where they put you, or what seed you get. It’s you yourself. You’re the only one out there playing.”

Brewer was in a thoughtful mood after the unveiling of the 64-team field — which included seven SEC teams, which tied the Big East Conference for the most bids.

The one-hour ESPN show included a segment of Summitt rebukes from the season, which drew hearty laughter from the players. There also were candid comments from Summitt, who has wondered whether she could get the best out of this team.

“If you look at the camera all of us just looked like we were depressed,’’ Brewer said. “She never said that before, watching it on TV, it was kind of an eye-opener.”

While Brewer was holding court, Lady Vols assistant coach Dean Lockwood passed by on his way to the office. The coaches’ first order of business was learning about Ball State, which earned the school’s first NCAA trip with a 55-51 victory over top-seed Bowling Green (Ohio) Sunday in the Mid-American Conference tournament championship game. The 25 victories is a school single-season record for the Cardinals.

It will be the first meeting between UT and Ball State. The Cardinals did play one other SEC team this season, losing at Alabama 81-75 on Dec. 30.

At this point, The Lady Vols know this much about their first-round game. Bowling Green’s relative proximity to both Knoxville and middle Tennessee ought to ensure a strong UT fan presence.

“I think it’s definitely going to be a big boost for us, especially since half the team is freshmen; we’ve never been in this position before,’’ Brewer said. “Being able to have their support, for them to have our back in the first two rounds is going to be so great. It’s only going to push us forward.”

Notebook: X-rays on freshman forward Glory Johnson’s right middle finger were negative. The injury she suffered in practice Sunday is being described as a sprain. It won’t preclude her from playing in the tournament.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

yeah, want to see the full bracket.

seofeed writes:

Go Lady Vols! Wishing you the best of luck!

Rick4UT writes:

5 seed is not bad...These young ladies need to grow up fast.I am expecting a miracle....Go Vols !!!!!!

ps11824 writes:

ahillen writes:

Made a fix in story. Lady Vols actually open in Bowling Green, Ohio, Sunday. It is the Berkeley, Calif., regional but UT wouldn't actually get to Berkeley until the Sweet 16.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

if we beat ball state, would most likely face Iowa State. they are physical with good guard play. Not an easy match. Iowa State whacked vandy early in the year. It's winnable, but it won't be easy.

after that, we'd face dook...would rather have faced stanford again.

TechsterVol writes:

It's actually in Bowling Green, KY, at Western Kentucky University. Not Bowling Green, Ohio.

ps11824 writes:

It's time to face up, mparker.

blitzshoot writes:

Good luck Lady Vols! Don't get caught looking forward.

LadyVolFanForever writes:

Now we know our path, let's just take one game at a time and GET IT DONE !

bmaples, will be elated as he will get to attend. Yell loudly for me and wear ORANGE as I won't get to go.

Go Lady Vols ! Play your hearts out and hold your heads up high !!!

ahillen writes:

Stand corrected again. We'll get it right eventually. It is Bowling Green, Ky.

LdyVolFaninKS writes:

in response to ahillen:

Stand corrected again. We'll get it right eventually. It is Bowling Green, Ky.

Wrong again, it's OH. Doesn't matter, the LV's will prevail where ever they play. Sure was hoping for OKC so I could see them play again!

ps11824 writes:

Does anybody besides me think it's too cool that Kellie Harper's team will play Vandy, and can beat them? Did you notice Carolyn Peck had the Commodores going right thru as if WCU had nothing to offer?

mimath314#252411 writes:

get hot 5 in a row

teampenny#658108 writes:

Best of luck Lady Vols!

CTOWNICON writes:

Ok lady vols, now you know what road you have to take so lets go full speed ahead, take no prisoners and underestimate no team. It is tournament time and all records and rankings go out the door. None of that matters now so get ready to do battle with every opponent that you face. Good luck!

ps11824 writes:

Our Lady Vols are headed to greatness. Wake the sleeping giant, Pat.

xvolx writes:

This is almost like Christmas morning. Ball state and Iowa st. Brewer, you might get your guarantee. Don't want to pass over ETSU. Since I graduated from ETSU, would have to pull for Bucs against Lady Vols. Go Lady Vols and Bucs.

bmaples writes:

I checked the NCAA site and the official bracket, and it's Bowling Green, KENTUCKY. In the arena at Western Kentucky -- E.A. Diddle arena (named for the famous coach of the Hilltoppers, who always carried a red towel and chewed on it when things got stressful).

If they beat Ball State, then they will probably play Iowa State. ISU lost to Oklahoma by 9 and to Baylor by 6, and were third in the Big 12.

I think the Lady Vols will beat Ball State, especially since we should have a good crowd at the game. (Bowling Green is on the border with Tennessee, and is an hour from Nashville.)

Iowa State, on the other hand, will be a tough, tough out. They start three seniors, a junior, and a sophomore. One interesting fact -- in the schedules I looked at on ESPN, they have never made the Sweet 16.

I think the LV can keep that Sweet 16 streak alive, but it's going to be tough. It sounds just like the men's story ... if the right team shows up, they can make some noise. If the "other" team shows up, it could be a long night and a short tourney.

And -- yes, I'm going to be there on Sunday, and on Tuesday as well!

Bruce in Louisville

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

you guys are being foolish. I don't know much about ball sstate, but I can tell you this: iowa State will come out to win. they wiil NOT be intimidated.

better quit the 'easy' talk now unless you wish to create even more incentive for ISU. They beat Texas and lost to Baylor by 6. I can tell you this, we will get our butts kicked if we don't respect every opponant. You guys remember texas, right?? smoked us by about 14??

you remember vandy, right?? the team that beat us by 16, then we beat them by 9 in a tough game???

It is REALLY iffy for us to make the sweet 15. I haven't even looked up Ball State yet.

I would suggest you folks look before running off about how easy it is going to be.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Play like there's a raccoon on the deck, LVs.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to bmaples:

And -- yes, I'm going to be there on Sunday, and on Tuesday as well!

Bruce in Louisville

absoultely; I cannot believe how some of these posters are. the Big 12 was better than the SEC this year. Baylor, Texas, Oklamoma, and Iowa State are all tough.

I'll give you a hint: know all the dumb ball-handling mvoes we make?? ISU won't make them.

ps11824 writes:

bmaples and mparker, there's a difference in being positively supportive and being stupid. I choose to be positively supportive. I know we can win if we play hard and respect every opponent. I hope all Lady Vols fans will see us winning, after all, that's what fans do since we can neither score points nor make defensive stops.

PeayPride writes:

I have a scenario. What if my alma mater Austin Peay (Lets Go Peay) beats Duke which will never happen. MTSU, ETSU, and UT win. That means four teams from Tennessee will playing each other in the same regional tournament. It probably wont happen since Peay has to play Duke.

CTOWNICON writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

You wish, you been under your rock for a while, go crawl back under it. Geno been at Uconn for 24 years at least thats what a commentator during one of his games said because I don't follow Geno, but 24 years and only have 5 championships, what's so great about that? Actually it is an underachievement to me, being that you Uconn fools are trying to make him out to be something he is not. Twenty-four years and 5 championships ain't all that.

bmaples writes:

So, Butch, have you been taking lessons from Mikey and you're just being a jerk? Or is your name for Coach Summitt a racist comment?

Either way, I recommended removal. Too close to racist for me.

Bruce in Louisville

xvolx writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

we're not saying it will be easy, we're saying it could be worse.

ps11824 writes:

I can't believe someone suggested removal of a succinct comment which seemed most apropos. I was simply reminded of the theme song from a very unlikely hit comedy of the 70s when the Lady Vols path to St Louis was revealed. How did I violate your user agreement?

GVX, how can you allow the insolent defamatory comments of certain unwelcome trolls from wherever to stay posted while you promptly remove my satirical response to the article?

I apologize if I insulted anyone.

OKEMO writes:

OKEMO say

lady vols will take down
david letterman's ball state fightin' cardinals
iowa state will give lady vols
all they want and more

smoke signal clear on victory against cards
still too smokey on iowa state

OKEMO has spoken

BigRngFan_9 writes:

One and Done !!!!!!!!!!!!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to ps11824:

I apologize if I insulted anyone.

I'm not quite sure why that got wiped out. maybe it was a copyright deal, cause there was nothing 'out of the rules' in what you posted.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

By all rights we should defeat Ball State. The question is,how hard does BS push us, and will be focused to 'take care of business'.

As for ISU, I'd compare them to Vandy. Someone who knows the SEC better can maybe choose a better comparison. They are well-coached and confidant, and will be EXTREMELY fired up to play the LV's.

ladivolfan writes:

in response to h8ag8r:

Hard to choose, hard to choose. I'm an all out Lady Vol fan, but I cannot foget our Lady Bucs.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to ps11824:

I apologize if I insulted anyone.

I didn't see your comments, but it is a valid point KNS is inconsistent on removal of the comments it finds offensive. I would guess most removals are as a result of another poster clicking the remove button. I don't know if they actively monitor the threads and remove comments on their own. KNS, any explanation or amplification?

adimatteo#261830 writes:

Good luck ladies, you worked hard, now enjoy it, and knock them dead, win or lose, youre Lady Vols... that wont change...

LadyVolFanForever writes:

I will never forget how Candace Parker said "POST season, that is all you have to say". It is another season, another chance to kick it up a notch, another chance to show what you have learned from the regular season. It doesn't matter where the post season road starts, what matters is where it ends !

I would love to see our Lady Vols open some eyes and make a run. I do not expect them to win it all but I do expect them to play their hearts out and stick together as a team !
Play for yourselves, play for your coaches, play for the Lady Vol history and tradition. Go Lady Vols !

ps11824 writes:

The games must still be played out. This slobbering love affair with the overall #1 seed is distasteful. Why don't they just wrap up the NC trophy and send it to them now? (They did that last year and had to send the pony express to retrieve the package.) Because strange things happen in March. Cinderella finds her dancing shoes. Sixteen seeds become little giant killers. Old crows throw tantrums. Freshmen grow up?

reachkim00 writes:

As always, great posts from LVFF, 98reax, & Ctownicon. I love the positive support from you guys! I like the chances we have with our bracket. These ladies are motivated and focused, guaranteed!! Pat is gonna kick it up a couple notches and be stompin' the floor.. I love that!!! GO LADY VOLS!!! Dance right on thru to the top!

BigRMan writes:

Hope the Lady Vols make some good memories in the second season. Also Hope Prarie View Shocks Oklahoma, and leaves Sherri very Coald-Paris the thought!

SMSVOL writes:

Go Lady Vols! You can do it! One game at a time...don't overlook anybody.

mnvol writes:

in response to ps11824:

"Freshmen grow up?" Wouldn't that be wonderful?!

I was seriously considering driving to Bowling Green, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle and expense of traveling and rearranging my work schedule because I really don't know what team is going to show up. They're saying all the right things, but as the regular season has shown, their words don't always translate into actions.

Seems to be an epidemic of that at Thompson Boling and Pratt this year.

ps11824 writes:

mnvol, If you can go support the Lady Vols, by all means, go. Back in the day, come heck or high water, I would arrange my vacation days around POST season. If I could go, I would. Unfortunately, that is not an option any longer.

Our Lady Vols need the home crowd now more than ever. They just may surprise all the doubters. Since this has become a shared forum with the #1 overall peed, I will not miss an opportunity to express my elation WHEN they go down, and WHEN the cormorant_from_whatever slithers back into oblivion.

reachkim00 writes:

in response to ps11824:

I just love you 98reax!! GO LADY VOLS!!! Smack the doubters In_The_Mouth!!

BigRMan writes:

UCON caught a real break. Lady Vols are rebuilding. UT with last year's team beats the UCON team of this year. Also this year's UCON team would not have beaten Maryland's championship team of '06 with Toliver, Harper, Langhorne, and Coleman.

ps11824 writes:

The team of which everyone refers to as the greatest thing since sliced bread WILL MEET THEIR MATCH. Stuff happens when a team gets so high and mighty-haughty. They are not all that and a bag of chips. If they played a conference as strong as the SEC, they would not be so eager to boast.

Before you jump in with both feet about how the SEC was down, consider the parity in conference. We beat each other up all season, yet we send 7 teams to the dance.

Get ready to watch the big easties fall like dominoes. I almost spewed my mashed potatoes when youno stated how mighty the big easty conference is. The fact that he leaves his starters in the game long after it is decided and orders them to run up the score is not an admirable trait among coaches of character.

If Kara picks 'em to win it all, it's a sure omen they gonna' fall.

BigRMan writes:

Hey 98: He, He it may not be a bag of chips, they may prefer curly fries!

BigRMan writes:

Even though Dominoes delivers, I don't care for Dominoes, I'd order from Papa John's: Better ingredients, Better Pizza: Papa John's That's from the big easties: the large westies, the strong southies, and all the northies-no mashed potatoes on pizza

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

HEY MIKE, Got to hand it to you as right now your team looks to be ready to play..But remember where you were last year and WHAM also look who the number 2 is on your side--that's right Sanford..You have every right to brag as I would too if we were undefeated right now.

CTOWNICON writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

Lady vols have two top ten teams in their bracket, Duke and Stanford. Uconn has one, Texas A&M a nine seed. You talk just to run your filthy mouth. Look at the facts before you speak. Like Kara had the guts to say it Uconn has the weakest region and they do. You know that just by looking at the brackets. For Uconn to be this almighty team they sure got off easy. Don't worry about where Pat and the lady vols go, you better hope Geno don't choke again this year. Did you see how stupid he looked when they showed the replay when Stanford was kicking Uconn butt. He was standing over there with his hands on top of his head looking stupid, and he should have, all that talent and he can't get a championship out of them. You pitiful for coming here and Geno pitiful for being and incompetent coach.

volball7222 writes:

I find it interesting that both the mens and womens Vol Ball will meet ETSU if both win their first games. What are the odds on that? Stat student out there anywhere?