Pearl wants Vols more physical

Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl said it’s too soon to tell if the Vols will return to their “Controlled Chaos’’ style of basketball next season.

Regardless of whether UT elects to press or play half-court basketball, there’s one thing he is intent to change.

“There will be a different level of physicality in our play, and in our training,’’ Pearl said. “We only had a couple of guys that were willing to take charges, and that’s something that will change.’’

Pearl’s personnel could change, too, as junior Tyler Smith mulls over his decision to stay at UT or declare himself eligible for the NBA Draft.

“I think Tyler should go through the process, but I don’t think Tyler will make a decision before he has all the facts,’’ Pearl said. “This year, I’m going to recommend Tyler goes through the process and goes to work out with some teams and take advantage of the (eligibility) rules.

“If he can get himself comfortably in the first round, then I really think he should consider coming out.’’

Pearl said he will get juniors Wayne Chism and J.P. Prince evaluated on their draft stock and get feedback from NBA personnel administrators.

Pearl began individual meetings with players Monday.

“We’ve shifted gears, as it has started to be about them as individuals, and not about the team,’’ Pearl said. “I want to see where they are at.’’

The Vols will add signee Kenny Hall (6-foot-8, 215, power forward) to the team next season, and Pearl said UT would be interested in signing a point guard this spring.

Pearl’s not allowed to comment on recruits, but some junior college guards the Vols are recruiting according to reports are:

- Melvin Goins, 5-11, 185, Mount San Jacinto (Ca.) JC.

- Rico Pickett, 6-3, 185, Miami Dade CC (played a season at Alabama)

- Malcolm Armstead, 6-0, 195, Chipola (Fla.) JC

“We need a guard that will give us some quickness and versatility,’’ said Pearl, who was forced to move 6-4 swing man Josh Tabb to point guard this season.

“I feel like we need someone that can defensively compete, and keep someone out of the lane and get to the rim,’’ he said. “We’d like it to be someone who can make an impact.’’

Pearl said the Vols best penetrators this season were off the front line.

“Our best breakdown players off the bounce this season were Tyler and J.P. (Prince), from the 3 and 4 positions,’’ he said.

Pearl said he looks forward to continued improvement from the rest of his backcourt players.

“Our young two guards will get better, quicker and tougher,’’ Pearl said. “I think Bobby (Maze) will get better at breaking defenses down as he gets stronger.’’

Pearl was encouraged by Cameron Tatum’s improved play toward the end of the year. The redshirt freshman grew stronger and got increased playing time as he recovered from offseason knee surgery.

“As Cameron gets healthier and stronger, he can become more effective defensively,’’ Pearl said. “Renaldo (Woolridge) showed us in Orlando he can play, making three 3s against Georgetown.

“He’ll get stronger and he’ll learn to use his strength’’

Pearl said Emmanuel Negedu learned a great deal playing behind Smith this season.

“Emmanuel is a very effective player,’’ Pearl said. “We wanted him to learn the system behind Tyler and get his feet wet this season.’’

Pearl said throughout this season he was impressed with Scotty Hopson’s progression.

“Scotty has great upside,’’ Pearl said. “He’s going to get a lot stronger. He can get in the lane, and now he’ll be able to finish in the lane.’’

Pearl said he expects all of his roster players to return, with the possible exception of Smith.

Still, it’s too early to tell if the Vols will be quick enough to play the pressing style Pearl prefers.

“I don’t have enough scholarships to change the way we play drastically,’’ he said, “but if we can add a little more quickness, and I think our guys in the offseason can get quicker, and then maybe be able to utilize some of the length.’’

Pearl said he is eager to get started in the offseason next week.

“By far, this is the largest group of kids I’ve had returning,’’ Pearl said. “This will be as important of an offseason as we’ve had at Tennessee.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

teampenny#658108 writes:

Go Bruce A good year but we hope next will be better! Go Vols

vols21 writes:

Looking forward to seeing a much improved team next year!

Pops writes:

If Tyler Smith can be a first round draft pick he should declare for the NBA Draft. Otherwise, Smith should come back for a strong senior season. With all the starters returning we should finally win and SEC Tournament Championship in 2010!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Surprised that he seems to feel Chism will most definitely be back. My only comment is that we MUST go back to the chaos style of play or fans will begin to stop coming to the games. We love the fast break tempo and transition style of play.

Forget JP going pro. Won't happen. Just hope he can improve on his consistency. Have potential to have a good team next yr. if the defense picks up considerably. We need to get Negedu involved extensively due to his energy level and his wide body. Reminds me a little bit of Barkley when he was at Auburn.

golfballs03 writes:

I think everyone comes back. Tyler's stock has fallen this year and now he is on the first round bubble - easily a 2nd round pick. But next year's SEC is going to be a lot more difficult

abnerPeabody writes:

More about individuals and not about team.I thought most everyone of us knew that already.It was evident in their play all year.It was all about makeing the ESPN highlights.

GerryOP writes:

Posted elsewhere but worth posting again:

"To paraphrase the guy at CBSSports. We've seen Bruce Pearl basketball the past three years. What we saw this year was NOT Bruce Pearl basketball. Let's hope Bruce Pearl basketball returns to TBA next year."

In Bruce We Trust!

murrayvol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Barkley is a Hall of Famer. There is no comparison.

murrayvol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Posted elsewhere but worth posting again:

In Bruce We Trust!

We can hope Gerry but I doubt that personnel will allow that.

murrayvol writes:

in response to murrayvol:

We can hope Gerry but I doubt that personnel will allow that.

And that's about one too many thats in that sentence.

murrayvol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

My bad UTfan. Went right over my head.

johnward111#218638 writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

No way, if UT is winning then the fans will be there. It does not matter what type of basketball they play. Comparing Negedu to Barkley at the point is just stupid.

TommyJack writes:

I like Tyler, but ain't no way he's a 1st rounder.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I like Tyler, but ain't no way he's a 1st rounder.

I'd put him as a late 1st rounder (25-30th)

Waldorf writes:

Go back to the press if at all possible and work to have more discipline in the half court offense. The half court offense is one factor that I've noticed in all of the teams still playing.

volbald writes:

Sorry, but this team just can't play at any sustainable SEC level. Pearl appears to have recruited boys who looked good on paper but who have no "fire in the belly." Same for the LadyVols. It's one thing to play hard and lose. It's another to stand around while the game is going on around you and is passing you by.

Ironcity writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Negedu doesn't remind me of Barkley at all. Barkley had a fantastic touch around the basket Negedu has no touch right now. Barkley was slow but had a great first step and a really wide body, Negadu is fast but has no first step and his body is thick but not wide. Barkley never liked to play defense. I get the feeling Nagadu will be a fantastic defensive player by the time he is a junior. A better comparison might be a future Noah who was at UF.

GerryOP writes:

in response to UTandETSUfan:

I'd put him as a late 1st rounder (25-30th)

I'd put him as a Vol next year... Don't know whether that is good or bad.

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

in response to GOTGO:

the only draft in JP's future has Miller Genuine in front of it.

TigerVet writes:

Dont understand what happened to you guys season. You have tons of talent but for some reason they didnt produce. Negedu, dont know why he wasnt playing much,guess he wasnt cutting it in practice because from what I saw in games he looked pretty good.Hopson started coming on late in the season but he disappeared in a lot of games. Tabb,tatum and maze looked like they had decent game(just commenting on the few games i saw)So again I dont know what happened.

One thing I did notice is that CBP seemed to not hold those guys accountable for mental mistakes during the game. Now I know I'm going to piss some people off now but, Coach Cal would pull your butt out of the game in a minute if you had mental lapses, regardless of who you were. But it seems CBP didnt hold his team accountable. If you knew your butt would be on that bench if you werent performing to your capabilities I guarantee you'd get your act together.

Thats my 2 cents worth

ETNTigerFan writes:

Negedu has lots of upside. He'll be solid next year or the next.

Jamey1210 writes:

Anyone else on here think Negudu should have been signed as a tight end instead of a power foward. To me it seems like a nobrainer. How many 6-6 power fowards are there in the NBA I can name a few 6-6 tight ends in the NFL. they said the guy ran a 4.5 40 and he is a hoss. With our lack of signing that big reciever I wonder if Kiffin is taking a peak at him now that he could throw some pads on in spring practice. I know I am crazy, but the man looks like a FB player to me

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to ETNTigerFan:

Negedu has lots of upside. He'll be solid next year or the next.

I agree. I can not remember a single play he was not hustling in. After a made basket or a rebound he never jogged, but went full speed down the court to either defend or set up on the offensive end.

hodocka writes:

What about Daniel West. The last I knew, he was in school, paying his own way, hoping to be on the team next year. Also Phillip Juric, did he redshirt, didn't see him all year.

Jamey1210 writes:

in response to hodocka:

I would not doubt that Juric transfers. I live in Chattanooga and had no clue why we even got the guy. There is absolutely no way the kid could play in an uptempo game. He is just tall and that is about it. He was a foot taller than everyone in high school and still only averaged like 11 points. Now the kid averaged 10 blocks a game but like I said he was a foot taller than everyone.

Volumnus writes:

in response to TigerVet:

Thats my 2 cents worth

TV, good post, not rude at all. I agree, CBP had a great deal of trouble managing this team. I suspect that this is the first time he has coached a collection of blue chip ego's rather than blue collar players. Coach Cal has seen it all and even he lamented on a national talk show a couple of weeks ago about how difficult it was to manage today's recruit. I do think he would have sat some of these guys for some of the things I saw this year. It seems with this group that it is all about the ink. I would rather have a team that did not concentrate on how many basketall tats that they had, but how well the tatooed the opposition with the basketball game. Again it is a duck soup of star struck ego's who got up here and found that other people could play basketball too. Surprise!!!!

Volumnus writes:

in response to Jamey1210:

He moves like a football player too. That is the reason that someone earlier compared him to a young Charles Barkley. When Chuck was at Auburn he had the power of a Bull Elephant and a great deal less grace than he developed in the years of his lengthy career. Even though size wise, Negedu is a "tweener", he has a lot of energy, works hard and he is not afraid to mix it up. Good qualities but I can see your point, he just might make a good tight end. But no deeper than this team is with hustle and physical contact, I would hate to see him anywhere else.

VOLS_R_BEST_DEAL_WITH_IT writes:

Can someone please tell me why the phooey gatorzz is up to gatorz3 by now? Is there nothing the moderators can do to knock him off for good? And why would you keep joining a website where everyone who posts there doesn't want you around? I realize this doesn't have anything to do with basketball but the man (or woman) is a menace.
VOLS>GATORS

jphilli5#240013 writes:

Hello you tangerines...ha! Want you to know I am in Jackson TN and got both my under and graduate degree on the hill in 1975 and 1978. I say this not to brag but to say I am vested. Never take your proximity for granted, expecially when you get older. Having said that.

Regarding this article...well I am excited. I was a homeboy when the Ernie and Bernie Show was top billing. I will say this, those two were so good that Mike Jackson was a shadow...NOT!

Anyway, the unsung hero of those years was the fabulous, (best in the nation) point guard I ever saw in college. Johnnie Darden!!! He did not get enough credit due to the glamour in those days and the glory of the dunk in college.. Anyway, that is my appinionated obesrvation for those days In sum and review, PEARL get a friggin, "dad-blaimed" cheetah chasing, dribblingmachine of a pg and kick the nation's basketball bunns.

Long Live Johnnie Darde.

Slystone writes:

Negedu reminds me of Sylvester Gray that played at Memphis and at Bolton HS some years back during the 90's. Very athletic, excellent rebounder, but not a great offensive weapon. As for the VOLS being tough or more physical didn't Louisville expose that last season in the sweet sixteen loss? After the Louisville game that was one of the things everyone noticed. Inconsistency and toughness was apparent then and was thought that would be addressed coming into this season. Now a whole season pass and it's being brought up like it's something of a surprise, wow. Question will this toughness come about from playing in the RockyTop League? Or will CBP coach this into them? Stay tune.

hodocka writes:

in response to Jamey1210:

If this is true of Jurick, then what a wasted scholarship.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

with all due respect I think youre in the koolaid again---thats basicly the same lineup with Tyler back so what makes a 1 and done 9 seed a final 4 team---no reason to think West who we havent seen play and the other new freshman can make that much difference--sure well have more experience but so will everyone else--without a shooter as you suggested I just dont share your optimism we can be that much better--wish i could, hope you're right and I'm wrong

Orangeblood13 writes:

point guard will make all the difference.

“We need a guard that will give us some quickness and versatility,’’ If I was D West I would take that personaly and have a chip on my shoulder. Maze can be a good backup, but showed he can't "put on" the moves to get to the drive and dish.

I love CBP, he brought back "Big Orange Pride" He will have a team of Jr's and Sr's next year, if he can't press and win with these guys, then yeah he deserves the lashing some of you are giving him, until then, I think he has the right to get er fixed.

Good Luck Boys, become Men

BillVol writes:

This is window dressing by Pearl. We need people who can SHOOT the ball.

TigerVet writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

20 wins is a good season......for a lesser talented team. With that mentality you'll never get beyond the sweet 16.I'm saying, based on the talent you have with your best 3 players back from a sweet 16 team last year, you should have won more games and advanced past the first round of the tourney.

And it also seems like the team had the same attitude some of you have, just satisfied with however many wins we get. You should not settle for mediocracy,nor should the team,but give a better effort or sit down and let someone thats wants to play their hineys off play!

BSweet writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

I think you underestimate the importance of the off-season. Young players will benefit from their experience this year, but they'll also benefit from another off-season of strength and conditioning. Hopson, Tatum, Negedu, and all the young guys still have room for growth and more muscle. Also, coaches can teach more in the off-season than they can during the season when there are so many other things going on demanding attention. Dedicated players can study film, work more on their shot, etc. The off-season is huge.

As for other teams' players having more experience too, you're right, but not all of those players will be returning.

You don't have to see the world through orange-colored glasses, but you also don't have to take such a negative perspective. This season wasn't what many of us had hoped for, but there are positives to be found. Only next season will reveal what these players have learned and if they have the heart to use that knowledge to get better. Personally, I think we have the pieces, CBP just has to put them together. I think he can do it.

BSweet writes:

in response to TigerVet:

Where would Memphis have been last year without D. Rose? Where would they be this year without Tyreke Evans? They wouldn't be near the team they are. Memphis has great role players, but they also have that superstar. Tennessee lacked that this year. It was thought Hopson would be that guy, and I think he will be that guy, but he wasn't ready to step in and be that guy immediately.

Not to knock Tyler Smith, but he is not a superstar. He's not the difference maker that takes a team to the next level. I love his heart and think he is a great Vol, but I just don't think he is that caliber. He can be a great compliment to a superstar, I think, a la Pippen to Jordan, but he's not going to carry a team night in and night out.

Next year will be the test. If Hopson emerges as a force, we can be great. If he doesn't, then I doubt we make a tournament run. Some players shine immediately, some have to grow into it. I hope Scotty grows into it.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to BSweet:

i hardly think thats being negative not seeing us as a final 4 team----I'm not a koolaider or a gloom and doomer--i try to be realistic but its only an opinion which is no better than anyone elses----without a shooter that can hit 3s with reasonable consistentcy and a solid point guard I just dont see it happening---everyone thinks West is the answer but hes as a freshman isnt likely to to be that better than a more experienced Maze who wasnt as good as advertised but still decent----no doubt we need a shooter to be able to realistically expect much inprovement

BSweet writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

I wouldn't write off Hopson or Tatum as shooters yet. I think both come back stronger next season.

PG would be my biggest concern. Maybe a year in the SEC will improve Maze's game, or maybe West can just be an assist machine. I don't know what next season will bring, but I think we have reason to hope. I think individual players have plenty of potential for development. The questions are, can CBP get that potential out of them, and can he get them playing as a team? We shall see.

jimvols13 writes:

Tyler Smith is getting up there in age as far as desirability for professional teams(he is 23 I think?), that said I hope he does what is best for himself in the long haul. If that means declaring for the NBA or going to Europe I wish him all the best. He has always given his all for Tennessee, he has "Tennessee" tattooed on his chest for crying out loud. However, that is not to say I wouldn't invite him back for another year and another crack at the SEC and NCAA tournaments. :)

Volumnus writes:

in response to hodocka:

The D. West situation is a bit more murky than one might assume. The NCAA clearing house has to establish elgibility. Last year he had no real choice, as the situation drug on and he was enrolled on an athletic excpetion(I would assume since his test scores were utlimately ruled invalid). This year he can transfer with full elgibilty, so he may or may not return. He is a good player and from what I hear from the people who know him, a better kid, but the situation is still less than cut and dried. Juric, is a bit of an enigma, tall but not that impressive with his athletic ability. He would free up a scholarship for another point guard, we seem to be short on them.... so depending upon what happens and how it affects the NCAA Academic Performance Ratings, he might be a transfer candidate. This last recruiting class was a bit of a bust, wasn't it?

Volumnus writes:

in response to TCHDWN10C:

Whether he is ready for the NBA or not, if he is a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick, he needs to go. If he comes back and gets hurt he and his family have nothing. If he comes back and this team doesn't gel and get better(a real possibility) then a lot of people will see it as being his team and his failure. He is personally in an almost no win situation. Coming back does not gurantee better. Also the draft next year may be stronger at his slot and he could drop even if he has a better year. While I would selfishly love to see him come back, I don't see how he can return if he is even sniffing a low first round or high second round pick. You can get ready for the NBA in the NBA, but 1st you have to get there, if he can get there I would encourage him to look at it. I would rather be on the bench as a 12th man in the NBA than in Europe.

CHISMNUMBER1FAN writes:

I just hope that Tyler and Wayne both come back next year. Next years team could make a good run of it since they now have played a season "together"; at the end of the season they seemed to understand they were a team and not individuals out there. I really wish we could have seen more of the Tyler that led us to a win over UF last year when we were down 20+ points, or the Wayne that kept us in the SEC first round game last year, or the JP that helped us win the #1 ranking last year. I understand JP had shoulder surgery over the summer so that limited his work outs before this season. So, to next years season..GO BIG ORANGE. And Thanks for some great basketball this year also. It was not always pretty; but we did ok!

murrayvol writes:

in response to BillVol:

This is window dressing by Pearl. We need people who can SHOOT the ball.

Last time I checked that's what the game is all about.

JayTee writes:

Saying we are going to get more physical is an excuse to draw the attention away from the fact you didn't recruit any shooters. Coach the problem lies at your door when the players are lazy, don't give a 100% and the best inside player is putting up threes like he's a shooting guard.

Take Lane Kiffin's attitude keep your instate talent at home. Try going to Grainger county and recruiting Skylar McBee. Or doesn't he fit your system if you even have one?

eduardo writes:

PRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaVolsRaJoke writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

What time do the Vols play this weekend ?

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Chsim publically stated he was coming back - this after the loss to OK State

OrangeMan_86 writes:

Sorry but unless Chism changes his ways, I want him to leave. He is one of those players that can carry you at times but most of the losses can be blamed on him in my opinion. He is a center but is outside the arch as much as he is inside the paint. He rarely gets the ball and doesn't shoot. It seems like he only cares about himself, getting shots and taking five or more 3's a game which he usually bricks. The worst is when he takes a in the final minutes with the games on the line. I've seen him save one or two games by taking them but I've seen him cost the team like five or so doing that. Also, the games we start getting blown out in is usually because he is missing easy baskets right under the rim and jacking up three's like crazy even when he is air balling and missing badly. Maybe I'm the only who feels this way, I probably am. He honestly might be my least favorite player on the team though. There are lots of times I like what he is doing but more often than not I don't.

PG Maze, Tabb, West
SG Hopson, Tatum
SF Prince, Woolridge
PF Smith, Negedu, Hall
C Williams, Jurrick

See how much better the line up looks without Chism? Again, I am probably the only one who thinks that but he is just too much of a ball hog for my liking. It seems like the team goes on runs and the offense runs more fluently when he goes to the bench. I would like him a lot if he stayed in the paint, made easy baskets 2 feet from the rim and stopped hurling up 3's. They don't need his 3's. Hopson, Tatum and Tabb should be the only one with free reign on shooting three's whenever they feel like it. Tyler and Maze when they are wide open. Anyways, Hall shouldn't be in my line up because even if Tyler goes pro I'm pretty sure he'll be red shirted.

VolJunkie writes:

I still can't get this article out of my mind (for those of you who have not read this, it is a good 3-minute investment).

Here's the part of the article that has stuck with me:

"Tennessee against anybody, really, is going to be exciting for me -- because I know Bruce Pearl's teams, and I like them.

Only, I didn't recognize Tennessee. I don't know that team.

I just watched a Bruce Pearl team, only I didn't see a drop of Bruce Pearl.

Tennessee didn't press. Didn't run. Didn't seem to care lots of the time. Not all of the Volunteers, of course. I'm not painting with that wide of a brush. Tyler Smith plays like his next meal depends on it. Bobby Maze gets after it on defense. Who else seems to care for Tennessee?"

That my friends is what concerns me, because how do you coach "giving a damn", how do you coach pride and hustle and laying it all out on the floor. The most telling moment this NCAA tournament was Villanova vs. UCLA. Nova is up by 20, UCLA brings the ball upcourt when one of the Nova guards does a full body lay out to steal the ball. Wow, what an example of heart and giving it 100% because that is what you do for your team and your coach.

Sorry for the long post, I'm in a reflective mood today. I still have a lot of confidence in CBP and am grateful for what he has done at UT. I am hoping that Pearl Ball returns to UT for the 2010 season.

Go Vols!