Chism played against Oklahoma State with broken thumb

Tennessee junior Wayne Chism played against Oklahoma State last Friday with a broken left thumb, coach Bruce Pearl revealed on Tuesday.

“He hurt it in our practice at Wright State (Wednesday); I think he got it tangled in Tanner Wild’s jersey,’’ said Pearl, who had the Vols go through a live scrimmage. “He was late for shooting practice the day before the game because we had it X-rayed.’’

Pearl and the Vols’ staff were particularly protective of the information regarding Chism’s injury because Oklahoma State would have looked to exploit UT even more inside.

The Cowboys beat the Vols 77-75 in the first round of the NCAA tournament East Region in Dayton, Ohio.

UT put up 33 shots from beyond the 3-point arc (making 11) as a result of Oklahoma State’s packed-in 2-3 zone, but also, because of Chism’s hand injury.

“It affected us because Wayne couldn’t use his left hand, and consequently, he couldn’t score as well,’’ said Pearl, who after the game pointed out Chism made only one 2-point basket. “Wayne’s our best inside scorer with his back to the basket.’’

Oklahoma State post Marshall Moses score 16 points on 8-of-10 shooting, but Pearl said Chism’s hand wasn’t as big of a factor.

“Moses only scored four points on Wayne,’’ Pearl said.

The Vols primarily used 6-foot-10 sophomore post Brian Williams on the 6-6 Moses.

Pearl said UT still could have won, even with the injury to Chism.

“Wayne’s thumb was a factor for us,’’ Pearl said. “But we didn’t want to ... we’re not looking for any excuses.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

kmarti26 writes:

drone#208075 writes:

I must apologize for questioning Wayne's play on Friday. Tough guy:)

dobber writes:

Chism needs to work on becoming a dominate post player. It is the same thing we have been saying about him since he was a freshman. He is the the only post player that ive seen that thinks hes a SG(except for that 7' player for the Dallas Mavricks). He has the size and build to be dominate, but lacks the want to & effort to be dominate. Also Brian Willams needs to get in the weight room heavily this year and build some upper body strength. He gets bullied to much by guys 1/2-2/3 his size. Go Vols!

rocky_topper writes:

that must've been the reason why he missed all those 3-pointers he was obsessed to take then!

dobber writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

I think he just dosn't care for being aggresive with other posts down low. When he shoots his threes he is usually wide open or guarded by a guard.

gohawks1 writes:

Ouch.

tngivem6 writes:

in response to dobber:

Totally agree with dobber..Pearl needs to push Chism and Williams this off season in the weight room to be stronger inside, that is where they will play in the NBA, if they make it..Free throws too..Chism has improved on that.

THE_VOL writes:

Triton1 writes:

in response to THE_VOL:

a fractured brain certainly doesn't keep you from typing now does it duh_vol.

john#208876 writes:

in response to THE_VOL:

Get serious. If you fractured your thumb you'd stay home from your job (pumping gas?) for a week!

TrouserCough writes:

Why take so many 3 then or shots in general?

volaboard writes:

in response to THE_VOL:

You obviously have no clue what it takes to play basketball, much less at the level Chism plays. What a sorry sack you are. You couldn't carry Chism's jock.

Volunatic writes:

in response to volaboard:

He's bitter because he was told that he's not allowed to carry it.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to THE_VOL:

Wayne never complained about the thumb... and still hasn't to my knowledge. I think you need to pull your head out and realize just how tough this guy is. Thanks for giving it your all Wayne.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to THE_VOL:

Too bad your thumb isn't fractured dumb_vol... I am sure that you wouldn't even get near a computer if that was the case, let alone in the paint with a 6'8" power forward, getting that fractured thumb hit and bumped constantly.

adamsck#591720 writes:

Wayne Chism is a great kid. I'm glad he's at UT. Get well soon Wayner.

Its really uncool to bash the guy in the article that says he played with a broken thumb. Not cool at all.

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to THE_VOL:

I agree 100%... why did CBP let him keep shooting the ball then?????????????? CBP knew his hand was bad.. But when B.Maze misses a 3 he has to come out of the game...WTF

Volumnus writes:

Wayne has a broken thumb and I am glad for his effort. I applaud his toughness. Coach has a broken set of priorities, he should have mixed in some healthier players for many of those minutes. It may have meant more rebounds, more stops and more points. If we are 10 deep, don't we have anybody in the second 5 who can out play a man with a broken thumb? And if we don't, pray tell why?

RoyaltyVol writes:

If Tennessee is ever going to have a chance at making the final 4, next year could be it, however thats based on Chism and Smith both coming back, if they do, watch out in 2010, if not, we may not even make the NCAA tourney next season.

Ironcity writes:

in response to dobber:

I have said this before but I would like to see Chism and Williams go to the big man camp which I believe is in Vegas and work with some of the premiere big men and coaches in the country. Both need to work on their post moves and their ability to finish.

I think a camp like that would be far more beneficial then playing in a glorified pick up league like the Rocky Top league.

I watch our bigs and none of them really know how to establish position down low. Additionally when they do get the ball down low their ability to finish with points or a foul call is below average (especially Williams).

dcap8424 writes:

in response to askUncleMaze:

pretty sure chism was shooting 3's with his right hand so there's no effect on his 3 point shot. probably changed his inside game a bit since he likes to go with his left hand. which is probably why he played out on the perimeter even more than usual.

maze isn't a bad shooter, but he needs to worry about playing his position first and scoring second. whatever happened to the maze that said he would lead the SEC in assists?

HtownVol writes:

I like Chism, but the article says he made no big deal out of it. OK He was holding it through the whole game. He was clearly letting everyone know that he was hurt. So yes, he did make a kinda big deal out of it.

Not calling Chism out, just the quote.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I would like very much to know if Wayne and Tyler are coming back. I hope so.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Oh and Htown, wouldn't you want people to know you were hurt when having a bad game? I'd cry like a baby and point at the refs!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I think you are on the money. I question the value of the Rocky Top League. May be fun to watch, but guys get into bad habits about playing defense (or lack thereof).

Bigger_Al writes:

Wayne's a tough guy.

Orangeblood13 writes:

I like to read some if not most of all the thoughts on here. I just read the article and it's about Wayne's thumb and him putting it on the line to stay in the game. Yeah I question some of those 3's, but atleast he will pull the trigger.

Some of you want to critique his game when it's really BP's decision on that. Fan's or not, this kids a player, he will be solid next year, if nothin short of a dominate player.

Get well Wayne, and tell Scotty, Maze, and Cam, they need to move around the horn to get the shot they want, not stand and watch you.

golfballs03 writes:

At the end of the game you could tell it was really hurting. Maybe that's why he didn't spend a whole lot of time in the paint, and Negedu got more PT.

People should learn that before they start criticizing, there might be more to it than they realize.

Raynoch writes:

That's too bad for Wayne, but why on earth was he taking all of those 3's then. Very questionable decision making.

orngbluded writes:

I believe the whole team had a broke thumb the way they shot the ball.

volaboard writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I agree with most of what you have said. But, I saw far too often Smith, Chism or Williams with excellent post position being missed by the perimeter player with the ball. It is frustrating to work hard for low post position only to see a 3 jacked over your head. Let's send the guards to Entry Pass Camp too.

alfrizzle097 writes:

Chism shoots the threes because when he hits them, it opens things up for the offense. Of the five guys on the floor this year, all five are best off shooting from within 5 feet. Someone has to shoot the outside shot or the defense just packs into that area.

Chism was trying to help the team by doing what has helped them all year: shooting the three. And don't blame the thumb, he is left handed unless I am mistaken. Everyone has an off night.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to Raynoch:

because his shooting hand (right) was okay, but when he gets around the basket, he likes the use his left (fractured thumb) hand. Battling down low also would mean his thumb would be getting bumped and slapped.

bhjohnso#207063 writes:

in response to volaboard:

agreed. if you watch chism, especially when you are there in person and can see things the tv camera doesnt show, he spends a lot of time working to get position on the block and is frequently open. very often the wing players didn't get the ball to him. guards need to work on the post entry this offseason, and wayne needs to work on finishing in close.

in response to dcap8424:

Good point about the break being on his NON-shooting hand, one some of the bashers seem to have missed. Catching the ball in the low post and having several defenders slap at it on every catch is a LOT harder to take down there, and use of the off-hand is MUCH more important in close, but the thumb should have little or no effect on his ability to shoot the long ball.

In response to another post, Wayne HAS been to the Pete Newell Big Man Camp and his low-post game was MUCH better this year than it was previously. I agree that it would help him greatly to go again, and Brian would benefit from it also.

in response to TommyJack:

Ditto. IIRC, Wayne wasn't all that enthusiastic about the RTL last year, missing several games and not playing the whole game in others. Be interesting to see if CBP keeps the UT players out of it this year. It may well have given the players, fans, and possibly even the coaches too high a level of expectation about how effective we would be on offense during the season, even though everybody knows that there is not much defense played in that league.

dvols writes:

ainge broke his pinkie finger!

in response to volaboard:

Good one! "Entry Pass Camp"--I love it! I have commented several times on here about the guards' apparent inability to recognize when the post players were in position for the entry pass. It would be too painful to contemplate that such omissions may have been DELIBERATE.

As an aside, the word-nut in me surfaces once again to try to straighten posters out on a couple of their favorite words. "DominaTe" is a verb, e.g., "Wayne has the potential to DOMINATE inside." "DominaNT" is an adjective, e.g., "Wayne can be a DOMINANT player inside." WRONG: "Wayne can be a DOMINATE player."

I fully anticipate a salvo from those eager to defend their ignorance by telling me to STFU, but that's OK, I'm used to it(;-P)!

beachvol1 writes:

Now I will get off Wayne's butt as I thought he wasn't very aggresive in the Okla State game, but know why...I admire his courage to get out there for his school and team...come on back Wayne and finish with a flurry and do get healthy....

bmaples writes:

Tough to play with that injury. Admire Wayne for stepping up, and even more for not saying anything about it, or using it for an excuse.

I hope all the players come back and learn from this season. Next year could be much better if they do.

Bruce in Louisville
www.brucemaples.com

FeelVol writes:

Not to be bashing W.C. but I honestly thought he cost us the game against Oklahoma State his game was apparently off as many could tell.The only problem I have with Wayne is his toughness in and around the basket.We needed that I thought this year a beast of sorts like the guy from Oklahoma or North Carolina,Negedu could have helped more this year I thought but just didn't get the minutes for some reason.

JayTee writes:

Bruce must have thought shooting all those three pointers would make his thumb feel better. Who had the broke pinkie when they lost to MSU?
Most coaches would know another player who is at 100% would out perform someone who is injured and obviously in pain? Just more excuses that's all it is.

CHISMNUMBER1FAN writes:

Some would think that after last season and the bashing that everyone gave to Chris Lofton only to find out what that kid went through; that some would maybe hold their criticism. Guess I am wrong. We all need to remember that they are COLLEGE athletes who are preparing to be NBA players. I have seen games where Wayne has "checked out" but for the most part; he was the most consistant player this year. I agree with the poster who said that Wayne will work to get open and then no one gets him the ball. I noticed in a few games that it was like Scotty Hopson never saw Wayne open. But props to Wayne for this year and I HOPE TO SEE HIM NEXT YEAR!

hilltopper writes:

no business shooting threes no business he was left on the floor when he kept shooting threes find a guard to do that and get the big guys under the basket where they belong five guys all lined up to shoot threes and none of them good at it is a sure way to lose

alfrizzle097 writes:

in response to hilltopper:

A sure way to lose is to not force the defense to guard outside of five feet. Wayne and Scotty were the two best shooters this year. Somebody has to extend the defense. All five people can't just pile up on the block.

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Thanks Plasticman you made my point. These guys need to go to the outdoor courts at UT this summer and watch some pick-up BB and they will see the true value of the RTL. At least it is semi-organized.

overatedvols writes:

Long time no see. How are all you people? I guess not too great these days considering the basketball teams season. I really thought the vols would do good. They looked good in the early season and played the Tigers about even. Seems they played quiet a few teams even but they always seemed to lose those games that were close.

Tigers had a suprisingly good/great season. I've never thought this team was as good as last years team but they've done well. Hopefully we can get past Missouri tommorrow night and play for the elite 8, probably against UConn which would be a really tough game. Missouri presses the entire game and plays very uptempo the entire game. They use about 10 players per game and tend to wear the other team out. Should be a good game.

Where is BrownsvilleVol and CollierVol, RobVols and Trollhunter? I've been good trollhunter. I left you guys alone after the Memphis game.

Volumnus writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Pman, I agree. The RTL should have had a lot of Value to the coaching staff last year! It was a preview of what to expect this season. Instead of them playing pickup ball against scrubs, they got to play against Pegram(sp?) and Oglesby and some former players. You had a bench mark and if you went and if you watched objectively, you could see this season coming in panoramic technicolor. I posted my doubts and misgivings during and after the RTL. The egos and the body language were unsettling. Chism's behavior was inexcusable. The RTL is like a Free Pre-season training camp if utilized correctly. The responses and the attitudes reflected in the RTL were duplicated and played out this season. Not only do they need to be there, they need to work harder and take it more seriously.

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to dcap8424:

How could he play his position from the bench. Like I said before I dont see no other PG coming out of the game every 4-5 min. B.Maze was told he would play 30 min. a game if he signed with UT. I like J.Tabb but JT is a 3 guard not a PG. B.Maze was doing fine until JT came back & he had to share his min..

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to volaboard:

Throw the ball to Who down low? All of UT Big Men want's to be a PG... Let the PG bring the ball up the floor. The Big Men need to get in position..