Kiffin responds to Florida team's comments

Lane Kiffin was once again asked Tuesday to defend himself about some public comments he has made as Tennessee’s head football coach.

This time, the questions came from ESPN’s First Take.

Kiffin was first asked about recent comments from Florida’s football team that defended Gators head coach Urban Meyer, who Kiffin incorrectly accused of cheating in the recruitment of Nu’Keese Richardson.

Florida players said they would rally around their coach and had Kiffin’s comments posted in their locker room for motivation.

“First of all, I think it’s a pretty neat thing for Tennessee that our logo is in Florida’s locker room right now,” Kiffin said. “So when recruits go through there and tour their facilities, they see the Tennessee logo.

‘That’s pretty exciting for us.”

Kiffin downplayed whatever psychological advantage such comments could give either team.

“Nobody comes walking into those games,” he said. “I don’t think bulletin board material makes anybody try harder once the ball is kicked off.”

Kiffin alluded to the increased publicity as one of the reasons the Vols were able to provide a strong close to their 2009 signing class.

UT secured signed letters of intent from two highly rated tailbacks: Bryce Brown from Wichita (Kansas) East High School and David Oku from Lincoln (Neb.) East High School.

“We need them seeing our logo,” Kiffin said of prospects. “We need them hearing about Tennessee. We need them hearing about our coaching staff.”

Kiffin referred to UT’s necessity to recruit nationally as one reason the Vols need such publicity.

“We have a plan,” he said. “We’re going in the right direction and things are coming together.”

Kiffin again denied telling prospect Alshon Jeffery that he would be pumping gas like the other South Carolina prospects if Jeffrey chose to sign with the University of South Carolina.

“First I wouldn’t have said it because there’s no full-service gas stations anymore, I don’t think,” Kiffin quipped. “They’re all self serve.”

Kiffin was also asked about his connection with prospects. He said his age, 33, and involvement in all offensive positions could be factors.

“I don’t know what that is for sure,” he said. “I just like being around them. I love coaching ball and love getting guys better. I think they feel our staff’s energy and our passion.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

flafan2001 writes:

it's gonna hurt. It's just gonna hurt.

GerryOP writes:

165 -- Fear The Kiffin...

Major_Magilicutty writes:

glad you've come to terms with the imminent azz whipping flafan.

The_Greater_Pumpkin writes:

Amen! It beats the heck out of "working like heck"!

volwalk writes:

Kiff is right, once the ball is kicked, you can throw bulletin board material out the window. But when its over we will be singing Rocky Top all night long after our victory in GAYynesville!

sidwalkvol writes:

in response to flafan2001:

it's gonna hurt. It's just gonna hurt.

you could read this statement one of two ways...

I think it might indeed hurt, but perhaps not in the ways some people are expecting. After all, there have been lots of surprises already. "Surprise" might be the norm for this staff and team.

Might.

UTandETSUfan writes:

What a quote! ORANGE SWARM (sorry had to try to say it, and I must say, I love it!) !

volwalk writes:

My bad on the spelling>>>Gaynesville not Gayynesville.

sgtvols writes:

luv you kiffin, keep it up. re-orderd my season tickets after the 10 year decline into oblivion.

Volsfanstuckintx writes:

This guy is an absolute genius! I just hope they can coach as well as they recruit.

99gator writes:

i've got the over/under on posts responding to gatorzz at 250.

also, the over/under on gatorzz being banned is at 1.5.

place your bets.

lomas98 writes:

in response to Formerly_Kiff_World_Order:

The only time I remember was last year before the start of the season. He actually did a studio tour for about 3 shows while in Bristol. Not defending Fulmer or being a smartazz, just answering your question. Fulmer would usually do the Rome show once a year as well.

Greyback_Vol writes:

Man, Kiffin is a smartazz.

But as the saying goes, I'd rather be a smartazz than a dumb one.

He is as much a public relations guy as a coach. Always putting a positive spin on things to get more press.

HallowedHill writes:

Apparently Kiffin's comments about Oscar Meyer weren't strong enough...

This article says Oscar Meyer leads the NCAA in number of players arrested, 22.

volwalk writes:

in response to Formerly_Kiff_World_Order:

That "Orange Swarm" might really catch on if we get Bryce Brown's buddy Blake Bell>>>Get it?? all the "B"s. I guess it could work with Bryce Brown and BJ Coleman??

murrayvol writes:

in response to Formerly_Kiff_World_Order:

Maybe leaving (or returning to) the field at halftime.

kycutter writes:

Coach certainly talks the talk. I am getting the feeling that he can bring it come fall. I am very excited about UT football this year. UK is looking at another loss to UT and I suspect that there will be a more winning streaks either extended OR started.

'Cutter

abnermc writes:

Harvin is gone. Fear the VOLS!

BigT_Chief writes:

As far as the pumping gas goes, if the recruit was in New Jersey maybe(j/k). In that state, and I didn't know this until recently, it is illegal to pump your own gas.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

kiffin's right. it comes down to -
can we put LB's and DT's on the field who can shut down UF's run;
will we have a QB who can make simple throws
what kind of O-line will we have
can we punt effectively

I'll be awafully, awfully sruprised if we don't match UF's enthusiasm in this game. If I'm kiffin, I say 'to hell with the win win or loss, just knock the heck out of any UF player in your area. the win will take care of itself.'

murrayvol writes:

in response to 99gator:

i've got the over/under on posts responding to gatorzz at 250.

also, the over/under on gatorzz being banned is at 1.5.

place your bets.

I'm sure he'll be civil.

volfanhatesbama writes:

in response to flafan2001:

it's gonna hurt. It's just gonna hurt.

Well if you and your lil friends would realize you arent suppose to take it in that place you wouldnt have to worry about it hurtin.

CoachNeyland writes:

A Florida fan, first to comment on this article. I love it. Kiff is eating them ALIVE haha!!!!! Keep feeding the machine FL fans... keep feeding it haha!!!!!!!!!

BigT_Chief writes:

I like mparker's idea. If they ain't wearing UT orange, hit 'em so hard it'll knock their teeth outta their mouth and watch 'em roll on the field like Chicklets.

murrayvol writes:

Looks as though this crapola will be standard fare until Kiffin wins a bunch of games against teams we shouldn't beat. Fine with me.

invisiblekid writes:

What's the score now, 17 ESPN interviews for Kiffin and 2 for Saint Urban?

RJ_Vol writes:

Just seems like old news...Irregardless of comments, the Gators bring an experienced D and Tebo to the Swamp against UT next year. UF will be tough to be no matter what has been said. However, the next year UF rolls into Knoxville w/ a new QB potentially having his first big game experience as a starter. Bryce Brown and David Oku will be sophomores. AND if UT chooses Stephens or Coleman, UT will return an experience QB. Yes, words can motivate, but it will come down to coaching, effort, making plays, and talent. As UT adds playmakers to its offense, the worm will turn quickly. The added variable is what happens if Notre Dame loses Weiss? Does Meyer take the Irish job?

murrayvol writes:

in response to BigT_Chief:

Bobby Bare would appreciate the reference to "The Winner".

"Mine rolled away like Chicklets down the street in San Antone"

tennezz writes:

If we hurt any gator coaches or fans feelings let me be the first to laugh about it! We took all your phooey for years with no responce! You can dish it out but you cain`t take it, so whine and cry all you want to and get down and crawl in it, there`s more to come!

murrayvol writes:

in response to invisiblekid:

What's the score now, 17 ESPN interviews for Kiffin and 2 for Saint Urban?

At least. Kiffin has an insurmountable advantage over Meyer in that he has a sense of humor.

ravensearay writes:

in response to BigT_Chief:

Same in Oregon. Those are the only 2 States that someone else pumps your gas. I guess the coaches will just have to narrow down the states where recruits that don't sign with UT will end up pumping gas.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

in response to abnermc:

Harvin is gone. Fear the VOLS!

And his replacement, Richardson, is playing for TN! OUCH! Yeah, flafan it's gonna hurt worse than it hurt the NE Pats to get dumped by the NYG in the Super Bowl> ROCKY TOP!!

cincivol writes:

I love this guy!!! Thats my kind of $%it there. Whether you have played a game or not let them know you aint scared. He is such a smart a%^ and i love it!!!

kwlightmin#206976 writes:

Fulmer kept his mouth shut and Florida ran the score up on us. These idiots in the press (Rome, Fox, ESPN, Kiffin-haters, Florida fans) actually believe that if Florida runs the score up on us it will be because of Kiffin's comments! If they were able,Florida would run the score up on us regardless, just because we're Tennessee. We compete for recruits, championships, TV time, bragging rights, etc. It doesn't take bulletin board fodder for that, just years of rivalry and mutual hatred. Heck, I'd hope we'd run the score up on Florida if given the chance...just because they are Gators. They might beat us this year, but I'll be very surprised if anyone embarrasses us.

Triton1 writes:

in response to Formerly_Kiff_World_Order:

volwalk writes:

Kiffen is so right and is winning the off season wars with meyer. Why in the world does Flarduh have to put lil Lane's picture all over their locker for motivation? All these kids/recruits are seeing it and wondering why the national champs are soo concerned about this guy. It is very funny when you think about it. KEEP IT UP LANE--ITS WORKING!

invisiblekid writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Henry Kissinger has a lead over Meyer in that category.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to Formerly_Kiff_World_Order:

I demand a recount, thought I was the King LOL.

volwalk writes:

We are going to be singing "Rocky Top" all night long after we beat flarduh in gaynesville. BOOK IT!

invisiblekid writes:

in response to gatorz3:

Says quite a bit when someone is so terribly offended that they rely on others to defend them as well.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to Formerly_Kiff_World_Order:

Touche.

HonoluluVol writes:

That's a good comment. It only says to players there, that UT is own Florida's mind. Like a nagging wife that want leave you be. Every recruit sees that also. Actually it's a smart thing, but dumb on UF's part. Come Sept. that sign won't matter after we hand them a loss, and play Rocky Top into the night and they have to kick us out the stadium!!!! GO VOLS!!!

OrangeMan_86 writes:

in response to gatorz3:

invisiblekid writes:

And so it begins.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

-"First, I think it's a neat thing that Tennessee's logo is all over Florida's locker room," Kiffin said, smiling, during an interview Tuesday morning with "ESPN First Take."-

Hilarious.

Volunatic writes:

in response to flafan2001:

it's gonna hurt. It's just gonna hurt.

Yeah, I'm sure it will hurt for y'all, just like the loss in 2001 did. It's okay, though-- what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
Who knows-- maybe florida will go on after their loss on 9/19 and win the national championship again.

HallowedHill writes:

in response to gatorz3:

With the inmates that Meyer surrounds himself with (leads NCAA with number of players arrested), the classless and negative recruiting techniques and offering gymnastic scholarships to highschool player's girlfriends (receiver Carl Moore and his girlfriend, gymnast Maranda Smith), I think we all know who the punk is.
Kiffin had the stones to call out Cryer, it was cryer who went crying to Slive. Looks like Oscar Meyer lacks the stones to respond. If you think we need to heat up the rhetoric to encourage Cryer to speak for himself, I'm sure something can be arranged.

volstasis writes:

in response to flafan2001:

it's gonna hurt. It's just gonna hurt.

Just like it did when Ole Miss left the swamp last year.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Biggest difference between Fulmer and Kiffin: One was scared and the other one isn't.

Voluvr writes:

Then ESPN had a panel of athlete has beens to say, "Kiffin should just coach and shut his mouth." Not one on the panel said anything good.
ORANGE ENVY rears its ugly head Coast to Coast!