No time to rest for Lady Vols

Although Tennessee is out of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament, the Lady Vols were back on the court Tuesday afternoon. Their presence at Pratt Pavilion spoke volumes about the state of the program.

“This to me says at Tennessee we’re not going to accept losing in the first round game and go home and go on spring break; No,’’ UT coach Pat Summitt said.

According to the coaches, NCAA rules allow eight hours of work with the team until April 15. Two hours can be allotted for basketball-specific work, which was the case Tuesday. The other six hours are devoted to strength and conditioning.

Assistant coach Dean Lockwood said after April 15, coaches can work with the team only in groups of four players or less.

Tuesday’s workout followed a team meeting Monday after the Lady Vols returned from Bowling Green, Ky. — the site of their 71-55 loss to Ball State on Sunday night. It was the first first-round loss in program history and one of the most stunning results in tournament history.

Summitt said that she asked the players during the meeting whether they planned to stay.

“We went around the table and I said ‘you in or out. We need to know,’” Summitt said. “I told them if you want to leave now’s the time ... We’re getting ready to raise the bar on the expectations we have on the court and in all your strength and conditioning work.”

All of the players were present Tuesday. Departing senior Alex Fuller didn’t need to attend. Still, she showed up and pitched in as a practice player.

“She’s about as lost and confused as the coaches right now,’’ Summitt said. “She doesn’t know what to do with her time right now.”

Summitt thinks that the time spent with UT strength and conditioning coach Heather Mason in the coming weeks should help identify the true competitors among the players.

“It’s going to really challenge this team physically and mentally,’’ Summitt said, “and they need that because we don’t have the mental toughness. We don’t have the competitive drive on every play. We don’t. That’s my biggest concern for this team moving forward. How many of these people really will compete all the time.”

After using 12 different starting lineups this season, Summitt already is sorting out next season’s starting five. She told the team that Angie Bjorklund will report for the opening tip. So will Vicki Baugh and Kelley Cain, provided they overcome their knee problems and are healthy.

Cain still was distraught on Monday about not being able to play during the second half Sunday night after her surgically repaired right knee acted up.

“She felt like she was letting the team down,’’ Summitt said. “She doesn’t need to beat herself up.”

As for the remaining starting spots, Summitt told the players: “We’ve got two spots open. Start working.”

In the wake of Sunday night’s loss, Summitt said that she’s heard from several former players, primarily via text messages. Unlike the Ball State outcome, their response was predictable.

“They were shocked; they were angry,’’ Summitt said. “They’re mad about this. They said this doesn’t look like a Tennessee team. I share their feelings.”

But she’s the only one in charge of the cleanup, which has begun in earnest.

“Disappointed in myself, disappointed in the team,’’ Summitt said. “We let a lot of people down.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

utfpmd writes:

Now this is how you handle disappointment and loss. Go get 'em Pat!

This may be the first time most of those involved have had such a strong reason to look deep within themselves to gauge the depth of their commitment to the program without the ongoing distractions of a season in progress. It says much for Pat that she realizes that she needs to take a good look at herself as much as the players do themselves.

All of our major sports programs--which for me are football and men's and women's basketball--had disappointing seasons. The football team got a break with a whole new enthusiastic staff coming in, but the basketball teams must do it with essentially the same players and coaches--at least as far as we know right now--which is a much harder job.

CrankE writes:

I believe that Pat will do two things:
1) Return the program to the position and direction that it normally has. No one takes this harder than her.
2) For any of the girls who stay, she will turn them around on a personal level. Pat's not the kind to quit on someone just because of the results. But she's not a fool who'll pour out her best teaching and coaching for someone who's not in 100% either. (Thus, the obvious question she asked of her players.)

Had the girls played into the round of 16, they may never have been convinced that there was a problem. Losing in the first round on the other hand leaves no doubt about it.

AFTiger writes:

I like Pat, but she lost 5 starters from a championship team. I think she should be careful how far she takes this...there's no way this group of young ladies was a championship caliber team. Hard to say how far they "should" have gone in the tournament, but my sense is they tried their best. Pat doesn't have quiters.

bmaples writes:

This may be the Loss That Wins. Sometimes you have to have great pain to gain greater understanding, and ultimately grow beyond what you would have been without the loss.

Pay your dues, or go home.

Good luck, Ladies. You are still our team, win or lose. We're behind you, Coach Summitt, and the entire staff. Become all you can be -- and then add 10%.

:-)

Bruce in Louisville
www.brucemaples.com

CTOWNICON writes:

Everybody taking responsibility for their actions is a good sign. I am glad she let them know how many spots are available and they should only go to the ones who are going to hustle and give it all they got in every game. I hope this works out and that they all step it up.

pammyvol1000 writes:

Well.. I have watched other Freshman on other teams run all over all All Americans this season. I am tired of the young team excuse. Look around.. there are Freshman all over the US playing like caliber players.

Come on Lady Vols!! Step it up and raise the bar.

vww#225040 writes:

Since the loss to Ball State, I would not discuss the loss-because it was such a disappointment-and I could only imagine what the Coaches, Team and other fans were feeling.

But 2 days later - I started talking--because one of my employees brought an article from the Florida Union Times--about PAT and how she will take this situation and make the best of it--because that is who PAT is---and recommend these young ladies---take a hard look within, decide what they really want, and listen to your COACHES and work, work and work to bring your game to a level you need to make it--and you all will be at the top next season.

Don't want to knock you while you're down---but do expect you to turn this situation around.

Recommendation: read Pat's two books: Raise the Roof, and Reach for the Summit--I keep these 2 books around my library--because they're inspirational and can be used not only in sports but business as well.

Now, go forward and expect and believe in who you are--A LADY VOLS---and then as a TEAM!!! Challenges makes one stronger--and remember it is not what happens to you that counts--but it is the way you handle it. Attitude!!

Still proud of you!!! THANKS PAT! See you all next season

amcguire01 writes:

This is BS. Let the kids rest for goodness sake. I respect Pat, but this is about her punishing these kids for losing.

PureOrange writes:

Those people who keep bringing up the youth aspect tend to get under my skin. This is the MAJOR in major college women's basketball. It is no place for the faint of heart, or those who do not play with heart.

Players at this level should know there will be great demands on them. I hope they take Pat's advice and get in or get out now. I do not want to ever see another Lady Vol team play like this team played this year. These Ladies thought they wanted to be Lady Vols, but they were not willing to give the effort necessary to achieve that goal. I saw so many players on so many teams giving so much more than our girls were willing to give. That is unacceptable!

mmhartz writes:

I didn't watch a lot of the Lady Vols (mostly because I don't have cable), but what little I did get to see made me not real surprised at their early exit. The players had poor ball handling skills, turned the ball over too much, and didn't play with the fire and passion that is LADY VOLS. I don't know what these girls are/were thinking this season, but if they want to BE a Lady Vol they must learn to PLAY like a Lady Vol. If they don't, go play for someone else. If they want to understand what being a Lady Vol means all they have to do is look up in the rafters at TBA. There are eight large National Champion banners that boldly say "This is what it means to be a Lady Vol".

MillisaAnn writes:

Go Pat I'm behind you all the way!

sassyladyj1974#577435 writes:

in response to AFTiger:

How long have you been watching the Lady Vols? Cause that team was nothing like a Summitt Lady Vol team. Didn't you read the part about the messages from the past players? The girls played just like the boys did. They weren't hungry. They didn't want it more than the other team. Pat's going to fix that. I like it!

RealityCheck15 writes:

How long is going to take before Tennessee self-repots its NCAA violation committed by practicing today?

Note the last sentence of the bylaw below...don't know where the Tennessee coaching staff got an April 15 date for permitted practice.

NCAA Division I Bylaw 17.5.4 End of Playing Season.
A member institution’s last contest (game or scrimmage or postseason tournament contest) with outside competition in basketball shall not be played after the respective Division I Basketball Championship game. However, an institution may not continue to practice (or compete against outside competition) in basketball beyond its last regular-season contest, including the conference championship (if any), unless it has reason to believe it is under consideration for selection to participate in an NCAA championship or other postseason national championship event. An institution not selected to participate in the championship or an institution that loses in the championship may not continue to practice until the conclusion of the championship event.

CTOWNICON writes:

in response to RealityCheck15:

NCAA Division I Bylaw 17.5.4 End of Playing Season.

Well, it has been all over television so if there is anything to report consider it reported. I guess what you thought was isn't or either you didn't get the memo!

CoverOrange writes:

RealityCheck15, is there a difference to be made of the words "work out" and "practice"?

A different reality check: Compare and contrast to Tennessee: where was UConn last year? Where is UConn this year?

xvolx writes:

in response to amcguire01:

what a wuss. I'm sick of liberal psycobabel comments. My father worked on railroad boilers for fifty years. came out of them so sweaty that ice formed on him. raised 13 children that all went to college and succeeded with hard work. this country and its children have gone soft. work em, workem hard. It won't kill them, but it will separate those wanting to succeed from those that don't.

bmaples writes:

xvolx -- so, you think liberals are scared of hard work? My wife and I have worked two jobs almost our entire lives, while getting six college degrees between us AND being involved in our church and our community. You bring that prejudiced Rush phooey on this board, I'm going to call you on it every time. I don't bring my politics on here, so I'd appreciate it if you'd keep it out of here too.

Bruce in Louisville
www.brucemaples.com

ozarkvol writes:

in response to amcguire01:

Who is this? Geno Auriemma?

xvolx writes:

in response to bmaples:

Bruce in Louisville
www.brucemaples.com

I didn't say anything about politics. you did. I didn't say anything about Rush. You did. I have never listened to him. You're the one with the problem.

BigOrangeVol writes:

Coming in we have:
Taber Spani - #3 Shooting Guard/Wing 6'-1"
Faith Dupree - #17 Center/Post 6'-4"
Kamiko Williams - #16 Shooting Guard/Wing 5'-11"

Evaluations by Hoop Gurlz:

Spani...has all the moxie of a big time player. She understands her strengths and her limitations. The 6-1 wing was one of the strongest players physically as well as one of the smartest. Spani isn't the quickest player on the wing but she doesn't try to beat quicker players with quickness. She knows how to get herself open both with and without the ball and she can flat out put the ball in the hole. She is one of the most complete players in the class.

Dupree...A big strong post who is a match up problem because she has three-point range. She's a confident player that doesn't shy away from pressure shots and doesn't hesitate when given the space to let 'er rip. She is better offensively at the high post but shows the strength and agility to be a competent low post scorer. Defensively she uses her body well but isn't really a shot blocking post. Agility is very good but she's not a super athlete.

Williams...has a versatile and at times explosive game. The combo guard for the GA/Lina 76'ers can take over a game with the ball in her hands and become a one man bad dream for defenses. She has the ability to play both the point and the shooting guard positions. The left-hander's attack is aggressive and she's just as good in transition as she is in the half court. She can get all the way to the rim or pull up with the short jumper when the defense rotates. There are times that she will disappear on the floor and such a talented player can't afford to take plays off. She has too much to offer. Good size, strength and length for either the two-guard or wing position. Plenty of athleticism and a quick release on her jumper. She does a lot of things well but to capitalize on her athleticism she needs to tighten her handle and not settle for the jumper as often.

markw20012002 writes:

in response to bmaples:

Bruce in Louisville
www.brucemaples.com

I don't think liberals are scared of hard work. It takes alot of work to spend trillions of $$$

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

I agree with Burce Pearl: the ncaa rules are STUPID in how they limit the time coahces can spend with players. Look, coaches get paid a ton of money to COACH. Players are there on ATHLETIC scholarships.

IMHO, coaches should be able to coach from the beginning of fall to the end of spring, no matter the sport. Sure, limit the work time durig off-season to, say, 90 minutes per day, so they can do their strenght training too. Give 'em summers off, although my understanding is many athletes stick around and run and workout.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to RealityCheck15:

NCAA Division I Bylaw 17.5.4 End of Playing Season.

who gives a rip?? if they did something wrong, they will report. I have ZERO concern about Pat's inegrity. She is very much a person who live by her reputation.

I've torn into Pat for some other issues, but I'd sure as hell truat MY daughter to her, if she turns into a good enough player.

kbart4033#247331 writes:

Of the three recruits, I get the feeling that only one has ANY
quickness...Yikes! Note to Pat: quickness wins and makes
slow players look weak and passive and very mechanical--just
like the current rookie class...Suggestion: whomever was
responsible for recruiting America's slowest team should
be made to commit themselves to a demanding off-season
workout schedule...it might improve one's vision--and
recruiting!

richvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Right again...especially about the coaches of both basketball teams. You have to recruit the right players and find a way to REACH them. You MUST REACH them. This is the first time Pat or Bruce did not get it done.

These girls need a severe taskmaster in strength and conditioning. I would consult the new football strength coach because what we are doing is not working. Angie,Brianna and Glory were the only ones who could play hard for any kind of stretch. Unfortunately,Glory and Brianna need to learn basketball skills as well. Brewer,Manning and Cain all have the ability...they just need to get in serious shape.

richvol writes:

Sorry,I forgot to mention that Stricklen is a gifted player that can and does play hard.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to xvolx:

I agree. They rested all season; so now it's time to kick it into gear and try to get ready to perform as a real "LADY VOL" would for next season!

truthsetsufree writes:

This is ridiculous! What a sore loser Pat is - she needs to let go of her gargantuan ego to realize that even great coaches have mere mortal seasons, instead of punishing her kids for her disappointment. Let the kids have their rest and regroup next season.

tedb#664810 writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

Coming in we have:
Taber Spani - #3 Shooting Guard/Wing 6'-1"
Faith Dupree - #17 Center/Post 6'-4"
Kamiko Williams - #16 Shooting Guard/Wing 5'-11"

Evaluations by Hoop Gurlz:

I have read those posts as well. I hope one or two of these players will be ready to make an immediate impact, especially Williams. Stricklen should have a better season if she can play the wing. My only concenn about Spani is her speed on the court. Maybe this next season will be a complete turnaround. A lot will depend on getting Baugh back into the starting rotation. Thanks for your update.

vol98champ writes:

No mention of who wants to leave. I have some suggestions, but I will just see how it plays out. Ball State was the better team. They were quicker, better shooters, and more physical. How in the world were these girls McDonald All Americans? They were better in December than they were in March. I don't blame Pat. I blame their mental toughness.

reachkim00 writes:

I love what Pat is doing and I agree with it 100%. I don't think for one second that she is 'punishing' these ladies, that's not Pat's way of dealing with this situation. She and her staff, the team, as well as us fans have experienced a season of unfamiliar territory for the first time in 35 years and I applaude her for being pro-active and tackling the problems at hand head on with a vengence. We will see a different Pat and a different team next season you can bet on it. Take the bull by the horns ladies and get a chip on your shoulder that you DARE any team to try and knock off.. that what Pat is doing and I love it.
GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LadyVolFanForever writes:

On scout.com Coach Summitt has this to say, “Losing in a first round game is unacceptable for this program. We’re never going to accept that.”

As far as I am concerned, that says it all ! I absolutely love the approach Coach is taking and the leadership role Angie is taking. It is time for these players to take responsibility and show that they are worthy to wear the Lady Vol uniform. Challenge, teach and encourage !

Thank you Coach Summitt for continuing to be the absolute BEST !!

volaboard writes:

What about the men's team? Are they still practicing or taking it easy?

reachkim00 writes:

in response to LadyVolFanForever:

Thank you Coach Summitt for continuing to be the absolute BEST !!

Damn right!! GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!

queens2183#661836 writes:

You can improve your footspeed with sprint work and drills. That's a reason why track athletes can improve their time in an event. They have quickness that just needs further development. I would challenge a lot of the posters on this board to go race the kids and see how many of you can beat them; my guess would be not many. A lot of their defensive problems had more to do with them not being in proper defensive stance. They played flatfooted and straight up and down instead of low. That is something that can be corrected with work. I have no problem with Coach working them and it has less to do with her than it does them and this program. If she allows them to coast and doesn't push them to do and be the best they can be, she's not helping them and is actually doing a disservice to them. These kids, like most freshmen, were hardheaded and happy to wear TN but had to learn that everything comes with a price and if you're not willing to pay that price, you won't reap the spoils. This season could be the best thing to ever happen to them IF they take the lessons and apply them and work their tails off to become better ball players and competitors. Coach wouldn't do this if she didn't think they could be great and they need to realize that also. I see it in them, now they gotta prove it to everyone.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to truthsetsufree:

That you Phil? How's Vicky?

Hudro writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

Coming in we have:
Taber Spani - #3 Shooting Guard/Wing 6'-1"
Faith Dupree - #17 Center/Post 6'-4"
Kamiko Williams - #16 Shooting Guard/Wing 5'-11"

Evaluations by Hoop Gurlz:

thanks for the assessment. the one element that seems to be missing is quickness and we don't seem to have much of that on the current team either. I also wish she had met with the team individually to ascertain if they were staying or leaving. In a group setting it is almost a given that you would say staying due to some peer pressure. She may also meet individually at some point so I still won't be surprised if there isn't some attrition.

rdsvol writes:

in response to amcguire01:

I disagree! This is NOT punishment! It's about learning to play COLLEGE ball and playing together; as a team. There has been a complete lack of togetherness in this team all year! They need this!

SCVolsFan writes:

in response to vol1:

I have been wondering about this also. Maybe she needs to go back to the Jr College
where she found Shannon Bobbit.

YankeeVol writes:

in response to bmaples:

Bruce in Louisville
www.brucemaples.com

I'm with you, Bruce. I worked my tail off on loading docks in NYC to pay for my college and medical school degrees. I'm as liberal, educated, and working class as they come, and I am sick of the blue-collar chip on your shoulder attitude of those with something to prove.

reachkim00 writes:

in response to truthsetsufree:

What is ridiculous is the slammers that only crawl out their holes for the chance to criticize. So ya'll just take your 12 packs, kick back in you recliners and exercise the the thumb muscle on your remotes while watching your gargantuan big screen on the fishing channel.. then pass out and shut up.
GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

faithfulvol writes:

I look forward to the Lady Vol future. Look out for the next few years. Tough year, but WOW to what is ahead. This team is going to be a powerhouse next year, no doubt!
Go Lady Vols

topgun writes:

in response to bmaples:

Bruce in Louisville
www.brucemaples.com

Bruce--easy there....Congrats on all the family achievements, but I am suprised at your senseless and violent reaction to a realitivly harmless comment like xvolx made. The comment was about "liberal Psychobabel", (probably an oxymoron) meaning sitting around the campfire singing, "Kum by ya" and "Row, row your boat" might make you feel all warm and fuzzy--but, it won't help CPS and the UTLVs win many NCs.

Call me Rush krap, call me prejudiced, but I think CPS and her coaching staff would agree with the comments about hard work helping to achieve goals. CPS is the poster child for that mindset.

Getting blown out in the 1st round of the NCAA tourney by a 12 seed ain't exactly where UT wants or needs to be. Pat, and the world, knows that this group of UTLVs might need a little hard work to improve!!

And, I will bring anything to this site I want to as long as it is on topic or close. You are the one who brought up the politics (Rush Krap?? Where did that come from??) The work ethic is heart and soul Pat Summitt. Evidently, you think it's "Pat krap??"

Moreover,don't ever lecture me on proper site protocol. And since you brought it up, can anyone spell "socialism?"

BigRMan writes:

Coach Summitt is accepting her share of the blame for what happened to this year's squad. Only time will tell how many team members really do accept their share, and are able to work to improve their individual and collective efforts towards the '09-'10 season. There may be some team members unwilling or just physically or mentally unable to harness their abilities to bear up under the pressure of being a Lady Vol Women's basketball player. Maybe the ire of some of the alumni will light a fire. Sadly maybe some of this year's talent was over-evaluated (rated too highly) It may take some player turnover, it may take some assistant coaching changes. The LV program and tradition is a proud one, and deserves participants with the ability and attitude to treat it as such.

ladyvolmaniac writes:

Gonna sort the mules from the race horses...that's what this is about!!!!
Remember a few yrs back when several players decided not to return. (I think that was at end of Candace's redshirt freshman yr..Hornbuckle and Anosike freshmen too)....Well we've watched Sybil Dosty the last few days playing for Arizona State...she did good there...don't know why she left Lady Vols but she was one that did ok where she went. April McDivitt and S.Gatewood-Wiley were a couple of others...Don't think they fared as well.
So odds are that maybe there will be a mule or two in this pack.....this is probably Coach Pat's way of sortin' them out....good for her cause its got to be done. We can't go next year with it the way it was this year. Maybe incomers will help...hopefully a LOT...
I think Coach Pat should be trolling the Jr. Colleges and hope to hook another pair like she got last time. Cause if Baugh and Cain aren't ready to go they need to redshirt the year rather than waste eligibility time......somebody has GOT to be in the wings with experience to fill those slots!!!!!! I don't think it is currently on our bench or for that fact our team.

topgun writes:

Note:

It appears the KNS staff doen't like the word Krap spelled with a "C" as it's first letter. Automatically changes those words to a generic "phooey." So when you first read a post with the word C..rap in it and you respond to that word--all of a sudden--it reads "phooey."

Got to run--have a John Birch Society meeting to go to and got to keep up listening to all of my precious Rush Krap tapes and Sean H on the radio.

UTAlum88 (Inactive) writes:

Wonder if any of the players gave the 'No' answer to are you in or out? The article didn't really say...And I'd read somewhere that Glory Johnson has been rumored to be thinking about going elsewhere. HOPE NOT!

I live in San Antonio now. The Silver Stars have Shanna Zolman Crossley on their team. A friend who has connections with the Stars organization says Shanna told her having Pat as a coach was the hardest thing she has ever been through. But that she is also a better player now than she ever dreamed she could be because of Coach Summitt. I think that speaks volumes to Pat's ability to make players realize they have more potential than they ever thought possible. I mean, Zolman has a career as a WNBA player. By her own admission, that probably wouldn't have happened if she had gone anywhere else other than UT to learn for Coach Pat.

ps11824 writes:

One has to laugh at the mentality of some of the posters. They think they are clever calling folks by the opposite gender, little accusatory remarks that they would not dare say to someone like Pat Summitt eye to eye. Those posters have no substance. They speak of class as if they have some.

If you had the opportunity to sacrifice your vacation to better your work team, would you be man enough to do so? Heck no. You have nothing to offer society. You have only 'an entitlement mentality' such as the class of posters who continue to try to bring down the morale of this thread.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

Mike plan on growing up anytime soon? have you heard what goes around comes around? Congrats on Ucon season which will probably end with an undefeated national championship. Humility goes along way to people having sensible(non-hate,sarcastic spewing) dialogue. That includes UT fans not being caustic towards Ucon fans whether they(Ucon) are abrasive like you or others who take the high road in their comments to not further the negative dialogue. So enjoy the great accomplishment that looks like a foregone conclusion.